A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III

And then they "schooled" the RedSox...in Boston.
    Every year differs. Every situation is different.

So what you are saying then is that even though you think Boston's chances against Tigers are better than their chances against TX, you still go for the conventional thought process of winning the division...in a year where home advantage isn't that great considering the team's road record. 

What good is home advantage if the chances are greater of being bounced early?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Its all about mentality. I believe deep down that for years Tito and the FO has chosen the easiest route to victory... they don't care about winning the division. That mentality along with the idea your very best starters should be limited to 100 pitches or 6 innings (whichever comes first) regardless of the importance of victory the team will always choose the former.  

This mantra has filtered down to the players and it makes the team soft. I don't recall ever hearing a New Yorker debate the merits of settling for the wild card, do you?

This is how I feel, and have felt this way for more than one season... I don't need to state it further or stronger, just one man's opinion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

That's cool. I respect UR opinion here. In most years, I'd agree that the division is the goal. Never saw a situation to really compromise that mindset until this year, potentially speaking.

At the same time, I think the thought process can give way to circumstance, or at least should be acknowledged as such.
    I certainly don't feel opting for a lesser opponent in the key first round can be
    construed as "quitting". Do you still feel that way?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I used the word quitting due to the fact you were using that word quite heavily towards some others. 

At this point its almost not worth haggling over as the Sox are as far back from the Yankees as Tampa is from Boston. Its Wild Card or nothing. That is sort of my point about it, maybe had we been absolute about 1st since April we might have another 3 or 4 wins under our belt. Each game does matter to me.

It seems (though not every single time) that the manager will rest his best hitters at the wrong time or pull our #1 thru 3 starter in a close game all for the sake of preparing for the post-season; this starts in May.

I would think the above mind set would be very useful if we were 10 games ahead of New York in August. We are seldom in that scenerio though. 

We hang by a string at the most critical time... and in part because the organization is too soft.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Home-field advantage is just that - an advantage. During this entire losing streak all we hear is "maybe when they get back to Fenway,".... 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Tito had his career cut short due to injury, and he's had several operations, so maybe he's more acute to preventative maintenance. It's hard to argue with his track record. I do think Torre, whom I respect as a manager, had a tendency to burn his BP out in August, and it was telling.

The reason Boston often plays second fiddle and has to look over their shoulder more so than they'd like is that they have been outspent by half a billion dollars over the last decade. The RedSox don't have the luxury of making as many mistakes. If NY had been in a different division the last 10-15 years, think about how that would alter FO/manager mindset.

Accusations of quitting shouldn't ever be made simply because I use the same terminology. Nor should it be used lightly. And I think you know I have never used it without backing up the statement every time. Pink hats who can't cut the ride that the rest of us grind out every game should be called out for it. But even they often don't quit. They vent. There's a huge difference. If the situation warrants the title, so be it. Giving up means giving up. Nothing less. And it's a dangerous habit to fall into...beyond baseball. 

Where would your life be now if you just gave up and didn't fight for what you have or what you feel is right?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Its a baseball forum. I know already that 85% of my assumptions to how other posters might be in the real world are probably not all that accurate. As it is I think moon is Freud, its imbedded in my brain.

As far as "quitting" what I should have said is your comment about better positioning to face the Tigers seemed to fit right into all I have just said, the mentaility of not being concerend with the division title. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III:
    Its a baseball forum. I know already that 85% of my assumptions to how other posters might be in the real world are probably not all that accurate. As it is I think moon is Freud, its imbedded in my brain.As far as "quitting" what I should have said is your comment about better positioning to face the Tigers seemed to fit right into all I have just said, the mentaility of not being concerend with the division title. 
    Posted by BurritoT

That's pretty good. I see Moon as this heavy thinker because of his avatar.
    He's taken some heat about it. That's why I chose to never use one. I'm pigeon-holed enough as it is.

Home advantage is a real gray area, which is why it interests me...to the point of taking a repetitive stand about venue so as to try and determine where one begins and the other ends. Maybe that's why I don't see home advantage as such a big deal for Boston this year. Fenway is not kind to our pitching staff.

They can beat any team in any venue, if healthy enough. And they don't get home advantage if they get to the WS. So, it really comes down to having it in two rounds. And the second round is academic if they don't get to it.

I think playing the Tigers outweighs playing TX w/home advantage.
    But it could hurt the team in a potential round two.
    Anyway, as you say, it's really not a factor right now.
    Sad thing is, I felt all year NY would take a swoon at some point. And it happened  just when the injuries started to pile up.

Couldn't have happened at a worse time.
    Undecided

Or maybe it's a blessing in disguise.
    Foot in mouth

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

To Burrito T and Harness.... just wanted to say that the last 9+ posts between you guys is everything that a discussion board like this should be. Despite some differing opinions, you were both insightful and respectful. Good job by both of you. :0)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Dangerous analysis but thank you, Tongue out

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bucky-dent. Show bucky-dent's posts

numbers are useless this time of year. I think the braves could sneak in and take the whole thing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes it was, but every year is different. 2011: TX pitching staff In TX:   4.45 ERA  1.319 WHIP     .745 OPP OPS Away: 3.29 ERA  1.201 WHIP  .667 OPS  2010: In TX: 3.65 ERA    1.294 WHIP  .704 OPS AWAY: 4.24 ERA   1.326 WHIP  .714 OPS   That's quite a reversal. The staff is maturing and able to excel on the road now. They are a better road team this year despite hitting poorly away from home. Yes they lost Lee. But Wilson is having a strong year. And he's tough on Boston. Last two years: 1.09 ERA (34.3 IP). Wilson vs. NY & BS in 2011: 1.77 ERA  1.182 WHIP In 2010: 2.81 ERA  1.246 WHIP Lewis is beatable, but overall, I think TX has a deeper staff than the Tigers considering everything. And pitchers have little margin for error against that TX line-up.
    Posted by harness

Maturing on the road, but way worse at home compared to last year? I'd rather have last year's starters with Lee hands down, especially in the playoffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Carl Yastrzemski
     Bernie Carbo
     Carlton Fisk
     Dave Henderson
     Don Baylor
     Tom Brunansky
     Mark Belhorn
     Johnny Damon
     Dave Roberts
     JD Drew
     David Ortiz

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

The encouraging thing now is that they've hit bottom and it looks like they're embarassed.  Being professionals, in a bizzare way, this might be the impetus they need to turn things around around.  If this happens, the timing would be great.
    Posted by ampoule

Agree. I would rather have a slump the first 2 weeks of September than the last 2 weeks. Our bats have to be super-sharp right now and carry us. They need to take advantage of every single mistake-pitch that gets thrown and make it count on the scoreboard. Honestly, the kind of slump the Sox have been in, I'm surprised they're only 4 games out of first.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Slumps on a team like this rarely last more than 10-14 days.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I predicted a win for Wake tonight based on odds, not because I think he can still pitch. If we don't win this game I think we are finaly at that perilous level.

The Jays starter is failry bad though, so the team offense can still win this.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

I predicted a win for Wake tonight based on odds, not because I think he can still pitch. If we don't win this game I think we are finaly at that perilous level. The Jays starter is failry bad though, so the team offense can still win this.
    Posted by BurritoT

I think they win tonight too. It might not be how we want them to win, but I feel confident they do. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't like having to hope Baltimore wins.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

I don't like having to hope Baltimore wins.
    Posted by moonslav59

Yeah well. It's the AL East. These things happen. Consider it an addition to the Post Season. O's have a chance ( losing 2-1 lst time I checked. It's possible ).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, any team can win on any given day. That's why basbeall plays 162 games (and for the money too).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I want Wake to get this win tonight, we need to move past two obstacles tonight: #200 and ending the losing streak.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The slump is over.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Jacoby now has 72 XBH for the season and we are not done yet. He is putting up MVP type numbers. He now has 2 HR over the Monster in LF and that is a game changer going forward. He might top 40 HR next year at this pace. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If he had been in LF this year, he'd have 35 already...just ask softy.

Sections
Shortcuts