A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II : Indeed. Bobby is certainly no where near as good a communicator as Tito. He pretty much is a disaster (or a joy if you are the media) when it comes to being the front guy for the franchise. Whether it is this latest comment, how BV handled Beckett's exploration of his thumb or the absolute silliness of doing a weekly spot with Michael Kay and his defensive reaction to questions about it BV pails in comparison at the dealing with the media. Maybe he wil figure it out but I tend to doubt it. And it is telling when Pedroia comes out and takes a position so quickly. This is will be entertaining talk radio all year. 
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Not a chance, a leopard doesn't change his spots.

bubby v is a egomaniacal blowhard who likes to hear himself talk. Always has been always will be. No reason to expect him to "figure it out" at this point in his life. Just ask his wife.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Not a chance, a leopard doesn't change his spots.

bubby v is a egomaniacal blowhard who likes to hear himself talk. Always has been always will be. No reason to expect him to "figure it out" at this point in his life. Just ask his wife.

Could we ask your wife the same thing?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Don't you mean ex-wives? ouch!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

You guys are tough, but appropriately so!

If you didn't respond to that clown I would never see his posts at all.

I don't think BV meant anything bad in his comments about Youk. I don't think he intended anything bad. It just was misinterpreted. It wasn't that big a deal. These guys are just used to nothing being said about them in the press except good things. BV needs to get with the program!

I thought what he said about Lin was much worse. He basically said this guy just can't hit well enough to help us. He was out of there in 1 day. Why bring him up them? He tried to explain it and just got in more trouble. He needs to just shut up sometimes. Tito was a master at that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

Listen...Things could be worse...Bobby V. was not found in Cartagena, Colombia with the Secret Service while they were busy making that country safe for our fearless leader....So let's count the positives.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Don't you mean ex-wives? ouch!
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I almost said that!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]Not a chance, a leopard doesn't change his spots. bubby v is a egomaniacal blowhard who likes to hear himself talk. Always has been always will be. No reason to expect him to "figure it out" at this point in his life. Just ask his wife. Could we ask your wife the same thing?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Nope, I am smart enough to stay single.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II : Nope, I am smart enough to stay single.
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

You do realize this is a special thread, a thread about baseball. I don't post here often as I am wise enough to only participate when I really want to make a baseball point.... you on the other hand want to drag your sewer antics into the last pristine wetland.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II : You do realize this is a special thread, a thread about baseball. I don't post here often as I am wise enough to only participate when I really want to make a baseball point.... you on the other hand want to drag your sewer antics into the last pristine wetland.
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]

Well, my previous post was about bubby v and his loud mouth and how it relates to the sawx. So it was baseball related until moonpie decided to try and make it personal.

Maybe you should bring up your problem with him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Everyone knows if you want 100% stats, civility, and baseball talk you can post here.... already even typing this I am aware it is beneath the "idea" of this thread and the posters that frequent here... why not stay out of it if you can't stay within those guidelines...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]Everyone knows if you want 100% stats, civility, and baseball talk you can post here.... already even typing this I am aware it is beneath the "idea" of this thread and the posters that frequent here... why not stay out of it if you can't stay within those guidelines? Heck even harness barely posted in this thread,...
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]

What part of my above post did you not understand?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II : Indeed. Bobby is certainly no where near as good a communicator as Tito. He pretty much is a disaster (or a joy if you are the media) when it comes to being the front guy for the franchise. Whether it is this latest comment, how BV handled Beckett's exploration of his thumb or the absolute silliness of doing a weekly spot with Michael Kay and his defensive reaction to questions about it BV pails in comparison at the dealing with the media. Maybe he wil figure it out but I tend to doubt it. And it is telling when Pedroia comes out and takes a position so quickly. This is will be entertaining talk radio all year. 
    Was "pails" a slip? Do you think that Valentine should be consigned to a bucket? 
    Pedey was off-base telling the new manager, in effect, that the rules, or lack of them, practiced by the old regime should still be in force. After last September, the players on this club should keep quiet and play ball. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II : Was "pails" a slip? Do you think that Valentine should be consigned to a bucket?  Pedey was off-base telling the new manager, in effect, that the rules, or lack of them, practiced by the old regime should still be in force. After last September, the players on this club should keep quiet and play ball. 
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I can't say that I am unhappy with the way this is all unfolding.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II : So you are on both sides of the issue but are happy about the media circus. Yesterday he were on the side of Pedroia and Youk. In reality, you just enjoy debate and disharmony. Sounds like the soul of a troll.
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

Not at all. You are really delusional.

I think bubby v was wrong for calling youk out in the media and I think pedey is wrong for telling his boss how "things are done around here", when "how things are done around here" contributed to the greatest collapse in baseball history. I don't fault pedey for having youk's back, just the way he did it.

But, yes, I do enjoy disharmony in the sawx clubhouse.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II : Not at all. You are really delusional. I think bubby v was wrong for calling youk out in the media and I think pedey is wrong for telling his boss how "things are done around here", when "how things are done around here" contributed to the greatest collapse in baseball history. I don't fault pedey for having youk's back, just the way he did it. But, yes, I do enjoy disharmony in the sawx clubhouse.
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]Have you always been this much of a jerk or did you have to go to school for it?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Back to baseball guys!

(I know, I got off track too.)

Here's the 10 game small sample size sampling:

OBP:
    Shopp  .500
    Papi     .455
    Sween .419
    Pedey  .370
    CRoss  .359
    Punto   .357
    (3 of the top 5 are from the bench)

Slg%:
    Papi  .641
    Shop .571
    Swee .536
    Ross  .515
    Pede .512
    Aviles .486

ERA
    Morales 0.00
    Padilla   1.50
    Atch       1.93
    Lester    2.40
    Bowden 3.00
    Bard       4.63

WHIP
    Morales  0.643
    Padilla    0.833
    Lester    0.933
    Bowden 1.000
    Atch       1.071
    Beck       1.105

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Back to baseball guys! (I know, I got off track too.) Here's the 10 game small sample size sampling: OBP: Shopp  .500 Papi     .455 Sween .419 Pedey  .370 CRoss  .359 Punto   .357 (3 of the top 5 are from the bench) Slg%: Papi  .641 Shop .571 Swee .536 Ross  .515 Pede .512 Aviles .486 ERA Morales 0.00 Padilla   1.50 Atch       1.93 Lester    2.40 Bowden 3.00 Bard       4.63 WHIP Morales  0.643 Padilla    0.833 Lester    0.933 Bowden 1.000 Atch       1.071 Beck       1.105
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]Papi is just crushing right now isn't he? The stats also confirm my suspicion that Gonzo hasn't really found his stroke yet. Also I'm not surprised to see Atch among the pitching leaders, as he doesn't seem to throw much that doesn't find the strike zone. Bowden's position among the pitching leaders makes his dfa all the more puzzling to me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bowden's position among the pitching leaders makes his dfa all the more puzzling to me.

His was an extra small sample size, but I hear ya.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II : Was "pails" a slip? Do you think that Valentine should be consigned to a bucket?  Pedey was off-base telling the new manager, in effect, that the rules, or lack of them, practiced by the old regime should still be in force. After last September, the players on this club should keep quiet and play ball. 
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]You have a point that in an ideal world, Pedey doesn't say a word.

Just the same, even if he keeps his mouth shut, that is the way he feels. And when your "spark plug - leader" feels that way, I personally don't think that is a good outcome. And Pedey isn't all wrong. Valentine chose his words poorly at best.

Belichick who to many is the gold standard of tough manager/coach in this town does not about his players in the media, no matter how much he is pizzed at them. Trade them for a bag rocks (Moss), cut them at the end of the year like Thomas, yes. Question their commitment in the media, never.

Whatever was wrong in that clubhouse in 2011 IMHO, should be handled in that clubhouse not on the 25 different media spots that BV has cut deals with.

The answer to the question IMHO was "Kevin is struggling with his game right now a little but we are working on it." If BV believes Youk is either physically not into it or mentally not into it, that conversation takes place in the manager's office. Nothing good comes out of making it public and if the RS wanted to dump Youk, it could only hurt.

When Pedey said, "we don't roll that way here" I take that as meaning we don't feed the media here. Not a bad idea in a market like Boston.

But Ex you are right that two wrongs don't make a right. Better for Pedey to say, "first I have heard of that and as a teammate I don't question Youk's commitment and never have."

Personally I don't think the answer to fixing what happened last September was more media drama, it was better pitching and right now it looks like they got more drama in BV and the pitching isn't really better. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II : You have a point that in an ideal world, Pedey doesn't say a word. Just the same, even if he keeps his mouth shut, that is the way he feels. And when your "spark plug - leader" feels that way, I personally don't think that is a good outcome. And Pedey isn't all wrong. Valentine chose his words poorly at best. Belichick who to many is the gold standard of tough manager/coach in this town does not about his players in the media, no matter how much he is pizzed at them. Trade them for a bag rocks (Moss), cut them at the end of the year like Thomas, yes. Question their commitment in the media, never. Whatever was wrong in that clubhouse in 2011 IMHO, should be handled in that clubhouse not on the 25 different media spots that BV has cut deals with. The answer to the question IMHO was "Kevin is struggling with his game right now a little but we are working on it." If BV believes Youk is either physically not into it or mentally not into it, that conversation takes place in the manager's office. Nothing good comes out of making it public and if the RS wanted to dump Youk, it could only hurt. When Pedey said, "we don't roll that way here" I take that as meaning we don't feed the media here. Not a bad idea in a market like Boston. But Ex you are right that two wrongs don't make a right. Better for Pedey to say, "first I have heard of that and as a teammate I don't question Youk's commitment and never have." Personally I don't think the answer to fixing what happened last September was more media drama, it was better pitching and right now it looks like they got more drama in BV and the pitching isn't really better. 
    Valentine was wrong to nick Youkilis, and  then should have stuck with his remarks instead of trying to spin them.
    If Pedey meant "we don't blab to the media," he has a short memory. Not just Youkilis but also management and, yes, Terry raised questions about Ellsbury. It is also naive to think that there have been no uncredited leaks from the Boston club house. Ask Curt. Or no playing to the media during the Francona years? Try Ortiz.
    Pedey's "we" seems not to refer to the entire team. By far. His reference to Japan was snarky. IMO, his mistake was bigger than Valentine's. He needs to get into the present tense. There is a new regime, for better or for worse. 
    The pitching is no better than it was in September? All of the starters looked good the second time through the rotation. If Lester and Beckett had pitches like that in September, Boston makes the playoffs. Doubront looks better than all of the fill-ins the Sox used in September. So does Bard. I'd say the pitching looks very promising. But we'll see. Now the outfield....
    Pedey will play like the wind-up inimitable master toy that he has been, even if Molly Potts were the manager. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Come on, ex, get over yourself. Pedey's comments were a sign that someone gives a hoot in that dugout. I was starting to think there was no pulse.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Come on, ex, get over yourself. Pedey's comments were a sign that someone gives a hoot in that dugout. I was starting to think there was no pulse.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
    Gives a hoot that the old regime is not still present? Heck, if there is a pulse, maybe Valentine is priming it.
    Why address my comments personally as though they were any different from opinions across the board on this topic? Why, one might even suspect that your opener here is a residue of your losing an argument to me on the contact thread, where you butted into an argument between Roy and me and then demonstrated that you had not read correctly what Roy had said. 
    What IS your point here? That it was OK for Pedey to pop off? That it was OK to say exactly what he said?  That you will take anything said if it's a sign of a pulse?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Ex, I was surprised that Pedroia did not take a different road and I think the "maybe that worked in Japan" crack was a nasty one. As I said earlier Pedey should have said, "I have played with Youk since 2007 and I have never questioned his commitment mentally or physically to the game and still don't." Any follow up questions should have been " you'd have to ask Bobby or Youk about that."

OTOH, Valentine should not talk very much because frankly he is not very good at it. He is south of Ozzie Guillien on the inarticulate meter but way north of the majority of managers in the game today.

I really don't think BV means to create the speculation he does, whether it was the bizarre way he answered questions about Beckett's thumb or the comments about Youk.

But he just frames his comments so poorly in comparison to what Francona did or Julien does and because he is such a diva he can't take the brevity road that Belichick does.

Is everybody on edge? Yes. Players were outed for chicken and beer, for being too bossy or not giving a darn. The last manager had his use of prescription pain killers and a bad marriage aired in the media.

Seems to me it would be better for all if what happened in the clubhouse stayed in the clubhouse and if Bobby V watched some tapes of Bill belichick press conferences.

Amongst the reactions to last year's meltdown should have been to lock down the media like Patriots do, along with rules about conditioning, no beer in clubhouse, and just when a player can go to the clubhouse during games. That's my take any way.