A Realistic look at 2012: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I

I would think that they at least start the season with Aviles  / Punto. Hopefully Iglesias starts the year well in AAA ball and comes up before the all star break. That is entirely possible and keeps the team with another year of control. Hopefully he stays healthy and shows he can hit well enough to make the move. He looked like maturity was an issue the last time he came up. Lots of enthusiasm but not enough intensity. Tito wanted that intensity in every AB. Valentine might look at that situation differently. Maybe intensity doesn't necessarily mean more hits for some players. I lean towards Tito's approach in that area also but it's not a slam dunk decision. Hanley didn't show any intensity when he came up with us either and look what happened there. Latin players just don't always approach the game that way but that doesn't mean they will fail. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Oswalt got a 2M buy-out from the Phils, so he's got that in pocket, perhaps he'd sign for a little less because of that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

The dreaming continues...letting Scutaro go was a penny wise/pound foolish move...

“Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living.”

-          “Mother” Mary Harris Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) – 1930 (U.S.))

“You see, until a few weeks ago, it seemed as if Wall Street had effectively bribed and bullied our political system into forgetting about that whole drawing lavish paychecks while destroying the world economy thing. Then, all of a sudden, some people insisted on bringing the subject up again. And their (Occupy Wall Street) outrage has found resonance with millions of Americans. No wonder Wall Street is whining.”

-          Paul Krugman, Princeton economist, N.Y. Times column, 10/16/11

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

A pretty interesting article regarding why we may be trying so hard to come in under the cap:

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I:
    [QUOTE]A pretty interesting article regarding why we may be trying so hard to come in under the cap: http://www.cnbc.com/id/45554847/Did_The_Baseball_Union_Make_a_Colossal_Mistake
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

This sheds some light on the story I read a little while ago about the Yankees possibly being motivated by the new agreement to get their payroll down to 189 million by 2014.  There will now be a severe double penalty for going over the threshold.  Not only do you pay the tax but you lose your revenue share.  So as the article says you could be in a position that a 10 million dollar player will cost you 25 million!  As the writer says it's kind of hard to believe the players union allowed this in the agreement. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'm also a big advocate of the SS position being a defensive one and that SS and C should be more about defense/staff handling/holding the basestealing to a minimum/pitch calling than batting average/RBI/runs produced. We had a luxury with Nomar for many years as he was both outstanding on both sides of the game. When Alex Gonzalez was SS, it was a joy that year defensively. The short time that Pokey Reese played SS was a lot of fun and of course the short run of Orlando Cabrera (just retired btw). Defense is King, Lady Luck is Queen (anybody remember that TV game show? Jokers Wild).....Anyway, the only way it doesn't become a liability is when the rest of the lineup is doing its job and you must get production from LF, RF, 3B...2B, 1B, CF, DH seem to be the givens, 3B probably, and unfortunately LF-RF are the reasons why now there's 4 possible easy outs in the Sox lineup.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I would think that they at least start the season with Aviles  / Punto. Hopefully Iglesias starts the year well in AAA ball and comes up before the all star break. That is entirely possible and keeps the team with another year of control. Hopefully he stays healthy and shows he can hit well enough to make the move. He looked like maturity was an issue the last time he came up. Lots of enthusiasm but not enough intensity. Tito wanted that intensity in every AB. Valentine might look at that situation differently. Maybe intensity doesn't necessarily mean more hits for some players. I lean towards Tito's approach in that area also but it's not a slam dunk decision. Hanley didn't show any intensity when he came up with us either and look what happened there. Latin players just don't always approach the game that way but that doesn't mean they will fail. 

I think we may see Iggy start the season on the big club, since Aviles may be needed in the OF as DMac plays LF for CC. Aviles will be needed in the OF vs LHPs as Sweeney sits. Aviles is probably better vs RHPs than DMac and may play LF in those games.  I guess some other OF'er could make the 25 man roster, so Iggy starts in AAA, but the CC injury may change things.

I'm all for letting Iggy start day 1. I've given my reasons, but I seriously doubt that Ben and Bobby V are seeing things the way I do. (Not saying I am right and they are wrong)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I feel your pain Moon! I'd like to see Iglesias sooner rather than later but I think too many indicators point to Iglesias being the plan only if he starts out acceptably in AAA. To me that is hitting probably 265 - 275 or so would be acceptable. That's not much to ask. I also think they probably do want to retain an extra year of control over him also.

The world of mlb has changed for the worse especially for big market teams like the Redsox. They need those draft picks badly now since overslot signings are now penalized severely. Revenue sharing will make a lot of other teams more competitive. Easy steet is over. We are going to have to operate a lot more like Tampa. I'm not saying to the extreme of course because we will generally have more FA cash available but we obviously are adjusting our approach and I don't think it is only a one year fluke.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm also a big advocate of the SS position being a defensive one and that SS and C should be more about defense/staff handling/holding the basestealing to a minimum/pitch calling than batting average/RBI/runs produced. We had a luxury with Nomar for many years as he was both outstanding on both sides of the game. When Alex Gonzalez was SS, it was a joy that year defensively. The short time that Pokey Reese played SS was a lot of fun and of course the short run of Orlando Cabrera (just retired btw). Defense is King, Lady Luck is Queen (anybody remember that TV game show? Jokers Wild).....Anyway, the only way it doesn't become a liability is when the rest of the lineup is doing its job and you must get production from LF, RF, 3B...2B, 1B, CF, DH seem to be the givens, 3B probably, and unfortunately LF-RF are the reasons why now there's 4 possible easy outs in the Sox lineup.

I agree with everything here, except that I do not think Nomar was ever "outstanding" in the field, in fact I feel it is pushing it to say he was even average. He was all flash and made easy plays look hard with his jumping twisting throws from the hole. His career RF/9 is 4.48. His best was 4.57 in his rookie year. It was under 4 the year we traded him. He also made over 20 errors 4 times (25 two times) in his 6 full seasons as a starting SS. I know I may be in the minority on this, but I always thought he was over-rated defensively and rejoiced when we traded him for a real defensive short stop.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

I've always maintained that the best shortstop I ever saw was Massachusetts' own Mark Belanger. He couldn't hit a lick, but he helped make Brooks a hall-of-famer by extending his range towards the line, won two world titles and backboned the defense that aided and abetted some of the best pitching staffs in history. Let the Iggy era begin!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree Jid. Although I am often about breaking old paradigms, I think bringing back some old school theories about the game is not a bad idea. Belanger won so many games for the O's with his glove, arm and brain, it's not even funny.

I hope Iggy can become just half of what Mark was.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

The Orioles from that era had a great defensive CF ( Paul Blair ), Brooks at 3rd, and Belanger. Back when runs were scarce. I think the coming years will placve an even bigger premium on defense ( the post steroid era and probably the post HGH and God knows what era now coming up with the implementation of blood tests ). We may see guys like Iglesias be at a premium.

Remember Boog Powell. What a classic!  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's hard to know how much the O's fielding helped their staff get a lot of the kudos.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

I'm not for sticking our toe in the water.  Let's jump in with Iggy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Hey Boom, if he has to work with Pedey every day, he should learn some intensity.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

They woould no doubt be quite the pair to watch!

I still say release Ortiz and sign 2 pitchers!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]They woould no doubt be quite the pair to watch! I still say release Ortiz and sign 2 pitchers!

I'm thinking the same thing: 2 pitchers & Cody Ross.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

You guys have been amazing me for about four years!  Sounds like Ross is all but signed!  I'm amazed you pick these guys out, analyze them, determine they would be perfect fits--and then the RS go get them...Moon and Boom, I'm with you.  Jettison Papi with all thanks, go for one or two hardworking pitchers, get lean and mean and young...I'm for it...By the way, I think this kid Ben is doing pretty well within the boundaries he's been given.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]They woould no doubt be quite the pair to watch! I still say release Ortiz and sign 2 pitchers!
     Detroit could use Big Papi, perhaps there is a deal there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

9-9-9 PLAN to Restore RSN

posted at 10/18/2011 11:36 PM EDT

First: 6/25/2009
    Last: 1/23/2012

The First Pillar of my plan is to remove 9 individuals from the organization;
    Theo
    Tito
    Bogar
    Drew
    Ortiz
    Lowrie
    Varitek
    Wakefield
    Papelbon

Eight out nine, aint bad.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]9-9-9 PLAN to Restore RSN posted at 10/18/2011 11:36 PM EDT   YOUKILLUS20 Posts: 2512 First: 6/25/2009 Last: 1/23/2012  The First Pillar of my plan is to remove 9 individuals from the organization; Theo Tito Bogar Drew Ortiz Lowrie Varitek Wakefield Papelbon Eight out nine, aint bad.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

Wasn't Scutty at the bottom of your "get rid of" list?

My list would have been:

1) CC
    2) Lackey
    3) Jenks
    4) Dice-K
    5) Drew
    6) Papi ($$$)
    7) Lowrie
    8) Scutaro ($$$ and better fielding)
    9) Salty (Only because Lava is better)
    10) tie: Miller/Weiland

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]9-9-9 PLAN to Restore RSN posted at 10/18/2011 11:36 PM EDT   YOUKILLUS20 Posts: 2512 First: 6/25/2009 Last: 1/23/2012  The First Pillar of my plan is to remove 9 individuals from the organization; Theo Tito Bogar Drew Ortiz Lowrie Varitek Wakefield Papelbon Eight out nine, aint bad.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

Yes, by getting rid of a 2-time WS winning manager, the greatest DH in MLB History, the greatest catcher not known as Carlton Fisk to be a Sox catcher, the team's savior often over the years but villified for his odd pitch, and the best closer the Sox have had over a career....yes, I can see the Sox do so well now. Thank you, Youks, I think getting rid of these cancers can only turn the team into the winning franchise it should have been the past decade. Maybe now the team can go 83-79 and we can go back to the days of yearning for a winner.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : Yes, by getting rid of a 2-time WS winning manager, the greatest DH in MLB History, the greatest catcher not known as Carlton Fisk to be a Sox catcher, the team's savior often over the years but villified for his odd pitch, and the best closer the Sox have had over a career....yes, I can see the Sox do so well now. Thank you, Youks, I think getting rid of these cancers can only turn the team into the winning franchise it should have been the past decade. Maybe now the team can go 83-79 and we can go back to the days of yearning for a winner.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Ahh...the good ole days of dumping Fisk, Lynn, Burleson, Burkes and more...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I think it's ironic that Youkilis isn't on Youks20 list. Didn't he use up his useful years? Wasn't he injury prone the past 2 years? Um, not on Youks list....umm...I just don't see it. Oh well, Youks must have a good reason to not have Youkilis on his eliminate list. Has nothing to do with what's best for the team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I'm not typically one to bash Tito, but he completely lost control of the clubhouse last year.  Players were out of shape, and simply not prepared.  I'd thank Tito for his years of exceptional service, but he had to go.  That also falls on the captain of the team, Tek.  If you want the title that badly, you need to live up to it.  Paps isn't worth the contract he got, I have no problem with him walking, and don't blame him for doing so.  I'd love to see Wake back on a minor league deal if he'd accept it.  As much as people claim he kills the pen, he's about league average in IP per start.  Not a bad option out of the #5 spot.