A Realistic look at 2012: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I

Let me add C as a another absolute question mark. Can the staff even feel confident with the catching situation. Maybe that makes Shoppach more important than Salty.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, I'm kind of not feeling what you are reasoning, which I still feel are a good amount of question marks. The team is very much pre-2003 styled--rehab projects taking what could be several spots on the pitching staff. Cody Ross is an upgrade I guess for RF, but only a slight one. 

danny, last year our RF OPS was like .650. Do you really think Ross FT or  Ross ?Sweeney platoon is just a "slight Improvement"? I see the potential for a 200 point gain this year...certainlt 100 is almost automatic.

Still see SS and LF as massive question marks. 

I agree, but remember, we came within 1 game of the playoffs with a very bad fielding SS who missed many games and was replaced by an equally bad fielder who had an off year offensively as well (Jed).

Trying to figure out if Aceves and Bard are starters now--to me it's a fishing expedition. Hopefully one will establish right away in ST they can do the job. To me, one needs to be put in the pen based on need. Don't think you should have both in the rotation. 

I'd like both to stay in the pen.

Clay had back troubles, Beckett PR troubles, and Lester seems to me a sure, sure thing of the three to perform at a top level. 

The top 3 have never all had good years at once. The odds are probably against that happening in 2012, but maybe the odds are also against it never happening as well, and maybe 2012 is "the year".

Doesn't mean both Beckett and Clay won't be top-line starters, which both are obviously easily capable of. Youkilis range will be an issue. Ortiz performing at even 2011 standards also a question mark--and what if they feel after the fact they wanted to not pay that money?  I do not expect CC to be a major contributor---again. Maybe the other AL teams have similar question marks, etc, but this is the first season since 2002 I've felt that the team is not almost a sure thing for postseason. Even the years the team missed in the past decade were considered better coming into the year--2005, 2010, 2011. 

I don't know why you think going into 2011, we looked better than now. No Paps? 
    I feel better about Papi now than last spring. 
    I feel better about RF now.
    I feel better about Salty.
    I actually feel better about SS.

I felt better about Lackey, Dice-K, and Wake than I do about our 4/5/6 starters now.

Pedroia, AGON, Ellsbury, Youkilis (hitting-wise), Ortiz (historically) do give the team a solid offensive base. A focused Beckett, healthy Clay, historical Lester, Bailey at closer, Aceves at middle relief (there I made my choice for pen) could be enough to carry the staff. If Ross turns into Darren Bragg, the one after the Sox got him for Jamie Moyer at all-star break, I would take that (then I checked his stats back then, and no I'd rather not take that...lol...Darren played great defense though). But he could just as easily be a light-hitting disappointment (more like Bragg). I'm still thinking 83 to 85 wins for this team until or if the team either gets a real 4th starter and/or real SS and/or a real power hitting OF. Maybe they get 90 if things work out.

I remember Darren well. I think Ross will get better in Fenway.

Let me add C as a another absolute question mark. Can the staff even feel confident with the catching situation. Maybe that makes Shoppach more important than Salty.

I worry how they will handle the staff, but not about their hitting... if they platoon L-R.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

2011, I felt the offense was going to be tremendous (that is if CC were to hit, which he didn't, and we didn't bank on Youks getting injured again, cutting down his numbers). I guess with Bobby V in charge, I do feel it's going to be a true mystery how the team performs. I'm not convinced the team is playoff-bound for 2012. Not saying it won't happen, am saying it's likely the team will not pan out. And, yes, you do have a brighter outlook forecast than I do.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

2011, I felt the offense was going to be tremendous (that is if CC were to hit, which he didn't, and we didn't bank on Youks getting injured again, cutting down his numbers). 

Boom, I know last year we all had discussions about the outlook of our offense. Not many agreed with me when I said I thought we'd be at least as good as 2010. The loss of Beltre and VMart loomed in many poster's minds. The steady decline of Papi, particularly against LHPs was a big worry. Worries about the return from injury of Ells and Cam, Scutty and JD getting a year older, and Salty being a huge question mark.

Papi ended up doing very well. Scutty got better with age. Ellsbury turned into a monster, and the Salty/VTek combo did almost as well as 2010's numbers. 

Looking at this year's outlook, I really don't think I am being optimistic to think Cody Ross and Sweeney will hit near their career norms as they move from pitcher's parks to a hitter's park. If they just do that, we'll gain about .150 in RF OPS over 2011. That should more than make up for any loss we have at SS and then some (even if Iggy gets 500+ PAs). I can see a decline from Papi, but I expect more from Youk, so I'll call that about even. I think Pedey and Ells will come close to 2011 numbers, but if they decline, the differential could be made up for by gains from Salty/Shopp and AGon. If Bobby V uses a straight L-R platoon at catcher, we should gain about 50 points without anyone doing any better than their 2011 splits. I think now that AGon is a year removed from his injury, he's poised for an incredible year (45+ HRs and 130+ RBIs). CC is staill the wildcard, but I can;t see him not improving.

It's the pitching that worries me.

I guess with Bobby V in charge, I do feel it's going to be a true mystery how the team performs. I'm not convinced the team is playoff-bound for 2012. Not saying it won't happen, am saying it's likely the team will not pan out. 

If we don't get another solid starter, I wouldn't bet on us making the playoffs either.

And, yes, you do have a brighter outlook forecast than I do.

I see lots of questions, but I also see many possible pluses over 2011.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I have to admit to always having a brighter outlook than the Sox have warranted the last 3 seasons.  But that still doesn't mean that they won't live up to my expectations this year.  Like moon, I see the RF situation as improved and cannot imagine CC doing anything more than getting better, since 2011 was simply his worst year ever.

I thought the Sox had a lot of starting pitching last off-season and a lot of questions in the bullpen.  Oops.

But this off-season Ben C has brought in enough young arms and arms with experience but questions that the bullpen and rotation have a lot of questions, and a lot of flexibility. It is frustrating as a fan, not knowing. But then, roles were much more defined last year and I thought I knew a lot about what to expect. NOT. So, I am optimistic that the flexibility will return good results.  Who stays and who goes, and how they deal with all of the out of options guys is their headache, not mine. But they will have plenty of options and guys to fall back on. In that regard, the current roster is better off than last season as well. 

Can't say I am as confident in making a prediction as I was in 2011 or 2010, but this team ought to win more games than last year's just by virtue of not having a historic collapse in September (the odds of the Sox breaking their own record in that regard are about the same as the odds that the Mayans were predicting the end of creation by ending their calendar in 2012). And if the Sox were a plausible 100 win team last year, as many surmised, then they ought to be about as plausible a 100 win team this year, by virtue of having as good or better offense, as good or better defense, and pitching that likely outperforms last season's as long as they suffer the normal amount of injuries.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I have to admit to always having a brighter outlook than the Sox have warranted the last 3 seasons.  But that still doesn't mean that they won't live up to my expectations this year.  Like moon, I see the RF situation as improved and cannot imagine CC doing anything more than getting better, since 2011 was simply his worst year ever.

Before the '75 season, I thought we'd compete in '76 or '77. I didn't feel any different about '86 than '85. 2004 surprised me. It seems we do good when I don't think too highly, and worse when I like our chances. 

I try to be objective, but know I am more optimist than it usually warrants.

I thought the Sox had a lot of starting pitching last off-season and a lot of questions in the bullpen.  Oops.

I liked our starters too, but knew we were thin after Wake (6th starter).

But this off-season Ben C has brought in enough young arms and arms with experience but questions that the bullpen and rotation have a lot of questions, and a lot of flexibility. It is frustrating as a fan, not knowing. But then, roles were much more defined last year and I thought I knew a lot about what to expect. NOT. So, I am optimistic that the flexibility will return good results.  Who stays and who goes, and how they deal with all of the out of options guys is their headache, not mine. But they will have plenty of options and guys to fall back on. In that regard, the current roster is better off than last season as well.  

I almost always think we need one more solid pitcher before every year, but this year, I think it is crucial. (Actually, 2 would be nice). I really want to see Bard and Aceves in the pen, but that only will happen if we have 5 healthy and solid, performing pitchers.

Can't say I am as confident in making a prediction as I was in 2011 or 2010, but this team ought to win more games than last year's just by virtue of not having a historic collapse in September (the odds of the Sox breaking their own record in that regard are about the same as the odds that the Mayans were predicting the end of creation by ending their calendar in 2012). 

I agree, and I also think that not being the favorites will help us not get off to such a slow start either. 

And if the Sox were a plausible 100 win team last year, as many surmised, then they ought to be about as plausible a 100 win team this year, by virtue of having as good or better offense, as good or better defense, and pitching that likely outperforms last season's as long as they suffer the normal amount of injuries.

I know we have enough questions and problems that we could have a bad year, but on paper I am feeling good about this year.

RF will be a huge plus.
    LF will be a plus.
    A L-R catcher platoon and a maturing Salty could lead to gains there.
    SS will be better overall... yes, better.
    3B and a healthy Youk will be a plus.
    AGon is going to explode.
    Ells and Papi may decline, but not by much.
    Pedey is Pedey.

Addition by subtraction with Lackey, Weiland and others.
    Bailey and Melancon give us twice the innings as Papelbon.
    Full year of Morales, Doubront, and Tazawa.
    Bard and Aceves give us more innings than 2011.

There is a lot to be excited about!

Just get us one more solid starter...two and I'm in La La Land.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

To me, we will be lucky to hit as well or score as well this coming year even though I agree that RF should be an improvement. And although I think Tazawa, Wilson, Doubront and yeah even Wakefield, Miller and one or 2 of the deep depth guys Cook, et al, could produce in the coming year I think we are basically throwing numbers at that problem rather than quality. We may have to try 6-7 guys to get anyone with consistency out of that bunch and none of them might make the cut overall. Yes, it's that bad IMO. My best bets are Doubront and Tazawa.

Bard was not that great a starter in college or in the low minors. He does't have a lot of variety in his throwing options. All of us have been enamored with his velocity and hopefully that will suffice with a decent slider to accompany it. Who knows, he might be great? It's certainly possible. If he has control, which probably improves a little with more work. It could happen. It's just very tough to rely on. I sure hope he takes conditioning seriously this off season.

Aceves was supposedly not re signed by the Yanks as he was projected to have probable arm troubles. Is giving him more work a good idea with that in mind?

If we can put together a top 5 rotation we're probably in the playoffs for sure. We are going to have to hit on all cylinders to probably do that and no one gets to tank like Lackey did last year. We might well have a tremendous #1 - 4. The 5th guy is going to be a challenge and #4 might be difficult as well. We will see. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I thought Aceves was let go by the Yanks over issues of motivation, not arm trouble.

I'm more worried about Bailey's arm.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I:
    [QUOTE]I thought Aceves was let go by the Yanks over issues of motivation, not arm trouble. I'm more worried about Bailey's arm.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I think Aceves's health issues were with his back, and the Yankees were concerned about that and also that he wasn't doing the rehab/conditioning they wanted him to do to get on the field again. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : I think Aceves's health issues were with his back, and the Yankees were concerned about that and also that he wasn't doing the rehab/conditioning they wanted him to do to get on the field again. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

True, and maybe I read too much into their reason for not keeping him aboard, but I still feel they were more concerned with his motivation issues than his back.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

His clavicle was broken in his shoulder and he had back issues before that. Several screws were placed in his shoulder to piece the bone together. That doesn't indicate big potential problems with his shoulder going forward though. From looking at the details I think for the most part your points are more salient guys. I remember someone commenting on the desire to not give him too much work last spring because of his shoulder. Ercerpt of a news report:

"It was a suprise that Aceves, 28 in less than a week, was expected to be a part of the Yankees bullpen in 2011. He did just have surgery to repair a broken clavicle which should take a full three months to recover from. That means he could potentially start his rehab by spring training, but even still he might not be ready until May or later. So the Yankees have probably non-tendered him so they don’t have to eat up a spot on the roster. Hopefully they’ll try to re-sign him to a minor" ...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

The important point is that the clavicle issue should not be a big factor now so you are right in that he is very likely to be healthy enough to start this coming year without the likelihood of arm issues.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Aceves might do very well as a starter, but I just hate the idea of messing with success. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Aceves has had very little chances to start in MLB and get into a rhythm, so it's hard to judge him too harshly over the big differential in starting vs relieving stats, but we do know he is a great middle/long reliever.  It's hard to find a guy like him, and we will need one this year maybe even more than last year, since we  know Bard isn't going to be going 7-8 innings much.

I'd love to be able to keep both Bard and Aceves in the pen, but with what we have for starters right now, chances are 1 will be in the rotation in April. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]I think Aceves might do very well as a starter, but I just hate the idea of messing with success. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Aceves has had very little chances to start in MLB and get into a rhythm, so it's hard to judge him too harshly over the big differential in starting vs relieving stats, but we do know he is a great middle/long reliever.  It's hard to find a guy like him, and we will need one this year maybe even more than last year, since we  know Bard isn't going to be going 7-8 innings much. I'd love to be able to keep both Bard and Aceves in the pen, but with what we have for starters right now, chances are 1 will be in the rotation in April. 
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Aceves serves a very valuable role as middle, long reliever. No one was better at that on any other team than AA last year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I : Exactly. Aceves serves a very valuable role as middle, long reliever. No one was better at that on any other team than AA last year.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

I see more risk in changing his role. If he fails, changing him back might not work out either.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Some interesting late January and later past Sox deals.

200#:
    1/22/3: Signed Papi 
    2/15/3: Purchased Kevin Millar
    2/20/4: Signed Frank Castillo
    3/29/5: Traded de la Cruz & Ool for Mike Myers
    1/18/6: Signed Julian Tavarez
    1/27/6: Traded Marte, Mota & Shoppach for Crisp, Riske & J. Bard
    2/4/6: Signed Craig Breslow
    2/6/6: Signed Alex Gonzalez
    3/20/6: Traded Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena
    3/28/6: Selected Tony Graffanino off waivers
    2/14/7: Signed JD Drew
    1/28/8: Traded Socolovich & W Mota for David Aardsma
    2/1/8: Signed Sean Casey
    2/8/8: Signed Bobby Kielty
    2/24/8: Signed Bartolo Colon
    2/6/9: Signed Varitek
    3/25-26/10: Signed Alan Embree & Brian Shouse
    2/8/11: Signed Aceves

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

[QUOTE]His clavicle was broken in his shoulder and he had back issues before that. Several screws were placed in his shoulder to piece the bone together. That doesn't indicate big potential problems with his shoulder going forward though. From looking at the details I think for the most part your points are more salient guys. I remember someone commenting on the desire to not give him too much work last spring because of his shoulder. Ercerpt of a news report: "It was a suprise that Aceves, 28 in less than a week, was expected to be a part of the Yankees bullpen in 2011. He did just have surgery to repair a broken clavicle which should take a full three months to recover from. That means he could potentially start his rehab by spring training, but even still he might not be ready until May or later. So the Yankees have probably non-tendered him so they don’t have to eat up a spot on the roster. Hopefully they’ll try to re-sign him to a minor" ...
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the nice article clip, Boom.

Man, the Yankees really dropped the ball on that one....lucky us.

Aceves kind of reminds me of Tavarez...pitch me anytime, anywhere, really competative and I love the perspiration dripping off his hat.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

This 'compensation' issue with the Cubs is really beginning to bother me.

I have no idea why Henry and the boys didn't talk of SPECIFIC compensation before authorization was given for the Cubs to negotiate with Epstein.  It's beginning to feel like the Cubs(Epstein) are giving us the shaft.

Not knowing the final relationship between the Sox and Epstein, I hate to pass judgement.  Yet, the whole current scenario has a fishy odor to it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Honestly compensation should never have been part of the equation, and it sets a bad trend going forward; especially seeing as where the Cubs/Red Sox look like a bunch of Left/Right politicians on the Senate floor unable to come to simple terms for the health of their respective teams and the league.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think this is such a minor issue, and that it is only being discussed so much, because there's nothing else going on.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Looks like the Twins will end up with Mauer at first base in the next season or two. He might averge 30 doubles, 15 homers, and and drive in 80 runs and all for a measley $20 million plus.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't get why teams overpay for 1Bmen. There is so little disparity between the #5 1Bman and the number #15 1Bman. I can understand why MN paid big for mauer. He looked to be a head above all other catchers, and the catching position has a huge disparity between the top 5 hitting and the mid or lower 5.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

I'm sure once ST starts we'll have some daily items to discuss.  Right now we seem a little stagnant.  I'm going to pop a couple of questions that might incite some comments.

--Should we expect any problems in ST?  I think there is a potential for problems in three areas, meshing of the new coaches, who steps up at SS, and of course pitching.  Players should be trying to erase memories of last year and show they are ready for the challenge, but if there are players who feel "entitled", we may find out pretty quickly.  I'm not sure Beckett doesn't feel HE should make decisions about his approach.  I'm worried about the old pros at SS, not that they can't do the job but that they might be more vulnerable to injury as full timers.  The young kid might be overwhelmed at this level once the season starts.  Finally, if there is no diamond in the dross, we might be hurting for pitching.  How is the pitching staff going to react to Bi-Valve and the new pitching coach?

--Should we expect any surprises in ST?  It seems like you get more surprises when you have unknowns on your roster, and our pitching is a black hole, so I expect there could be a refreshing surprise or two--I'm hoping.  Some of us keep mentioning the Taz or Doubie--but it could be someone else.  I have a feeling that at least one of our younger guys is going "to find himself" as it's about that time.  Back in the 60"s they used to say a pitcher had to work in the minors for six years before he was ready.  Aceves came out of nowhere for us last year so it can happen.  Maybe one of the "has beens" will find a fountain of youth.  And in another area CC, Salty, and Youk have room to improve, maybe one in a big way.  Finally, the kid SS might blow us all away as Pedey did after he was up for a while.

Any unexpected help?  OK, I'm breaking my own rule.  I have urged us not to think about Dice-K as I thought it would be a mistake to count on him and then have him disappoint.  However, two issues have presented themselves: one, we appear to have a whole lot of nothing as back up pitchers and evidently Dice-K has already started throwing.  Add to it that BV has history with Japanese players--does this lead to some reason for optimism?

And for my bonus comment: if I were the commissioner, I would tell the Cubs to give us their #1 A pitcher or their #2 AA pitcher or their #3 AAA pitcher (or substitute "pitcher" for "right handed power hitting outfielder."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

--Should we expect any problems in ST?  I think there is a potential for problems in three areas, meshing of the new coaches, who steps up at SS, and of course pitching.  Players should be trying to erase memories of last year and show they are ready for the challenge, but if there are players who feel "entitled", we may find out pretty quickly.  I'm not sure Beckett doesn't feel HE should make decisions about his approach.  I'm worried about the old pros at SS, not that they can't do the job but that they might be more vulnerable to injury as full timers.  The young kid might be overwhelmed at this level once the season starts.  Finally, if there is no diamond in the dross, we might be hurting for pitching.  How is the pitching staff going to react to Bi-Valve and the new pitching coach? 

I am worried about injuries. If we could have a surprisingly injury-free season, I think we can match up with anyone. I'm not worried about injury at SS as much as I have been over recent years (Scoot & Jed). I worry most about Bailey's health, Buch's back, Beckett's condition, and Youk.

--Should we expect any surprises in ST?  It seems like you get more surprises when you have unknowns on your roster, and our pitching is a black hole, so I expect there could be a refreshing surprise or two--I'm hoping.  Some of us keep mentioning the Taz or Doubie--but it could be someone else.  I have a feeling that at least one of our younger guys is going "to find himself" as it's about that time.  Back in the 60"s they used to say a pitcher had to work in the minors for six years before he was ready.  Aceves came out of nowhere for us last year so it can happen.  Maybe one of the "has beens" will find a fountain of youth.  And in another area CC, Salty, and Youk have room to improve, maybe one in a big way.  Finally, the kid SS might blow us all away as Pedey did after he was up for a while.

I am almost certain someone will pleasantly surprise us this ST and season... maybe even 2-3. We have a lot of pitchers who have potential or have shown skills in the past all shooting for 1-2 slots. My choices for players who might work their way to a 25 man slot or a more meaningful role than expected:
    1) Iggy
    2) Lava
    3) Doubront
    4) Tazawa
    5) Aviles
    6) Cook, Silva, Padilla, Miller...

Any unexpected help?  OK, I'm breaking my own rule.  I have urged us not to think about Dice-K as I thought it would be a mistake to count on him and then have him disappoint.  However, two issues have presented themselves: one, we appear to have a whole lot of nothing as back up pitchers and evidently Dice-K has already started throwing.  Add to it that BV has history with Japanese players--does this lead to some reason for optimism?

I think the BV-Japan connection is over-rated. Dice-K is a darn good pitcher when healthy. If he regains his health, I'm not the least bit worried about his attitude or dedication to do his best. 

Mid-season helpful hopefuls:
    1) Dice-K
    2) (see above: Iggy, Lava, Taz...)
    3) Middlebrooks

And for my bonus comment: if I were the commissioner, I would tell the Cubs to give us their #1 A pitcher or their #2 AA pitcher or their #3 AAA pitcher (or substitute "pitcher" for "right handed power hitting outfielder."

I'd be thrilled if they just took Jenks and called it even.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

I agree that we will see a few surprises. My list includes Alex Hassan who has shown great plate discipline and is a solid OF prospect. I would also add Hill to the to the mid-season list with Hassan.

At this point I hope we get a good prospect from the Cubs, sending them Jenks only works if the Sox use the money saved to improve the team (hopefully before July).