A Realistic look at 2012: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I

In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I:
    [QUOTE]Manny was tested for steroids from 2004 until exit to Dodgers. Obviously, he was getting old and needed that Dodger contract and steroid juiced after 2007 in 2008 contract year. No evidence at all that Manny was on steroids with 2004 and 2007 Red Sox. In fact, all evidence is that he was not.  MLBPA is tainted by refusal to allow HGH testing. No true Red Sox fan claims titles are tainted by Manny post-Red Sox test failures. 
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

Yeah and Arod put up his best years without being on PEDS either right! Manny got his start back in Cleveland when he played with such guys as Albert Belle. He just happened to put up a superhuman performance in his walk year with 165 RBI, 131 Runs scored, 333 average, 44 HR, Slugging .663!

I personally think Manny used for most of his career.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

It is a shame all the way through, as I believe it only ads 5-10 homers and up to 20 ribbies a year.... meaning Manny would still have been an awesome naturally talented player without cheating. On a level playing field he would still have ranked high as an upper-tier star.

The walk year you refer to may have been 140 ribbies, 110 runs scored, and 35 homers.... phenomenal season in its own.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]It is a shame all the way through, as I believe it only ads 5-10 homers and up to 20 ribbies a year.... meaning Manny would still have been an awesome naturally talented player without cheating. On a level playing field he would still have ranked high as an upper-tier star. The walk year you refer to may have been 140 ribbies, 110 runs scored, and 35 homers.... phenomenal season in its own.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Bonds might be the best example of a player who clearly would have been a superstar Hall of Famer without PED's, but couldn't resist the temptation to 'get even better'.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Agree in full Sir. I am thinking the 600 club for certain and most likely he would have reached 700+.... 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Only watched a few innings of the MLB/Taiwan series but what is interesting is the hitters (MLB) are not meandering around the batters box in between pitches.... and the MLB pitcher was tossing the ball in there quite speedily and without looking burdened (quite relaxed)... Perhaps these guys got a talk on how the game is supposed to be played, and how well respected the game is by the Taiwanese? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

djc good story... I dropped the first ball ever hit to me in L.L, it was a high pop to short and it seemed like days before it came down. All this after I swore to my coach that Short-Stop was my best position. I never played short again  Frown

Your tag up story reminds me of my hockey experience with off-sides... I had no idea about it... man that was confusing.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I got hit smack in the middle of my face by a hard grounder which hit a rock and bounced up in the Easterm Maine LL Championship series while playing 2nd. I was the #4 hitter on the team and was counted on to stay in the game and hit. The coach didn't even come out to look at me. I broke my nose but toughed it out. Tears rolling down my face. No one said a thing. Didn't even get taken to the doctor until years later. So much for ideal coaching and parenting. All anyone could think about was winning the game. Never forgot that lesson. If a kid looks hurt, no matter how important the game, at least talk to him and see how he is doing. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : Bonds might be the best example of a player who clearly would have been a superstar Hall of Famer without PED's, but couldn't resist the temptation to 'get even better'.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

HFX,
    In my mind Bond's is the poster boy for group of players that abused steriods and drastically altered their body types and the results they achieved on the field when measured against the standards of days gone bye are a clear indication. I have always contended that 90% of the players from the late 90's until the new testing program went in to effect in the fall of 2007 used to differing levels, some dabled in the use, while others abused them. Conseco, Giambi, Clemens, Sosa, Bonds and Macquire are guys that IMO clearly abused them. Then there's another group guys like Manny, Sheffield, Palmerio and Tejada to name a few, who used them to enhance their natural ability.

All of whom are guilty, but the culture in the game was one of tolarence. The trickle down effect of top guys using was that that in order to level the playing field many players I am certain were forced to use in the interest of keeping up with the joneses so they could remain relevent and compete to stay in the big leagues...to me the poster boy for that group was when Ryan Franklin tested positive, he of the 160lb frame...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No true Red Sox fan claims titles are tainted by Manny post-Red Sox test failures. 

No true fan hates and despises and bashes fully one third of the team (not counting management) he "supports".

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Name 1/3 of team. Varisuk, Wastefield, 2 fat beer drinking 2 year contract busts from texas, Lowsrie, Ellsbury is not 1/3 of the team. And knock off hate, a Leftist word to try and silence dissent and criticism.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Manny was tested for steroids from 2004 until exit to Dodgers. Obviously, he was getting old and needed that Dodger contract and steroid juiced after 2007 in 2008 contract year. No evidence at all that Manny was on steroids with 2004 and 2007 Red Sox. In fact, all evidence is that he was not.  MLBPA is tainted by refusal to allow HGH testing. No true Red Sox fan claims titles are tainted by Manny post-Red Sox test failures. 
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

im with you on this one..manny was tested and passed everyone of them with Boston..When he went to LA was when he got caught..Its like Roger, he was getting old and needed something to help him out too..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Since we're telling LL stories, I'll offer two.  I was a catcher with low to average ability and lots of desire.  There was a high foul ball pop up between home and third, and I took off like a shot, my eyes in the sky.  I forgot all about the old "bench area" which was a wooden plank supported by several sunken posts, caught the bench mid shin at full speed, doing a complete somersault over the bench--and no catch.  It hurt BAD!  But my favorite story is about Carl, our right fielder.  Carl had serious heart problems as a kid, could not speak plainly, and seemed to be somewhat challenged.  He was always placed in right field to keep him out of the way and never made a play.  His favorite pastime was watching the swallows in the outfield at dusk and NEVER watching the action in the game.  One night some kid on the other team hit a sharp screaming drive to right field.  Carl's glove was at his side but he of course was watching the swallows.  The ball slammed into his glove and stuck in the pocket, Carl jumped in shock that "something" had landed in his glove, and all the players and parents screamed and clapped like crazy that Carl had made a "big play."  Oh those golden days. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : im with you on this one..manny was tested and passed everyone of them with Boston..When he went to LA was when he got caught..Its like Roger, he was getting old and needed something to help him out too..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

Manny name along with Ortiz were on the infamous list 104 that tested positve in the mitchell report....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]I got hit smack in the middle of my face by a hard grounder which hit a rock and bounced up in the Easterm Maine LL Championship series while playing 2nd. I was the #4 hitter on the team and was counted on to stay in the game and hit. The coach didn't even come out to look at me. I broke my nose but toughed it out. Tears rolling down my face. No one said a thing. Didn't even get taken to the doctor until years later. So much for ideal coaching and parenting. All anyone could think about was winning the game. Never forgot that lesson. If a kid looks hurt, no matter how important the game, at least talk to him and see how he is doing. 
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Boom no idea how old you are but that sounds very familiar, prior 1990's. Now maybe we are to soft (handing trophies to last place teams) but boy there was little compassion from the male adults when I was a kid - they treated you like a strict parent... I recall my coaches hated losing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Name 1/3 of team. Varisuk, Wastefield, 2 fat beer drinking 2 year contract busts from texas, Lowsrie, Ellsbury is not 1/3 of the team. And knock off hate, a Leftist word to try and silence dissent and criticism.

At least you are now admitting it is "hatred" for 6 of em.

1) "Jake": a relentless barage of insults and outright lies and distortions that has continued ever since Johnny Pesky compared him to Teddy Ballgame.
     Your "reverse pivot" nonsense was the climax of your foolishness.

2) Wake: Your 100+ Wake bashing threads are proof enough.

3) VTek: Your 100+ VTek bashing threads are proof enough.

4) Jed "No Pop" Lowrie: You can't deny the hatred here.

5) Crawford: You bashed him, then wanted him to lead off instead of "Jake": brilliant.

6) Lackey: You liked the signing, but thought it was "a year too long", then back-tracked when you found out about the injury clause, then flipped again after he declined. You make Obama seem honest.

7) Beckett: You called him a "fat and lazy union slug". I guess you call that tough love: I call it hateful bashing.

8) Salty: You hated him from day one and continue to bash him endlessly.

9) Jenks: From the minute he was signed you called him "washed up", a "head case", and a "terrible signing by inEpstein". I really felt the love here.

10) Scutty: You blasted Theo for signing him, then claimed his poor 2010 season wasn't related to his injuries and playing hurt. You now deny you disagreed with my contention that Scutaro would have an OPS in Boston somewhere between his career number after 2009 and his career high number with toronto in 2009. You claimed he was "over-the hill" and would give us below his "career norm". You have called him a terrible fielder and have continously bashed him for almost 2 years.

11) DMac: You went from calling some other posters racist for wanting him cut last year, to bashing him all this season.

12) Rich Hill: I can't recall the exact words, but you were merciless about a guy who got hurt after 8 IP of 3 hit no ER ball.

There's probably a few I missed, but I count 12 out of the opening day 25 players. That's actually more than 1/3, but I was being kind.

Last year, we could add Mikey, Hermy, Cash, and some of the "scrap heap" pitchers to the list.

Who will be added next year?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Manny name along with Ortiz were on the infamous list 104 that tested positve in the mitchell report....

Those names were for testing prior to policy that provided only 10 or 20 day suspension for certain listed PED's/steroids. Manny's name was never reported as on the list. Otiz was. The report did not provide what substance lead to positive testing and was, by law, not subject to disclosure or sanction.

Starting in 2003-2004, mandatory testing began for steroids and PED's, excluding HGH and other PED's that require a blood test. Ortiz denied taking steroids and said he did not know what substance caused his name to be on the confidential list and there was no way to corroborate what the positive test substance was since the administrative test results were destroyed and were not be linked with any name. Ortiz and Manny passed every steroid and PED urine test, at least annually, from 2004 through 2007.

HGH is the likely union PED drug choice of many MLBPA members, including Tiger Woods (Dr. Galea, convicted CSA violator, desipite his denial, had an assitant who stated in detail the modus used on "blood spinning" procedure. HGH was part of the "cocktail" involved. Dr. Galea denies it in Woods' case, claiming it was not used in that case. Unlike Ortiz, in Woods' case, you have a witness who describes in detail the procedure she assisted with and that HGH was part of the procedures she assisted with. She did not assist in the Woods procedure. That is powerful circumstancial evidence against Woods. It also should be noted that the PGA Tour had no urine or any testing at all for steroids until just shortly before Woods underwent Dr. Galea blood testing procedure. PGA Tour started urine testing, after refusing for many years, which would have foreclosed steroids abusers which most certainly could have included Woods and many other PGA Tour members, because there is no blood testing needed to detect it.

But, it is a fact that no member of the 2004 or 2007 Red Sox teams urine tested at least annually, tested positive for steroids and banned substances tested for. All MLBPA members are under suspicion, but there is no evidence of violators on either of the 2004 or 2007 Red Sox players. Without an admission, A-Rod admitted to taking steroids, or detailed witness or other account of substance identity, an administrative test without the name of the substance triggering a positive test, there is no compelling evidence that Ortiz used steroids prior to 2004.

Again, all MLBPA are under suspicion for PED/CSA violations because they refuse to allow blood testing. In the Woods case, there is overwhelming detailed witness and circumstantial evidence that HGH has been introduced into his blood.

Steroids is more powerful PED than HGH, but it is very important that blood testing be implemented in MLB and golf and all major sports leagues and associations. In Ortiz and Manny cases, they were passing steroids tests at least annually during time in question. In Woods case, he passed no tests for steroids because there were none. When urine testing began which would detect steroids, his career soon began a free fall and the Dr. Galea blood spinning procedure was used around the same time frame.  Woods is clearly under suspicion for steroids use prior to testing, and, post testing, has been HGH implcated by modus operendi testimony and powerful circumstancial evidence.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's another look at the FA pitchers on the market. (I may have missed if some of these guys signed or if arb was offered.) 

I really don't think we will outbid anyone for CJ Wilson or Buehrle. I hope we don't overspend for these two. I think getting a top 3 slot pitcher via trade is the better route. I have mentioned several names and specific trade offers, but I think there are some good chances out there.

I'd love to see us get Guthrie from Baltimore or Wandy Rodriguez from Houston. Guthrie will be a FA after 21012 and the Astros are looking to shed salary. There has been some discussion about Atlanta or SF maybe trading a pitcher to bolster their weak offenses, but it might take dealing Jacoby o make that a reality, and I'm not sure that is realistic (although I'd certainly look long and hard at getting Hanson from the Braves or Cain from SF for Ellsbury). I was suggesting maybe getting a 3rd team involved and maybe getting Jurrjens or a SF starter for Youk, Lowrie, Reddick, and Iggy (maybe more).

My hope is we get a solid #1 to 3 type to be out 4th starter, and then maybe try to find a 5th starter by signing a few "projects" in hopes that one will do as well as Colon and Garcia did for the Yanks last year. I highlighted those types in Blue. Some could be offered minor league deals: others might take $1-2M to sign.

If we can't get a good pitcher via trade and have to find one FA to sign, I don't like the choices here, but the "value deals" are highlighted in Green.

Starting Pitchers

Mark Buehrle CWS
    Bruce Chen KC
    Aaron Cook COL *
    Kyle Davies TOR
    Justin Duchscherer OAK
    Zach Duke ARI *
    Jeff Francis KC
    Freddy Garcia NYY
    Jon Garland LAD
    Aaron Harang SD
    Rich Harden OAK
    Livan Hernandez WAS
    Edwin Jackson STL
    Kenshin Kawakami ATL
    Scott Kazmir LAA
    Hiroki Kuroda LAD
    Rodrigo Lopez CHC
    Paul Maholm PIT
    John Maine COL
    Jason Marquis WAS
    Kevin Millwood NYY
    Scott Olsen PIT *
    Roy Oswalt PHI *
    Brad Penny DET
    Oliver Perez NYM
    Joel Pineiro LAA
    Carlos Silva NYY
    Javier Vazquez FLA
    Tim Wakefield BOS
    Brandon Webb ARI
    C.J. Wilson TEX
    Chris Young NYM

There's certainly more relief pitchers I'd like to see o the Sox next year than starters... I'll discuss them more in a while...

Relief Pitchers

Danys Baez PHI
    Miguel Batista STL
    Heath Bell SD
    Blaine Boyer
    Jonathan Broxton LAD
    Shawn Camp TOR
    Matt Capps MIN
    Todd Coffey MIL
    Clay Condrey MIN
    Francisco Cordero CIN *
    Lance Cormier TB
    Juan Cruz TB
    Octavio Dotel STL *
    Randy Flores NYY
    Frank Francisco TOR
    Ryan Franklin STL
    Chad Gaudin WAS
    Mike Gonzalez TEX
    John Grabow CHC
    LaTroy Hawkins MIL
    Brad Lidge PHI *
    Scott Linebrink ATL
    Ryan Madson PHI
    Damaso Marte NYY *
    Sergio Mitre NYY
    Joe Nathan MIN *
    Hideki Okajima BOS
    Darren Oliver TEX
    Jonathan Papelbon BOS
    Joel Peralta TB
    Chad Qualls SD *
    Jon Rauch TOR *
    Chris Ray TEX
    Dennys Reyes BOS
    Arthur Rhodes TEX *
    Fernando Rodney LAA
    Francisco Rodriguez MIL
    George Sherrill ATL
    Rafael Soriano NYY (may opt out)
    Brian Tallet TOR
    Koji Uehara TEX *
    Tyler Walker WAS
    Kerry Wood CHC
    Jamey Wright SEA
    Michael Wuertz OAK
    Joel Zumaya DET

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Folks, I want you to take a good look at this cry baby like response, filled with prevarication, hyperbole and catatonic reaction.

At least you are now admitting it is "hatred" for 6 of em.

1) "Jake": a relentless barage of insults and outright lies and distortions that has continued ever since Johnny Pesky compared him to Teddy Ballgame.
     Your "reverse pivot" nonsense was the climax of your foolishness.   (No specifics, aside from reverse pivot. He does have a reverse pivot, which will be judged on a career, not a season in front of Pedroia and AGon)

2) Wake: Your 100+ Wake bashing threads are proof enough.
    (Wastefield is my personal campaign to get rid of a guy who thinks he is entitled to a roster spot. A year after starting it, it is working well. With over 100 votes, 75% want him gone. And those were people who wanted him here, just a short time ago. You are the only fool who wants to offer him 1.5 million and another guaranteed MLB roster spot. It is for the good of the team, because I don't personally know Wastefield.)

3) VTek: Your 100+ VTek bashing threads are proof enough.

(Ditto, see Wastefield response)

4) Jed "No Pop" Lowrie: You can't deny the hatred here.

(Hatred, from that? You need to get help. This is a sports message board, not the DNC talking points)

5) Crawford: You bashed him, then wanted him to lead off instead of "Jake": brilliant.

(Crawford contract was a joke, and I was alone in saying not to touch him with INepstein's 142 million pole. But, despite one season, Crawford only fits in leadoff spot. And you do not know over the long sample what he would have done in the spot, all season. You merely speculate. Crawford's OBP career is not great, but it most certainly would be better than this year if he was #1 all season instead of being told he was Theo's #3 hitter. Crawford is now Red Sox problem, so I support him because he is not over 40 and he can not be written off.)

6) Lackey: You liked the signing, but thought it was "a year too long", then back-tracked when you found out about the injury clause, then flipped again after he declined. You make Obama seem honest.

(No, I hated the signing. I said not to offer more than 3 years and 30M. I  never backed track, simply noted that of the 3 FA that year he was the only one who made any sense, but never endorsed this stupid contract. I said the zero cost injury year makes the deal potentially less ominous. You, as you do every year, wanted this guy for 80 million plus, and said so. There are only a few pitchers worth long term big contracts, and you think paying Wakefiled nearly 4 million was a good deal)

7) Beckett: You called him a "fat and lazy union slug". I guess you call that tough love: I call it hateful bashing.

(Must have worked, at least for a large portion of the season. Until the beer caught up to him. He is a disgrace and owes the Red Sox fans an apology, for 2010 and his finish to 2011)

8) Salty: You hated him from day one and continue to bash him endlessly.

(I've never hated Salty from any day. Fact is that this was Theo's dumpster deal to cover for Varisuk FA contracts and other bad contracts. salty is a butcher behind the plate. May get to where he is marginal, but he is not MLB starting catcher material at year end 2011. No problem to have compete for backup job)

9) Jenks: From the minute he was signed you called him "washed up", a "head case", and a "terrible signing by inEpstein". I really felt the love here.

(Jenks was a joke I protested before Theo signed him. I called him a White Sox reject on a big radar blip. That is not hate, it is candid and correct criticism. I never once said "he is washed up". I said it was joke to offer him 2 years and 6M a year! I was right)

10) Scutty: You blasted Theo for signing him, then claimed his poor 2010 season wasn't related to his injuries and playing hurt. You now deny you disagreed with my contention that Scutaro would have an OPS in Boston somewhere between his career number after 2009 and his career high number with toronto in 2009. You claimed he was "over-the hill" and would give us below his "career norm". You have called him a terrible fielder and have continously bashed him for almost 2 years.

(Plus numbers are not impressive for Scutaro. He was a mistake, and your prevarications are quite grandiose and desperate. I like Scutaro on work ethic, and his 2010 season was not poor. He did well playing with injury, for his age. He is not a quality defensive SS. I was right on Scutaro, a poor value, but one of the few players with a good work ethic and attitude towards showing up for work)

11) DMac: You went from calling some other posters racist for wanting him cut last year, to bashing him all this season.

(I never based DMAC, I bashed Inepstein for signing Crawford and then putting DMAC in outfield rotation with an aging out JD Drew in last year of his contract. With Reddick and Kalish and scores of cheap lefty OF'ers, money should have been reserved for a superstar slugging RH Of'er, not Crawford or Ellsbury long term contract)

12) Rich Hill: I can't recall the exact words, but you were merciless about a guy who got hurt after 8 IP of 3 hit no ER ball.

(Small sample size, a player who was gifted a roster spot without merit)

There's probably a few I missed, but I count 12 out of the opening day 25 players. That's actually more than 1/3, but I was being kind.

Last year, we could add Mikey, Hermy, Cash, and some of the "scrap heap" pitchers to the list.

Who will be added next year?

(I am a critic who pulls no punches. Just because I am a Red Sox fan does not mean I will ever be a giddy cheerleader or pink hat. Get over it. I will be critical of any contract and/or player who does not need to be on the roster or offered a market based contract to start with.)

And, please, your animus towards the former Japenese players is shameful! Your claim to not like Wakefield is pure credibility shallow hocus pocus. You love that 45 year old foolish prideful paunched figure who states that Red Sox fans deserve the chance to see him break another individual record, which was a major cause of record September collapse)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Many teams will end up overspending for a free agent starter because the market is so thin (recall John Lackey two offseasons ago).

The trade market should be correspondingly expensive. A team deep in pitching should do well this offseason.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Many teams will end up overspending for a free agent starter because the market is so thin (recall John Lackey two offseasons ago). The trade market should be correspondingly expensive. A team deep in pitching should do well this offseason.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I do think the Astros might move Wandy for pretty cheap comparatively speaking.  He gets...
    12:$10M, 13:$13M, 14:$13M club option ($2.5M buyout)

The other option is to take on salary of a 2nd player on the team in order to get the wanted player for less. For example, take the Astros, they may package Wandy and Brett Myers (a serviceable 5th starter but way overpaid) for less than what Wandy would cost alone. Brett gets... 12:$11M, 13:$10M club option ($3M buyout) Basically, Myers will likely be getting about $14M for 2012, since the 2013 option in unliekly going to be taken. The Astros are far away from winning, so they may match up with our high amount of very good, but low minor league level prospects.

Teams in contention will likely need to involve a 3rd team unless they covet Lowrie, Reddick, Salty, Iggy or possibly Youk.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

I'm a little disappointed Maddux is not interviewing.  I thought he might be a good candidate but he changed his mind quickly, so if he's not fully into it, it was best to find out beforehand.  I'm wondering who the "other" candidates will be...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : Boom no idea how old you are but that sounds very familiar, prior 1990's. Now maybe we are to soft (handing trophies to last place teams) but boy there was little compassion from the male adults when I was a kid - they treated you like a strict parent... I recall my coaches hated losing.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

My dad came to 1 of my high school baseball games, 1 of my high school basketball games and none of my soccer games. I was all conference in soccer with multiple scholarship offers. 3 years varsity basketball and the # 3 hitter on my varsity baseball team as a freshman. Some dads had no clue what was needed to be a good parent back then. I went to all but one of my middle sons soccer games in his entire life and the only one I missed was to give my wife an opportunity to see a specific game. I coached my kids teams for 25 years. I learned from my childhood experiences. If I've done anything well in life, I've been a good dad.

You are right Burrito. It was all about winning. Even then, some dads didn't even care enough about that to come to their kids games even when they were good. It is hard to understand but my dad was one of 9 kids. They survived by cutting wood and family farming but even that was extremely difficult during the depression. Kids were not allowed to be kids in the the way we expect now. Even I grew up working 40 hours a week all summer even when we were 10 years old and had lots of chores year around. My older brother cut his kneecap open with a chain saw when he was 13. It was about working, not being kids. 

I know this sounds like a sob story. I relate it only because such things still happen in this world even in the US when you grow up poor. Lots of kids have absolutely nothing. You want a bycicle? Work all summer for $30 a month in the fields when you are 10 or 11 racking blueberries, picking potatos...etc. We had entire buses of 10-12 year old kids as migrant farm labor. I remember one little girl chosing me as her "boyfriend" for protection. Imagine doing this stuff as a little girl who was looking out for her little sister. There was no affection. We weren't even old enough to know about that. It was a little girl worried about protecting herself and her little sister.

It breaks my heart to see the world some kids grow up in.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

This guy Yoennis Cespedes would appear to maybe solve quite a few problems for us:

And cost us no lost draft picks. Maybe we let Papi and Paps go for the 4 picks and we replace them with Darvish and Cespedes and keep all the picks! We are probably talking about not all that much more money and we get a lot younger.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Cannot we all see this team is already built to win, and that come July we can make any move our heart desires... we need not sign any of these lame B-Grade free-agents.  None of them.

Rid ourselves of Tek and Wake, make a choice already on Ortiz and Paps... let's go already.  Even if all of them walk we still need not sign the best FA's avaialble, most of them simply are not that good.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Cannot we all see this team is already built to win, and that come July we can make any move our heart desires... we need not sign any of these lame B-Grade free-agents.  None of them.

Burr, take the Bedard example: he was signed for $1M which is very cheap and was a good gamble. We ended up trading a very good OF prospect (that we got from LA) to get a guy we could have signed for $1.1M last winter. We know we will need pitching in July, so why not get it nopw and not have to overpay out of desperation when the cost rises?