A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II:
    [QUOTE]He's got a long way to go but what a start!
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]True Dat

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

After all the excitement about Ross, it seems that the curveball is not his friend. I think Sweeney was projected to be our primary starter all along. Ross was $3 mil for a reason.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]After all the excitement about Ross, it seems that the curveball is not his friend. I think Sweeney was projected to be our primary starter all along. Ross was $3 mil for a reason.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]Ross and Sweeney will probably platoon in right once Crawford is ready.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

“Why don’t you want to talk about the two rockets I hit? Huh?” Ortiz said. “I was safe, by the way.” David Ortiz after last nights win and on the subject of being thrown out in an attempted steal of second base.

I think I like this guy again.... his quote made me laugh and I applaud it. Go Sox! Keep hustling!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Check this out. What player in his first year of full season ball, effectively just out of high school, got on base 9 times in his first 10 official AB, stole 2 bases and threw out 2 runners as a catcher during his first 3 games. And then hit a triple today? Matilda, I think we have a ringer. Very small sample size but this guy has looked tremendous so far, on USA baseball and early in his pro career. How many catchers have we had who stole bases in each of their for 2 games of full season ball. How many threw out 2 runners already, in the first 3 games played? He looks like an athlete also guys. Check out his videos. This kid can play anywhere on the field. Swihart. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFLX8yEZ0Ik&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFy9a9gJ25A&feature=fvwrel
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Do you think Swihart makes Lava look more and more like our longterm DH/back-up catcher (starting maybe in 2014)?

We may see Lava DH next year if Papi walks and we keep Youk and keep Youk at 3B.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

After all the excitement about Ross, it seems that the curveball is not his friend. I think Sweeney was projected to be our primary starter all along. Ross was $3 mil for a reason.

Ross will come around, just as Sweeney is likely to come back to earth.

BTW, I don't hear those Reddick fans as much anymore after his first game HR.

Reddick    .263  1  1
    Sweeney  .467  0  2

(Small sample sizes)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

bump the Yankee bumper.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Great game last night which showed what Cherington/Valentine had in mind with respect to the bullpen (plus Doubront of course).  Tonight Bard, but for the first time a feeling that maybe the bullpen can support him.  

Everyone keeps assuming that the Sox have three basestealers, not including Ortiz, when CC returns to the lineup, but I would argue Ellsbury might be opting out.  He had a great May 2011, but tailed off drastically afterwards, and this year attempted no steals in spring training or in the 4 games to date.    So right now I see just Pedroia until Crawford returns. 

After 5 games the Sox are 5th in the AL in runs scored, which ain't that great (or lousy either), but what I really like is how they have battled in 3 of 4 games and, I believe, scored in the 9th inning in the 1st, 3d, and 4th games, to say nothing of the two more runs in the 11th on Sunday.  

I also think Valentine has made pretty much the right moves, especially last night showing faith in Doubront to finish the 5th, in keeping Atkinson out there for 3 innings, and in giving Aceves another save opportunity in the 9th despite Sunday's debacle.  Shaking up the lineup in game 3 was exactly what was needed.  That the Sox lost 3 of 4 games only shows that managers don't win games nearly as often as players do.   The Sox, FWIW, still have the worst ERA in MLB even though it is coming down. 

Love the attempted steal by Ortiz last night.  What's to lose?  And he was almost safe--it took a perfect throw to get him. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]After all the excitement about Ross, it seems that the curveball is not his friend. I think Sweeney was projected to be our primary starter all along. Ross was $3 mil for a reason. Ross will come around, just as Sweeney is likely to come back to earth. BTW, I don't hear those Reddick fans as much anymore after his first game HR. Reddick    .263  1  1 Sweeney  .467  0  2 (Small sample sizes)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    I'm not saying they will not platoon Sweeney and Ross or that Ross will be a disaster. I'm saying Sweeney gets more of the starts, which makes sense anyway as he is left handed. He's the better fit for this team overall. Ross ends up a RH bat off the bench with some pop. Especially usefull against fastball pitching.

Just my guess. BTW, I do think Reddick will do well. That trade was about money as much as anything.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II : Do you think Swihart makes Lava look more and more like our longterm DH/back-up catcher (starting maybe in 2014)? We may see Lava DH next year if Papi walks and we keep Youk and keep Youk at 3B.

I think they may want Swihart's bat so badly that they move him off catcher so he can advance faster. I don't think that happens but this guy might have a very special bat. The kind you want in the lineup every day.

What is interesting is that this guy could well stick at catcher also. He is capable of becoming an excellent defensive catcher also. This guy might be Buster Posey round 2.

Don't you think Moon. He is an excellent all around athlete.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

A lot of teams would stick him at 2nd base right now and develop another Pedroia. That is his upside. He could play corner OF, at 3rd, 2nd, catcher or first even. He is an excellent all around athlete.

I don't think Ellsbury is backing off stealing bases. I think he just hasn't had many opportunities as he hasn't been on base much yet and we have been way behind in some of these games. He will steal bases this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

The last 2 years in the mlb draft we picked the top hitters for average on the USA 18 year old national basbal team, Cechinni and Swihart. Both kids are blue chip hitting prospects. I like our chances of getting a stud from that grouping, maybe 2.

Both could obviously still bust, like most prospects do, but top, blue chip guys like these 2 are much more likely to pan out in today's level of scouting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think they may want Swihart's bat so badly that they move him off catcher so he can advance faster. I don't think that happens but this guy might have a very special bat. The kind you want in the lineup every day.

What is interesting is that this guy could well stick at catcher also. He is capable of becoming an excellent defensive catcher also. This guy might be Buster Posey round 2.

Don't you think Moon. He is an excellent all around athlete.

I agree. This kid looks like the real deal. If he can catch at the ML level, I think he stays there due to the massive comparative value he'd have over other great hitters. There are much less great hitting catchers in MLB. At 1B, he'd be just another hitting 1Bman..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That the Sox lost 3 of 4 games only shows that managers don't win games nearly as often as players do.   The Sox, FWIW, still have the worst ERA in MLB even though it is coming down.  

Although hitting in the clutch is not usually a sustainable stat, it's nice to see us start off on the right foot in that area.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from scoobydew. Show scoobydew's posts

The Sox were not going to lose them all.  Of course having to come back in the 9th to win the first is a little disconcerting.  Above average offense + below average pitching = .500 ball club. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Sox were not going to lose them all.  Of course having to come back in the 9th to win the first is a little disconcerting.  Above average offense + below average pitching = .500 ball club. 

More like top 3 hitting and average pitching at worst.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I really hope Youk gets on track soon. I'm worried.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

[QUOTE]After all the excitement about Ross, it seems that the curveball is not his friend. I think Sweeney was projected to be our primary starter all along. Ross was $3 mil for a reason. Ross will come around, just as Sweeney is likely to come back to earth. BTW, I don't hear those Reddick fans as much anymore after his first game HR. Reddick    .263  1  1 Sweeney  .467  0  2 (Small sample sizes)
    Sweeney looks like the real deal...But in regard to Youlikis, moon, what are the Red Sox likely to do if his bat does not come back to life...Will they take a Posada 2011-loyalty style approach and let him work through it no matter how long it takes...Or do they start sitting him more, and put Punto at 3rd base? Historically, Youkilis would seem to be about as Core Fourish as it gets in RSN....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Teilhardian says that he has a Doctor of Divinity degree from Harvard University and is a practicing Christian. Why start a thread about politics in Cuba and Miami when he knows that it will end up as a political debate. Why doesn't Teilhardian give us some insight from the Christian viewpoint. Why not supersede politics with ethics and morality. What would Teilhardian say from the pulpit if he were giving a sermon / homily in a Miami church. Forget about the academic, highbrow, intellectual, student of history, debate. Give us your opinion as a man of the cloth.                                  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

[QUOTE]Teilhardian says that he has a Doctor of Divinity degree from Harvard University and is a practicing Christian. Why start a thread about politics in Cuba and Miami when he knows that it will end up as a political debate. Why doesn't Teilhardian give us some insight from the Christian viewpoint. Why not supersede politics with ethics and morality. What would Teilhardian say from the pulpit if he were giving a sermon / homily in a Miami church. Forget about the academic, highbrow, intellectual, student of history, debate. Give us your opinion as a man of the cloth.                                  
    Posted by 6k42lt913c[/QUOTE]
    It's a masters degree pike, and I am not a "man of the cloth" by any stretch..I work as a therapist for the State of New York...I have no clue what I might say if I were in that position, given all the contradictions, pain and suffering of the Cuban exile community in Miami, and all parties involved for that matter...And please do not follow me on a strictly baseball thread by re-posting what you have said already on the Ozzie thread..It's a fair question, but I do not have an answer for you at this time, so please let it go...Thanks...And a belated Happy Easter..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

But you made such a big deal of it the other day that you were once a divinity student at Harvard and you are lost in the study and teachings of Teilhardien. You surely fooled Moonslav.

You were extremely opinionated on the Ozzie / Cuban thread that you started and were successful at getting many posters riled up. Was that your mission? If so why are you now lukewarm about it?

Jesus would have said that both Batista and Castro were sinners and should be forgiven. Instead you had to make a big issue over it and turn it into a debate that further alienated forum posters against each other. Do you score points when you do that? What does that turn you on?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II : Sweeney looks like the real deal...But in regard to Youlikis, moon, what are the Red Sox likely to do if his bat does not come back to life...Will they take a Posada 2011-loyalty style approach and let him work through it no matter how long it takes...Or do they start sitting him more, and put Punto at 3rd base? Historically, Youkilis would seem to be about as Core Fourish as it gets in RSN....
    Posted by teilhardian[/QUOTE]

We can't afford a Posada-like happening. I do think if we decide to sit Youk, Aviles will move to 3B and Iggy will be called up even if he's hitting .190.

I'm wondering how long it will take to demote him in the order. It took 2+ years for Tito to demote Papi from the 3 slot (especially vs LHPs). The problem is that we have no other legitimate #5 hitter unless we juggle the whole line-up and put someone else #1 or 2 and use Pedey 4th and Papi 5th vs righties and maybe Pedey 3rd vs lefties with AGon 4th and Papi 5th.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thanks Teilhard, for keeping this thread about baseball. It's one of the few that has stayed relatively free of politics and petty bickering...relatively speaking.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II : We can't afford a Posada-like happening. I do think if we decide to sit Youk, Aviles will move to 3B and Iggy will be called up even if he's hitting .190. I'm wondering how long it will take to demote him in the order. It took 2+ years for Tito to demote Papi from the 3 slot (especially vs LHPs). The problem is that we have no other legitimate #5 hitter unless we juggle the whole line-up and put someone else #1 or 2 and use Pedey 4th and Papi 5th vs righties and maybe Pedey 3rd vs lefties with AGon 4th and Papi 5th.  
    I will say this, moon..If the Red Sox can get another serviceable starter, and Youk can become more like the Youk of old, then the Red Sox will be contending for the division...Despite the 5 runs he gave up yesterday, I thought Bard looked pretty strong against the Jays..And it was positively sick the way he handled Bautista....Even though the Yanks won tonight, Sabathia pitched like Smiley-Beni was calling the game from behind the plate...He did not have it at all...The Yanks have only had one fairly good starting pitching performance so far, and that was Ivan Nova...The Yanks and Red Sox might end up fighting it out for the WC...Time will tell, but the Red Sox are a few pieces away and it is not as gloomy a forecast as many are suggesting...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks Teilhard, for keeping this thread about baseball. It's one of the few that has stayed relatively free of politics and petty bickering...relatively speaking.
    Your welcome....I will never give up on pike, and sometimes he leaves you no choice but to respond sometimes....I will just keep sending love and light his way, despite all the attempts on his part to make others feel as bad about themselves as he feels about his life...And he hardly has a monopoly on this forum with regard to that modus operandi...

Sections
Shortcuts