A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II

In response to "Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II": [QUOTE]My feeling on Papi is that he'll be back. From what he's been saying the Sox have already been talking to him about a role in the organization when he's done playing and he's receptive to that idea. Also according to Gordon Edes on espn he offered to come back for 2 years at 12.5 per. David Ortiz is a Red Sox icon. No way can ownership let him play anywhere else. So Youk, especially if he's playing well, might be a trade deadline move. Posted by carnie[/QUOTE] I was really hoping Sox & Papi would have ended up agreeing to a two year deal for $20-22m this winter. If they keep him for 2013 (and I think they will), I think we might see a retirement deal if Papi is sincere about wanting to retire in a couple years. He has always said he wants to finish his career here. That said, there's no way they offer more than 2x$10m so I guess a huge season for him might make that deal hard to close.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was really hoping Sox & Papi would have ended up agreeing to a two year deal for $20-22m this winter. If they keep him for 2013 (and I think they will), I think we might see a retirement deal if Papi is sincere about wanting to retire in a couple years. He has always said he wants to finish his career here. That said, there's no way they offer more than 2x$10m so I guess a huge season for him might make that deal hard to close.

I agree, and we could have added some easy incentive to bring him to $25/2 and harder ones that could have brought him $30M/2.

We'd have been under the cap this year as well, a big point for the following seasons.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

3 games vs Oakalnd

Mon. Buch vs LHP Milone
    Tue. Doub vs RHP Parker
    Wed. Bard vs RHP McCarthey

Wouldn't it be nice to sweep with our 3-5 starters?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Shortstop WAR 2012 

#1  Jeter
    #3  Aviles
    #4  Lowrie

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Anyone else wishing we had Floyd now?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Wishing we had Floyd or wishing we had Floyd and no longer had Middlebrooks and some of the other kids???

Floyd is a good pitcher and is having a good start to this year.  No doubt he would have been a nice addition, but I am pretty excited about the potential of Bard and Doubront.  I think our rotation will end up being just fine and perhaps even exceptional ... of course, we will have to see how Clay does tonight.  I really hope he is just shaking off some rust and returns to resembling the 2010-11 version soon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wishing we had Floyd or wishing we had Floyd and no longer had Middlebrooks and some of the other kids???

Floyd is a good pitcher and is having a good start to this year.  No doubt he would have been a nice addition, but I am pretty excited about the potential of Bard and Doubront.  I think our rotation will end up being just fine and perhaps even exceptional ... of course, we will have to see how Clay does tonight.  I really hope he is just shaking off some rust and returns to resembling the 2010-11 version soon.

Yeah, i mentioned using Middlebrooks many times in my ideas fo offers to be made. I think if we could extend Floyd, I'd still think about it.

How about Salty, Ranaudo, Anderson, Hassan, and Bowden 
    for Floyd, Pierzynski & Ohman?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II:
    [QUOTE]Wishing we had Floyd or wishing we had Floyd and no longer had Middlebrooks and some of the other kids??? Floyd is a good pitcher and is having a good start to this year.  No doubt he would have been a nice addition, but I am pretty excited about the potential of Bard and Doubront.  I think our rotation will end up being just fine and perhaps even exceptional ... of course, we will have to see how Clay does tonight.  I really hope he is just shaking off some rust and returns to resembling the 2010-11 version soon. Yeah, i mentioned using Middlebrooks many times in my ideas fo offers to be made. I think if we could extend Floyd, I'd still think about it. How about Salty, Ranaudo, Anderson, Hassan, and Bowden  for Floyd, Pierzynski & Ohman?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]Well Bowden's gone, but if it were Wilson I'd do it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wonder if there was any serious talks with the White Sox, and if yes, what names were mentioned.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Before tonight's game...

Warning: small sample size (some ridiculously tiny)

Sox OPS in "late & close" situations:

1) Ross     1.500
    2) Shopp  1.500
    3) Pedey  1.314
    4) Aviles  1.152
    5) Sween 1.111

Sox in "high leverage" situations:

1) Ells       2.500
    2) Sween 2.000
    3) Ortiz    1.457
    4) Aviles  1.357
    5) Pedey  1.271
    6) AGon    1.083
    7) C Ross   .951

vs LHPs
    Punto  1.500
    Byrd    1.200
    Aviles 1.122
    Youk   1.115
    Papi    1.098
    Ross      .898

vs RHPs
    Ortiz    1.099
    Sween 1.056
    Shopp  1.007
    Pedey    .945
    Ross       .850
    Salty      .843
    AGon     .794
    DMac    .778

Last 14 days:
    Ortiz    1.101
    Salty    1.033
    Sween   .965
    Aviles    .882
    Ross      .848
    DMac     .821
    Pedey   .759
    Youk     .757
    AGon    .755
    Byrd     .641
    Shopp  .624
    Lars     .400
    Repko  .250
    Punto  .125
    Spears .000

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]Wishing we had Floyd or wishing we had Floyd and no longer had Middlebrooks and some of the other kids??? Floyd is a good pitcher and is having a good start to this year.  No doubt he would have been a nice addition, but I am pretty excited about the potential of Bard and Doubront.  I think our rotation will end up being just fine and perhaps even exceptional ... of course, we will have to see how Clay does tonight.  I really hope he is just shaking off some rust and returns to resembling the 2010-11 version soon. Yeah, i mentioned using Middlebrooks many times in my ideas fo offers to be made. I think if we could extend Floyd, I'd still think about it. How about Salty, Ranaudo, Anderson, Hassan, and Bowden  for Floyd, Pierzynski & Ohman?

Moon, from everything I've ever heard, you do NOT want A.J.P. on your team.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

OPS by batting order position from 2011 to 2012:

2011   2012
    1   .903   .824
    2   .827   .848
    3   .916   .739
    4   .861   .659
    5   .885 1.064
    6   .695 1.025
    7   .778   .743
    8   .629   .764
    9   .757   .464

OPS by position:
         2011    2012
    C    .737   .848
    1B  .944  .764
    2B  .862  .818
    3B  .812  .633
    SS  .730  .816
    LF  .723  .652
    CF  .918  .677
    RF  .652  .906
    DH  .925 1.096

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, from everything I've ever heard, you do NOT want A.J.P. on your team.

He's the Mike Lowell of the deal at $6M for 2012.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]Moon, from everything I've ever heard, you do NOT want A.J.P. on your team. He's the Mike Lowell of the deal at $6M for 2012.
    Then immediately turn around and trade him anywhere for anything, eat half salary if needed.
    Clubhouse poison.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Just curious why the White Sox would keep bringing a "poison" back.

$15M/3 in 2006
    $18.25M in 2008
    $8M/2 in 2011

I'm sure they'd love to dump his $6M for 2012, and might give up Floyd to make it happen.

I had also mentioned a deal where we give the CC and they give us AJP and Peavy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]Just curious why the White Sox would keep bringing a "poison" back. $15M/3 in 2006 $18.25M in 2008 $8M/2 in 2011 I'm sure they'd love to dump his $6M for 2012, and might give up Floyd to make it happen. I had also mentioned a deal where we give the CC and they give us AJP and Peavy.

Had previously wondered that myself !   But recall Orlando Cabrera kept getting signed by new clubs too. ( just had to lock up the young women ) Maybe Chicago just a wierd place ?
    After all, Owebama & co. from there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

OPS by position:
         2011    2012
    C    .737   .848
    1B  .944  .764
    2B  .862  .818
    3B  .812  .633
    SS  .730  .816
    LF  .723  .652
    CF  .918  .677
    RF  .652  .906
    DH  .925 1.096

Am I the only one who finds it interesting that the 4 positions with an OPS improvement this year are the 4 positions most discussed this past off season?

SS- Many were bummed we trade Scoot.
    C  - Many we bummed we didn't go with Lava.
    RF- Many we bummed we didn't go "large" here to get a big RH'd bat.
    DH- Many questioned giving Papi arb or signing him for nearly $15M.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Guys, moved houses this weekend, computer not set up yet, so just jumping in quickly from work.  Article in San Jose Mercury News today, A's really desperate for a third baseman, picked up Inge when released from Detroit and he's hit .237 over last couple of years, and they have no one in the minors on horizon.  I wish we could explore this for a trade.  I see that Youk is out again with some kind of a strain.  Seems like injuries are just dogging him now. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Guys, moved houses this weekend, computer not set up yet, so just jumping in quickly from work.  Article in San Jose Mercury News today, A's really desperate for a third baseman, picked up Inge when released from Detroit and he's hit .237 over last couple of years, and they have no one in the minors on horizon.  I wish we could explore this for a trade.  I see that Youk is out again with some kind of a strain.  Seems like injuries are just dogging him now. 
    Posted by Critter23[/QUOTE]The A's need a first baseman too, and I think that's a better position for Youk as he gets older. If I were Ben C I'd take Balfour and a good pitching prospect for Youk. I don't think you'll see anything this until at least after the super 2 deadline, and maybe not then. I think the Sox would much prefer that Youk were hitting when they deal him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Yes, they do need a first baseman, hadn't thought of that.  With what we've got coming in the pipeline Carnie, I hope Ben has some pre-lim talks with teams that might need a 1st/3rd baseman.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

By the way, Hector Sanchez is starting at C for the Giants when Buster Posey gets a day at first.  He is the personal catching caddy for Barry Zito who is off to a great start.   And this might be another team who might be interested in a 1st baseman...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The A's don't want Youk at this point in his career, and the contract is way too much.

If Oakland was really interested in Youk, a Youk for Coco trade might have been tried before the Byrd deal.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I think when Youk starts hitting again there will be a market for him, and the A's could be a prime trading partner. The way I see it is Billy Beane could have a dangerous lineup with Manny coming off suspension and he added Youk to it. I think Balfour would really help our bullpen, and I don't really see the need for Crisp. Yes we have a lot of outfielders on the DL, but we seem to be doing ok there. I do think the Sox should give Youk all the time in the world, or at least another month to get his stroke back before they made any moves with him. Middlebrooks is in a bit of a slump now anyway so probably best to let him play in Pawtucket for now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

How about Lars Andersen for their 1st base needs.    For whom, I have no idea. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

They probably showcased Anderson some tonight, but that didn't work out too well did it. He's from the Oakland area if I remember correctly. Somewhere up there. Local kid.

It seems like no one can hit on the Oakland team and yet they constantly seem to beat us.