A Realistic Look at 2012: Part III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part III

In response to A Realistic Look at 2012: Part III:

We are cruising for a top 10 draft pick from losing so many games. The best draft position in over 10 years is well within our reach!

Right now, we are currently at #11, but we are just...

1 loss from a tie for #7

2 losses from a tie for #6
    6 losses from a tie for #4

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

We are cruising for a top 10 draft pick from losing so many games. The best draft position in over 10 years is well within our reach!

Right now, we are currently at #11, but we are just...

1 loss from a tie for #7

2 losses from a tie for #6
    6 losses from a tie for #4

It's looking pretty good for a top pick. We should come in around #6 or 7 from the way things look right now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I hope they throw that pick at the best pitcher available. We will not have this option very often. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Well Moon, I should have let Salty finish out the next month as you suggested before I tried to trade him.  He has perked up a little lately, as he does when BV sits him for a game or two, but most of his numbers come from the first of the year.  I know what Ex is saying--his numbers look good totally but at the end of the summer he was flailing most of the time.

I wake up every day still amazed by this trade and the flexibility it gives us going forward.  Moon, I have a question for you and others.  It seems like most people are writing off next year but I don't see why we couldn't be strong competitors with the right moves.  If we rework our starting pitching and add a first baseman with power, what else do we really need?  With two better guys in our #1 and #2 spots and less injuries--hopefully the law of
    averages--don't we have to be better?

And how do you stand on BV going forward?  Sorry if you guys have discussed this over the summer.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Well Moon, I should have let Salty finish out the next month as you suggested before I tried to trade him.  He has perked up a little lately, as he does when BV sits him for a game or two, but most of his numbers come from the first of the year.  I know what Ex is saying--his numbers look good totally but at the end of the summer he was flailing most of the time. 

No doubt his offense took a tumble for a long stretch. However, his staff handling and defense improved a lot, and too me, that is about 90% of a catcher's value.

I wake up every day still amazed by this trade and the flexibility it gives us going forward.  Moon, I have a question for you and others.  It seems like most people are writing off next year but I don't see why we couldn't be strong competitors with the right moves.  If we rework our starting pitching and add a first baseman with power, what else do we really need?  

I am not writing off 2013. I also think Sox management will make at least one huge trade or signing... if only to sell tickets and TV viewership. 1st basemen are about the easiest players to find, and several teams have extras (or 3Bmen ready to make the late career move to 1B). 

I like Travis Shaw a lot, but he is 1-2 years away, so I'd be happy with a 1-2 year bridge signing.

With two better guys in our #1 and #2 spots and less injuries--hopefully the law of 
    averages--don't we have to be better? 

We need a top line staring pitcher to have a real chance in 2013. They are not easy to find.

And how do you stand on BV going forward?  Sorry if you guys have discussed this over the summer.   

I really don't have any serious issues with BV. If we get rid of him, I'd be OK. Same if we keep em.  All managers make mistakes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I read this intermittently (Is that a word?). It's totally annoying now that I can't figure out where I was when I last read this thread. But I still believe that any thread totally about the Red Sox should be bumped up since there are no other threads free from the nightmare we have to deal with on other threads.

"A Realistic Look" should rock on. IMO

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Russell Dent. Show Russell Dent's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

I read this intermittently (Is that a word?). It's totally annoying now that I can't figure out where I was when I last read this thread. But I still believe that any thread totally about the Red Sox should be bumped up since there are no other threads free from the nightmare we have to deal with on other threads.

The word you are looking for is "occasionally".

Thanks for the totally annoying part.  It is nice to see you occasionally comment in a field in which you are an expert.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

Where's my thesaurus when you need it?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Why do I have to log in every time I come to this site now?

Guys I was given two tickets by my son's boss to today's (9-1-12) Red Sox/Oakland game.  Hope we have better luck than last night.  There again, it appears if we just look all the young guys over and lose a few games, we'll get a better draft pick.  I'll keep my eyes open tonight and give you a full report tomorrow.  How did Iggy do last night?  I didn't see the game...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Have fun Crit. I'd love to see some Sox games on the left coast some day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'll be starting  "A Realistic Look at 2013: Part I" soon, although I don't see much of a reaisltic chance of us seriously competing in 2013. Maybe I should just jump ahead to 2014.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

How bout 2016 for Realistic?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Guys, my slant.  Last night's game looked like a couple I saw this summer before the big trade.
    The players looked lifeless, like zombies, going through the motions.  It just seemed dead.  I'm not saying they weren't trying but they look beat down.  I've seen bad teams play with spirit before but this team seems to be running on empty.  Pedey, Ciriaco, Aviles, and Salty got hits.
    Salty dropped a bunt in the fifth that broke up a  no hitter and then got booed for the rest of the game.

Individually...Doobie looked tired, lost, and frustrated like he wasn't getting the calls.  Salty went out a couple of times to talk to him, but I don't recall anyone else doing so.  He was pulled in the fourth or fifth.

Ciriaco looked lost at 3rd with one bad throw, and I don't think he covered third on at least the first steal of third.  More on that.

Bard came in late and gave up a homer and single.  Pedey came to the mound, gave him the ball, said something, and slapped him with his glove.  Bard struck out the next two and induced a fly to left.

There were lots of steals of 2nd and 3rd by the A's.  Pedey and Loney were working hard trying to hold the runners but the A's seemed to be stealing off the pitchers.  At first Aceves seemed to be trying to hold the runners, but then it was like nobody seemed to care if they ran or not.  I recall only one throw to 2nd and no throws to 3rd.

There was a popup in foul ground by the dugout and Salty, Loney, and Aceves all showed up at the same time.  It looked like Aceves ran into Salty and the ball dropped.  The papers here this morning say Pedey and Aceves got in a hollering match in the dugout after the inning.

This is me, but I think it's ok to lose in this situation but there should be learning and teaching going on.  BV came out of the dugout once when Ross hit the wall.  No trips to the mound, no cheerleading, etc.  I think we'll be getting a pretty high draft pick.  My apologies to anyone who saw the game, I include this account for people like myself who don't usually see the games on this coast.  If you did see the game, I would be interested in your take on it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Moon, I performed a marriage two years ago for my son's boss and his wife and didn't charge anything so they always try to reward me from time to time.  They have these season tickets six rows from 3rd base which they would let me have anytime.  If the RS are playing here next spring--before I leave on June 10 or so--you would be welcome to come out for a series.  It might be fun to check out the "new look."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Heh Crit!

This is boom with a new name. Didn't want to keep the company in the middle of some heated discussions. 

I saw the game on TV and agree completely. You left out Lavarnway's hit to RF but no biggie. The team is in near total meltdown. Hard to imagine this ever happening to the team we've been watching for the past 10 years. I'm not seeing BV come back next year. What a disaster. With such a talented roster no less. Personally, I hope they mend the fence with Francona and bring him back. He was great at shielding the players from the press, possibly the most important aspect of that job in Boston.

It's a $100 flight to Oakland from here a most but every time we play Oakland it seems to have a bad outcome. Something tells me we do ok today though. DiceK goes 2 for 2. I want to be positive. I really do. I know you do also. Let's go on a season ending run...at least in Oakland!

I do want that top 5 draft pick!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Another realistic look:  The Yankees might not make the playoffs.   LOL

The A's, Tigers, Rays, and O's are getting hot. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wow! Thanks for the invite, Crit. I'll check the schedule when it comes out. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Boom, Hey!  I've been asking for you!  Do I call you "Prospects" now?  Great name for you but I think you're Boom to me.  Guess in the next year or so we'll be calling on your expertise in regards to the young fellas coming along.  Well Dice-K didn't turn the trick today.  Looks like we're in one of those places where many other teams have been and we're just have to go through it.  I'm glad we go rid of the big contracts.  BC is going to have to suck it up  and rebuild.  Glad to see you on here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

Yes!!  2016

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

Yes!!  2016

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Crit, we need you to bring some of those Frisco area pitchers east! Some of those Oakland throwers who didn't seem like much in the minors and then blosom into 3.20 era guys in the majors! We need em bad!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We should have gone hard for Gio last year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It's ridiculous how Oakland keeps putting a good staff out there with next to no money. I recognize that the park is a huge factor and their team defense is overall good ( I haven't looked it up but it seems to be good overall to me just from observation ). We hire their pitching coach and we get nowhere. It must be the water.

I absolutely agree on Gio. What a pick up he turned out to be and you were all over that Moon. I didn't think he would turn out to be that good but he proved to be huge for the Nationals. And he's still only 26. That's exactly the kind of guy we want and need going forward.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

It's ridiculous how Oakland keeps putting a good staff out there with next to no money. I recognize that the park is a huge factor and their team defense is overall good ( I haven't looked it up but it seems to be good overall to me just from observation ). We hire their pitching coach and we get nowhere. It must be the water.

I absolutely agree on Gio. What a pick up he turned out to be and you were all over that Moon. I didn't think he would turn out to be that good but he proved to be huge for the Nationals. And he's still only 26. That's exactly the kind of guy we want and need going forward.

I really like Brett Anderson this winter, and think he can be pried away from Oakland. They can't even afford this:

13:$5.5M, 14:$8M club option ($1.5M buyout),15:$12M club option ($1.5M buyout) 

I'd offer Salty, Doubront, Iggy, and Melancon.
    Or, maybe Lava, Doubbie and Aviles.
    (They need a catcher and SS)

I'd also try hard for Gallardo from the Brewers. I'd offer Ellsbury, Aceves, Doubront, & Aviles for Yovani.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Well, searching for my real old posts seems impossible, yet, I'd like to post something which I said juat about the time Valentine was hired on.

I said at that time that BV would not succeed because of the different psychological approach between Japanese and USA phylosophy comcerning players,  In Japan,  respect is automatic, whereas in the USA respect must be earned.

It doesn't seem BV has the respect of any players.

Bobby expects his 'old-time Japanese' approach will work.  I think that after almost a full season has not lived up to  its expectency. In ssesnce, Bobby must go.

g\\

\

Sections
Shortcuts