A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II

There has been some chatter about how Tito should have asked for more bunts.

Today Rays have 1st and 3rd no outs, Sabathia struggling.

Bunt, runner stays at 3rd, leads to one out and runners at 2nd and 3rd.

Strike out and liner to third follow, no runs.

I 'd prefer swinging away.  Chance for big inning or sacfly.

Hey Moon

Did you see that play Gardner just made?  I know UZR has put big values towards Gardner and Crawford in LF which seem high.  Gardner has 27 assists from 873 PO, Jennings was just taught a lesson trying to stretch a single.   The NYY benefit b/c players will stop even trying to run on Gardner.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I really didn't see anyone going "ballistic". If you consider those responses "ballistic" then you would have to say the same about your replies.

And you have been beating the "age projection declines" horse for a number of years. Even with Arod and Jeter declining due to age the Yanks still manage to come out on top of the sawx. But keep beating that dead horse because some day you will actually be right.

Wow! A whole post witah no blatant misrepresentations. Nice job.

I have projected decline by the Yankee aging players. Was I wrong?

Only Mo has shown no decline.

Jeter has been below his career OPS in 3 of the last 4 years, and his fielding has gone from bad to horrible.

ARod has declined 4 straight years.

Posada went from .885 to .811 to .714 to retirement.

Pettitte pitched well, but got hurt and retired.

BTW, I never said the Yankee age factor would keep them from making the playoffs. I have projected the Yanks to make the playoffs every year they have made it the mid 1990's.

A question for you: have the Yanks declined since 2009?

(Hint: wins from 103> 97 > 95 > ?)
    (Avg pitcher's age: 29.3> 30.3> 31.0> opening day 2012: 30.8)

Rivera    42.5
    Kuroda  37 
    Garcia   35.5
    Soriano  32.5
    Sabath   31.5
    Rapada  31
    C Wade  29
    Logan    27.5
    Robertson 27
    Hughes  25.5
    Phelps   25.5
    Nova      25    

(5 of their 9 most important pitchers are over 31.)

I'm not projecting the Yanks to be worse in 2012, but just think the possibility they do is significant. 

The Sox avg pitcher age is 28.5, the lowest since 1997.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Where is the Tampa thread moon?  Did you see who Maddon had batting 4th? OMG that was crazy, and he burried Pena who just happen to drive in 5 runs. I believe Pena leads all active players for the most HR's combined against NY/BOS.

Of course the game worked out great - but can you imagine Ortiz and Youk batting say 7 and 8 while Salty or Punto batted clean-up behind AGon.

I wonder what Maddon was thinking?  Longoria had no protection.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hey Moon

Did you see that play Gardner just made? 

I only caught part of the Yankee game today. I went to our neighborhood annual crawfish block party and missed the play.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II:
    [QUOTE]Where is the Tampa thread moon?  Did you see who Maddon had batting 4th? OMG that was crazy, and he burried Pena who just happen to drive in 5 runs. I believe Pena leads all active players for the most HR's combined against NY/BOS. Of course the game worked out great - but can you imagine Ortiz and Youk batting say 7 and 8 while Salty or Punto batted clean-up behind AGon. I wonder what Maddon was thinking?  Longoria had no protection.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

...and Matt Joyce 9th.

... and Sean Rodriguez 5th?

Keppinger and Rodriguez went 3 for 6 with 2 BBs... hmmm....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

True about Joyce and I think Scott was on the bench.  I only now saw that Pena's batting average is pitiful over the last few years... the Rays really still need a solid #4, with Pena batting 5th or even 6th depending on Joyce and Scott's performances. The Rays oughta trade for Ethier  Money mouth.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Rays aren't going away.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Boom, I like your projections.  I have good feelings about Doubie and Cook.  In a perverted kind of way, I think we're better to have health issues now as opposed to going into the year with everyone ok.  I like the idea of "players coming back."
    I'm hoping Salty does better than your projections.  I want to believe he will continue to get better.  One point I want to mention.  You referred to BV going more with the lefty-righty splits.  I think that approach through the lineup plus other moves he might make could lead to better overall production.  I don't think, for example, that he'll tend to go with vets first regardless of recent play.  I'm pretty positive about the year right now.  I can't believe some of the writers are whining about the pen after one game.  I think we ought to go 10-15 games before we start to get too excited about anyhing.  I remember during our terrible start last year you stayed steady.

As a side note, Hector Sanchez made the Giants.  It was decided his bat was too good to send down.  Both older defensive catchers were sent to AAA.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Moon, sorry, I was referring to your projections.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Edit: Moon], I like your projections.  I have good feelings about Doubie and Cook.  In a perverted kind of way, I think we're better to have health issues now as opposed to going into the year with everyone ok.  I like the idea of "players coming back."

I'm not sure we can handle even a normal amount of injuries this year, and with Dice-K coming back at some point, a starter injury then seems to be better than now.

I'm hoping Salty does better than your projections.  I want to believe he will continue to get better.  

I am still hopeful that Salty gets his act together. As I mentioned before, he is now the age VTek was when he became the FT starter. However, I am not confident Salty will ever come close to VTek on game-calling and other nuances of being a great defensive catcher. Maybe he can become dequate enough whereby his offense makes him a plus. I still prefer Lava. Now. 

One point I want to mention.  You referred to BV going more with the lefty-righty splits.  I think that approach through the lineup plus other moves he might make could lead to better overall production.  I don't think, for example, that he'll tend to go with vets first regardless of recent play.  I'm pretty positive about the year right now.  I can't believe some of the writers are whining about the pen after one game.  I think we ought to go 10-15 games before we start to get too excited about anyhing.  I remember during our terrible start last year you stayed steady.

There was concern about the pen before the one game, but they have over-reacted as always. Losing Paps and Bard from the pen was huge. Even if Bailey was healthy, our pen would be worse than 2011.

As a side note, Hector Sanchez made the Giants.  It was decided his bat was too good to send down.  Both older defensive catchers were sent to AAA.

I saw Posey botch that play last night, but he's going to be alright.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]Boom, I like your projections.  I have good feelings about Doubie and Cook.  In a perverted kind of way, I think we're better to have health issues now as opposed to going into the year with everyone ok.  I like the idea of "players coming back." I'm hoping Salty does better than your projections.  I want to believe he will continue to get better.  One point I want to mention.  You referred to BV going more with the lefty-righty splits.  I think that approach through the lineup plus other moves he might make could lead to better overall production.  I don't think, for example, that he'll tend to go with vets first regardless of recent play.  I'm pretty positive about the year right now.  I can't believe some of the writers are whining about the pen after one game.  I think we ought to go 10-15 games before we start to get too excited about anyhing.  I remember during our terrible start last year you stayed steady. As a side note, Hector Sanchez made the Giants.  It was decided his bat was too good to send down.  Both older defensive catchers were sent to AAA.
    Posted by Critter23[/QUOTE]

Crit, I couldn't understand why Sanchez wasn't more highly regarded in their system also. Sounds like you were on that one before they were. I'm sure he had some defensive work to do or something because the numbers were sure in his favor. 

Sports are a lot about momentum and attitude. We never did seem to win a lot of close games last year, IMO. We just bludgeoned teams to death. This team is potentially a true champion if we get everyone playing with the attitude I saw in game 1. They need to be able to come back in the late innings and to be able to win 1 run type games, especially low scoring ones. We almost pulled it off in game one. That is a good sign.

I'm not completely on the Iglesias band wagon, as Aviles has mad a case for himself so far, but the D Iglesias would provide does reposition this team to maybe win more of those 3-2 type games. Really big factor in taking this team to another level. An underated factor. The bottom line is wins. Not stats. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The bottom line is wins. Not stats. 

Still waitring for that first win...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Anyone bet on the Red Sox, yesterday? That is, if you were a betting man and you felt a betting man should wager on the Red Sox, yesterday.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Frankly Boom, when it comes to D, Hector is a work in progress.  I think he is a fairly recent convert to catcher, but he is way ahead on his O which is why the Giants kept him--they were deprived of that last year and like some other team I know have started off 0-2 against Arizona.

I didn't see the game today and just read accounts.  Sounds like they were out of it at the onset and never got any momentum.  Maybe a couple of early spankings are good; make everybody realize early they are going to have to work.  But I wish they could have scored a few runs.  In light of your remark, I remember last year when they weren't clubbing someone to death, sometimes they couldn't manufacture a needed run.  I hope BV works on that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Beckett already has shown some dislike to throwing to somebody other than Varitek. Of course, this is a Sox team that can no longer look for a guy to stabilize the staff behind the plate, or try to get a start from a veteran pitcher to break a losing slump...those two guys are retired. But it's 2 games and it's the Tigers, so fact remains, hard team for the Sox to go up against in a first series.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Beckett is having thumb issues, we are in big trouble.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Beckett isn't having thumb issues, he's having performance issues.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

What was really telling was early in the game Salty went to the mound to get things right and then BAM, Beckett gives up a HR. It was like Posada and Burnett. Round 2.

Some guys need a catcher to call the game for them. 

Wasn't Beckett's velocity way down also. Had to work. Couldn't watch the game. Heard it on the radio.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I know it's WAY EARLY but the minors seem to be very encouaging this year. Swihart has started out hitting and walking like crazy. On base something like 8 of 10 official AB ( something like that ). Throwing out a runner and getting 2 SB in 2 games. The kid is a real athlete guys. It's only 2 games but how many catchers have we had who have stolen a base in each of their first 2 games of the season. The kid's just about right out of high school ( only 6 AB last year ), and is already in Greenville, and he sure looks like an athlete to me from watching his videos.

Owens looked good in his start today. Wilson looked better than ever. Cook was outstanding. Lots of other guys looking like they could well emerge this year as major prospects. Check it out here:

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Owens gave up some runs but he had 7 strikeouts in 3 innings also.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]Beckett already has shown some dislike to throwing to somebody other than Varitek. Of course, this is a Sox team that can no longer look for a guy to stabilize the staff behind the plate, or try to get a start from a veteran pitcher to break a losing slump...those two guys are retired. But it's 2 games and it's the Tigers, so fact remains, hard team for the Sox to go up against in a first series.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Yes, because wake certainly shined in that role last year!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]The bottom line is wins. Not stats.  Still waitring for that first win...
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

So too are the Yanks and a handful of other clubs...

In case you weren't made aware the Tigers are pretty good...

After two games on the road in review. Lester looked pretty good and pitched well enough to win...Beckett not so much...The pen has been a little woobly and our offense has scored a total of 2 runs. Today we get to see Buccholz take the hill and hopefully he'll pitch well enough to win and it would be nice to see our offense score enough runs to support his effort.

Here's what we know to be true...Lester if healthy will win more than his share of games ditto for Beckett and Buccholz. No need to jump of the cliff after one start...in the big picture we still don't know what we're going to get from Dobrount and Bard. Thus they both fall under the questions remaining to be answered column...Our pen due to the loss of Bailey is a long term concern, in the short term we have to see what Melancon brings to the table and trust that Aceves can step up and stake his claim to the closers role who along with Melancon & Morales are our late innings guys...middle relief is as always a work in progress. At this time the pen is our greatest concern, but today after 2 games is still not a fatal flaw...

Our offense will score enough runs and is the least of our concerns.

I think that we need stop allowing the press to highten our angst by drawing comparisions to last year after every loss. Instead trust that Cherington and the ownership group, along with Valentine will when the time is right make moves nessasary to address those flaws and in the end come September we'll be in the mix.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II : So too are the Yanks and a handful of other clubs... In case you weren't made aware the Tigers are pretty good... After two games on the road in review. Lester looked pretty good and pitched well enough to win...Beckett not so much...The pen has been a little woobly and our offense has scored a total of 2 runs. Today we get to see Buccholz take the hill and hopefully he'll pitch well enough to win and it would be nice to see our offense score enough runs to support his effort. Here's what we know to be true...Lester if healthy will win more than his share of games ditto for Beckett and Buccholz. No need to jump of the cliff after one start...in the big picture we still don't know what we're going to get from Dobrount and Bard. Thus they both fall under the questions remaining to be answered column...Our pen due to the loss of Bailey is a long term concern, in the short term we have to see what Melancon brings to the table and trust that Aceves can step up and stake his claim to the closers role who along with Melancon & Morales are our late innings guys...middle relief is as always a work in progress. At this time the pen is our greatest concern, but today after 2 games is still not a fatal flaw... Our offense will score enough runs and is the least of our concerns. I think that we need stop allowing the press to highten our angst by drawing comparisions to last year after every loss. Instead trust that Cherington and the ownership group, along with Valentine will when the time is right make moves nessasary to address those flaws and in the end come September we'll be in the mix.
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

"Tigers are pretty good"

I'd say. Just the class of the AL with the Angels a distant second followed by Ryan's Rangers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II :          "Tigers are pretty good"           I'd say. Just the class of the AL with the Angels a distant second followed by Ryan's Rangers.
    Posted by Hingham Hammer[/QUOTE]

I'd put the Angels in top spot based on the depth of thier rotation...followed by the Tigers & Rangers with the Yanks, Rays & Sox in the mix too. Cleary those six teams represent the top echelon with the Indians, Jays & Royals all formidable foes.

The Sox lost two on the road to a good opponant...the Yank's lost two on the road to a good opponant. Not sure that with 160 games to play that either has been mathematically elimaned just yet...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...or try to get a start from a veteran pitcher to break a losing slump... (Danny)

Yes, because wake certainly shined in that role last year! (TBINFL)

Actually, Wake did just that. Just what we needed, until Tito over-used him.
    1st start in 2011:
    May 1st  5.2 IP  3H  1 ER  1 BB (Team won)
    He got rocked in his 2nd start (4.1-8-6-4)
    Then this:
    5/22  6.2  4  1  0  (Team won)
    5/27  7.0  5  2  2  (Team won)
    6/1    6.0  7  4  1  (Lost)
    6/8    5.1  5  5  3  (Win).
    6/14  7.0  4  1  5  (Loss)
    6/19  8.0  3  3  1  (Win)
    6/25  6.0  7  5  4  (Loss)
    The the team won 6 of his next 7 starts up to mid August (where he let up 3 ERs in 5 of them).

I guess a vet starter who leads his team to an 11-6 record after the slump month of April is not what this team needs from a Yankee fan standpoint.