A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II

Mea Culpa,  I was trying to talk about Pablo Sandoval and just found out he's on an 18 game hitting streak--oops!  He always hits great.  Sorry I was so far off,  but there is griping about his shape which has to be monitored.

OK Ex, here's a name from the past, Carlton Willey from my home state of Maine.
    He spent spent almost (7) years in the minors, once winning 21 games.  He was the NL rookie of the year in 1958.  He played with the Braves and Warren Spahn, most consider the best left-handed pitcher of all time.  Spahn had a spat with his manager because he wouldn't throw at Pee Wee Reese in a preseason game and got sent down to the minors for a while--soon to come back and win 363 games.  So yeah, the great ones came up quicly but not everyone else.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II:
    [QUOTE]Boom, good news!  I'm a Dem. too!  I assumed you were a Rep. because I thought you were a businessman.  Amp, bad news.  I'm not a Rep. but I'm not one to huff and puff about politics.  I am pretty close to what used to be called "Rockefeller Republican" or fiscally conservative but socially liberal. On baseball, Ex, you're right, it's pretty hard to believe in today's world and wiz kids always came up earlier.  But if you go look at some of the average pitchers in the Bigs in the 50's and 60's, they even looked older when they came up and spent a lot more time in the minors.  As to possible future trades, once again the Giants might be a possibility.  I don't know what they've got for upcoming third basemen, but there is intermittent frustration with Cabrera "The Panda."  Two years ago he was benched at the end of the year, went on a big diet over the summer and had a good year, this year came in overweight again and is off to a slow start so there is some rumbling about him.  Doesn't field well when he gets too fat.  Giants have lots of pitching in their system...
    Posted by Critter23[/QUOTE]
    I'm not sure what you mean by "looked older." Who are you talking about? In fact, absent a lot more data, I'd hesitate to accept your generalization at face value. In any event, where are you going with the point?
    There were, of course, more minor league classifications back in the 1950's. But like now and always, there was a need for pitching -- but fewer spots than now because there were only sixteen teams. The population was 150 million, now 300 million, with twice as many teams to stock.
    I think you're talking about Sandoval.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We're almost 1/9th of the way through the season, and here are some numbers:

Slg%
    Papi     .682
    Aviles  .594
    Sween .582
    Shopp   .571
    Ross     .567
    Pedey  .535
    AGon    .455
    Salty    .452

OBP
    Papi     .473
    Shopp  .462
    Sween .407
    Aviles  .358
    Pedey .355
    AGon   .347
    Ross    .328

(Red: not herelast April)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Papi has been incredible. If that could continue we might really have something. He's playing like an mvp. Go Papi!

I never saw that coming. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What I'd like to see most of all from Papi are those walk-off bombs 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Big game for Youk. Let's hope this is a sign of things to come.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Mea Culpa,  I was trying to talk about Pablo Sandoval and just found out he's on an 18 game hitting streak--oops!  He always hits great.  Sorry I was so far off,  but there is griping about his shape which has to be monitored. OK Ex, here's a name from the past, Carlton Willey from my home state of Maine. He spent spent almost (7) years in the minors, once winning 21 games.  He was the NL rookie of the year in 1958.  He played with the Braves and Warren Spahn, most consider the best left-handed pitcher of all time.  Spahn had a spat with his manager because he wouldn't throw at Pee Wee Reese in a preseason game and got sent down to the minors for a while--soon to come back and win 363 games.  So yeah, the great ones came up quicly but not everyone else.
    Posted by Critter23[/QUOTE]
    You've given me an example but not data. Looking it up would not be worth the time even if the information is available. Let it drop. I don't think there is any way that you can prove your point. You are reporting an impression.
    You said players looked "older" to you in the 50's and 60's but now look "younger." Are you sure this shift in perspective has nothing to do with the fact that in the 50's and 60's YOU were younger and are now older. People look older to us when we are young and younger to us when we are old. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

My feeling on Papi is that he'll be back. From what he's been saying the Sox have already been talking to him about a role in the organization when he's done playing and he's receptive to that idea. Also according to Gordon Edes on espn he offered to come back for 2 years at 12.5 per. David Ortiz is a Red Sox icon. No way can ownership let him play anywhere else. So Youk, especially if he's playing well, might be a trade deadline move.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

It made sense that Youk would come around. He should still put up decent numbers and that RH bat is real helpful in this lineup. We appear to be putting together some big offensive numbers this year as so many players are above projection. Sweeney, Papi, Aviles, Ross, ...etc. So far, we have replaced the numbers we are losing from Ellsbury. 

Pedroia gets hurt but fights through it today. The guy is showing huge leadership so far. A little overreaction on the BV statement but he is stepping up on the field.

The look on BV's face when Youk did well was insightful. He knows how important Youk can be in this lineup.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Bradley had 4 hits today down in Salem. So far he is hitting over .350 with an OBP close to .450. So far he sure looks for real. Dropping him right into Salem was something they haven't done recently with a lot of their college prospects, such as Brentz, Vitek...etc. Bradley is absolutely looking like a fast mover. He may be in AA ball before we know it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Ellsbury started out in high A and was promoted to AA ball at midyear. So far, Bradley is way ahead of the numbers Ellsbury put up in high A ball. It's still very early though. I bet Bradley is in AA ball relatively soon. He seems to be having no problem adjusting to A+ ball.

It's real nice to see some guys like Bradley, Bogaerts and Barnes just scream through the system. Usually we don't get access to that level of prospect.

It's also interesting to see Cechinni with 9 SB already. No one projected him as much of a base stealer. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]All the posts for trading Middlebrooks make sense except for benefit to the organization to save money.  This fact alone gave the team benefit with home-grown talent such as Ellsbury, Youkilis and Pedroia. I think they'll keep him, get a better look at his potential, then make a decision. Now, Lars Anderson is another story.  I say showcase the best we can and see what we can get. Crit, like me and millions of others, are card carrying members of the silent Republican majority....LOL I'm worried about Harness.  At one time we were supposed to meet up in Seattle.  It just didn't happen.  During that time, we exchanged some off BDC e-mails discussing a few things.  At that time, he gave me his real name.  I wish I still had the info to try and find what happened...or what is going on. There were a few health issues which he preferred to be kept confidential.    These, if stretched somewhat, could potentially have been the onset of more serious medical issues.  This, of course, is all conjecture. I sincerely hope all is well with him and he's just enjoying his winnings somewhere sunny and warm.
    Posted by ampoule[/QUOTE]

Heh, Amp! It's kind of sad but people probably die and just fade away here regularly and no one even knows what happened. Our virtual lives just get archived into nothingness.

I think harness is probably ok. I've thought of leaving and coming back under a different identity. Sometimes it's best to just start fresh. Lots of water under the bridge here for harness, and me, and many others. Also, I bet a lot of guys just start other hobbies, or go to other websites like SOSH ...etc. I like the guys over on soxprospects. They beat on me pretty regularly but overall most of them are funny and they have a lot of insight. 

My last kid is making his college decision next Monday. We are traveling in New England over the weekend. What am I going to do when he leaves the nest? I'll drive you guys crazy probably. He is penciled in for about 3 hours of every day so I'll have an extra 21 hours a week of new spare time. Watch out guys!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

The Washington Nationals pitching staff is on pace for an unbelievable season. Edwin Jackson's 3.16 ERA is the highest for their starters, everyone else is under 2.00! The entire staff has collectively allowed just...four home runs. WTH? With John Lannan cooling his heels in AAA, and Chien Ming Wang coming back soon, could the Nats be our most natural trading partner? What do the Nats need?
     Offense. Anderson, Middlebrooks, Youkilis, Aviles, Ells??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Heh, Amp! It's kind of sad but people probably die and just fade away here regularly and no one even knows what happened. Our virtual lives just get archived into nothingness.

I think harness is probably ok. I've thought of leaving and coming back under a different identity. Sometimes it's best to just start fresh. Lots of water under the bridge here for harness, and me, and many others. Also, I bet a lot of guys just start other hobbies, or go to other websites like SOSH ...etc. I like the guys over on soxprospects. They beat on me pretty regularly but overall most of them are funny and they have a lot of insight. 

My last kid is making his college decision next Monday. We are traveling in New England over the weekend. What am I going to do when he leaves the nest? I'll drive you guys crazy probably. He is penciled in for about 3 hours of every day so I'll have an extra 21 hours a week of new spare time. Watch out guys!

I know harness had sight issues, so maybe it go worse. I hope he's OK. He had a way of getting on people's nerves, but he also did the groundwork to back up his positions.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

... could the Nats be our most natural trading partner? 

Perhaps, but I doubt they want Youk, CC, Lackey or Jenks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Peavey's off to a great start. Time to bring him back down to earth.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Didn't yu want to acquire him?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, I mentioned him as a salary dump trade-off for CC or Lackey.

I'd still trade CC or Lackey for Peavey.

(Small sample sizes, but almost all the pitchers I mentioned in tarde talk are off to nice starts: Floys and Wandy were my most mentioned)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

95% of the forum loves you yet 5% engage with you on a thread.... weird world we live in. Don't get down about it, I still love u.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Burr, we have often disagreed, but I really enjoy our discussions. You just need to try and be right more often!

LOL

Wink

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Good to see the Yanks lose today.

We thought our starters were doing poorly, but the Yanks aren't doing to well either...

F. Garcia   12.51
    P. Hughes  7.88
    CC Sab       5.27
    I. Nova       5.18
    H. Kuroda  4.38

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

It's very early in the season, C.C. won't end with an ERA in the 5's, just like Buch won't end with an ERA in the 9's.

Can't believe people want him demoted, I swear this board was crazy about him after his 2010 season?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Byrd plays a deep CF, his D may be a problem.

WHAT WENT WRONG

- Marlon Byrd continued to struggle with the habit of breaking back on balls in center field, this time costing Lester a double off the bat of Paul Konerko. The first baseman’s one-out fly ball in the fourth dropped just in front of Byrd after the outfielder’s tardy start. Fortunately for the Red Sox, the hit failed to do any sort of damage, with Lester retiring Alex Rios on a fly ball to center, and struck out Dayan Viciedo to end the threat. WEEI

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]It's very early in the season, C.C. won't end with an ERA in the 5's, just like Buch won't end with an ERA in the 9's. Can't believe people want him demoted, I swear this board was crazy about him after his 2010 season?
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

I agree. Chances are several of the Yankee starters will improve their numbers, but we may not see CC continue on year after year at the level we are accustomed to seeing him at.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We thought our starters were doing poorly, but the Yanks aren't doing to well either...
            Yanks              Sox

F. Garcia   12.51    Buch  8.87
    P. Hughes  7.88      Lest   4.65
    CC Sab       5.27     Beck  4.56
    I. Nova       5.18     Doub  4.09
    H. Kuroda  4.38     Bard   3.72

Starters:    5.95      5.19
    WHIP:       1.572    1.454

Relief
    ERA:         2.18     6.33
    WHIP:      1.227   1.543

Look at our offense position by position (OPS):