A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II

Not sure that with 160 games to play that either has been mathematically elimaned just yet...

By the sounds of some chicken littles here, it's all over already. Same thing happened last spring, and by the end of June most were right back on the bandwagon.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

or a lot of Sox fans too, moon. Look, the two guys are retired (forcefully in both cases). Jamie Moyer pitching at 49, so it's not like it would have been out of the realm to have brought Wakefield back. There is not a lot in that clubhouse in terms of veteran leadership. Ortiz is not a leader, sorry. Great hitter, but not a leader. As for the rest of the team, it's going to take some time, but to be real, even looking at today's lineup, not a lot to offer. The team will probably win today with the B lineup, but who can blame Bobby V for starting three guys for three guys who aren't performing. Look, let's face it. This is not a playoff team, never thought it would, and so if they win 90, be happy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Nick Punto, Darnell McDonald and Kelly Shoppach are on the roster, if that in itself doesn't tell you that the Sox are not deep, then nothing else will. Bobby was saddled with this team by Mr. Cherington and company. Beckett, Crawford and Lackey continue to be Theo-made albatrosses with no chance of detaching without a large pay day for not participating. I'm not a Valentine fan either, but can't say he's a problem as it's not a playoff team. Papelbon is gone and they got damaged goods to replace him--quick fixes. Sounds a lot like Duquette's final years. Get guys who are cost-effective and don't do the job. Not thrilled when they acquired Ross, still not thrilled. Not excited about Aviles replacing "over-priced" Scutaro at short, not excited about an aging Youkilis at 3b. Just not excited. Aceves is already throwing in the wrong situation and Bard is a starter on a staff starving for relievers. I don't care about the 2 games that started the season, but if this is a marathon, then the Sox are standing at the start, sipping some Gatorade.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I do have to say why bench Salty when he is 2/3 against todays pitcher and Ross when he is 2/4 historically. Salty is rarely 2 for 3 against anyboday. Savor those guys and play him then!

The only guy I'm really worried about is Youk. Hopefully he pulls out of this. He has had a lot of injuries. Hopefully he will. I haven't seen many games yet at all. Is he is not getting his Greek God of walks calls from the umps. Is he swinging and missing at hard stuff. What is the deal?

This team is going to score runs. I'm not worried about that. It could be a ton of runs.

Valentine is extremely unconventional. Either he is stupid, ignorant or a managerial genius. Hopefully the later.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I could see starting Shoppach and DMac if Detroit was using a lefty, but I don't get it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II:
    [QUOTE]I do have to say why bench Salty when he is 2/3 against todays pitcher and Ross when he is 2/4 historically. Salty is rarely 2 for 3 against anyboday. Savor those guys and play him then! The only guy I'm really worried about is Youk. Hopefully he pulls out of this. He has had a lot of injuries. Hopefully he will. I haven't seen many games yet at all. Is he is not getting his Greek God of walks calls from the umps. Is he swinging and missing at hard stuff. What is the deal? This team is going to score runs. I'm not worried about that. It could be a ton of runs. Valentine is extremely unconventional. Either he is stupid, ignorant or a managerial genius. Hopefully the later.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

I think Valentine's ego makes him want to appear to be a genius. IMO, in game strategy has very little impact on winning games. Valentine seems to believe his moves can produce wins. I find very little evidence in the history of the game that convinces me that managers who make a lot of in game moves have better results then those who don't.

However, the one thing I will say in favor of Valentine is that he will utilize the entire roster and not let any players sit on the bench too often. I think this will keep everyone fresh and give the bench players more confidence.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

You guys are probably not digging my projection for Aceves at closer now are you. Heh, I'm sorry guys!

I'm sticking with him still though at this point. 

The good news is we did fight back well today and with a little luck it could well have gone our way. I think we are still fine. 

I can't wait to see Lavarnway in June though hopefully, extending that lineup with another middle of the order type bat rather than Salty.

Barnes had a solid start today in his debut. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wanted Bard as the closer after Paps walked, but we'll never know how that would have worked out.

Morales looked good today. Padilla too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Unfortunately we had a great closer, we signed another good closer and we still have no closer...in life there is a saying that goes sort of like this:  If it is working, don't mess with it. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

[QUOTE]I wanted Bard as the closer after Paps walked, but we'll never know how that would have worked out. Morales looked good today. Padilla too.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Me to this bullpen is rotten even with bard.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There's a few things I would have done differently, but taking Bard from the pen after losing Papelbon was perhaps the most damaging. For the record, I was not for outbidding the Phillies for Papelbon at that length of a deal. I liked the Reddick for Bailey and Sweeney deal, but I wanted bard to stay as the set-up man to keep some semblance of continuity from 2011. Now, we have Paps gone. Bard starting. And Aceves closing.

If we could have a couple of winter do-overs, I'd choose to redo the Bard decision and not offer the arb to Papi.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Papi is doing well so far but I do agree Moon. That was $16 mil we could have used elsewhere plus Lavarnway would have given us a good bat plus more roster flexibility.

Let's hope Papi continues to produce though. So far so good. He's certainly ahead of my expectations.

We almost won 2 games. Things are ok. I think it's highly unlikely Buchholz and Beckett are going to tank and maybe we start getting some good performance from the #4 and 5 guys to pick us up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Papi is doing well so far but I do agree Moon. That was $16 mil we could have used elsewhere plus Lavarnway would have given us a good bat plus more roster flexibility. Let's hope Papi continues to produce though. So far so good. He's certainly ahead of my expectations. We almost won 2 games. Things are ok. I think it's highly unlikely Buchholz and Beckett are going to tank and maybe we start getting some good performance from the #4 and 5 guys to pick us up.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

I agree, boom. The naysayers are out in full bloom, just like last April.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II : Me to this bullpen is rotten even with bard.
    Posted by CHUBBIE99[/QUOTE]

With a healthy Bailey and bard in the pen, I think we had the potential of having a better/deeper pen than 2011.

Bailey
    Bard
    Aceves
    Melancon
    Morales (full year)
    Albers
    Padilla/Atchison/Bowden/Tazawa/Miller/Thomas/others

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE] ... or  try to get a start from a veteran pitcher to break a losing slump ... (Danny) Yes, because wake certainly shined in that role last year! (TBINFL) Actually, Wake did just that. Just what we needed, until Tito over-used him. 1st start in 2011: May 1st  5.2 IP  3H  1 ER  1 BB (Team won) He got rocked in his 2nd start (4.1-8-6-4) Then this: 5/22  6.2  4  1  0  (Team won) 5/27  7.0  5  2  2  (Team won) 6/1    6.0  7  4  1  (Lost) 6/8    5.1  5  5  3  (Win). 6/14  7.0  4  1  5  (Loss) 6/19  8.0  3  3  1  (Win) 6/25  6.0  7  5  4  (Loss) The the team won 6 of his next 7 starts up to mid August (where he let up 3 ERs in 5 of them). I guess a vet starter who leads his team to an 11-6 record after the slump month of April is not what this team needs from a Yankee fan standpoint.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

My point was that he didn't stop any losing streaks.

And no mention of the team losing 7 out of the last 8 from mid August on. Nice cherry picking.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Can you point anything about your team, the yankees? Please provide something we don't know about your team. We know all about our team already.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Tonight's pitching opponent, HENDERSON ALVAREZ, was brought up to the majors from A ball last year? That is what I just read here:

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

My brain is melting reading the reactionary stupidity in other threads and in the media.  I really hope this team gets a couple of convincing wins now ... that's the only cure.  Go Douby, Bard & Lester!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My point was that he didn't stop any losing streaks.

Keeping a team winning is just as important as stopping a losing streak.

The Sox were 11-15 on May 1st and had just lost 4 of 5 games. Wake went 5.2 IP allowing 3 hits and 1 run for the win. (We won 6 of 9 starting with that win.)

We lost on May 21st, but Wake won the next day going 6.2 with 1 ER allowed (keeping us 1/2 game out of first place.)

Wake won the game that put us into first place on May 27th (7 IP 2 ER).

On June 8th, he did the same thing by putting us up 1 game (keeping us going on our 9 game win streak).

June 19th Wake won after a Sox loss (8IP 3 ER).

The Sox were on a 2-7 run up to July 1st: we beat the Astros to stay 2.5 down.

July 6th: Wake won to put us down 1/2 (7IP 3 ER vs TOR).

July 18th: win to keep us up 1.5 (4.2  3 ER) & July 24th win keeps us up 3.

After a 3-3 stretch Wake helps us wins on Aug 3rd (6.2 IP  3 ER).

After taking 2 of 3 vs the Yanks to go up 1 on August 7th, Wake helps us win the first road game at MN (7IP 3ER).

Wake then did this to end the year:
    8 IP 4 ER (We lost 5-3)
    5.1   4  (Wake left up 4-3- we lost.)
    4.0   4  (We lost 15-5.)
    4.0   0  (We lost 10-0.)
    5.0   4  (Left game up 8-5: the pen blew it, and we lost 11-10.)
    6.0   5  (We lost 5 in a row up to Sept 12th. Wake broke the streak with help.)
    4.0   3  (We lost 6-2.)

Certainly not great or even good, but not horrible, and not the reason we lost.

And no mention of the team losing 7 out of the last 8 from mid August on. Nice cherry picking.

I have mentione those 7 of 8 many times, and provided a game by game ana'ysis to show what really happened. 

I also had claimed at the end of July that Tito was overusing Wake and he needed a rest. He was never meant to start 21 straight games with no extra rest. He had also been left in a few games too long in order to "save the pen" for the next day.

Wake did not pitch well from mid August to the end. He pitched poorly, but had some tough breaks, including many infield hits, passed balls and other bad luck moments. 

The Sox lost 5 in a row in September before a Wake win, so you need to adjust your statement.

Why dfon't you go and cherry-pick the other starters Sept numbers?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Felix "The Cat" Doubront put the hammer down tonight. If he had gotten that out call at home plate, as deserved, it would have been an even better start. Just call him "Whiskers" or the "Cat" or the "Big Panther". He's cool. He looks like a cat and his name is Felix!

Welcome to the starting rotation Cat! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Felix "The Cat" Doubront put the hammer down tonight. If he had gotten that out call at home plate, as deserved, it would have been an even better start. Just call him "Whiskers" or the "Cat" or the "Big Panther". He's cool. He looks like a cat and his name is Felix! Welcome to the starting rotation Cat! 
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]Agreed. Felix is one cool cat. Soon folks will be talking about him right along with Ray Charles and Brian Setzer, right zillagod?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Check this out. What player in his first year of full season ball, effectively just out of high school, got on base 9 times in his first 10 official AB, stole 2 bases and threw out 2 runners as a catcher during his first 3 games. And then hit a triple today?

Matilda, I think we have a ringer. Very small sample size but this guy has looked tremendous so far, on USA baseball and early in his pro career. How many catchers have we had who stole bases in each of their for 2 games of full season ball. How many threw out 2 runners already, in the first 3 games played? He looks like an athlete also guys. Check out his videos. This kid can play anywhere on the field.

Swihart.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Check this out. What player in his first year of full season ball, effectively just out of high school, got on base 9 times in his first 10 official AB, stole 2 bases and threw out 2 runners as a catcher during his first 3 games. And then hit a triple today? Matilda, I think we have a ringer. Very small sample size but this guy has looked tremendous so far, on USA baseball and early in his pro career. How many catchers have we had who stole bases in each of their for 2 games of full season ball. How many threw out 2 runners already, in the first 3 games played? He looks like an athlete also guys. Check out his videos. This kid can play anywhere on the field. Swihart. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFLX8yEZ0Ik&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFy9a9gJ25A&feature=fvwrel
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]I was very glad to see the Sox draft him first last year. Even happier when they managed to sign him. How many years away do you think he is boomer?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

You know I'm putting the cart way before the horse here, and getting optimistic after only a few games but this kid might be the best prospect we have produced since before Pedroia. I'm not saying he will be better than Pedroia but as a prospect he might develop into a top 10 or even a top 5 guy. No one expected Pedroia to become what he ended up being. I mean nobody. Swihart is capable of being an all star level player the conventional way, and he could end up almost anywhere on the field.

And he is one of several guys down on the farm who could emerge as a top guy in the next year. Barnes, Cechinni, Coyle, Bradley, Bogaerts ...etc...It should be a tremendous year down on the farm this year.

I'm putting way to much pressure on Swihart. Hopefully he never sees this stuff and just isn't affected by the hype. He's got a ton of talent.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

He's got a long way to go but what a start!

Sections
Shortcuts