A Realistic look at 2012: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I

Smelly-Behind2817's page

Our editors are reviewing this community member's Page.

Bump

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

The Teflon finish in Moonslav's oasis thread is wearing thin. It's like a tiger going for the juglar of the antelope. The last bastion of the BDC forum is being under siege.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I:
    [QUOTE]The Teflon finish in Moonslav's oasis thread is wearing thin. It's like a tiger going for the juglar of the antelope. The last bastion of the BDC forum is being under siege.
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

Moon asked a question and I replied. You have a problem with it - get over it!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : Moon asked a question and I replied. You have a problem with it - get over it!
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

You are always welcome on my thread, but I do wish the poster before (TBINFL) would go away. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : You are always welcome on my thread, but I do wish the poster before (TBINFL) would go away. 
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Not being a Sox fan, I try not to impose too many opinions on the Sox on your thread. Obviously I believe I know them fairly well, but only at the Major League level. I have little knowledge of their minor league system. But I do enjoy reading this thread as it is a source to learn from.

Thanks

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

As to Iggy's going down, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't 100% affected by his future control by the club.  I think as we all  have said he'll be up before the year is over. 

I'll try to make this the last on my project "Hector."  Two days ago, HR to right and double to left.  .459 BA this spring.  Giants say they don't want to carry three catchers but may have to think it over. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Ben Buchanan of Over The Monster did a nice piece on the SS debate yesterday:

His basic argument is that Iggy has been promoted aggressively in the minors and needs time to catch up.  Plus he is still over matched by AAA pitching and when netting the defense upgrade and offensive downgrade he is likely to be vs. Aviles, the result of starting Iggy would be detrimental to the team.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : Not being a Sox fan, I try not to impose too many opinions on the Sox on your thread. Obviously I believe I know them fairly well, but only at the Major League level. I have little knowledge of their minor league system. But I do enjoy reading this thread as it is a source to learn from. Thanks
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Your opinions are welcome. You are not the "in your face" type of poster, and I enjoy hearing intelligent opinions from those not too close to the fire.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Is there any team that has lost their catcher to injury or is in great need of a guy like Salty or Shoppach?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Moon, I haven't heard of anyone yet--I really only follow RS, Giants, and A's, the latter two 'cause they're in the papers here, but injuries occur and things happen unfortunately.  Am I correct that you would prefer a trade of Salty, keep Shoppach, and start Lava?  I don't know what Shop is hitting this spring, but everytime I read the results, he seems to come up with a hit.  What's your take on him defensively?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

By the way, I seldom object to a good trade and if Salty should go for a nice piece, great.  I do guess Salty will be better this year, and I think he will hit better and with more power.  I was won over, however, by somebody's idea here last week, Boom?, that if Lava is already a much better hitter and in the same ballpark (ha!) defensively, then what are we waiting for...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : You are always welcome on my thread, but I do wish the poster before (TBINFL) would go away. 

Why, because I expose your drivel for what it is?

Or is it because I was more accurate predicting the sawx win total the past 2 years than you.
    I know that really bothers you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Why, because I expose your drivel for what it is?

No, because you offer nothing substantial and are just a troll.

Or is it because I was more accurate predicting the sawx win total the past 2 years than you.
    I know that really bothers you.

Doesn't bother me at all that you think we'd still have won the same amount of games with a normal amount of injuries. You are brilliant!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, I haven't heard of anyone yet--I really only follow RS, Giants, and A's, the latter two 'cause they're in the papers here, but injuries occur and things happen unfortunately.  Am I correct that you would prefer a trade of Salty, keep Shoppach, and start Lava?  I don't know what Shop is hitting this spring, but everytime I read the results, he seems to come up with a hit.  What's your take on him defensively?

Shopp is way better than Salty defensively. That is just one reason I prefer to keep him over Salty. The main reason is that I think some dumb GM would overpay for Salty based on his 2011 offense at the catcher position. Thirdly, we'd save more money trading salty, and I think we are very close to the threshold now.

Shopp hits lefties very well, so I think that gives Lava a chance to DH vs some lefties, especially if Papi shows a decline in that area again.

Keeping Salty makes some sense if Papi continues to hit lefties well, since Salty stinks vs lefties and we could have Lava start at catcher against all lefties and then play vs maybe half the righties. This means Salty might start only 40 games. I'm not sure that is the best thing for him or the Sox. He'd be worth more in trade.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]Why, because I expose your drivel for what it is? No, because you offer nothing substantial and are just a troll. Or is it because I was more accurate predicting the sawx win total the past 2 years than you. I know that really bothers you. Doesn't bother me at all that you think we'd still have won the same amount of games with a normal amount of injuries. You are brilliant!

You asked what I thought about the Yankees injuries this year and I gave you an honest answer.

And, regardless of injuries, the bottom line is I was a lot closer on my projections than you were with your infinite amount of stats that you compile, and that does bother you.

And you can't trade salty. lavarnway has not started enough games as a catcher to be the full time catcher for the big club, unless you envision shopp handling most of the games behind the dish. 

That idea is just as dumb as the "iglesias will save enough runs with his glove to make up for his lack of hitting". I wish your front office was that stupid.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

That good old ignore button sure comes in handy sometimes!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]That good old ignore button sure comes in handy sometimes!
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

The ignore button is for the weak and thin skinned.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You asked what I thought about the Yankees injuries this year and I gave you an honest answer.

So, if you project the Yanks to win 98 games this year and they only get about 80 healthy starts, will they still win 98?

And, regardless of injuries, the bottom line is I was a lot closer on my projections than you were with your infinite amount of stats that you compile, and that does bother you.

It doesn't bother me at all. Lots of people projected a lower win total than I. Don't pretend to know my thoughts and feelings.

You probably came closer to predicting the Sox win totals than I. I'll take your word for it. Congrats: you're brilliant.

BTW, I didn't base my win projections on stats. I based it on our team having a few injuries, and players continuing about what they have done up to those years. I also projected the rays winning 90-92 games and was laughed at by 98% of this board. Where were you? What did you project? It's easy to expose posters who get some projections wrong, but at least I put my neck out there, don't back down and lie about my past positions like softy and others. I admit my mistakes. I was wrong about the Sox in 2011. I was wrong in 2010 as well. I've been wrong on the other side as well. I thought we were 2 years away from a chance at a ring in 1975. I never expected 1986. I thought we had a chance in 2004, but never expected 98 wins and a WS sweep. 

I got some things right too. I projected almost theexact players in the AGon trade and that he'd sign in April. I said Scoot would be traded this winter. I said Cody Ross was a great cost-effective fit for us. 

I never projected that Iggy or Lava would make the 25 man roster , let alone be the FT starters. I just said I thought they'd be the better choice. (I said the Iggy choice was close.)

And you can't trade salty. lavarnway has not started enough games as a catcher to be the full time catcher for the big club, unless you envision shopp handling most of the games behind the dish. 

Salty is a horrible defensive catcher and even worse as a game-caller. He had more rest than all but one starting catcher last year and still hit a wall. Lava can't be any worse behind the plate, and I feel he's much better on offense than Salty. It's an opinion. It's fine if you disagree.

I could be wrong about Salty. He's about the age VTek was when he became a FT starter. I'm hoping he does well, but am nearly certain Lava can and would hit way better.

That idea is just as dumb as the "iglesias will save enough runs with his glove to make up for his lack of hitting". I wish your front office was that stupid.

Are you aware that some SSs make over 100 plays than others with the same amount of innings? Are you aware that SSs on the same team often have wide disparities in plays made per 9 innings? Do you know that these trends continue year after year with the same excellent fielding SSs at the top, and the same poor ones like Jeter on the bottom? Iguess it's all a fluke, right?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

Jeter must be the Ringo Starr of the Yankees then.

Amazing how they were able to win all those rings with that black hole at SS.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Moonslav calls him a troll at times and at other times wastes much time and effort responding to him. I don't get it. No long logical, reasonable, articulate response is warranted or worthwhile. Just call him a troll and put him onto ignore.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Moonslav calls him a troll at times and at other times wastes much time and effort responding to him. I don't get it. No long logical, reasonable, articulate response is warranted or worthwhile. Just call him a troll and put him onto ignore.
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

I've only put one guy in ignore, and that's mr. hanky (aka softy). 

You may be right about the uselessness of responding, since he often misrepresents or misunderstands my positions, but at least he doesn't go all racist or lie about his own past positions as far as I know.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : I've only put one guy in ignore, and that's mr. hanky (aka softy).  You may be right about the uselessness of responding, since he often misrepresents or misunderstands my positions, but at least he doesn't go all racist or lie about his own past positions as far as I know.
    Friend to friend Moon. We should all just put that pansy on ignore. He's only here to be a pain in the rear, a pest. He's worst than Softy. He is not even trying to make sense. He's only here to try to tweak us. He's been on ignore with me and others here already. One thing is certain. He's not worth our time.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : Friend to friend Moon. We should all just put that pansy on ignore. He's only here to be a pain in the rear, a pest. He's worst than Softy. He is not even trying to make sense. He's only here to try to tweak us. He's been on ignore with me and others here already. One thing is certain. He's not worth our time.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Point taken.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Moon, Cook went (5) against TB AA team with lots of ground balls.  Dice-K's last work looked good and they say he may be "ahead" and may be able to come up in June.  I'm hoping this trend continues so "real starters" may be able to get in the rotation and if some of the experiments go a little sour, we can send people back to the pen.  Also, reports say BV has a good feeling going with Dice-K and latter feels recognized or whatever word works.  BV is trying to remind him of how he pitched in Japan, etc.  I have long thought someone with more of an insight on Japanese culture could get more out of him.  I hope it works.

Are you not going to Maine at all this summer? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Moonslav can definitely overdo his stats, but at least he has them and can articulate why he prefers a given player or whatever.   I tend to go with the FO party line and, for example, am fine with Iglesias going to Pawtucket even though he would be a lot more fun to watch than Aviles.  I also think Lavarnway should stay with the big club because he has a very good righty bat and looked pretty solid in those two crucial games, one of which he won, last September.  Right now it looks like Shoppach can't hit and Saltalamacchia can't field or hit.  With Tek gone, time to give Lavarnway a shot.