A Realistic look at 2012: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I

In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I:
    [QUOTE]Jeter must be the Ringo Starr of the Yankees then. Amazing how they were able to win all those rings with that black hole at SS.
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]In his prime Jeter was great. Not much of a factor anymore. I still like him but not as a starting SS.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : Good advice. Thanks.
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

Most have him on ignore but unfortunately one can still see his posts and then you need further willpower to ignore him completely. He claims that he is only having "fun" but his idea of fun is to troll and enjoy annoying others. It is surprising that some like his routine but then they might be Yankee fans or just here for entertainment no matter what it is.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, Cook went (5) against TB AA team with lots of ground balls.  Dice-K's last work looked good and they say he may be "ahead" and may be able to come up in June.  I'm hoping this trend continues so "real starters" may be able to get in the rotation and if some of the experiments go a little sour, we can send people back to the pen.  Also, reports say BV has a good feeling going with Dice-K and latter feels recognized or whatever word works.  BV is trying to remind him of how he pitched in Japan, etc.  I have long thought someone with more of an insight on Japanese culture could get more out of him.  I hope it works.

I don't mean to sound like a Debbie Downer. I actually think we will win close to 95 games, but I haven't studied the rest of the league yet. I am not writing off Doubront (I like him), Cook and others. There's a good chance one of the many "projects" we have will rise enough to be a plus. I'm trying not to be as optimistic as I have been the last 2-3 years, and am trying to think in terms of expecting some injuries and declines. Cook has had some bright spots in his career and certainly has the capability to be this year's Colon or Garcia.

Are you not going to Maine at all this summer? 

I will be in Maine from June 25th and going from Maine to Brazil on July 9th before returning to Sugar Land, TX on July 31st. I hope to catch a game in Boston somewhere in there, and might see the Sea Dogs as well. Maybe we can hook up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Moonslav can definitely overdo his stats, but at least he has them and can articulate why he prefers a given player or whatever.   I tend to go with the FO party line and, for example, am fine with Iglesias going to Pawtucket even though he would be a lot more fun to watch than Aviles.  I also think Lavarnway should stay with the big club because he has a very good righty bat and looked pretty solid in those two crucial games, one of which he won, last September.  Right now it looks like Shoppach can't hit and Saltalamacchia can't field or hit.  With Tek gone, time to give Lavarnway a shot. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Yes, I like numbers to support my positions, but I also love the game for its nuances. I can't prove with numbers why Iggy is a better choice than Aviles, but I have played the game enough to know the importance of a great fielding SS.

I'm glad Lava may get a shot, but he needs to play nearly everyday.

I am confident Shoppach can hit LHPs, but with Lava onboard, the match-up is not ideal.

Everyone knows my position on Salty: trade him while his stock is high.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Moon, I am probably optimistis more than is justified, but I'm always up at this time of year.  I think it may be our turn to "hit" on a couple of these pitchers who have been injured.  I really hope we can hook up for a Portland game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah, that was fun. My wife loved it too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Some food for thought. Lavarnway hasn't played more than 50 or 60 games at catcher at any time for the last 3 years and yet by all accounts he has improved substantially as a defender. A strong case could be made that he has improved faster by working with Tuck outside of game action than he would have by playing in games directly. More practice blocking balls in the dirt. More work on lateral movement....etc. Specialty exercise workouts for flexibility...etc. 

I understand that most would say the next logical progression would be work in games and of course at least some work in that area helps but this guy having a Yale level brain does seem to indicate that he picks up such things quickly. Has he had any problem at all adjusting to things offensively? At any level in the minors?

Catchers get beat up physically. I have no problem with him catching 60-80 games and being a bat off the bench as well as continuing to work on his defensive development with Tuck. Being exposed to mlb level pitchers while in the dugout talking about what they would do in each situation unfolding in the game and have him ready to go in the playoffs. I don't think it hurts him much at all in his development. He probably improves faster for mlb level participation being with the big club IMO. If we do send him down to retain him for another year of control, I expect him to do very well in AAA and be brought up immediately after that hiatus from the majors is completed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My opinions:

If Lava makes the big club, he should start at catcher 100-115 games, and DH maybe 20-25.

If Lava catches 110 games, we don't need Salty and Shopp on the roster. except for injury insurance or the complete failure of Lava.

I'd see what we can get for Salty, and if the price is not right, start Salty in AAA.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]My opinions: If Lava makes the big club, he should start at catcher 100-115 games, and DH maybe 20-25. If Lava catches 110 games, we don't need Salty and Shopp on the roster. except for injury insurance or the complete failure of Lava. I'd see what we can get for Salty, and if the price is not right, start Salty in AAA.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

So you want him to pretty much double the amount of games that he's ever caught in one season? And do it for the first time at the MLB level?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : So you want him to pretty much double the amount of games that he's ever caught in one season? And do it for the first time at the MLB level?
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

Yes.

It's not ideal, but it a much better option than putting a known poor player behind the plate (Salty) knowing what he will do (and won't do).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : Yes. It's not ideal, but it a much better option than oputting a known poor player behind the plate (Salty) knowing what he will do (and won't do).
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

What about his CERA?

Or is it not relevant now that we have moved on to SS-ERA?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Red Sox management didn't not see the magic fingers that the author of this self-bumping drivel thread saw as worth a million as "just a backup catcher". This author wanted millions offered to Wastefield and Varitek, claiming that such a market existed. Someone needs to shoot this self-laudatory drivel thread.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : What about his CERA? Or is it not relevant now that we have moved on to SS-ERA?
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

You can't get much worse than Salty's 2011 CERA. Add to that all the WPs and PBs and stamina issues, I'm willing to take a chance on Lava. It's the CERA and related issues that convince me that Salty is not the answer more than I think Lava will be good in these areas.

If Lava seems to struggle behind the plate, then call Salty up from AAA and let Lava DH in Pawtucket for a while, nothing should be lost on defense, but  the upside potential of Lava at bat makes the gamble worthwhile. We need RH'd power.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Catcher Miguel Montero should be a free agent after this season. Would be a nice fit here along wiht Lavarnway, and if Ortiz goes. I am ready for winter already!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Catcher Miguel Montero should be a free agent after this season. Would be a nice fit here along wiht Lavarnway, and if Ortiz goes. I am ready for winter already!
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]

Unless Lava is not a worthy catcher, I don't see us looking to get a catcher for a long time. We have Salty for 2 years and Swihart waiting in the wings.

Plus, I have to think Youk slides to DH next year, if we take the option.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

all true Sir. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]all true Sir. 
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]

However, we could trade Salty (something I have advocated since November), keep Youk at 3B for one more year (or not take the option) and then get Montero, so Lava can be the primary DH and back-up catcher.

We could also see Youk play 3B 60% and DH 40% and Lava DH 60% and catch 30% with Middlebrooks or Aviles covering 3B 40% of the time. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Montero threw out 40% of the would-be base stealers in 2011, that sounds great. His bat showed some real power last season.... however he wants the moon in terms of salary. 

I like Salty for his hard-work in 2011 (really a gamer) but maybe that is his downfall... he has to work hard everyday just to have a chance to stay. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

To ad:  Great to see fivekatz back.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Word was we could have had Montero for Michael Bowden a couple years ago. Theo's legacy is becoming more tarnished as years go on. Can't complain about winning it all twice though! Maybe the rumor was untrue about Bowden for Montero. Can't believe a lot of this stuff.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

We all know that Salty being replaced by Lavarnway is very unlikely but it does certainly make a statement doesn't it! Let the Valentine era start off with a bang!

I'd prefer a trade of Salty if we can get something for him. Maybe his fading at the end of last year was mainly fatigue and injuries. Maybe it's time for 3 catchers as long as aat least one of them can play somewhere else. Keeps all the catchers fresh! If the DH slot were open I think there would be a lot of advantages in doing this for Youk, Lavarnway and others.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]We all know that Salty being replaced by Lavarnway is very unlikely but it does certainly make a statement doesn't it! Let the Valentine era start off with a bang! I'd prefer a trade of Salty if we can get something for him. Maybe his fading at the end of last year was mainly fatigue and injuries. Maybe it's time for 3 catchers as long as aat least one of them can play somewhere else. Keeps all the catchers fresh! If the DH slot were open I think there would be a lot of advantages in doing this for Youk, Lavarnway and others.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Lav should be a great guy to have regardless Boomer.  Last year we were reading about the kid both good and bad, now we have him as an option from the start.   If Ciriaco keeps playing his heart out, there may be more guys than just Salty who need to play hard all season in order to stay in the lineup.

It's great to have more options going in.  Now if we can just get Kalish healthy maybe our RF position could also become a bit more clear for the future.  Ross and Sweeney will help but I don't see either starting next season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : Lav should be a great guy to have regardless Boomer.  Last year we were reading about the kid both good and bad, now we have him as an option from the start.   If Ciriaco keeps playing his heart out, there may be more guys than just Salty who need to play hard all season in order to stay in the lineup. It's great to have more options going in.  Now if we can just get Kalish healthy maybe our RF position could also become a bit more clear for the future.  Ross and Sweeney will help but I don't see either starting next season.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]
    not too sure about that. Ross seems to have a swing tailored for fenway. if he plays well kalish might be the 4th outfielder in 2013.

Sections
Shortcuts