A Realistic look at 2012: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I

Was Hill the pitcher who was doing so well last year before he injured his arm?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yup, something like 9 IP  0 ERs

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

When Hill got injured, that's when I knew we were cursed.

Argh.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When Hill got injured, that's when softy bashed him and the signing. I think that was the beginning of his Oh-for-197 streak.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Boom, my friend, where are you?  I'm a little worried about you lately.  You seem to come in for a quick strike and then out quickly.  You also seem pretty negative.  I'm not trying to get you to change "what you believe" but you sound like someone who's been working too much.  You got to stop and smell the coffee sometimes you know...we got some problems but a lot of teams would love to have our problems.  Come back to us Boom.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree Crit. We have basically the same team as last year, and basically only lost one good player: Paps. 
    Scoot was a good hitting SS, but that was balanced by his poor fielding.

We gained:
    Bailey
    Melancon
    Ross
    Sweeney
    Shoppach
    Punto
    Project pitching depth that can't be any worse than Weiland & Miller.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

On the eve of the year that Tim Wastefield's welfare contract will most likely not be renewed, despite the begging, it would be most fitting to see this lame thread and it's constantly bumping author join Wastefield on the pasture of irrelevance.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I:
    On the eve of the year that Tim Wastefield's welfare contract will most likely not be renewed, despite the begging, it would be most fitting to see this lame thread and it's constantly bumping author join Wastefield on the pasture of irrelevance.  
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

Spoken like a man who has no purpose in life except to demean, disrespect and otherwise annoy! And at three o'clock in the morning no less!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Thanks Crit! I don't mean to be so negative. I'm looking for something positive to say! Look at how badly we needed pitching depth last year and look what we did about it? It's not pretty. If one of Beckett, Lester or Buchholz go down over any extended period the season is over. And right now we have diddley for #4 and 5 as we speak. Bard is potentially great. But he has never indicated starter level success.  Let's hope he works out. Then let's pray on that as well.

People coming back from TJ surgery usually have control problems. We can't count on Matsuzaka. He is a pitcher who absolutely needs his control. 

Heh, I'm in feeling Lucky mode! Ya gotta believe! We are the new Mets! ( I'm just trying to be funny here OK, not a specific comparison! ).

I don't think they really expected Ortiz to take arb. Or they did expect someone like Ozwalt to bite on $5 mil. You know what...Ortiz may even win arb at over $16 mil. The new CBA does reward fan appeal in arb now. It could happen. That would really put us over. It would be a major surprise for everyone but it is certainly possible. Who has more fan appeal than Ortiz? Is that not worth $4 mil?

To go into the year with this pitching situation is not good. We may still end up with Wakefield on the roster ( heh...it's possible given the situation ) and this guy also might end up being a big factor on this team ( Clay Mortensen ):

Wild prediction. I think we will be surprised at who we obtain from the Commisioners office. He's an owner. GM talent under contract has significnat value. I think there will be a new precedent set for that value, especially since Epstein also took someone else with him didn't he. We might get the equivalent of a first round pick in value back.

I'm not even watching the Pats tomorrow. Too many projects in motion. I have to prioritize my life, as do we all.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I want to be clear on one thing. I think Bard probably becomes a decent #4, epecially if they limit his innings some. I just think it's risky and I'd rather have more depth. We are going to need guys like Doubront, Wilson and Mortensen to contribute this year and they all look just slightly better than Wieland at this point in their careers. I'm not counting on Silva, cook...etc.

We are in the AL East. We are not the Padres where they can throw a Wieland type out there and get a sub 4.00 ERA out of him. Our pitching depth guys are probably going to get pounded. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

When Hill got injured, that's when softy bashed him and the signing. I think that was the beginning of his Oh-for-197 streak.
    Posted by moonslav59

I thought the signing was fine. But I disagree wtih softy on just about everything anyway.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I have high hopes for Bard but something tells me he is going to get hammered regularly. I have no idea how anyone can hit his 98mph heater but they do. I guess it lacks the dreaded "movement"  Iggy better be the real deal at SS to get rid of our gutsiest player (sorry Pedroia) the past two seasons. If we win 90 in this monster league it would be a feat - but no playoffs for us without another solid starting pitcher.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Posted by hankwilliamsjr

Teams are holding out on signing Wakefield because they know that 15 game difference will put them over the top! Soon his agent will be putting out a statement saying that Hostess cupcakes deserves to see Wake get a contract to keep their business in the black.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

I am curious to see how the RF platooning turns out.  Ross and Sweeney sound very promising, IMO, if they stay healthy.

Odds are excellent it will be better than last year's output at that position, too.

Something tells me that Bard will be the #4 starter and Wakefield will be the #5 until the trade deadline, and then we cut a deal for someone.

This assumes that Wakefield will be given a minor league contract and an invite to ST, then play his way onto the club.  Which I think will happen.

Not getting Oswalt or Jackson does not upset me too much.

I am far more concerned about what some of the other teams in the AL East have added. It is possible that, with a third place finish, the Red Sox would get the second WC slot - the one-game play-in swindle, a concept that I detest because it so blatantly creates aand exploits a false and unfair sense of sudden-death.

I wish no death, sudden or otherwise, on any organism or thing. But this second WC concept - well, i am willing to make an exception there.

But I digress.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic look at 2012: Part I:
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

Spoken like a man who has no purpose in life except to demean, disrespect and otherwise annoy! And at three o'clock in the morning no less!

Well, when he's OH for 197, it's easy to understand why he is clinging to his Wake bashing mantra in hopes his streak ends with Wake not being signed to a ML contract.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I honestly think Cook is likelier the 5th starter, rather than Wake.  And those who know me know that I think Wake was better than Weiland or Miller.  Cook is supposed to be healthy again, and he can provide innings and consistency, something Wake has not been able to do for several years now. 

But I would still sign Harden on a minor league contract and bring him to spring training, too.  I just have no confidence in Silva or Padilla, and think the Sox need at least one more guy vying for the 5th and 6th starter slots, especially since Oswalt and Floyd do not look like they are coming prior to ST.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I hope the Sox get Floyd, but I'm not thrilled about Oswalt. 
    I really was thinking how tough our pen could be with Bard and Aceves both still there, but that would take 2 prayers to be answered (assuming we don't get another starter).

We'd need 2 of these guys to step it up big time in ST:
    Dice-K (June/July?)
    Cook
    Silva
    Padilla
    Doubront
    Tazawa (Pen?)
    Maine
    Pena
    Haeger
    Mathis
    Alex Wilson
    Balcom-Miller

I guess with 10 longshots, two could hit the mark, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'd much rather get Floyd and have these 10 guys fighting for one slot.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Teams are holding out on signing Wakefield because they know that 15 game difference will put them over the top! Soon his agent will be putting out a statement saying that Hostess cupcakes deserves to see Wake get a contract to keep their business in the black.

Well said, and a breath of fresh air on a clueless thread that just keeps getting bumped by the poster who was born with a giant chip on his shoulder. Still waiting on his last favorite, Hermida, to blossom along with Wastefield.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...I am far more concerned about what some of the other teams in the AL East have added...

I share your concern. I think the Rays will be better as their pitchers mature, Jennings plays a full year, and Longoria returns to form. The Yanks appear to have improved, but they still have some questions and some aging players in key positions.

I do think we have improved on paper from last year, but some big questions still remain. Getting a solid quality starter (I'm not sure Oswalt fits that role) would bring us a lot closer to being clearly better than 2011.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Hey Boom, watch the game.  It's Sunday afternoon.  The work will be there on Monday.  A little R&R is good.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Boom will be fine after we get Floyd.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Getting a solid quality starter (I'm not sure Oswalt fits that role) would bring us a lot closer to being clearly better than 2011.

Agreed. I don't think Oswalt is worth that kind of money. Mr. Oswalt disagrees, I betcha.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Even $5M is too much.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Even $5M is too much.
    Posted by moonslav59

$5 million too much for Oswalt?  Obviously that would depend on your projections of his numbers for 2012, which would be difficult considering our lack of knowledge of his health status, and also what moving to the AL East would do to him. 

The $5 million would actually be $7 million if we're over the LT threshold and paying 40% tax.

Sections
Shortcuts