A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II

5K, nice to see you here and as usual I liked your post above and thought it summed up the situation pretty well.  Hard to know if Bi-Valve nicked him on purpose or chose his words poorly.  I got a feeling he's just going to answer questions and worry about the fallout later.  Watching Youk this spring, I admit to thinking along those same lines even though-- as I keep saying--Youk is one of my favorite players.  I guess if I had my choice of "Oh he's not too smart to ignore the outcome of his comments" or "He tried to jab him a little" I'd prefer the latter.  Maybe, just maybe, BV wants people to be a little on their toes and not settling into ruts.  Maybe he takes a leader first and lets him know no one is exempt.  Just saying--maybe we need a little of that around here right now.  I know some might disagree-- but no one's been in a rut around here the last couple of years?  Drew?  Lowrie?  Bowden?  CC?  Maybe even Lester?  Wasn't he supposed to be a 20 game winner last year?  And like EX says, there are other sides to this--he's right when he says lots of people threw Ells under the bus last year.  As a matter of fact, Youk was still saying this year that injured players should be traveling with the team and not working out on their own.  In my mind that's an  organizational decision and Tito said several times last year he and the RS were fine with Ells not being with the team.  Anyway, I do agree with your take and how it "should' be handled, but right now I fall with letting BV have his head for a while and see what happens.  So far I like seeing Papi run down the line on an infield chop and hitting the opposite way when all the infielders are on the right side and I like seeing Doubie come in in shape and pitching great and...  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II:
    I point these things out to the forum and Chilliwings tells me that the forum already knows that Babe is a jerk. Color me patronizing, I guess, but finally Carnie has seen the light.
    Posted by Calzone65

I said no such thing, why do you persist in lying?  It just makes your weak points look even worse than they do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

I'm gonna give BV the benefit of the doubt here.  Let's say for the sake of argument that he really wasn't taking a shot at Youk and more just indicating Youk's not happy and not playing well.  Which is believable.  Youk is very intense and not happy when he's not hitting. 
    So BV says it, it gets blown up (of course), and now players (Pedey) start piping up about how "this is not the way we do things around here"..  Well guess what, that IS the way we do things now.  As much as some of us loved the guy, Tito is not walking through that door anytime soon.  So this is now the Bobby Valentine show, and the quicker the players get on board the better.  This team has the talent now, and when the injured folks start getting back it could be a huge lift.  Clubhouse dissension could destroy any chance of that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I'm gonna give BV the benefit of the doubt here.  Let's say for the sake of argument that he really wasn't taking a shot at Youk and more just indicating Youk's not happy and not playing well.  Which is believable.  Youk is very intense and not happy when he's not hitting.  So BV says it, it gets blown up (of course), and now players (Pedey) start piping up about how "this is not the way we do things around here"..  Well guess what, that IS the way we do things now.  As much as some of us loved the guy, Tito is not walking through that door anytime soon.  So this is now the Bobby Valentine show, and the quicker the players get on board the better.  This team has the talent now, and when the injured folks start getting back it could be a huge lift.  Clubhouse dissension could destroy any chance of that.
    Posted by angeroo
    You are right IMO, Valentine wasn't taking a shot at Youkilis, it was just his inartculate way of answering that things aren't right with him right now, which was obvious, the guy has not been sharp since ST.

But nobody in the room likes it when a player or a manager feeds the media beast and causes them to have 25 microphones in their face when hey get to work asking them about the comment.

Because it is Boston, this all gets overblown but because it is Boston, the manager needs to be more selective with what questions he answers and how he answers them.

Believe it or not, if Bobby Valentine losses the clubhouse the Boston Red Sox aren't going to blow up the team for Bobby. Right or wrong nobody you can replace Bobby V a lot faster than you can Dustin Pedroia. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox0489. Show bosox0489's posts

In Response to A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II:
    The roster is set. The season begins. Questions and concerns remain. Injuries have already begun... 60-day DL RHP John Lackey  RHP Bobby Jenks RHP Andrew Bailey  RHP Chris Carpenter OF Ryan Kalish 15-day DL OF Carl Crawford LHP Rich Hill RHP Daisuke Matsuzaka LHP Andrew Miller Not a good start to the season, but some on this list were known injury issues for quite some time. The loss of Bailey could be crucial since the pen was already a great concern after losing Paps to the Phillies and Bard to the rotation (at least for now). Some of us have had some differences over the 25 man roster choices, most notably the Iggy and Lava demotions, but there is a good chance both of those two will see significant time in Boston this year at some point.  Some have questioned the choice of a 13th pitcher to start the season. The choices have been made. Here's the opening day 25-man roster:   Pitchers (13):   RHP Alfredo Aceves, RHP Matt Albers, RHP Scott Atchison, RHP Daniel Bard, RHP Josh Beckett, RHP Michael Bowden, RHP Clay Buchholz, LHP Felix Doubront, LHP Jon Lester, RHP Mark Melancon, LHP Franklin Morales, RHP Vicente Padilla, LHP Justin Thomas. Catchers (2):  Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Kelly Shoppach Infielders (5):  Mike Aviles, Adrian Gonzalez, Dustin Pedroia, Nick Punto, Kevin Youkilis. Outfielders (4):  Jacoby Ellsbury, Darnell McDonald, Cody Ross, Ryan Sweeney. DHs (1):  David Ortiz.   The rotation will start like this: 1) Lester 2) Beckett 3) Buchholtz 4) Doubront (see statement after Bard) 5) Bard (perhaps until Dice-K returns or Cook is promoted) Closer: Aceves (until Bailey returns) Set-Up: Melancon (perhaps replaced by Bard later in the season) RP3) Morales  RP4) Albers RP5) Atchison RP6) Padilla RP7) Bowden (Out of options) RP8) Thomas (until Hill returns) There will be debates about the line-up. My guess is this is what Bobby will use as a template when CC is healthy. I expect Bobby to be more flexible than Tito.      vs RHPs     vs LHPs 1) L Ells          L Ells 2) R Pedey     R Pedey 3) L AGon       L AGon 4) L Ortiz        R Youk 5) R Youk       L Ortiz 6) L Craw       R Ross 7) S Salty       L Craw 8) L Sween*  L Shopp 9) R Aviles     R Aviles (*Ross may start vs many RHPs) While Crawford is out, I expect DMac will play LF vs LHPs and Ross will be in RF. Ross should play in LF vs RHPs with Sweeney in right. When Crawford comes back, I expect a pitcher to be sent to AAA and we will retain DMac as long as possible. I hope we can keep this thread mostly about the Red Sox and issues directly effecting the Sox. Let's keep it civil. Refrain from personal attacks, blatant misrepresentations of other posters' positions, and going off on unrelated tangents. The Sox are going to be a fun bunch to watch this year. I'm pumped up! Let the games begin.  Play Ball!
    Posted by moonslav59

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox0489. Show bosox0489's posts

for the love of god  this crap is three weeks old.

steve bosox 04  since  1946.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You mean the one in your shorts?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

bubby v is the gift that keeps on giving.

You guys haven't seen anything yet.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Gee, I never heard anything about this Bobby guy until now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How's ARod, Tex, Grandy, Hughes, Garcia and Martin doing?

(6 on my list of Yankee question marks that you said were not questionable. See how silly small sample size judgements are?)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Moon, that line above is the funniest one of the year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Well, today sure was ugly. I found myself wondering how Melancon ever saved 20 games last year. And Lester looked like the Lester of Aprils past. Hopefully Beckett brings his A game tomorrow and we can get this one behind us. Really I'm jyst bumping this thread up over the whiners and trolls. Is it just me or is this board going to the dogs? Between babe, mikey, softhead and pike I almost don't want to post here anymore.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

Try to ignore them carnie...I am really now as sick of mikey's and babe's antics as of pike's...I hate any kind of in your face bullying...What makes me laugh is that while mikey and babe are mercilessly mocking the Red Sox, they seem to be suggesting that the Yanks are that good...Our SP is mediocre, and while Jeter does seem to be enjoying a resurgence, A-Rod might not be getting any better...And who knows about Teixeira...This team has a lot to prove still....As far as I am concerned, the Yanks right now would have NO shot against Texas or the Tigers in the post-season...Whoopie...We might finish ahead of the injured Red Sox, but that might be all mikey and babe have to crow about come October...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Try to ignore them carnie...I am really now as sick of mikey's and babe's antics as of pike's...I hate any kind of in your face bullying...What makes me laugh is that while mikey and babe are mercilessly mocking the Red Sox, they seem to be suggesting that the Yanks are that good...Our SP is mediocre, and while Jeter does seem to be enjoying a resurgence, A-Rod might not be getting any better...And who knows about Teixeira...This team has a lot to prove still....As far as I am concerned, the Yanks right now would have NO shot against Texas or the Tigers in the post-season...Whoopie...We might finish ahead of the injured Red Sox, but that might be all mikey and babe have to crow about come October...
    Posted by teilhardian
    Thanks, there are a few here that keep me coming back. You're one of them Teil. What is it about baseball that makes people so bat #### crazy anyway? Although with pike I don't even think it's about baseball.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II : Thanks, there are a few here that keep me coming back. You're one of them Teil. What is it about baseball that makes people so bat #### crazy anyway? Although with pike I don't even think it's about baseball.
    Posted by carnie

With me it is part-baseball....The doggone unpredictability of each game...And the fact that one good athletically accomplished opposing pitcher can make a lousy team look brilliant on any given day...And for me it is also about all the times I had with my dad watching Yankee games at home and at the Stadium...Cannot separate it out...All my left-wing activism comes from him as well....But no matter how you slice it, I still love it more than any other sport...I am a big Liverpool fan because of my wife but it is rare that the plot of any particular football match could make for a juicy short-story...
         Anyway, carnie, I am sure you will not stop posting, no matter how tough a season the Red Sox and the Babe-Pikes make it...I would just hunt you down, monsieur and do the typing myself...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Looks like the Yankee troll was finally banned.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Posted by moonslav59
    Which one, Mikey or babe?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II : Which one, Mikey or babe?
    Posted by carnie

PBNFL or whatever it was. His posts are gone from here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

So here's a pretty interesting article I found on espn taking a detailed look at Big Papi's resurgence vs. lefthanders.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/18329/how-ortiz-turned-it-around-vs-lefties

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

So here's a pretty interesting article I found on espn taking a detailed look at Big Papi's resurgence vs. lefthanders. http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/18329/how-ortiz-turned-it-around-vs-lefties
    Posted by carnie
    Explain how your tag line is related to baseball on a board that you insist should be limited to baseball posts.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II : Explain how your tag line is related to baseball on a board that you insist should be limited to baseball posts.
    Posted by expitch
    Are you going to stop stalking me at some point or do I have to ignore you? I've had the same signature for 4 years, and now all of a sudden it's a big issue for you? Whatever, I'm not even going to wait for you to respond. I'll just ignore you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Posted by moonslav59

Yeah, he was moon. He was out of control last night, the sox game put him in overdrive. He was all over the game thread. Joel had asked another poster to stop giving Celtics updates, he was taping it to watch after the sox game, so needless to say, Babe added the scores to his posts. The mods monitor the game threads closely, due to the faster posting rate, so he was gone before games end. something good came out of it anyway;)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

He is here for one reason only, to make you feel as bad as u can about your team.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II : Are you going to stop stalking me at some point or do I have to ignore you? I've had the same signature for 4 years, and now all of a sudden it's a big issue for you? Whatever, I'm not even going to wait for you to respond. I'll just ignore you.
    Posted by carnie

It became a legitimate issue when you chided another poster for not sticking to baseball. Which way do you want it? All baseball, save when you insert your politics? Four years, four days, four minutes. Makes no difference. The contradiction stands.
    Stalking. Ho. You are also given to melodrama, with a little persecution complex thrown in. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II : Gives a hoot that the old regime is not still present? Heck, if there is a pulse, maybe Valentine is priming it. Why address my comments personally as though they were any different from opinions across the board on this topic? Why, one might even suspect that your opener here is a residue of your losing an argument to me on the contact thread, where you butted into an argument between Roy and me and then demonstrated that you had not read correctly what Roy had said.  What IS your point here? That it was OK for Pedey to pop off? That it was OK to say exactly what he said?  That you will take anything said if it's a sign of a pulse?
    Posted by expitch

I think my point is you're an obnoxious, elitist, think you know-it-all blowhard. But don't take that personally.

Sections
Shortcuts