A Realistic look at 2012: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I

Papi is ours, unless we and he agree to a trade, which is highly unlikely.

! think a trade involving Scutaro is not out of the question. I think it's just more likely that we go over the luxury tax limit.

We are getting outbid by the Marlins!

I thought Buerhle might have been on their radar. Oh well!

Moneyball guy Billy Bean might want Reddick? He must see some things which others around here do not. He's mainly a gap hitter. A decent fit in  Oakland. I'm not sure it would take much more than Reddick to get Bailey. Then what do we do about RF. 

We appear to be losing the off season so far, except with the new manager decision. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Ortiz might end up getting more than $14 mil, Unbelieveable.

I was for offering him arb though. I just didn't think he would take it. They will probably hammer out a 2 year deal now. Ortiz the chess player.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Jackson still isn't signed yet. I think some teams are going to start crawling all over him now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I:
    [QUOTE]It's not likely that a team will trade for Scutaro as a SS with a salary of 6 million. Or maybe at all.  Low market teams will be looking to build with youth from within. Contenders are pretty much set at the position.  He is Boston's SS until further notice.
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

not saying that teams will be beating down his door, i agree with many smaller market teams passing at that salary and going younger. but i wouldnt go so far as assuming he is entirely untradeable. when they exercised his option the feeling at the time was that he was a relatively decent commodity compared to the pricier alternatives on the FA market this offseason like Reyes, Rollins, etc. i agree mostly with moon's scenario, where maybe they could find a serviceable arm at similar dollars in that type of swap, and at least fill a bigger need elsewhere with their perceived surplus at the SS/utility position. was just throwing it out there as an option because options with this team appear to be few at this time. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

harness is only a headline or two away from losing the bet I had with him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]harness is only a headline or two away from losing the bet I had with him.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

What was the bet again?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I bet 2 of 3 of the remaining Ring Bearers would not be back. Whoever loses is at the whim of the victor for a two week suspension from the forum. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : not saying that teams will be beating down his door, i agree with many smaller market teams passing at that salary and going younger. but i wouldnt go so far as assuming he is entirely untradeable. when they exercised his option the feeling at the time was that he was a relatively decent commodity compared to the pricier alternatives on the FA market this offseason like Reyes, Rollins, etc. i agree mostly with moon's scenario, where maybe they could find a serviceable arm at similar dollars in that type of swap, and at least fill a bigger need elsewhere with their perceived surplus at the SS/utility position. was just throwing it out there as an option because options with this team appear to be few at this time. 
    Posted by HOFFBURGER[/QUOTE]

We also have to remember that we were going to have to pay Scutaro $1.5M if he walked anyways, so the $6M we are paying him now is actually $4.5M "extra".  Still, in hindsight, we have to look at this alternative plan:

Plan A:
    SS: Scutaro (Back-ups: Aviles, Iggy & Jed)
    P: Scrap heap signings or Tazawa, Doubront, Weiland, Bowden...

Plan B:
    SS: Iggy, Aviles & Lowrie
    P: $4.5M more to spend... Bedard signed for $4.5, Wang $4M, Chen $4.5m x 2...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

Just curious what you guys might think of this minor possibility. Lets say the Sox deal Reddick and would like another low cost veteran outfielder for the RF mix, or even without making a trade if they have an interest in adding there but obviously cannot add anything of any significance...I am very mildly curious about the possibilty of Rick Ankiel as a bargain bin addition. Yeah, yeah, I know, it's hard to get excited about Ankiel, but the guys in this thread seem to be open minded about low cost additions and arent just completely fixated on the bigger FA names. I know Cody Ross has been mentioned here and I also think he would be a solid addition if possible, but just for the sake of comparison, here are their 2011 numbers in relation to what they made in 2011. 

GP   PA    BA    HR  RBI   R  OPS   WAR    2011 Salary
    Ross      121   461  .240  14   52   54  .730   0.9      6.3 Mil
    Ankiel    122   415  .239   9    37   46  .659   1.4      1.5 Mil

In all fairness to Ross, he did seem to present better value in the 2 or 3 seasons than last year, but this is just a quick simple comparison. Naturally I'd prefer him to Ankiel, but I'm trying to look at this strictly from a dollars standpoint considering the sox very limited flexibilty, using their most recent salaries as somewhat of a base or starting point to work off of in terms of to get a ballpark idea of what they may be seeking now. 

Ankiel has primarily been a CF but he has played some RF, and the versatilty is always a plus. He reportedly has a fantastic throwing arm according to this article from Tim Kurkijan earlier this year (which we know is essential in Fenway):

Injuries can be an issue with him, but in spurts he can be an effective hitter with a little pop. At around the same money he played for last season, would he be worth looking into?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He would be cheaper than Ross, but he's a lefty... even if we trade reddick, we still have kalish and 2 other LH'd starting OF'ers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

very true..duh, while looking at other factors the most obvious need there escaped my attention. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I keep hearing we need to get a RF and then I look at the options and the numbers are significantly worse than Reddick/Kalish at a much higher cost. I'd keep Reddick/Kalish. Ankiel had a PED issue didn't he. Why in H would we want him and his .240 average? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

[QUOTE]I keep hearing we need to get a RF and then I look at the options and the numbers are significantly worse than Reddick/Kalish at a much higher cost. I'd keep Reddick/Kalish. Ankiel had a PED issue didn't he. Why in H would we want him and his .240 average? 
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

boom, was just tossing it out there as a very low cost veteran alternative for the RF mix with a good arm, a lil pop, and the ability to play some center if necessary as well as the corners...but it's a moot point anyhow because i overlooked the most obvious need, which is a righthanded bat. not saying i disagree with going young in RF, was just tossing crap against the wall seeing if anything sticks just in case they deal one of the kids in an andrew bailey deal for example. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Come up with some RH'd low cost options, and I'll listen.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

moon, may sound crazy, but just in theory...what about approaching the brewers with a jenks/scutaro for k-rod offer? milwaukee is in a tough spot now that he accepted arbitration and they're looking at paying him around 11 or 12 to be a setup guy. they were obviously banking on him getting a multi year offer elsewhere and they net the draft picks, but it backfired. they are also in the market for a SS, they explored Rollins and are now looking at Furcal or bringing back Yuniesky Betancourt (among others). 

dollars wise it would be about a wash for both clubs..the brewers get their SS and another bullpen arm, the sox get their closer...all 3 contracts are up after this season and neither team is tied into longterm commitments, they each fill a need while maintaining financial flexibility for next offseason. k-rod on a one year, closing for a contender with his eye on his next contract could be the bullpen equivalent of the beltre signing 2 years ago. 

jenks injury problems would probably harpoon this whole scenario anyhow, but it's fun considering the options. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Come up with some RH'd low cost options, and I'll listen.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Casper Wells

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=9700&position=OF

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/wellsca01.shtml

RP Brandon League
    IF Chone Figgins
    OF Casper Wells
    $10 million in cash
    for
    3B Kevin Youkilis
    RP Bobby Jenks

The contracts:

Youkilis -- $13 million for one year or $25 million for two
    Jenks -- $6 million for one year
    League -- projected $4.2 million in final year before free agency
    Figgins -- $17 million for two years with vesting option for third year at $9 million
    Wells -- six years of control starting at league minimum salary

The Red Sox get League, a reliever with experience as a set-up man in the AL East and extreme-groundball tendencies that would play well at Fenway Park. Figgins can compete with Jed Lowrie and Mike Aviles at third base while the Sox monitor the development of prospect Will Middlebrooks. Wells provides the righthanded bat for a potential platoon with Josh Reddick or Ryan Kalish in rightfield, with good defense (including a great arm), some power and a decent on-base percentage.

The Sox would shed the combined 2012 salaries of $18 million for Youkilis and Jenks while taking on the $4.2 million salary of League and the, say, $3.5 annual million salary of Figgins if the Mariners send $10 million in cash.

With the salary savings, and by surrendering no prospects, the Red Sox can pursue a starter or two via trade or free agency.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Nope. Subtract Youk and Figgins, insert Lowrie and Jenks for Brandon League;) 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Varitek was not on Valentine's list. Cherry stated that "if any role at all" as an insult to try to get Wakefield begging elsewhere.

Yes, Burrito, pretty good odds that only Ortiz will be back. And despite Ortiz overpay for a year or two, at least he earned another year from his 2011 performance. As long as only Ortiz returns, Cherington will be an upgrade over what Inepstein was doing on the good ole boys gravy train.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Nope. Subtract Youk and Figgins, insert Lowrie and Jenks for Brandon League;) 
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]
    LaughingLaughingLaughing

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I do expect Oritz to have a decent to very good year... 2013 I expect a decline to the point that it becomes a burden for him to be a DH only player. Now we can see how Youk bounces back, if he stays healthy than it is great to have him at 3rd.

Who do you guys think is the most important player to HAVE to turn it around in 2012?

1) Beckett
    2) Youk
    3) Lester
    4) Crawford
    5) another?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

I think I would go Lester 1, Youk 2, Crawford 3, Beckett 4...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Would anyone here be thrilled if the Sox had just signed Pujols to a 10 year $254 million dollar deal?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Even if we didn't have AGon, I wouldn't be thrilled at all.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Could the Cards be interested in Youk?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

The Pujols deal will become a Crawford / Arod sized boat anchor relatively soon. Real surprised the Angels pulled the trigger on those 2 guys. One thing we are seeing though is that some teams at least see the writing on the wall with the new CBA. Free agents are now more attractive as it is going to be harder to stockpile draft picks. The Angels moved quickly to secure their future as their young talent already in the system will emerge in the coming years. Morales and Pujols alone would give that deal a lot more punch.