A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III:
    [QUOTE]UR a funny man Summaaaaaaaah! Keep the faith.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

harness, old friend!

I will indeed keep the faith, as the faith keeps me.

Still, I believe. And so do you!

No worries. E tutte bene. It's all good.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]wanted to make sure this post appeared on this thread. like being at home.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Congrats on the milestone, dc.

Kudos. You're 2000 ahead of me!  Yowza!

Postings aren't like pitch counts, btw.

They don't take you out of the game after a certain number has been reached.

Thanks goodness for that.

Keep on posting, buddy!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

wanted to make sure this post appeared on this thread. like being at home.

I feel honored. Thanks, danny. Your posts are one reason I come to this site. You have tirelessly defended Wake and others in need of defending.  I respect your views: even the few I disagree with. (Very few)

2003---23 times Sox scored 10 runs or more, 33 times 2 or less runs 
    (5 of those shutout)....5 automatic losses.
    2011--with 12 games to play---24 times scored 10 or more (--NONE IN THE FIRST 45 GAMES....UNBELIEVABLE). 36 times 2 or less runs (11 of those by shutout).....11 automatic losses...The 2011 team 6 more Ls due to no offense

If the Sox win 8 of their last 12 games they will have the same record as the 2003 team. What's the moral of the story? I don't have one. It just seems
    that there is certainly some offense similarities to the 03 team, the ability to put up crooked numbers at any moment. But this 11 team has an ability to go quiet and quiet fast, already more 2 or less run games, nearly double the shutouts against of the 03 team. Seems that the pressure is squarely on the pitching staff to perform because doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to when the Sox will hit or not--and they have put up a lot of their big-run games on the road (11 of the 24 double digits). Anyway, don't understimate the Sox offense either. They are No. 1 in all these categories and that says a lot.

Great info danny, this is one reason I haven't posted another "TB Rays Are Not Going Away" thread, because I felt they did "go away" over a month ago, not because they were worse than I had expected or projected, but becaause the Yanks were better than I had thought. I never had any doubt that we were better than the Rays...never! Even with all the injuries, this team is still too strong to not believe in.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

likewise, moon, why i come to this site, there are about I would say some 20 or so posters who bring up great points, or have good thoughts, subject matter, etc. summer, thanks, man. I may disagree with a lot of those posts from others, but that doesn't mean I don't like the poster posting them or have respect for that poster. It's public discourse at its best.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]They got Bedard because of Buch's unavailability. I say neither Buch nor Drew will be on the PO roster in round one. They will baby Youk for the PO's, but his hitting form will be a huge question mark.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]
    We now have a power rating of #8. We have dropped a lot recently. We are not favored at all in the playoffs unfortunately.

When Youk is hitting under .200 since the all star break and he has 3 injuries, including the same one Cameron had last year which he failed with trying to play through, I'm going with Lowrie and Aviles. I don't like it but that is the best course at this point. The guy is a mega stud to even be playing at all. and no one has more respect for Youk than I. We all think the world of him right? I have to go with the numbers and medical evals at this point. He has about 2 weeks to prove that he can contribute. If the trend lines don't change he sits for the playoffs.

Fister really changes the dynamic in Detroit. He's a new development. Detroit might do very well in the PO, although losing Bosch is a big development.

I know I'm harping on Buchholz. Sorry. To me, a strong case could be made that he was our best pitcher over the last 18 months. He is very important to this team's success. With him healthy we were probably favored to win it all even without Youk. Bedard is a big help but it will be a fluke if we win it all without something significant from Buchholz. He can get good hitters out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

They are now saying Buchholz might get a start before year end. He could still make the PO roster IMO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Your lips to God's ears, Boomer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Boom, if Youk plays like he did the other night, I can't see him helping anytime soon.  He looks really hurt, his swings painful.  I'm assuming because of Lowrie's injury history, we will be bringing someone up from the minors.  Who do you think?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I know I'm harping on Buchholz. Sorry. To me, a strong case could be made that he was our best pitcher over the last 18 months. He is very important to this team's success. With him healthy we were probably favored to win it all even without Youk. Bedard is a big help but it will be a fluke if we win it all without something significant from Buchholz. He can get good hitters out.

2010-2011

Buch  23-10  2.70  1.23
    Lest   34-16  3.16   1.21
    Beck  19-11  3.87   1.22
    Dice   12-9   4.81   1.39
    Lack  26-23  5.13   1.49
    Wake 11-16  5.23  1.34

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]I feel really confident we will win the next 2.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

When was the last time we won 2 in a row?  We are playing .300 ball for the month. 

I get the feeling that if we win tomorow too many here start to believe the team is really going anywhere. We have almost no chance to win in the play-offs.

Such a long season, and to have it unwind this way is painfull.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]burrito, it's in itself head-scratching and if you take harness's take that Fenway distorts and my take that the team is a Road Warrior (no longer juggernaut...:-) you can almost surely see that the Sox offense has been great all season. Here's the problem...the Sox can put up a 13,14,15 spot every four or five games, they have stretches where they have destroyed their opponent and they have cushioned themselves statistically that they can go into woeful smaller team slumps and it just doesn't affect the overall. I call this whole thing simply Baseball. I felt the 2003 team offensively was a juggernaut all year with lesser pitching overall, but maybe the 2011 team is just a little more schitzoid in its offense. 2003--- 23 times Sox scored 10 runs or more, 33 times 2 or less runs (5 of those shutout)....5 automatic losses. 2011--with 12 games to play--- 24 times scored 10 or more (--NONE IN THE FIRST 45 GAMES....UNBELIEVABLE). 36 times 2 or less runs (11 of those by shutout).....11 automatic losses...The 2011 team 6 more Ls due to no offense If the Sox win 8 of their last 12 games they will have the same record as the 2003 team. What's the moral of the story? I don't have one. It just seems that there is certainly some offense similarities to the 03 team, the ability to put up crooked numbers at any moment. But this 11 team has an ability to go quiet and quiet fast, already more 2 or less run games, nearly double the shutouts against of the 03 team. Seems that the pressure is squarely on the pitching staff to perform because doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to when the Sox will hit or not--and they have put up a lot of their big-run games on the road (11 of the 24 double digits). Anyway, don't understimate the Sox offense either. They are No. 1 in all these categories and that says a lot.  
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Then I'll give you one: Hitting is as good as the opposing pitcher allows it to be.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : When was the last time we won 2 in a row?  We are playing .300 ball for the month.  I get the feeling that if we win tomorow too many here start to believe the team is really going anywhere. We have almost no chance to win in the play-offs. Such a long season, and to have it unwind this way is painfull.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]
    The Red Sox last won two in a row in a doubleheader sweep of Oakland on August 27.

The Sox need to go at least 8-3 (.727) in their final 11 games to have a better September record (12-15) than their April record (11-15).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : We now have a power rating of #8. We have dropped a lot recently. We are not favored at all in the playoffs unfortunately. When Youk is hitting under .200 since the all star break and he has 3 injuries, including the same one Cameron had last year which he failed with trying to play through, I'm going with Lowrie and Aviles. I don't like it but that is the best course at this point. The guy is a mega stud to even be playing at all. and no one has more respect for Youk than I. We all think the world of him right? I have to go with the numbers and medical evals at this point. He has about 2 weeks to prove that he can contribute. If the trend lines don't change he sits for the playoffs. Fister really changes the dynamic in Detroit. He's a new development. Detroit might do very well in the PO, although losing Bosch is a big development. I know I'm harping on Buchholz. Sorry. To me, a strong case could be made that he was our best pitcher over the last 18 months. He is very important to this team's success. With him healthy we were probably favored to win it all even without Youk. Bedard is a big help but it will be a fluke if we win it all without something significant from Buchholz. He can get good hitters out.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

I had a back and forth on Fister with Hill55. His numbers in hitting venues and against the likely PO teams aren't that great. His current numbers reflect playing Central competition. He doesn't scare me at all.

I don't expect Buch on the PO roster in round one, his optimism aside. Not enough time. Youk's issues are really problematic. They can't replace his healthy bat, unless someone catches fire.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : The Red Sox last won two in a row in a doubleheader sweep of Oakland on August 27. 

That seems so long ago!

The Sox need to go 8-3 (.727) in their final 11 games to have a better September record (12-15) than their April record (11-15).
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

I thought we'd go L-W-W-W this series. Now, we look for Wake to be the "stopper" again.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

I just read about today's game.  I actually feel better about the last couple of days.  4 to 3 games as opposed to 13 to 2 games.  Pitching keeping us in games.  Bard coming around.  Tito putting on a couple of bunts.  Even Ells' mental mistake doesn't bother me that much.  Yes, it was probably a mistake but he is "trying to do too much" according to his manager which I would rather have than someone "not doing anything."  He can change the game with his speed, so an error of comission is better than an error of omission in my book.  It's probably a tough matchup tomorrow, but if we could win, we might be on our way back to better play.  Tomorrow I'm going to Oakland with two teaching buddies to see Detroit play the A's and Verlander is scheduled to pitch.  These guys are both from Mich. so they are pretty jacked up.  I'll try to have a "scouting report" for you guys tomorrow.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Pitching usually looks good against Rays. Mental mistakes cost this game. Nice to still be 94% in playoffs, instead of a china man's chance for pretender Rays. 

Wakefield is overdue to give up less than 2 homers and 5 runs in 5 or 6 innings. Rays will be bidding for Wakefield FA, along with many small market teams who need an innings eater that farms and young players can't provide. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Now that TB has not "gone away" softy has nothing left to cling too but Wake bashing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : I thought we'd go L-W-W-W this series. Now, we look for Wake to be the "stopper" again.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Just gave my take on his chances on my thread. There's hope.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

On Wake winning or softy going away?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

On Wake.
    Softy will always go away.
    Problem is, like a migraine, he keeps returning.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

If Price does beat Wake tomorrow, and the WC race remains alive and well, I wonder if any of the Yanks might play less than 100% in their remaining games with the Rays.  That is probably one of those fanimagination delusions that is out of touch with the Real World of Baseball, but there are probably a lot of fans of all three teams sharing the same paranoid thought process.  Since the way this season is going, the counterintuitive result seems to obtain as often as not, I predict that Wake's knuckler will dance enough tomorrow to be-Devil the Rays.  If that happens, the Yanks Roll Over scenario loses a lot of steam....

"Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living."

Mary Harris "Mother" Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) - 1930 (U.S.) )

when the boss comes callin' his take his toll 
    when the boss comes callin' don't you sell your soul 
    when the boss comes callin' we gotta organize 

- Dropkick Murphys (for the workers of Wisconsin)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : The Red Sox last won two in a row in a doubleheader sweep of Oakland on August 27. The Sox need to go 8-3 (.727) in their final 11 games to have a better September record (12-15) than their April record (11-15).
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

hill55 your a good stat man - always full of info. I hope we go to the play-offs and face Detroit, beating them. If we have to lose one game I hope its against Fister so we can lay it on harness Tongue out

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]    If Price does beat Wake tomorrow, and the WC race remains alive and well, I wonder if any of the Yanks might play less than 100% in their remaining games with the Rays.  That is probably one of those fanimagination delusions that is out of touch with the Real World of Baseball, but there are probably a lot of fans of all three teams sharing the same paranoid thought process.  Since the way this season is going, the counterintuitive result seems to obtain as often as not, I predict that Wake's knuckler will dance enough tomorrow to be-Devil the Rays.  If that happens, the Yanks Roll Over scenario loses a lot of steam.... " Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living. " -  Mary Harris "Mother" Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) - 1930 (U.S.) )   when the boss comes callin' his take his toll  when the boss comes callin' don't you sell your soul  when the boss comes callin' we gotta organize          - Dropkick Murphys (for the workers of Wisconsin)
    Posted by caseycsw[/QUOTE]

Beyond resting their regulars, I doubt it; the Yankees don't get caught up in fickle fandom stuff, and neither does any other team. And maybe the Yankees, at this point, fear TB more.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Id say a 6 out of 100 chance has gone away.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : Beyond resting their regulars, I doubt it; the Yankees don't get caught up in fickle fandom stuff, and neither does any other team. And maybe the Yankees, at this point, fear TB more.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

I agree, nhsteven, that such speculation smacks of fickle fandom stuff.  But how and when you rest your regulars becomes an interesting choice when and if you think you have the AL East and the AL's best record locked up.  Also, despite the current problems the Bosox have with the debilitating injuries, I doubt that the majority of the Yankee players fear the Rays more than the Red Sox.  I realize it is ludicrous to speculate on that, but if I had to stake my little baseball prognosticator life on it (all the players would be administered sodium thiopental after receiving a healthy dose of that infamous KGB mystery truth serum SP117), I would say they fear the Bosox more.....Why? Post Dramatic Stress Disorder from the 2004 ALCS. What else???
         All kindling aside, if the WC race remains alive and well into the upcoming week, this will hardly be the last annoying post on this topic...

"Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living."

Mary Harris "Mother" Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) - 1930 (U.S.) )

when the boss comes callin' his take his toll 
    when the boss comes callin' don't you sell your soul 
    when the boss comes callin' we gotta organize 

- Dropkick Murphys (for the workers of Wisconsin)