A Realistic look at 2012: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I

In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I:
    In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : YOOOUUUUKKK! You have a point. If anyone can make the leap as a pitcher though it might be Darvish. He has a 95-96 mph fastball and is quite big if I remember correctly. He has what looks to be conventional mlb level stuff. Unlike most of the Japanes pitchers. Kuroda has been decent. Nomo was decent. Saito was decent. Oki was decent. There have been a few asian pitchers which have had solid careers. It is important to note that we often see them after their prime. Darvish is still young.   I don't think many of us are projecting the Sox to sign another Japanese pitcher soon though. Or having one who will want to sign with us. 
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

The Japanese pitchers don't have much say in where they go - whoever bids the highest gets exclusive negotiating rights.  Darvish's actual salary when it comes to CBT will be in the Dice-K range.  Even if you don't want him, sign him and trade him before he even throws a pitch - $9M / year is a reasonable gamble for even a small market team.  It would be foolish not to be in on Darvish.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

Darvish is gonjna cost a ton of money because of all the teams that are gonna be in on him...i doubt the sox are gonna emerge the winners in that battle

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : YOOOUUUUKKK! You have a point. If anyone can make the leap as a pitcher though it might be Darvish. He has a 95-96 mph fastball and is quite big if I remember correctly. He has what looks to be conventional mlb level stuff. Unlike most of the Japanes pitchers. Kuroda has been decent. Nomo was decent. Saito was decent. Oki was decent. There have been a few asian pitchers which have had solid careers. It is important to note that we often see them after their prime. Darvish is still young.   I don't think many of us are projecting the Sox to sign another Japanese pitcher soon though. Or having one who will want to sign with us. 

Nomo was decent, until he signed for 9M, and posted ERA's over 7 in his last 2 seasons, even Lackey hasn't been that awful. Japan is FOLLY!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : To me Zambrano is radioactive. He physically fights with teammates and has done so on multiple occasions. He is mentally unstable. Lackey rolls his eyes and stinks. Zambrano stinks and punches out his catcher. Now maybe we DFA Zambrano in your scenario just to get out from under CC. I am not sure the players work to make the RS any better but the money works for Boston. In fact it works so well unless somebody on the Cubs thinks Crawford was his 2010 stat sheet. I can't see what is in it for the Cubs. It is too easy to just DFA Zambrano and find a suitor for Soriano at that deadline with them eating some money but getting some prospects back. Now Soriano for Lackey might have some synergy. Very similar money and the RS could use Soriano as a DH, spot LF. But Soriano isn't exactly a OBP machine, he is a lesser Vladdy who is aging quickly. He is a weak fundamentals guys too. Question is do the RS feel they just have to make those two guys go away? Lackey maybe. He is a tightly wrapped guy and his life is going to be hell in Boston until he wins 8 out of 10 with an ERA in the low 4's and getting him not to care and to learn how to tell the media, "I did not have it tonight, it is all on me, I have to do better and will" may be impossible. At least Crawford knows how to feed the mediots even if his play appears less caring than Lackey's.
    Posted by fivekatz

As you know, I have been all over the Cc signing since day one, but that doesn't mean I don't think he is any good. He is way better than Soriano and would likely thrive in the NL culture. My position has been that CC will likely retrun to career norms, but is about $50M overpaid. Well, the Cubs are not shy about spending money, and if we take about $40M of junk off their hands, it makes Crawford worth it. They save a ton of cash in 2012, but in a sense spread it out and end up with someone with more talent than anyone they give up.

Yes, we may just DFA Zambo, but maybe some meds would help. I think we could get some value out of 3 years Soriano (RH'd) and one year of Dempster.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : Our hidden cameras spotted the intrepid Mr. harness on his way to the track... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl6MHgh1vFQ
    Posted by summerof67

Hilarious. One of my all-time favorites. Thanks my friend.
    GM season is officially under way when this youtube appears:)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

What do you guys think of Aceves as a closer? I absolutely could see that. If they were thinking about it they probably wouldn't mention it in order to not offend Papelbon. I think that option is doable.

I've always respected your opinions, Boom....even though I am a Republican.  But, I refuse to categorize people based on their political beliefs...Schilling, Bush, Obama or anyone else.  Besides, this is not the forum to keep bringing it up. 

I apologize to the board for the comment,  but I just can't ignore the low blows.

Actually, Boom, I'm offended.

I don't think that either Bard or Papelbon would make it as starters.  Bard couldn't make it in the minors as a starter, how could he make it in the majors.  Papelbons mentality is suited as a reliever.  Besides, he doesn't have the pitch variety or ability to pace himself to be a starter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bard in the 8th and Paps in the 9th is a pretty unstoppable duo. I wouldn't mess with it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I think if they mess with Papelbon and Bard(especially Paps), the same thing would happen to them as what happened to Joba Chamberlain.  It messed up his arm.  The way Eckersley excelled is truly an anomoly.  Did he go back and forth or was it strictly one-way?  I don't recall.  If he went back and forth it truly was amazing.  Of course, he, like Tavarez or Aceves had that 'rubber arm'.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think the first Theo decision (assuming it is Theo) will have to be Papi. It might effect what to do with Youk, Lavarnway, and others. 

I reaally ahte to see him go. He's the Sox biggest hero in my lifetime. His clutch hits are legendary. He deserves a bit of an overpay, so he can retire here. As much as I love Big Papi, it still bugs me when he doesn't run to 1B or grandstands an HR. I don't like the message that he sends--the old two sets of rules Sox mentality.

That being said, having others get rest time by revolving the DH position makes a lot of sense as well. Getting younger and faster can't hurt either.

It's a tough call. I've changed my numbers slightly a few times, but I'm leaning towards something like this:

Year 1: $12M (+$500K .950+ OPS and $500K .900+ OPS)
    Year 2: $9M (+$500K .900+ OPS and $500K .850+ OPS)
    year 3: $6M (+$500K .900+, $500K .850+, and $500K .800+ OPS) 
                           with club buyout option $1M
    Effectively making his luxury tax deal worth $11M/yr x 2 years.

Maybe Papi is the best issue to start with. 

Your thoughts?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I'm way behind on the thread. I'll just add that I seriously doubt Youk will be traded (why trade one of the few good RH hitters the team has?) and if Papi doesn't return, the face lift will rival that of Joan Rivers.

This same group, minus the coaches, could return and win a ring. I hope the season-ending panic mode that infiltrated this team doesn't dictate FO thinking.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

Whether or not Crawford is overpaid, you'd have to be crazy to trade him right now.  One of, if not the worst seasons of his career, with 6 years and about $120 mill left on his contract. You'd get absolutely nothing and have to kick in a bunch of money.  I bet he has a bounce back year, and makes up lost time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

yes by hitting 25 doubles, 12 homers, an obp of .330 and stealing 40 bases - big deal.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : I've always respected your opinions, Boom....even though I am a Republican.  But, I refuse to categorize people based on their political beliefs...Schilling, Bush, Obama or anyone else.  Besides, this is not the forum to keep bringing it up.  I apologize to the board for the comment,  but I just can't ignore the low blows. Actually, Boom, I'm offended.  I don't think that either Bard or Papelbon would make it as starters.  Bard couldn't make it in the minors as a starter, how could he make it in the majors.  Papelbons mentality is suited as a reliever.  Besides, he doesn't have the pitch variety or ability to pace himself to be a starter.
    Posted by ampoule

UR not alone, Amp. If it's not his politics, it's PED/steroid finger-pointing.
    Or just out and out slander.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm way behind on the thread. I'll just add that I seriously doubt Youk will be traded (why trade one of the few good RH hitters the team has?) and if Papi doesn't return, the face lift will rival that of Joan Rivers. This same group, minus the coaches, could return and win a ring. I hope the season-ending panic mode that infiltrated this team doesn't dictate FO thinking.

Yes, we can win with everyone back... and healthy, but I'm not thinking we should pin all our hopes on health. It has burned us 2 straight years. We need a deeper staff and more consistent RF play. We've seen that Salty has issues with pitchers and are OK with him catching another 60%-65%? We're Ok with poor fielding SSs with "no instincts"?

Yes, this is the same team I said, on paper, could compete for a ring, but they will be a year older. We might just need minor tinkering, but I'd like a little more.
    Posted by harness

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I think if they mess with Papelbon and Bard(especially Paps), the same thing would happen to them as what happened to Joba Chamberlain.  It messed up his arm.  The way Eckersley excelled is truly an anomoly.  Did he go back and forth or was it strictly one-way?  I don't recall.  If he went back and forth it truly was amazing.  Of course, he, like Tavarez or Aceves had that 'rubber arm'.
    Posted by ampoule
    Eck was a gifted starter, almost a phenom coming out of Cleveland. His career as a starter slowly deteriorated as his issues with alcohol increased. He pretty much hit bottom after a trade to the Cubs.

Fro the Cubs he went to Oakland and LaRussa saw something special there and he went from a secondary reliever to closer. And it was Eck who was really the first 9th inning guy as opposed to 2-3 inning appearances.

The trip from successful starter to successful closer isn't common but there also was John Smoltz. I can't think of a guy who was an all-star closer at the MLB level and became an all-star starter though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Well the first order of business obviously is going to be to get Epstein's short term future settled.

While a team can make trades without a GM (Fall 2005), they can't hire a manager or a coaching staff without a GM. Very few quality guys are going to sign on to being a field manager that will be reporting to a To Be Named Later.

And there is some interesting dynamics with Epstein. How much support does he still have with Henry and Werner? How much interest do the Cubs still have in him? What are his feelings about taking another job with the current situation in such a mess? Will the RS release Epstein from his current contract if he wants to go and the Cubs want him? Will the Cubs have to compensate the RS?

If Epstein does move on, do the RS stay the course and promote from within or do they go to market and find a new GM?

To me the sooner the RS can square away the stability of the FO and hire a field manager, the smoother the rest of the off season goes. While contract terms are always the number one concern with FA players, who they will be working for every day (manager) does matter to them.

So while many in RS Nation wait to see what happens with Epstein and think of it as wheteher he will be "fired", his decisions, the RS position on his decisions are a major connecting point to the future rather than "retribution" for signings that in some cases not only did the Trio approve but in fact encouraged.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Everyone's comments have merit. Yet, first I think that clubhouse harmony has to be addressed to determine who fits and who doesn't. This may be a determining factor as to who stays or not.

For example, I have trouble forgetting the sneer on Crawford's face for Scutaro on that slide/don't slide play.  There was no friendly look in his eye.  Or, Youk's comments on why Ellsbury wasn't with the team during his injury.  Even Youks tantrum with Manny...and I am a Youk fan.

I have no idea how many other incidents there are that we know nothing about.  This, I believe was a just cause for Francona's departure.  It was Terry's job to straighten these things out before it had an effect on the playing field. In essesnce, I feel Terry was too good of a guy who felt problems between players would somehow heal themselves without intervention. With adult men, this could probably happen, but we're dealing here with young multi-million year old guys.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I :  Nomo was decent, until he signed for 9M, and posted ERA's over 7 in his last 2 seasons, even Lackey hasn't been that awful. Japan is FOLLY!
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20

With Nomo and Okajima, you had guys whose success was largely tied to the deception of their delivery - once batters got used to their deliveries, they were hit much harder.  Dice-K's issue is command - his stuff is still top of the rotation, but he walks too many batters.  Darvish had only 32 walks in 215 innings this year.  Takashi Saito has had a very good career, and is still a valuable part of a post-season team at age 41.  Hiroki Kuroda is likely the third-best pitcher to hit free agency this year.  

Think of it this way - if you sign Sabathia or CJ Wilson, they cost 2-2.5 times as much on the luxury tax, which makes them untradeable.  You sign Darvish, you might pay a hefty posting fee but he'll make $9M/year.  That's Carl Pavano money.  That's $2M LESS than what Ted Lilly makes.  That's only $2M more than Javier Vasquez got from the Marlins AFTER his disastrous 2010.  If he doesn't work out, he can be moved.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Everyone's comments have merit. Yet, first I think that clubhouse harmony has to be addressed to determine who fits and who doesn't. This may be a determining factor as to who stays or not. For example, I have trouble forgetting the sneer on Crawford's face for Scutaro on that slide/don't slide play.  There was no friendly look in his eye.  Or, Youk's comments on why Ellsbury wasn't with the team during his injury.  Even Youks tantrum with Manny...and I am a Youk fan. I have no idea how many other incidents there are that we know nothing about.  This, I believe was a just cause for Francona's departure.  It was Terry's job to straighten these things out before it had an effect on the playing field. In essesnce, I feel Terry was too good of a guy who felt problems between players would somehow heal themselves without intervention. With adult men, this could probably happen, but we're dealing here with young multi-million year old guys.
    Posted by ampoule
    Amp taking your take a step further, Francona felt the problems would heal themselves with his taking a lighter hand because they had in the past. I don't think he did not intervene at all. But I am sure his style was to appeal to intellect and reason rather than just yelling at people to S T F U and knock it off!

The nuance here is that what we are dealing with here wasn't "straighten these things out before it had an effect on the playing field" but rather when things went so wrong on the field the behavior went enough out of control. Come September the starting pitching made that a bad team that because of the internal issues of focus and attention to detail became historically awful.

IMO they have to fix the pitching first and most of the rest will follow with a change in culture. Their record mid April - August was no accident. Their pitching staff did not need 8 runs a night from the offense to be in a game.

Some things can change. I don't think fans will like it but the next manager would be well served treating the media like Bellichick does and make players follow that same code.

But the fact that Youk is an annoying soul can be addressed without amputation. Crawford's galre doesn't happen if the team isn't in that nose dive and the panic it brought because the starters were getting blown up so bad. Crawford's issues are his terrible approach at the plate, fear of failure and poor in game judgments.

If the RS FO spends more time worrying about how the guys reacted to the meltdown than the core cause of the meltdown nothing gets fixed because losing creates bad chemistry and a team that has a 7 plus ERA loses a lot!

Just my takes

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : With Nomo and Okajima, you had guys whose success was largely tied to the deception of their delivery - once batters got used to their deliveries, they were hit much harder.  Dice-K's issue is command - his stuff is still top of the rotation, but he walks too many batters.  Darvish had only 32 walks in 215 innings this year.  Takashi Saito has had a very good career, and is still a valuable part of a post-season team at age 41.  Hiroki Kuroda is likely the third-best pitcher to hit free agency this year.   Think of it this way - if you sign Sabathia or CJ Wilson, they cost 2-2.5 times as much on the luxury tax, which makes them untradeable.  You sign Darvish, you might pay a hefty posting fee but he'll make $9M/year.  That's Carl Pavano money.  That's $2M LESS than what Ted Lilly makes.  That's only $2M more than Javier Vasquez got from the Marlins AFTER his disastrous 2010.  If he doesn't work out, he can be moved.
    Posted by slomag

I think Matsuzaka's problem was mainly "stuff". He had been successful in nibbling before but mlb hitters just laid off his pitches and he wasn't getting the Michael Jordan treatment he got in Japan. One could say he even got penalized in the US over time. 

Yu Darvish has better stuff. I agree that he would be worth considering but there appears to be some bad taste in the Redsox management team's mouths regarding their Japanese signings so far ( I personally think unjustified bad taste ). i don't think they will even bid but who knows. Hopefully they can be objective about it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : I've always respected your opinions, Boom....even though I am a Republican.  But, I refuse to categorize people based on their political beliefs...Schilling, Bush, Obama or anyone else.  Besides, this is not the forum to keep bringing it up.  I apologize to the board for the comment,  but I just can't ignore the low blows. Actually, Boom, I'm offended.  I don't think that either Bard or Papelbon would make it as starters.  Bard couldn't make it in the minors as a starter, how could he make it in the majors.  Papelbons mentality is suited as a reliever.  Besides, he doesn't have the pitch variety or ability to pace himself to be a starter.
    Posted by ampoule

I was certainly offended also Amp, many times in that discussion, but I do regret the special olympics comment in particular. I get very frustrated in arguing with people. I sometimes get angry. I wish I hadn't said it. It's done and now people have something real they can criticize. Congrats to them.

I don't want to argue especially on Moon's threads. If anyone wants the last word on criticizing me, go at it. I'm done with this.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

To me, Bard has improved a lot but I don't see the toughness yet still. When it got high pressure he seemed to throw more meatballs up there. Couldn't get his secondary pitches over. Etc... 

Watching Aceves the other day, he hit 2 batters in an extremely important game and he appeared to be surprised they had a guy up in the pen. It was like Pedro. He sometimes seemed crazy but confidence was never an issue.

Aceves is our guy. We should run with that. It's a lot easier to replace Aceves than it is to replace Papelbon. Aceves can even give us 2 innings regularly. I think he could be an excellent closer.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

To me, Bard has improved a lot but I don't see the toughness yet still. When it got high pressure he seemed to throw more meatballs up there. Couldn't get his secondary pitches over. Etc...  Watching Aceves the other day, he hit 2 batters in an extremely important game and he appeared to be surprised they had a guy up in the pen. It was like Pedro. He sometimes seemed crazy but confidence was never an issue. Aceves is our guy. We should run with that. It's a lot easier to replace Aceves than it is to replace Papelbon. Aceves can even give us 2 innings regularly. I think he could be an excellent closer.
    Boom maybe it is that you saw Bard in so many more high pressure situations over 162 games? Francona almost routinely asked Bard to get arguably the toughest outs in the game, inherited runners with the game late and close. No margin for error and often it was in the heart of the opponents order.

I am not discounting Aceves year at all. But often the freshest memory is the lasting one and further what Aceves was asked to do carried far less pressure than what Bard or Papelbon are asked to do. Late inning relievers know that their offense has very few outs in hand if any to deal with a run allowed when they appear.

Whether it is Bard or Aceves replacing Papelbon, Doug Jones in 2003 famously made a very strong point about closing, it was paraphrased that anyone who thought the last three outs of a game were no different than the other 24, never got the last three outs of a game.

Now Paplebon is know quantity as is Bard at what he does. Unless his value spirals out of reason, he probably should the RS number one priority internal FA. Aceves should and will be tendered. His elasticity is of tremendous value. And while your memory is fresh with some failures, Bard is darn good at what he does.

I am not as quick as others to dismiss wheter Aceves could or couldn't be a closer BUT it is a reach that would not and IMO will not be the primary goal of the RS. And in the context of turning papelbon into a starter, that plan is so full of holes though it is an out of box idea.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : I think Matsuzaka's problem was mainly "stuff". He had been successful in nibbling before but mlb hitters just laid off his pitches and he wasn't getting the Michael Jordan treatment he got in Japan. One could say he even got penalized in the US over time.  Yu Darvish has better stuff. I agree that he would be worth considering but there appears to be some bad taste in the Redsox management team's mouths regarding their Japanese signings so far ( I personally think unjustified bad taste ). i don't think they will even bid but who knows. Hopefully they can be objective about it.

I disagree Boom - Matsuzaka was averaging 7.7 H/9 this year before he was injured.  That would have been good for 9th in the league, between CJ Wilson and David Price.  And that was not a-typical - in 2008, he led the league with 6.9 H/9.  His stuff was always there - just too often out of the zone.

I think the general perception will be that the Red Sox are gun shy about another Japanese pitcher, but that could put them in the sleeper position.  I don't think ownership minds spending money on this team - they just don't like the idea of putting money in other team's pockets.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

We can agree to disagree slomag. I think he didn't want to put the ball over the plate, that he fought that until the very end. The guy would put base runners on rather than throwing the ball over the plate. It seems that in the press the Sox kept telling him to pitch to contact more. He rarely got past the 5th inning....etc. Even before he got here Bobby Valentine predicted that major league hitters would sometimes take his fastball out of the park. And I think he pitched the way he did because he knew that was true.

On the other hand, I probably agree with you on Darvish's potential. I just don't think the Redsox are anxious to go down that road again. I also don't think I agree with the way the Sox managed Matsuzaka and Oki. Since we do not know all the facts maybe I'm unaware of key issues but they should have trusted Matsuzaka's judgement more IMO. He needed a lot of practise throws to refine his accuracy. As did Tazawa and Oki. It is part of Japanese pitching and what makes them so good when they are healthy. It's just that they do often wear out much sooner than US pitchers, or at least that is what we have been told. I'm not certain even that is true. What I think we do know however is that Matsuzaka needed pinpoint control to be successful  and if they didn't let him develop that to the needed level it affected his performance.

His best 2 years were his first 2. Same thing with Oki and Tazawa. There may be something to their practice methods which are positive.

Sections
Shortcuts