A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : I thought you were referring to same division. Oh yeah, the number of times a team plays another beyond their own division is  odd, like in interleague play. Some seasons Boston will play Seattle more than the Angels. It eventually equals out over the years, although inter-league scheduling is tricky in this regard.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I kind of didn't understand Moon's post; Clev & ChW have the same record, and it's one of his few hair splitting posts that's a straw grasper.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : I think there's a method to Terry's madness; given the SP situation, he knows he only has to win 2 to put TB to bed; so he threw a sacrificial lamb out there today (and hope for, perhaps, a miracle), in order to get his chips aligned for the rest of the series; better that than to lose tonight and burn the team out given private fatigue and injury issues all teams have and manager's have to deal with this time of year. The last thing he's worried about are fickle fans. 
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

I don't buy that Steve. The team obviously had no choice. My hope was Bedard would tough it out. His situation might be worse than anticipated. Ya just don't risk the season on a kid like Weiland unless there's no viable alternative available.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : I realize Farrell had his short-comings. He's human. But the two critical areas for a PC beyond his ability are communication skills and dedication. And he was quite good in both areas. Pitchers said this more than once. The team advocates not using slide-step (Bedard does, but he always has, and it doesn't seem to affect his velocity). And they are insistent about training regime. Farrell simply carried that out. I wouldn't measure Farrell's skills with the media on that one occasion with Dice. He was interviewed often and was always kind and accessible. Dice ripped the FO and Farrell reacted. Perhaps he would have done it differently if he could have done it again, but I wouldn't blame him either way.   To draw an awkward analogy, sometime ago I started a Wake thread called: TIM WAKEFIELD: AN HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE. It was long before the flood of wake threads we see now. Overall, it was a good thread with informative responses. Except for one NY jerk, who went after Joel49 . Now, Joel is as well-mannered a poster as you will ever find on this board. Just a wonderful presence. Man, I'll tell ya, Joel lit into him and admitted was really upset. Just goes to show we are all human.

Like goalies, kickers, managers, coaches, stock brokers, bond traders, CEOs, presidents, Czars, and dictators,  Pitching Coaches can have strange career arcs: Cases in point: Leo Mazzone was a legendary pitching coach with Atl; he was let go rather quickly in Balt; ditto Rick Peterson via Oak/NYM (he insisted on trading Kazmir for a pitcher who was a complete flop - last name was Zambrano, but not that fruitcake on the ChN)  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Wow! MLBN commentators sure aren't pulling any punches on their comments on the BoSox. They're acting like they scored 9 runs vs Beckett or Lester.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : I thought you were referring to same division. Oh yeah, the number of times a team plays another beyond their own division is  odd, like in interleague play. Some seasons Boston will play Seattle more than the Angels. It eventually equals out over the years, although inter-league scheduling is tricky in this regard.

It seems the schedulers could make it more even. just swap 2 games from Cleve to CWS and make em 8-8, not 10-6.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : It seems the schedulers could make it more even. just swap 2 games from Cleve to CWS and make em 8-8, not 10-6.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

To repeat, how is Clev that much better than the CWS? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Not that it matters, but moon/harness check out who was catching Andrew Miller's relief job tonight....seems to me Andrew does quite well with Salty catching him. But we may never see Andrew start again. As for the Sox farm system, for all the money spent, all the Moneyball technology, etc, the Sox farm system has been an absolute failure at developing Starting Pitchers. Flat out clown car from Pawtucket, Weiland just another one who will not amount to much.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They aren't. That wasn't my "sidenote" point. I just think it is strange not to play equal or within one game vs other AL division teams. I understand why the NL schedule will be unbalanced.

My point about our record vs the AL Central (not including Det) was in response to harmess pointing out that the only reason Det was ahead of Boston was that the killed the other 4 teams in the AL Central. I pointed out that if Boston had killed those same 4 teams at the same winning% as Det has vs them, we'd be ahead of Det.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : Like goalies, kickers, managers, coaches, stock brokers, bond traders, CEOs, presidents, Czars, and dictators,  Pitching Coaches can have strange career arcs: Cases in point: Leo Mazzone was a legendary pitching coach with Atl; he was let go rather quickly in Balt; ditto Rick Peterson via Oak/NYM (he insisted on trading Kazmir for a pitcher who was a complete flop - last name was Zambrano, but not that fruitcake on the ChN)  
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

The reason is because it's tough to differentiate where their (pitching coaches)influence ends and normal or accepted level of injuries/under-performance begins.
    There are tell-tale signs if you are acute to them.

I have never hammered any RedSox pitching coach in the past. Never.
    This time it was obvious, even back in May.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : It seems the schedulers could make it more even. just swap 2 games from Cleve to CWS and make em 8-8, not 10-6.

It has to do with availability. Swapping two games affects other teams who play the Tribe and the Chisox. Schedule-making isn't easy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : The reason is because it's tough to differentiate where their (pitching coaches)influence ends and normal or accepted level of injuries/under-performance begins. There are tell-tale signs if you are acute to them. I have never hammered any RedSox pitching coach in the past. Never. This time it was obvious, even back in May.

Last year the forum was obsessive in bashing Farrell. It is predictable that a scapegoat is always needed and convenient. Let the trolls be your guide on this.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : Last year the forum was obsessive in bashing Farrell. It is predictable that a scapegoat is always needed and convenient. Let the trolls be your guide on this.
    Posted by BeaconHill19[/QUOTE]

I said I posted it in MAY. No scapegoat was needed in May. The team played well in May. What's predictable is UR cop act.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So, if the staff has a great season next year, will it be due to Young's influence?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : It has to do with availability. Swapping two games affects other teams who play the Tribe and the Chisox. Schedule-making isn't easy.

I mean, I guess. Maybe if Bud didn't check to see if every thread count matched on each individual jersey or cap he'd have time to make a balanced schedule.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]So, if the staff has a great season next year, will it be due to Young's influence?

Only if he's not a part of it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]So, if the staff has a great season next year, will it be due to Young's influence?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]No. It would be Jason Varitek and his influence on Salty.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : I mean, I guess. Maybe if Bud didn't check to see if every thread count matched on each individual jersey or cap he'd have time to make a balanced schedule.
    Posted by emp9[/QUOTE]

Nah. He'd still have to devote time to placate Torre.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]Oh no! The dreaded 3rd person.

lol, yes. O I would rather have had BurritoT to be wrong, but BurritoT ever the cynicwas in-tune to this shadowy problem far in advance of most wise men. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Some odds and ends:

I was impressed watching Tazawa pitch the other night. Never know what one can expect coming off TJ surgery. He threw 92-93 and buried an inside swinging strike against Bautista. He throws harder now than he did before the surgery.

He gave up some Fenwy doubles and likely was nervous, but his control (59 SO/13 BB) in AAA indicates his command will return. He's the antithesis of Dice in that he goes after hitters. I really hope they re-sign him. They may have something here.
    He's been through a lot and doesn't seem to rattle.

DCater is approaching 5K posts. Not easy to reach on a forum that eyeballs those once snagged. Nice job, DC.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I liked Taz 2 years ago, and had hoped he'd have returned sooner. I agree, he may be worth an extension or re-sign.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m