3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III

Thank you, harn

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

dannycater, congrats to a true Sox fan. I enjoy your posts and outlook.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I feel really confident we will win the next 2.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Angels got spanked. New York lost again.... good day.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Take at least one of the next two, I think.

Puts us 4 games up on TBR with 10 to play.

Means if the Red Sox just go 5-5 for the next 10 games, TBR has to win all 10 to take the WC without tiebreaker. Think the Red Sox would lose on the tiebreaker at this point, so let's say 9-1.  Unlikely TBR will do that, even with those young stud arms of theirs.

Getting ahead of myself as always here, but my concern is more with the pitching staff and the ALDS.  Back in the day, Theo had designed a team that woudl make the playoffs and go deep into Oct. - looking at a rotation of Lester, Buch, Lackey and Beckett and Dice-K with Wakes coming out for long relief and spot starts..  

Reasonable and right to expect great things, then.  In April.   Looked like a solid plan.  In April.  When we were fantasizing about winning 100+ games and going deep into October. In April.

Jaws dropped in the press and on this forum at the thought of BOS with Gonzalez and Crawford in addition to Youk, Papi, Pedey, and a recovered Ellsbury.

Did I mention that all of this was going on in our imaginations in April? 

Yeah we'll score 1,000 runs and the pitching staff will have a WHIP of 0.89.

The plan assumed reasonable health on everyone's part. No bursitis or sports hernias or Tommy John surgery. But that was in April.

Those were the days.  I miss them already.

But I am not - repeat not - sitting by the television with a bottle of whiskey and a revolver. Not even wanting to sandbag the Yankee trollers either. Instant karma - not me - will get them and that karma will do a better job than I ever could of humbling each and every one. 

Uh, uh.  Can't wait to see our bad boys try and do some damage in the ALDS.  No panic buttons and no pity.  C'mon, let's enjoy this. This ain't Pittsburgh, after all.

Step out of character and kick some  butt, Tito. Pretty please.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Beckett looked healthy. If we get Beddard back, I'm really confident.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III:
    [QUOTE]Angels got spanked. New York lost again.... good day.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Even better if Tigers/M's hold on. If they do, Tigers will have a two game lead over TX. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Tigers could be the surprise here, harness. i swear they scare me.

Their having Justin Verlander may be a root cause of this fear.

What think, moon?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Tigers could be the surprise here, harness. i swear they scare me. Their having Justin Verlander may be a root cause of this fear. What think, moon?
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

Tigers have been hot, so there's no surprise. They may even be favored if they meet Boston given their (deceptive) seasonal record.
    But Verlander can't win the series alone.
    I'd rather face the Tigers over any other PO contender. Boston matches up well against them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Take at least one of the next two, I think. Puts us 4 games up on TBR with 10 to play. Means if the Red Sox just go 5-5 for the next 10 games, TBR has to win all 10 to take the WC without tiebreaker. Think the Red Sox would lose on the tiebreaker at this point, so let's say 9-1.  Unlikely TBR will do that, even with those young stud arms of theirs. Getting ahead of myself as always here, but my concern is more with the pitching staff and the ALDS.  Back in the day, Theo had designed a team that woudl make the playoffs and go deep into Oct. - looking at a rotation of Lester, Buch, Lackey and Beckett and Dice-K with Wakes coming out for long relief and spot starts..   Reasonable and right to expect great things, then.  In April.   Looked like a solid plan.  In April.  When we were fantasizing about winning 100+ games and going deep into October. In April. Jaws dropped in the press and on this forum at the thought of BOS with Gonzalez and Crawford in addition to Youk, Papi, Pedey, and a recovered Ellsbury. Did I mention that all of this was going on in our imaginations in April?  Yeah we'll score 1,000 runs and the pitching staff will have a WHIP of 0.89. The plan assumed reasonable health on everyone's part. No bursitis or sports hernias or Tommy John surgery. But that was in April. Those were the days.  I miss them already. But I am not - repeat not - sitting by the television with a bottle of whiskey and a revolver. Not even wanting to sandbag the Yankee trollers either. Instant karma - not me - will get them and that karma will do a better job than I ever could of humbling each and every one.  Uh, uh.  Can't wait to see our bad boys try and do some damage in the ALDS.  No panic buttons and no pity.  C'mon, let's enjoy this. This ain't Pittsburgh, after all. Step out of character and kick some  butt, Tito. Pretty please.  

Glad to hear it. I'd hate to have to travel that many miles just to hit you
    upside da head.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]dannycater, congrats to a true Sox fan. I enjoy your posts and outlook.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

thanks moon, truly respect your entire style of posting as well as your insight on all that is baseball. you back up so much of what you say with facts instead of rhetoric, and you are a true fan of the team. . .you also defend players who need defending and criticize players who truly deserve it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

wanted to make sure this post appeared on this thread. like being at home.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Very classy DC.
    Your office is currently under construction.
    It'll be three doors down from Moon's.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]Take at least one of the next two, I think. Puts us 4 games up on TBR with 10 to play. Means if the Red Sox just go 5-5 for the next 10 games, TBR has to win all 10 to take the WC without tiebreaker. Think the Red Sox would lose on the tiebreaker at this point, so let's say 9-1.  Unlikely TBR will do that, even with those young stud arms of theirs. Getting ahead of myself as always here, but my concern is more with the pitching staff and the ALDS.  Back in the day, Theo had designed a team that woudl make the playoffs and go deep into Oct. - looking at a rotation of Lester, Buch, Lackey and Beckett and Dice-K with Wakes coming out for long relief and spot starts..   Reasonable and right to expect great things, then.  In April.   Looked like a solid plan.  In April.  When we were fantasizing about winning 100+ games and going deep into October. In April. Jaws dropped in the press and on this forum at the thought of BOS with Gonzalez and Crawford in addition to Youk, Papi, Pedey, and a recovered Ellsbury. Did I mention that all of this was going on in our imaginations in April?  Yeah we'll score 1,000 runs and the pitching staff will have a WHIP of 0.89. The plan assumed reasonable health on everyone's part. No bursitis or sports hernias or Tommy John surgery. But that was in April. Those were the days.  I miss them already. But I am not - repeat not - sitting by the television with a bottle of whiskey and a revolver. Not even wanting to sandbag the Yankee trollers either. Instant karma - not me - will get them and that karma will do a better job than I ever could of humbling each and every one.  Uh, uh.  Can't wait to see our bad boys try and do some damage in the ALDS.  No panic buttons and no pity.  C'mon, let's enjoy this. This ain't Pittsburgh, after all. Step out of character and kick some  butt, Tito. Pretty please.  

Terrific post Summer!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Guys, we dodged a bullet today. It could have gone either way and we might have gotten extraordinary help to get the result we did. It's not over yet. I'm also confident but how would we feel if we were 2 games back right now, with Price against Wakefield in the final game of this series?

I think we have to assume that Youk is basically gone at this point. None of our pitchers are really shutting down anyone. The Rays proved that they can run on us with impunity. As mentioned earlier, I think our road in the playoffs is a lot harder unless Buchholz contributes as a starter. 

Bedard is important also but we will need all hands on deck.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

They got Bedard because of Buch's unavailability.
    I say neither Buch nor Drew will be on the PO roster in round one.
    They will baby Youk for the PO's, but his hitting form will be a huge question mark.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

I

n Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : Glad to hear it. I'd hate to have to travel that many miles just to hit you upside da head.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

UR a funny man Summaaaaaaaah!
    Keep the faith.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Sure you guys have covered this.... interesting to me today when I checked:

Offensivley Boston is #1 in the Majors in runs, hits, doubles, ribbies, .obp, slugging, and .ops. We are tied for first in BA.

Thats impressive considering how much floundering are offense has done since September 1st.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

[QUOTE]Guys, we dodged a bullet today. It could have gone either way and we might have gotten extraordinary help to get the result we did. It's not over yet. I'm also confident but how would we feel if we were 2 games back right now, with Price against Wakefield in the final game of this series? I think we have to assume that Youk is basically gone at this point. None of our pitchers are really shutting down anyone. The Rays proved that they can run on us with impunity. As mentioned earlier, I think our road in the playoffs is a lot harder unless Buchholz contributes as a starter.  Bedard is important also but we will need all hands on deck.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

For sure they proved that they can run on Beckett.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

burrito, it's in itself head-scratching and if you take harness's take that Fenway distorts and my take that the team is a Road Warrior (no longer juggernaut...:-)
    you can almost surely see that the Sox offense has been great all season. Here's the problem...the Sox can put up a 13,14,15 spot every four or five games, they have stretches where they have destroyed their opponent and they have cushioned themselves statistically that they can go into woeful smaller team slumps and it just doesn't affect the overall. I call this whole thing simply Baseball. I felt the 2003 team offensively was a juggernaut all year with lesser pitching overall, but maybe the 2011 team is just a little more schitzoid in its offense.

2003---23 times Sox scored 10 runs or more, 33 times 2 or less runs
    (5 of those shutout)....5 automatic losses.
    2011--with 12 games to play---24 times scored 10 or more (--NONE IN THE FIRST 45 GAMES....UNBELIEVABLE). 36 times 2 or less runs (11 of those by shutout).....11 automatic losses...The 2011 team 6 more Ls due to no offense

If the Sox win 8 of their last 12 games they will have the same record as the 2003 team. What's the moral of the story? I don't have one. It just seems
    that there is certainly some offense similarities to the 03 team, the ability to put up crooked numbers at any moment. But this 11 team has an ability to go quiet and quiet fast, already more 2 or less run games, nearly double the shutouts against of the 03 team. Seems that the pressure is squarely on the pitching staff to perform because doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to when the Sox will hit or not--and they have put up a lot of their big-run games on the road (11 of the 24 double digits). Anyway, don't understimate the Sox offense either. They are No. 1 in all these categories and that says a lot.