A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II

Hello my Baseball Brothers!  I have been in Fort Myers Beach, Englewood, and Hudson Fla. on vacation over the last week--and out of touch.  Back today and watched most of the game and tried to catch up here.  Some random thoughts of an "anecdotal" nature.  The way we clubbed those guys today, I would be very careful about writing them off from making the playoffs.  If we can establish some pitching...watch out.  I was happy about the following: Papi hitting to the left side, Youk working the counts for walks and hitting the ball hard, Buch coming on strong, Ross's right handed bat, Agon interacting playfully with other players in the dugout.  As an add on to your Maddon comment Moon, I visited a friend in Fla. who has been involved with baseball his whole life and having moved to Fla. is now a season ticket holder of the Devil Rays.  I asked him what he thought of Maddon, and he said, "Those of us who go to all the home games love Maddon and think he's a motivator, but his moves often leave us scratching our heads."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I like Maddon. His "head-scratching" moves seem to work more often than not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

So here's a Maddon head scratcher I can't figure out. Why would you put the Papi shift on Gonzo when he's notorious for hitting the ball the other way? Farrell did the same thing in Toronto this week too. Are they just trying to get into his head a little bit, or am I missing obvious?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

Must be the stat field charts, carnie..I assume he is still more of a pull hitter than not...Since Gonzo hits balls the opposite way a lot, maybe they know that those balls are mostly in the air, and not on the ground though the left side...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II:
    [QUOTE]Must be the stat field charts, carnie..i assume he is still more of a pull hitter than not...Since Gonzo hits balls the opposite way a lot, maybe they know that those balls are mostly in the air, and not on the ground though the left side...
    Posted by teilhardian[/QUOTE]I hadn't thought of that. It seems likely.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II : I hadn't thought of that. It seems likely.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for making me feel like I have a baseball IQ.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thing is, he probably wouldn't tell us the true reason if asked.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Thing is, he probably wouldn't tell us the true reason if asked.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]Laughing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wink

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We're 1 behind the Yanks and Rays... not bad after that nasty start.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I think there's going to be a lot of beating each other up in this division this year. Right now I'm just hoping Felix can give us another start tomorrow like he did in Toronto. His curveball was filthy last time out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Carnie, speaking of curve balls, Buch looked pretty good today after he got it going.  I watched one inning where it seemed like everything he threw was off speed.  Go Doubie!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Carnie, speaking of curve balls, Buch looked pretty good today after he got it going.  I watched one inning where it seemed like everything he threw was off speed.  Go Doubie!
    Posted by Critter23[/QUOTE]Once he finally found the strike zone he was great. And I agree that his off speed stuff looked especially good. Felix looked like he had the best curve on the staff in his last start.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They both have some nasty stuff. Mixing it up and controlling it will be the issue. Pitch-calling and pitch location calling by our catchers may also be an important key to these two pitchers' success. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Well Brothers (This title seems somewhat reverential to me yet not too overboard in light of some repartee here last week.), we kicked some bootie again today!  Moon, your boy Ross is earning his paycheck so far--good call there.  And despite injuries, it seems guys are filling in nicely.  Just saw Repko make a great catch.  Scouting report:  Listening to KNBR pregame Giants this morning here in the Bay Area and one of the announcers was talking about a Red Sox scout at the Giants game supposedly scouting outfielders.  He supposed knew the scout and had a chat with him before the game and found out what he was doing.  I think we've got another game with these guys--hope we can sweep. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Who do you think we were scouting?

Melky Cabrera?
    Nate Schierholtz?
    Angel Pagan?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nice to see a win streak. Let's hope it's a long one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I think it'll be tough to sweep Tampa. Frankly I'm more than a little surprised we mashed their pitching the way we did this weekend. Moore especially was throwing the ball very well. It just seemed like our hitters, papi most conspicuously, have been squaring up every ball they've hit. Shields hasn't done well at Fenway, but he's a very good pitcher. Still, I'll hope for the best. A win tomorrow would put the Sox at .500.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]I think it'll be tough to sweep Tampa. Frankly I'm more than a little surprised we mashed their pitching the way we did this weekend. Moore especially was throwing the ball very well. It just seemed like our hitters, papi most conspicuously, have been squaring up every ball they've hit. Shields hasn't done well at Fenway, but he's a very good pitcher. Still, I'll hope for the best. A win tomorrow would put the Sox at .500.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't think I'd bet on bard beating Shields, but you never know.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Heh Crit! I spent the weekend in the bay area also. It is such a beautiful location. And a GREAT baseball area. If I were not a sox fan I think I could become a Giants fan. For some reason I can bring myself to be a Padres fan!

Didn't have access to the games this weekend but what is up with Papi. The guy is En Fuego!

BV messing with Youk shows just how hard it is to be politically correct in Fenway. Tito was an absolute master at that. Is there any doubt that BV is going to stub some toes along the way. Pedroia chiming in just really stands out. Already. Wow. We could be in for a ride.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah, it's not a great beginning for BV. Although Youk has had issues before, it's never been about his motivation, in fact, it might have been about him being too motivated and demonstrative.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]BV messing with Youk shows just how hard it is to be politically correct in Fenway. Tito was an absolute master at that. Is there any doubt that BV is going to stub some toes along the way. Pedroia chiming in just really stands out. Already. Wow. We could be in for a ride.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]Indeed. Bobby is certainly no where near as good a communicator as Tito. He pretty much is a disaster (or a joy if you are the media) when it comes to being the front guy for the franchise.

Whether it is this latest comment, how BV handled Beckett's exploration of his thumb or the absolute silliness of doing a weekly spot with Michael Kay and his defensive reaction to questions about it BV pails in comparison at the dealing with the media.

Maybe he wil figure it out but I tend to doubt it. And it is telling when Pedroia comes out and takes a position so quickly. This is will be entertaining talk radio all year. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Moon, no specific player was mentioned, but I doubt they would move Cabrera unless the deal was pretty big.  Just read in the Globe that no outside player would be picked up.  I do think Giants make a good trading partner for us--especially if we can get Hector, ha!  Their hitters are silent again and we can use pitching, so I would like to see some action.  OK, it's hard to imagine Youk getting called out for his effort unless BV was trying to "sting" him to get him going which may be in his repertoire, but we all know Youk.  But to be completely honest, I've been wondering about Youk this spring, he has been slow to get going, I wondered if his injuries were still bothering him, and he's been out and about socializing with his inlaws, a distraction?  Since Youk is my favorite player, I'm hoping this weekend is an omen for his getting back to his old self but I can see how "an outsider" might say, what's going on with him.  I don't know exactly what BV said, but the press does like to play up this stuff.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Drama like this is rarely ever good for a team.