A Realistic look at 2012: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I

Thanks guys for humoring me.  The two pitchers between Hector and Posey are Chris Stewart and Eli Whiteside (to briefly continue the saga.)  I think they both make the roster.  Both hitting low .200's BUT Stewart threw out two runners two days ago and Whiteside (the #2) has thrown out 6 of 8 this spring--thus the pitchers love them and feel especially comfortable throwing to Whiteside as he filled in for Posey last year.  So after Posey, two defensive guys which makes sense.  Just put a check beside Hector's name--I think we'll be hearing from him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Well Moon, after just going through todays news out of FM it looks like it's down to Aceves-Bard-Doubie for last two spots--with Aceves and Doubie maybe the favorites.  I'm hoping for that, then I want Cook to come on like gangbusters and it seems like he's doing well, then sometime soon he becomes the starter and Aceves goes bact to his role.  Then I can say to you, "Houston, we no longer have a problem..."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I:
    [QUOTE]Well Moon, after just going through todays news out of FM it looks like it's down to Aceves-Bard-Doubie for last two spots--with Aceves and Doubie maybe the favorites.  I'm hoping for that, then I want Cook to come on like gangbusters and it seems like he's doing well, then sometime soon he becomes the starter and Aceves goes bact to his role.  Then I can say to you, "Houston, we no longer have a problem..."
    Posted by Critter23[/QUOTE]

I hope you are right, but have seen too many pitcher injuries the last few years to be content with Cook as our # 6, Dice-K ahead of schedule, and little else beyond that (not that those 2 instill much confidence either).

As I have said from the start. I'd have much preferred that bard and Aceves stay in the pen, especially after the loss of Paps, but that I preferred Aceves over bard if one had to start. I also said I thought Doubront was the logical choice for the 5th starter, but I'd have much rather have him as LR/6th starter via a trade for Floyd or Wandy. I realize that is not happening anytime soon, so it is what it is.

It's nice that Cook and Dice-K are progressing. We needed one or two of the "left-overs" to give us something. This pen looks pretty nice when you consider Bailey and Melancon will likely pitch twice as many innings as Papelbon...

9th Bailey
    8th Bard
    7th Melancon
    SR/LR Aceves
    SR Morales
    SR Albers
    SR Bowden/Miller/Tazawa/ others

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I wouldn't feel all that bad with Cook and PAdilla starting and throw the rest of those guys in the pen!

Realistically though, there is not room for everyone and we will lose some of these guys if they are not on the 25 man. Then what do we do. Anyone with an option needs to go down unless they are Pedroia level!

We are going to need that depth. As I understand it Tazawa and Bowden are both out of options along with Bowden. All this indicates to me that someone is going to get traded real soon. It's either that or players are going to leave anyway. We might want to keep a veteran or 2 who is in that position and unfortunately trade for a starting pitcher with options. 

I haven't had time to study this in depth but that is the situation isn't it. Some of these vets must have opt out options right? And Tazawa, Bowden and Doubront all are out of options. Can't keep all of thes guys can we?

Mortensen has an option doesn't he. It's pretty clear where he is going.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Crit!

I wasn't trying to humor you BTW. I really did send emails to Theo in logical email constructs! There was something I didn't think he was seeing so I tried to communicate with him. Crazy huh! Who knows, maybe it worked!

Hector Sanchez really is a great prospect. He sure looks like a great prospect. I agree that we will be seeing him in a couple years.

We've been spending quite a bit of time in the bay area lately as a family visiting colleges up there. It's a tremendous place to live I would think. And these guys are baseball purists. I love that aspect of it also.

Have you guys seen that baseball game commercial where the Cubs fans are going crazy after they win the WS and then the camera shot goes to this guy with tears rolling down his face in front of a video game console! I love that commercial!

Would we love it as Cubs fans? I'm not sure about that!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Just had a few minutes in  a library to finally log onto a computer and haven't read all that I've missed in the last four weeks. I've been to every home ST game so far and these are my very quick observations...
    Bard is a ONE inning pitcher; control is shaky when he gets deeper in games and he appears to be over-throwing.
    Anderson is definitely being showcased, even seeing time in LF, and has looked very good. Obviously no spot for him here so he will be dealt. We also have a glut in middle infield backups with both Punto and Ciriaco (sp?) who has looked very good.
    Ross is the real deal and should have a great year.
    I would love to see Iggy start at SS, but Aviles is getting most of the time there and has hit well. He and Scutaro seem to be the same player.
    Of the group of "old arms" brought in to win a spot, only Padilla and Cook have been good. Cook looked solid last night and is a "strike-thrower" and fast worker, most unusual in a Red Sox-Yankees game.
    Players are running out grounders, even Ortiz, and there is a lot more small ball being played under Bobby V.
    I know ST is long and the position players really don't need 30 games to get ready (pitchers do though) but do we really need all these non-roster invitees? Fans are leaving in droves after six innings because there are so few,if any,  major-leaguers still playing. And it's not as if we're seeing the bright young prospects; we're seeing 30 year-old outfielders and journeyman pitchers.
    Lavarnway has a major-league bat right now, but needs work defensively. The other day he turned a pitch-out into a passed ball.
    I think that Bowden, Doubront and Tazawa are all out of options, but Bowden has not looked good and Tazawa is also not ready (possible DL?) but Doubront could still emerge as the fifth starter.
    Only a few more games and I never know when I'll get near a computer, but I'll try to send more news later.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wouldn't feel all that bad with Cook and PAdilla starting and throw the rest of those guys in the pen!

Realistically though, there is not room for everyone and we will lose some of these guys if they are not on the 25 man. Then what do we do. Anyone with an option needs to go down unless they are Pedroia level!

We are going to need that depth. As I understand it Tazawa and Bowden are both out of options along with Bowden. All this indicates to me that someone is going to get traded real soon. It's either that or players are going to leave anyway. We might want to keep a veteran or 2 who is in that position and unfortunately trade for a starting pitcher with options. 

I haven't had time to study this in depth but that is the situation isn't it. Some of these vets must have opt out options right? And Tazawa, Bowden and Doubront all are out of options. Can't keep all of thes guys can we?

Mortensen has an option doesn't he. It's pretty clear where he is going.

Tazawa has 2 options left. Mortensen has 1.

Bowden and Doubront are out of options, but it's not easy to trade bowden to teams who also ahve roster decisions to make like us. I'm sure bowden is better than some team's 40th man, but you get my drift.

Here is the options list:
    Ells 2
    Buch 1
    Taz 2
    Bard 3
    Iggy 2
    Kalish 2
    Salty 1
    Lars 2
    Expo 2
    Pimen 2
    Tejada 2
    Aceves 1
    Lava 3
    Midd 3
    Lin 3
    Britt 3
    Melan 1
    Bailey 3
    Sween 2
    Mort 1
    Carp 2

All the rest of the 40 man roster has 0 options.

Some surprises could be to send the struggling Salty or Melancon to AAA to start the season.

Also, there is the phantom DL available.

As for needing to keep depth, I remember softy arguing to cut Wake last year instead of keeping Miller in AAA. We ended up using what? 9 or 10 starters? Of which Wake was about our 4th or 5th best of the whole bunch.

I think Taz deserves to be on the 25 man roster, but may be forced to start in AAA to keep depth.  Same goes with Lava and Iggy.

(Edit: Salty has one option left, but must 'clear optional assignment waivers"  (as do Jacoby and Buch). All the rest may be assigned to the minors withoiut a choice.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Moon, good info on options; that seals the deal as far as Tazawa in concerned. But Bowden is going somewhere unless no one has any interest. Not likely. I also don't think he has any trade value beyond a throw-in with Anderson and either Punto or Ciriaco.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's hard to make 3 for 1 deals when all 3 are out of options. It means the other team has risk losing 2 guys.

Maybe a team like the White Sox would like to dump Ohman along with Floyd, and so they might take two 40 man roster players (like Salty and Bowden) along with Anderson, Middlebrooks and/or Ranaudo.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Tazawa and Mortensen have already been sent down as i understand it. Padilla and Miller are hurt ( hamstrings if I remember correctly ). We might have a solid 1,2,3 but we still look to be pretty bad for #4 and 5. We need to catch lightning in a bottle with at least one guy. Cook? Doubront? I'd be happy with .500 ball from any of these guys. With our offense they don't have to even be average. Hold the other team to 4-5 runs and we have a chance.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Jidge, I LOVE hearing first hand reports from knowledgeable fans. Thanks a lot for the input!

It would be interesting if Anderson could get off to a good start this year in AAA ball and be functional in the OF. He could be handy for us yet or much more likely a real trade asset.

I still can't get over the freaking Dodgers being valued 40% higher than the Redsox. Incredible! It would seem that winning is not necessary.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tazawa and Mortensen have already been sent down as i understand it. Padilla and Miller are hurt ( hamstrings if I remember correctly ). We might have a solid 1,2,3 but we still look to be pretty bad for #4 and 5. We need to catch lightning in a bottle with at least one guy. Cook? Doubront? I'd be happy with .500 ball from any of these guys. With our offense they don't have to even be average. Hold the other team to 4-5 runs and we have a chance.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

I'm not happy that we didn't significantly upgrade our 4 slot, but I still can't help but think the guys we have now are going to do better than that we had last year. 10-12 more starts from Buch will lessen the burden on the bottom starters as well, and if Dice-K can give us half a season, I think we'll be OK. 

However, to be the favorites we need a deal or a miracle.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mkdew763. Show mkdew763's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : Tazawa and Mortensen have already been sent down as i understand it. Padilla and Miller are hurt ( hamstrings if I remember correctly ). We might have a solid 1,2,3 but we still look to be pretty bad for #4 and 5. We need to catch lightning in a bottle with at least one guy. Cook? Doubront? I'd be happy with .500 ball from any of these guys. With our offense they don't have to even be average. Hold the other team to 4-5 runs and we have a chance. Posted by Boomerangsdotcom I'm not happy that we didn't significantly upgrade our 4 slot, but I still can't help but think the guys we have now are going to do better than that we had last year. 10-12 more starts from Buch will lessen the burden on the bottom starters as well, and if Dice-K can give us half a season, I think we'll be OK.  However, to be the favorites we need a deal or a miracle.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure this team will not have the best record in the American League in August or any other month this year.  Not sure why Toronto is getting so little respect here.  Don't be surprised if Red Sox and Yankees miss the playoffs in 2012.  The discussion about Youk's health is starting to sound like Lowell redux.  Papi isnt hitting 300 with bombs galore.  With the exception of Crawford, the Sox overacheived in 2011 and to expect better this year is naive.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : I'm pretty sure this team will not have the best record in the American League in August or any other month this year.  Not sure why Toronto is getting so little respect here.  Don't be surprised if Red Sox and Yankees miss the playoffs in 2012.  The discussion about Youk's health is starting to sound like Lowell redux.  Papi isnt hitting 300 with bombs galore.  With the exception of Crawford, the Sox overacheived in 2011 and to expect better this year is naive.
    Posted by mkdew763[/QUOTE]

Yes, we "overachieved" after having 80+ starts effected by injury.

It's naive to expect 80 in 2012.

Did Buch overachieve in 2012?
    Dice-K?
    Lackey?
    Jenks?
    Wheeler?
    Youk?
    Drew?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

still blaming injuries eh? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]still blaming injuries eh? 
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

It certainly played a major role... more so than beer & chicken.

Burrito, the guy said everyone overachieved except Crawford. I listed some others that did not (most of which were injured). 

We had a very good team last year, when healthy. I think we have just as good a team this year, if not better, and I like our new manager better and our new 3B coach should help us not lose 2-3 games like last year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Jid, thanks a lot, it's great to hear from the camp first hand.  Your observations seem to go well with what one reads in snippets from FM.  You are more straight-forward about Bard than what the RS are letting out, but that's the same as others report--not enough variety in his pitches for more than an inning or two.

Articles in Globe today about Ben vs. BV, supposed different views on Bard, SS situation,etc.  I don't know if this is a manufactured problem or not, something for the press to play with.  However, since BV was chosen to manage this team and had the support of upper management, it seems like he has to get the opportunity to make his own decisions.  I can't believe you'd hire a guy and then try to tell him who he can have on his team--especially him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Nice info from all you guys!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Jid, I hope the traffic situation down there isn't as bad as it sounds...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : Tazawa and Mortensen have already been sent down as i understand it. Padilla and Miller are hurt ( hamstrings if I remember correctly ). We might have a solid 1,2,3 but we still look to be pretty bad for #4 and 5. We need to catch lightning in a bottle with at least one guy. Cook? Doubront? I'd be happy with .500 ball from any of these guys. With our offense they don't have to even be average. Hold the other team to 4-5 runs and we have a chance. Posted by Boomerangsdotcom I'm not happy that we didn't significantly upgrade our 4 slot, but I still can't help but think the guys we have now are going to do better than that we had last year. 10-12 more starts from Buch will lessen the burden on the bottom starters as well, and if Dice-K can give us half a season, I think we'll be OK.  However, to be the favorites we need a deal or a miracle.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

That's not exactly a given considering he's only made more than 16 starts in a season once in his career.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Some of those ST games have maybe 2-3 mlb level players in them. A big departure from previous years. Hopefully that will smooth out soon. 

I think I'd be giving Ortiz a lot of AB. He needs them to gear up.

I told my wife I'd like to go to ST games someday and a lightbulb seemed to light up over her head. Anything for a vacation! She's a hard working woman and we need a vacation badly. I think I'd time it near the end of ST though, when rosters are ideal. I would love it and I think she would too. If we can schedule it when Papelbon is playing against us it's a deal. She's been wearing her Papelbon jersey lately like it's a security blanket for a 3 year old!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Articles in Globe today about Ben vs. BV, supposed different views on Bard, SS situation,etc.  I don't know if this is a manufactured problem or not, something for the press to play with.  However, since BV was chosen to manage this team and had the support of upper management, it seems like he has to get the opportunity to make his own decisions.  I can't believe you'd hire a guy and then try to tell him who he can have on his team--especially him.

The GM makes the final call on who makes the 25 man roster, so Ben could prevent BV from playing Iggy by putting him in AAA. I can't see Ben demanding that BV start Bard, but it has happened between GMs and managers before. 

You all know my stand on Iggy, so I'm hoping BV wins the battle, if indeeed there is one.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Douby seems to be emerging this spring to be the guy I was hoping for. Maybe projecting him as our #2 pitching prospect ( over Ranaudo and Britton ) wasn't so crazy after all!

I have hopes for him and have been following him ever since he had a sub 2.00 ERA as a 17 year old in Venezuela. He's not a #1 but he has a chance to be a real solid starter in the majors.

Early word is that Swihart has excellent aptitude defensively at catcher. He picked off a runner at 2nd the other day and has shown some defensive potential! He is very athletic and he sure looks like hitting is not going to be a problem. A real blue chip prospect, something we haven't had that many off historically as those guys usually don't last past the 20th pick in the first round. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

BV is SUCH A NARCISSIST. He probably wants Iglesias at SS just to make his team look sharp defensively. Softy should feel right at home with BV. They should get a love seat and share it or one of those Snuggy form fitting blankets to watch TV in.

According to SI, we are rated #21 in defense and #1 in offense. A little D might be a good thing for us overall, especially at SS.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I've watched this play 5-6 times now. Outstanding!

Sections
Shortcuts