A Realistic look at 2012: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I

n

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : Moon - take your expectations and add 5 HRs and 7 RBIs and you have Trot Nixon's average.  Add four more HRs and you have Dwight Evans.  Is it possible that Reddick looks worse than he is because of the lineup around him?  We don't need an all-star at every position - if he gives us .270 and good defense every year at a very small price tag, that will be fine.  It's what allows us to spend $20M on guys like Gonzalez. BTW, I think he's got better power than 15 HRs - he had 23 this year between Boston and Pawtucket.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]A fair point about where on OFers offense may fit on the RS particularly in recent years where they have had firepower from other positions.

OTOH the thing about Reddick that has always been a red flag is his selectivity as a hitter. Also the RS themselves certainly feel is vunerable to LH pitching, which a platoon would cover.

He is an incomplete product still, certainly not likely to become an allstar but IMO his ceiling is a LH Francouer type of player.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Cherington's announcement about lackey's getting TJ certainly brings into focus the issues that the 2011 RS had and what the team building challenge is that awaits.

Personally I applaud Cherington's take on the pitching staff. He believes they have a good top of the rotation under contract (Beckett, Lester, Buch) and that the focus needs to be on building a deeper and better bottom of the rotation and depth behind that.

Lackey's surgery will take one thing off of the table which is the need to dump Lackey. He will likely get a fresh start in this market by 2013. So it isn't pretty but the RS likely are going to troll looking to find "inning eaters" and a deep bullpen that can deliver about 600-700 IP.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon - take your expectations and add 5 HRs and 7 RBIs and you have Trot Nixon's average.  Add four more HRs and you have Dwight Evans.  

Those were different eras (more so with Dewey). 

Trot did start off rather slow in the minors until his .913 OPS year in 1998.
    In MLB, Nixon had 3 years with an OPS over .880 (one at .975). 
    His 3 best OPS+? 123, 128, & 149, his next best 5 years were from 96 to 110.
    Career: .828 OPS (112 OPS+)

Dewey came up faster than Jim and Fred. He had an .891 OPS in 1972 AAA.
    It took him 5 seasons in the bigs to get over .880, but he had many more afterwards, thanks in large part to his nice OBP (not a big thing in that era's philosophy).
    Career: .840 OPS (127+ OPS)

I think Reddick could put up Nixon numbers, I just don't hink he will. I have said it's based on a hunch, so don't ask me to explain.  It's hard to really judge Josh so early. His MLB sample size has been spread over 3 seasons. 
    Career OPS: .706 (86 OPS+) 
    with 10 HRs in 375 PAs with almost all ve RHPs (only 55 PAs vs LHPs).
    Reddick in the minors has shown these OPS:
    '07  A-AA       .881
    '08  A-AA       .899
    '09  AA-AAA  .763
    '10    AAA      .767
    '11    AAA      .841 

Is it possible that Reddick looks worse than he is because of the lineup around him?  

You tell me: 
    project his numbers to 162 Games:
    .248  11  42  (.290/.416/.706)
    project 2011's numbers to 162 games:
    .280  13  50  (.327/.457/.784)

Of course, he still can improve. I'm not judging him on 375 PAs spread over 3 seasons. All I am saying is that my gut says he will at best become a good platoon RF'er who can also field very well.

We don't need an all-star at every position - if he gives us .270 and good defense every year at a very small price tag, that will be fine.  It's what allows us to spend $20M on guys like Gonzalez.

I agree, and voted to "go light" in RF on my other thread. I'd be happy with Cody Ross and Reddick sharing RF duties in 2012, if we used the savings to boost pitching and not on someone like Reyes at SS.

BTW, I think he's got better power than 15 HRs - he had 23 this year between Boston and Pawtucket.

He had 14 in AAA and 7 in MLB. That's 21 in 485 PAs. Not bad at all, but let's see him hit 20 in MLB in 480 platoon PAs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

A few random thoughts...
    Boom/Harness, give it a rest!! You've both been great contributors for a long time, we don't need to be regressing to Softy levels of name-calling and childish nonsense!! And if either of you posts again that "I don't want to keep arguing this, but..." I'm going to break my keyboard! Enuf already!!

Ignore doesn't work on posters who keep getting banned and resurfacing with new handles, ie Softy/Hank, Law/ourman. What does it take for the Boston Globe to convince you that you're not wanted? How many bannings?

OK, I got that off my chest, now on to baseball...
    It appears Harness was correct about Lackey's ineffectiveness; it was injury related. How else does a pitcher deteriorate so quickly? And don't tell me conditioning because he looked better (slimmer) at the start of this season than he has ever looked.

Unless Lavarnway is going to be our regular catcher, which I seriously doubt, he needs to begin the season catching five to six games per week at AAA. We would be wasting his developmental time DHing him or using him as an MLB backup. See how he's doing both with the bat and behind the dish in the summer and make him force his way into the lineup.

I think Scutaro has earned the starting SS job for next year. As the season wound down, he, along with Pedy and Ells were our most reliable hitters. I don't think he is a great defensive SS, but his bat and his toughness make him at least above average. I think this is the winter that Lowrie should be moved in a package for pitching help; I like Aviles better as an all-around infielder/hitter. And Iglesias will still be in play come summer.

Cherington said today that he would look first for an "in-house" solution in right field, apparently looking at Reddick and Kalish, as well as a right-handed hitting role player. Whichever one fails to win the job should be packaged along with Lowrie, as it's senseless to keep them both. I like Kalish's overall game over Reddick, but I think both could become league average players, nothing more, nothing less. 

Cherington also said he is in discussions with both Paps and Papi. I think we should retain both unless the money/years are ridiculous. I've read about Lavarnway being able to DH, or Youk, and while I like the roster flexibility of NOT having a dedicated DH like Ortiz, his production is simply not easily replaced. And Papelbon's production is extremely difficult to replace. Paps is the key to building the entire bullpen, which this year's playoffs are proving to be a very intricate piece of the puzzle.

And finally, while the media has had an orgasmic frenzy dissecting all the sub-plots and back-room stories surrounding the collapse, we can't overlook that the collapse took place on the field because our pitching was non-existent in September. All the rest is background noise and if we fix the pitching (getting a new PC is a good start) and start winning like we did for four months, all the clubhouse chemistry and drama will be forgotten. Cherington talked today about the old "low-risk-high-reward" aquisitions, and it certainly worked for the Yankees this year, and they didn't have three solid starters like we do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Lackey comment was not surprising. He pitched like he was hurt, but maybe kept some of it a secret so as not to activate the injury option clause. Well, at least the 2012 Lackey question is put to rest, and there's a rosier outlook for John for 2013 than I had yesterday.

I like Ben's comments about a "strong voice" manager and Papi and Paps. Maybe I missed soemthing, but some poster was claiming he thought Ben hinted at them both walking. I can't seem to find the whole transcript of what he said.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

So...it seems that most here doubt Reddick / Kalish as the soution in RF. Most seem to want Ortiz back. At least Cherington thinks re signing Paps will be difficult but he appears optimistic about Ortiz. The guys at soxprospects seem to predominantly think Lavarnway replaces Tek ( last I looked it was around 6-7 to one in the Lavarnay thread ).

Personally, I agree with Cherington to look for an internal solution first in RF. We have a lot of needs and I think we have 2 acceptable low cost solutions available in RF. We should focus on other needs first. For example, filling 2 starter slots.

Signing Lackey to a contract which cuts his deal big time if his elbow ended up being a problem has a good side and a bad side. It saved us money but it may have kept him pitching all year also, when he should have shut it down due to the elbow. So, we may have ended up getting a horrible performance last year because he didn't want to lose the $10 plus mil.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

What if...

1) Ben does bring back Ortiz and Paps?

2) Replaces Tek with Lavarnway

3) Crawford / Youk come back strong

4) and our rotation ends up with Buchholz back and solid #4 and 5 starters.

To me, that would be a heck of a good hitting team, a solid pen and if they do add some solid starters we should be absolutely back in the hunt.

We would sacrifice a bunch of draft picks under that scenario but we would optimize the team for next year. I don't see it happening but if we are focused mainly on next year it would maximize next year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

1) Ellsbury
    2) Pedroia
    3) Gonzalez
    4) Youk
    5) Ortiz
    6) Crawford
    7) Lavarnway
    8) Reddick
    9) Scutaro

To me, that is potentially a better offfense than we had last year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Thanks for posting, Jid.

Yes, Harn, Boom, Expitch.....please give it a rest.   I know I don't contribute like you guys, but it's really painful for me to read this stuff and just feel the intense anger.  You guys are just too good for this nonsense.

Moon, I must tip my hat to you for maintaining such neutrality during all the yelling etc.  Not only with the baseball stuff, but also with the little political digs thrown that irritate me.  In essence, I'm impressed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]1) Ellsbury 2) Pedroia 3) Gonzalez 4) Youk 5) Ortiz 6) Crawford 7) Lavarnway 8) Reddick 9) Scutaro To me, that is potentially a better offfense than we had last year.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]My only issue with that is that I'd hit Crawford in the 2 hole, as that has been his comfort zone throughout his career. He'd get better pitches to hit there and Pedey has actually done quite well hitting lower in the lineup. This is a radical idea, but I'd bat Pedey cleanup, so my lineup would be:
    CF Ells
    LF Crawford
    1B Gonzo
    2B Pedey
    DH Papi
    3B Youk
    C Salty/Lavarnaway
    RF Kalish/Linares
    SS Scut

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/free-agent-market-reliefpitchers/

an interesting take on FA relief pitchers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : My only issue with that is that I'd hit Crawford in the 2 hole, as that has been his comfort zone throughout his career. He'd get better pitches to hit there and Pedey has actually done quite well hitting lower in the lineup. This is a radical idea, but I'd bat Pedey cleanup, so my lineup would be: CF Ells LF Crawford 1B Gonzo 2B Pedey DH Papi 3B Youk C Salty/Lavarnaway RF Kalish/Linares SS Scut
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]The downside of course is that Crawford in his comfort zone was nowhere near the 2 hitter that Pedroia is. He had a lower OB for that high in the order, doesn't see a lot of pitches per AB and often fails to make contact.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, I must tip my hat to you for maintaining such neutrality during all the yelling etc.  Not only with the baseball stuff, but also with the little political digs thrown that irritate me.  In essence, I'm impressed.

I'm not totally innocent, but I do try to keep this thread clean.

(I wish a few posters would just start a new thread and move their non-Red Sox beef there.)

They all are welcome here, but let's keep it about the Sox and somewhat realistic.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : The downside of course is that Crawford in his comfort zone was nowhere near the 2 hitter that Pedroia is. He had a lower OB for that high in the order, doesn't see a lot of pitches per AB and often fails to make contact.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]That's true, but I'd like to see us maximize the value of all our players, and Crawford's maximum value seems to be in the 2 hole, especially if he and Ells can be on base at the same time occasionally. Pedey seems to be able to hit anywhere, and has actually done quite well hitting cleanup.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]The Lackey comment was not surprising. He pitched like he was hurt, but maybe kept some of it a secret so as not to activate the injury option clause. Well, at least the 2012 Lackey question is put to rest, and there's a rosier outlook for John for 2013 than I had yesterday. I like Ben's comments about a "strong voice" manager and Papi and Paps. Maybe I missed soemthing, but some poster was claiming he thought Ben hinted at them both walking. I can't seem to find the whole transcript of what he said.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]Honestly Moon I don't John Lackey was keeping it a secret. I think he knew and the RS knew. Gammons as it turns out no doubt did have the buzz coming out of the RS FO when he speculated about TJ surgery when Lackey went on the DL in late May. I think it was kept secret for the same reasons that many injuries are kept quiet, but I don't think any of it was a surprise to either Lackey or the RS.

Lackey actually may have made more of stink about taking the ball as often as he did if he wasn't on a long term deal but I find it hard to think he was all that worried about the extra year that he was willing to pitch in pain and take the abuse on and off the field he did. I know it is going to be really tough for a lot of people but lackey was in his own way a real gamer in 2011.

This may have all come down differently in terms of the RS shutting him down sooner if Buch had not gone down and not returned.

As for the poster suggesting Ortiz and Pap wouldn't be back was one person's read. Cherington had very company line comments about wanting both and hoping they could find figures that would meet the RS and the players needs.

The same poster if you are referring to the same post I saw speculated that Wake and Tek were gone because he did not address either guy at all.

Just my takes

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My only issue with that is that I'd hit Crawford in the 2 hole, as that has been his comfort zone throughout his career. He'd get better pitches to hit there and Pedey has actually done quite well hitting lower in the lineup. This is a radical idea, but I'd bat Pedey cleanup, so my lineup would be:
    CF Ells
    LF Crawford
    1B Gonzo
    2B Pedey
    DH Papi
    3B Youk
    C Salty/Lavarnaway
    RF Kalish/Linares
    SS Scut

I have no issues moving Pedey to the 3 or 4 slot, but not so Crawford can bat 2nd. CC just doesn't have th OBP to ever be better than several other options on this team. CC's horrible numbers vs LHPs is also highly troublesome for a 2 slot hitter on an offense like the Sox. I'd probably be OK with him there vs RHPs, but still think we have better choices.

I think it may be time to seriously think about moving Youk to the 2 slot. His OBP is still his greatest strength, although we need RH'd power in the middle of our line-up, especially vs LHPs in Fenway.

A look at player's career slot numbers:

Pedey: 2nd .853/1st .693/9th .811 (4th 1.117 in just 121 PAs)
    Youk: 4th .937/ 3rd .936/ 6th .983/2nd .889/1st .806/5th .723
       (Youk has not batted 1st or 2nd much since being close to prime)Crawford: 2nd .806/3rd .784/ 1st .734  (7th .874 in 150 PAs)
        (Most of CC's near and in prime PAs were in the 2 slot)

Just because CC hits best in the 2 slot, does not mean he's the best Sox choice to hit 2nd.

The thought of moving Jacoby to 3rd could be an issue as well.

Assuming Papi is back, we get a guy like Cody Ross to platoon in RF, and Lava takes VTek's slot, I could see this a template line-up guidline:

vs RHPs:
    1 L Ells
    2 R Youk
    3 L AGon
    4 R Pedey
    5 L Ortiz
    6 L CC
    7 S Salty
    8 L Redd/Kalish
    9 R Scutty

I could easily swap Pedey and Youk-no sweat. I could also see this:
    Ells-Pedey-AGon-Papi-Youk

vs LHPs
    1 L Ells
    2 S Lowrie
    3 R Pedey
    4 R Youk
    5 L  AGon
    6 L Papi
    7 R Lava
    8 R Ross
    9 L Craw

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : The downside of course is that Crawford in his comfort zone was nowhere near the 2 hitter that Pedroia is. He had a lower OB for that high in the order, doesn't see a lot of pitches per AB and often fails to make contact.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

It's good enough to bat 2nd in TB, but not here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Mike Napoli magic fingers World Series CERA 1.50

Someone please get harnazz to donate to Varitek's FA contract subsidy shovel ready job.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]My only issue with that is that I'd hit Crawford in the 2 hole, as that has been his comfort zone throughout his career. He'd get better pitches to hit there and Pedey has actually done quite well hitting lower in the lineup. This is a radical idea, but I'd bat Pedey cleanup, so my lineup would be: CF Ells LF Crawford 1B Gonzo 2B Pedey DH Papi 3B Youk C Salty/Lavarnaway RF Kalish/Linares SS Scut I have no issues moving Pedey to the 3 or 4 slot, but not so Crawford can bat 2nd. CC just doesn't have th OBP to ever be better than several other options on this team. CC's horrible numbers vs LHPs is also highly troublesome for a 2 slot hitter on an offense like the Sox. I'd probably be OK with him there vs RHPs, but still think we have better choices. I think it may be time to seriously think about moving Youk to the 2 slot. His OBP is still his greatest strength, although we need RH'd power in the middle of our line-up, especially vs LHPs in Fenway. A look at player's career slot numbers: Pedey: 2nd .853 /1st .693/9th .811 (4th 1.117 in just 121 PAs) Youk: 4th .937/ 3rd .936/ 6th .983/ 2nd .889 /1st .806/5th .723    (Youk has not batted 1st or 2nd much since being close to prime)Crawford: 2nd .806 /3rd .784/ 1st .734  (7th .874 in 150 PAs)     (Most of CC's near and in prime PAs were in the 2 slot) Just because CC hits best in the 2 slot, does not mean he's the best Sox choice to hit 2nd. The thought of moving Jacoby to 3rd could be an issue as well. Assuming Papi is back, we get a guy like Cody Ross to platoon in RF, and Lava takes VTek's slot, I could see this a template line-up guidline: vs RHPs: 1 L Ells 2 R Youk 3 L AGon 4 R Pedey 5 L Ortiz 6 L CC 7 S Salty 8 L Redd/Kalish 9 R Scutty I could easily swap Pedey and Youk-no sweat. I could also see this: Ells-Pedey-AGon-Papi-Youk vs LHPs 1 L Ells 2 S Lowrie 3 R Pedey 4 R Youk 5 L  AGon 6 L Papi 7 R Lava 8 R Ross 9 L Craw 5  
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]Well, no one who's actually smart agrees with me, but that's no surprise. I just think the advantage of having Crawford hitting to his career norms outweighs the advantages of having a higher OBP guy hitting 2nd. Yes, Youk has a higher career OBP, much higher in fact. But I think it would be a good idea to get CC somewhere close to back to his comfort zone. Let's face it, the young man's confidence really took a beating this year and it might behoove the Red Sox to do something to give him back his swagger.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't think it was the slot that messed CC up. I think he tried too hard.

It's CC's OBP and numbers vs LHPs that would seriously hurt out line-up. Yes, it would lengthen it by on to the 6 slot, but the trade-off is not good. I don't want Youk or Papi batting 6th so CC can move up. They both are too good to be demoted for a weaker hitter.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Well, I never like to hear about an athlete being hurt.  But I agree with Katz that it took some character to go out there and pitch when injured--regardless of motives.  If the RS knew that he was injured, how can you do that?  Isn't that just further endangering your investment?  I hope that is not true. 

I think this situation though unfortunate does help the RS to get Lackey out of the ugly floodlights for a year and prevents some crazy solution where we do the financing.  Finally, I have been somewhat surprised at all the invective this guy seems to draw--he must have a lousy personality.  Admittedly, he has disappointed as a pitcher, however if he comes back strong, that's all I care about.  I don't care if he's not Nancy Drew as long as he doesn't poison the clubhouse.

I too liked hearing "we need a strong voice in the clubhouse."  Today for the first time I saw some speculation about Maddox, pitching coach for Texas.  I like the idea of a pitching coach for a manager.  Anyone know anything else about him?  I've heard he's smart.  Is he a "strong voice"?

Yeah, Harness and Boom, let it go.  I like what you both offer but it gets old.  I've said this to people about Softy before: Just don't respond to him or react to him.  If you guys have to get into the name calling, just don't talk to each other.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : My point was that Young's entire career of excellencewould not be erased by one relatively bad year in Fenway.

And my point is that Young has not had a career of excellence. The numbers are heavily skewed.

I am fully aware of venue issues, as well as the budget in Oakland and the fact that there are other venues such as San Diego, Seattle which also have pitching venue advantages yet it was Young's management perfomance in his venue which collectively led the league in ERA over a 7 year period. 

If you were fully  aware of venue issues, you'd know why the A's pitchers have league-leading numbers.
    Since 2003, this "tremendous" A's pitching staff has an ERA of 6.00 in Boston.
    Facing the RedSox in Oakland, it's 3.58. Get it? That's a 2 & 1/2 run disparity.
    Was Young's "management performance" at play here also?

I said before you wouldn't address this:

How many posters have tried to tell you the A's pitching was a reflection of venue. Want to know what this great A's staff did in hitting venues in Young's reign?

I asked you where the A's finished when Young did a
    tremendous job
    in 2010. Why no answer?

Tell me this,
    genius: Who was the better hitting team from 2004 to the present? Boston or Oakland?
       Then answer this: Who out-hit who during the same span: Boston playing in Oakland or the A's playing in Fenway?

Here's betting you don't have the guts to answer it.

Did you answer it? NO.
    Pitching cornerstones PO contenders. The A's have finished last or 2nd to last 4 of the last 5 years. That proves their pitching numbers are venue driven.

In 2010, their best year in the last 5, they finished 81-81.
    Home: 3.04 ERA    1.162 WHIP     .629 OPP OPS
    Road: 4.15 ERA    1.397 WHIP    .756 OPP OPS

AM  I  GETTING  THROUGH???

You said you thought it likely Young would never get another ML pitching coach job again. You, as a true blog HACK, tried to drum him out of the league based on your perceptions of him.

You are a hack's idea of a hack. How is a poster on a chat board going to "drum Young out of the league". You're exaggerations are comical.

And you and expitch think I was irresponsible in noting that SOME sportswriters might not vote for Bautista for MVP based upon their suspicions regarding PED use. What you did was true premium grade hacking. The kind Softlaw is known for regarding Ellsbury and others. I don't think I have ever completely nuked someone like that on this forum, especially based upon a less than a full picture of the guy's career. I'm tired of arguing with you. If you stopped making ignorant statements it would help. I'm not looking to argue with you. You just keep saying things which are incendiary and flat out wrong.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

You carry Softlaw baggage. You shy away from any logic that doesn't support your position. Then you lie or misrepresent to divert attention. You adopt any hack article to try and justify yourself.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I don't think either harness or I want to ruin this thread. I will try to ignore his comments. It isn't worth it and I know no one wants to hear it whether one is in the right or not. I truly do not want to argue with anyone. Especially on this thread.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

I've been reading the last several days that pitching coaches haven't been historically accepted as managers but that might be changing, Bud Black and our former guy in Toronto.  If pitching is such an important part of the game, then why not?  Of course there have been a lot of former catchers in this role, and there you have someone who was involved with closely with pitching.

What do you guys think about Bedard going forward?  I thought he pitched "adequately" but can he stay healthy.....

Sections
Shortcuts