A Realistic Look at 2012: Part III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part III

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part III:
    [QUOTE]Apparently my link post didn't go active for some reason. The new CBA. Here it is again: http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf
    Posted by RedsoxProspects[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. I read as much as I thought covered the question and found nothing to indicate we'd get 2 picks for Ellsbury. It appears we get a sandwich pick and the team signing him would lose a pick, but it doesn't say we get their pick too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Moon, we both know I'm not infallible but I'm not seeing that 2nd pick in the CBA. Maybe in my quick read I missed it. Someone will check it. Even me later if necessary.

I'm not totally against Grienke but McCarthy is suspect to me. Peavy if he is a value. Sanchez is the best of that lot in terms of value maybe but we will see. 

Gotta go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part III : How is it you can say it all so succinctly, when it takes me 10 paragraphs to say the same thing? ;)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    But you said it FIRST. I have been trying to play off your great putt, so to speak.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So, you are nothing but a great summarizer?

(LOL)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]So, you are nothing but a great summarizer? (LOL)
    I summarize or plagiarize only the best.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What's the estimate on contract/yrs for...

Greinke 
    Anibel Sanchez
    Jake Peavy
    Brandon McCarthy

Jeremie Guthrie
    Colby Lewis
    Shaun Marcum

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]Moon,  I seriously think they should stretch Tazawa back out again this offseason and put him in the rotation for 2013, or at least let him compete for a spot...With a consistant 94-96mph FB his offspeed stuff, which was already + stuff, will be and is that much better...I just got a feeling about him since hes had TJS and how good hes looked... I agree 100% and take it a step further. We should have kept bard in the Pen and Taz as a starter. It's much easier to slide Taz from starter to long relief than back from relief to starter, so I think he should go back to starting this offseason/ST.

" We should have kept bard in the Pen"

Yes, but.....while that's certainly true in retrospect (I'm not accusing you of hindsight, Moon, it's just a fact), and while some claim foresight when they predicted failure due to his years previous minor league experience....starters are far more valuable than relievers, he had excelled as a reliever and he wanted to start.  I think it was worth trying and probably had to happen if they were unwilling to annoint Bard as closer.  Why was that, BTW?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

They were going with Bailey. Bard back in the pen next year. Maybe with his buddy Miller.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

" We should have kept bard in the Pen"

Yes, but.....while that's certainly true in retrospect (I'm not accusing you of hindsight, Moon, it's just a fact), and while some claim foresight when they predicted failure due to his years previous minor league experience....starters are far more valuable than relievers, he had excelled as a reliever and he wanted to start.  I think it was worth trying and probably had to happen if they were unwilling to annoint Bard as closer.  Why was that, BTW?

I'm on record as being against the move the minute I heard of it. Losing Papelbon then moving Bard to starter was wrong timing.

I undertsand the reason they did it, but just as they traded Youk to make him happy rather than what was in the best interest of the team, I think trying to "make Bard happy" was counter to what was best for the team. I said it then, and I'm saying it now. Even if Bard was mildly succesful as a starter, he was never going to give us 180+ IP and 32+ starts, so we'd have been short a strter at some point anyways.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Is it time to see what we can get on waiver deals for our Free Agents to be?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Very few of our FA will clear waivers, or at least the ones we want to clear waivers.I would think. Crawford cleared waivers. Some of our high priced guys might clear waivers. We blew it at the deadline.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Very few of our FA will clear waivers, or at least the ones we want to clear waivers.I would think. Crawford cleared waivers. Some of our high priced guys might clear waivers. We blew it at the deadline.

Shoppach is wanted.

Ross is wanted.

Cook?

Padilla (DL)?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Who would have bet that Youk would out HR Middlebrooks this year?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Who would have bet that Youk would out HR Middlebrooks this year?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]Who would have bet that Middlebrooks would get hit on the wrist by a 96 mph fastball? That being said I am almost ready to give up on this season. Losing Middlebrooks really hurts. The Sox should have CC get his TJ surgery soon so he can be ready for spring training. They should shut Papi down for a while too, at least until we need him against the Yanks. We do still have a chance to take the season series from the Yanks though, and I'd like to see Bobby go for it there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part III : Who would have bet that Middlebrooks would get hit on the wrist by a 96 mph fastball? That being said I am almost ready to give up on this season. Losing Middlebrooks really hurts. The Sox should have CC get his TJ surgery soon so he can be ready for spring training. They should shut Papi down for a while too, at least until we need him against the Yanks. We do still have a chance to take the season series from the Yanks though, and I'd like to see Bobby go for it there.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Agree, especially on CC getting surgery ASAP.

I'd shut Pedey down too.

Don't overuse Doubront or Morales.

I'd waiver wire deal Ross, Shoppach and Cook, then Padilla when he comes off the DL. (Tell them all, "Thank you very much, and we will talk to you this winter about a future deal".)

Bring up the kids...

C:    Lava / Salty
    1B:  AGon/ Gomez
    2B:  Ciriaco/ Aviles
    3B:  Gomez/ Aviles
    SS:  Iggy / Ciriaco
    LF:  Linares/Nava
    CF:  Ellsbury/Pods
    RF:  Kalish/Lin
    DH: Gomez/Lava/Nava

SP: Buchholtz
    SP: Lester
    SP: Beckett
    SP: Morales/Doubront
    SP: Stewart

RP: Bailey
    RP: Aceves
    RP: Breslow
    RP: Miller
    RP: Tazawa
    RP: Mortensen
    RP: Melancon 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Very few of our FA will clear waivers, or at least the ones we want to clear waivers.I would think. Crawford cleared waivers. Some of our high priced guys might clear waivers. We blew it at the deadline.
    Posted by RedsoxProspects[/QUOTE]

If someone claims one, we try to make a trade or just let them have them, and they will pay the rest of their deal, perhaps putting us under the luxury limit for 2012.

Teams who claim guys that will be FAs this winter are contenders who do so to try and improve their team for a playoff run. They realize a deal would have to be worked out, especially for a guy like Ross, and if a deal is not worked out, the Sox can always pull the player back off waivers- no deal.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'd bring up Bradley and Bogaerts over Lin and Kalish. They both have good enough arms to play right. Or Bogaerts could play in Aviles spot and we could deal him too. I'd really like to see Bradley against major league pitching, especially if there's a chance Ellsbury gets dealt in the off season, and I kind of think Bogaerts bat could play in the majors. Although Lianres can play Center too. I'm just not sure Kalish is going to hit.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]I'd bring up Bradley and Bogaerts over Lin and Kalish. They both have good enough arms to play right. Or Bogaerts could play in Aviles spot and we could deal him too. I'd really like to see Bradley against major league pitching, especially if there's a chance Ellsbury gets dealt in the off season, and I kind of think Bogaerts bat could play in the majors. Although Lianres can play Center too. I'm just not sure Kalish is going to hit.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

I know there are examples of young studs making their mark at young ages around MLB today, but I think Bradley and Bogaerts might be a bit too green for a call-up now, but you could be right. If they came up and did great, we might have a better fix on what to do next year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Tony C was 19 when he came up from A ball. He did all right.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

It's really not important, but I called the move to make Bard a starter TERRIBLE from DAY ONE.

Actually, I compared it to the Yankees moving Joba around.

At the time Bard was moved to starter, I feared it could jeopardize his career.  I do still feel the same way.

We had a great running clock and we broke it all because he 'wanted' so bad to be a starter. 

Shame on Bard, his agent, and Red Sox management.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Tony C was 19 when he came up from A ball. He did all right.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Yes, he did, but there are countless examples of young players rushed to the majors who failed.

Look, I'm with you. I think we wait too long with our kids, in general, and we don't usually have opportunities like this (Out of it in mid-August) to try things like this.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's really not important, but I called the move to make Bard a starter TERRIBLE from DAY ONE.

I did too, especially after Papelbon bolted.

Actually, I compared it to the Yankees moving Joba around.

At the time Bard was moved to starter, I feared it could jeopardize his career.  I do still feel the same way.

We had a great running clock and we broke it all because he 'wanted' so bad to be a starter.  

Shame on Bard, his agent, and Red Sox management.
    I can't blame Bard & his agent. I do blame Sox management

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part III : If someone claims one, we try to make a trade or just let them have them, and they will pay the rest of their deal, perhaps putting us under the luxury limit for 2012. Teams who claim guys that will be FAs this winter are contenders who do so to try and improve their team for a playoff run. They realize a deal would have to be worked out, especially for a guy like Ross, and if a deal is not worked out, the Sox can always pull the player back off waivers- no deal.

I'm all for giving it a try. Hopefully it works at least some of the time. It should.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

[QUOTE]It's really not important, but I called the move to make Bard a starter TERRIBLE from DAY ONE. Actually, I compared it to the Yankees moving Joba around. At the time Bard was moved to starter, I feared it could jeopardize his career.  I do still feel the same way. We had a great running clock and we broke it all because he 'wanted' so bad to be a starter.  Shame on Bard, his agent, and Red Sox management.
    Posted by ampoule[/QUOTE]

It looks like that was a great call amp! They never really got a solution last winter after all the effort. I think they have learned their lesson though. They are drafting a lot of starters now and in many trades are getting starters back. Starters are at a premium going forward.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

This is a new world for us on this board. We haven't been in this situation since before this forum was established. It's not nearly as much fun! We all would much rather be in a winning situation.