A Realistic Look At 2013: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Re: A Realistic Look At 2013: Part I

A huge issue for us, in my opinion at least, is what we can expect from Ortiz. We have hgh testing this year right and the toughest overall regimen of drug testing in baseball history. Recent scandals regarding quite a few more dominican players. Ortiz now has a 2 year deal. If there is any chance he was using something, would he take the chance of doing it again in 2013? Was the heel issue real for sure considering everything else which was going down at that time last year ( Arod, Melky...etc. ).

I'm not confident Ortiz is going to continue to be a stud. If he is not we have very little chance of winning this year. If guys like Ortiz are not mega studs again, this team probably is second rate again. If Ortiz has a slow start and then has an injury, that will pretty much confirm the situation in my mind. Or just a long slump like he had a few years ago. All the indicators are there. If you really look at the data in depth and have an objective approach to it. 

I sure hope I'm wrong. I really like the guy, even if he was using I still like the guy. I just make decisions based upon objective data and the numbers and overall situation do not give me confidence.

People here will find fault with me for even speculating but there were reports he was using before right. He did have a career ephiphany at around the same career stage Melky decided to be a user ( when Ortiz came over from Minnesota he went from zero to hero). He was best friend with fellow Dominican and known user Manny. Frequents a gym in the DR with know connections to steroids and such. Out of site numbers during the steroid era. Steroids legal in the DR. Over 50% of ped users caught have Dominican connections. Personally, I wouldn't have given him a 2 year contract.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

A huge issue for us, in my opinion at least, is what we can expect from Ortiz. We have hgh testing this year right and the toughest overall regimen of drug testing in baseball history. Recent scandals regarding quite a few more dominican players. Ortiz now has a 2 year deal. If there is any chance he was using something, would he take the chance of doing it again in 2013? Was the heel issue real for sure considering everything else which was going down at that time last year ( Arod, Melky...etc. ).

I'm not confident Ortiz is going to continue to be a stud. If he is not we have very little chance of winning this year. If guys like Ortiz are not mega studs again, this team probably is second rate again. If Ortiz has a slow start and then has an injury, that will pretty much confirm the situation in my mind. Or just a long slump like he had a few years ago. All the indicators are there. If you really look at the data in depth and have an objective approach to it. 

I sure hope I'm wrong. I really like the guy, even if he was using I still like the guy. I just make decisions based upon objective data and the numbers and overall situation do not give me confidence.

People here will find fault with me for even speculating but there were reports he was using before right. He did have a career ephiphany at around the same career stage Melky decided to be a user ( when Ortiz came over from Minnesota he went from zero to hero). He was best friend with fellow Dominican and known user Manny. Frequents a gym in the DR with know connections to steroids and such. Out of site numbers during the steroid era. Steroids legal in the DR. Over 50% of ped users caught have Dominican connections. Personally, I wouldn't have given him a 2 year contract.

When we extended Papi for 2 years, I thought we were going to make a strong push to win in 2013.

After seeing who we signed, I do not see the merit in Papi extension. 

Papi should retire in a Sox uniform, but I don't think this halfway stuff is not going to make him too happy either. He must be thrilled to have Naps hitting behind him now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

If there were ever a player the RS owed a contract to, it was Ortiz. While he may not live up to his standard the next 2 yrs. That contract is pd in full already. Think of all the $ pissed away by RS on bad contracts Jenks - CC - Lackey - Dice K have no problem w/ the Ortiz deal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Agreed that Ortiz earned the contract. I hope he doesn't tank in the next 2 years though, or start having a ton of injury issues. It's a huge factor in the 2013 hopes of this team and if there is a question mark going into this year, Ortiz is it. We really have no idea what we are going to get there. He could be a monster again or he could go into a steep swan dive. We will see and yes I do hope for the best.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

If there were ever a player the RS owed a contract to, it was Ortiz. While he may not live up to his standard the next 2 yrs. That contract is pd in full already. Think of all the $ pissed away by RS on bad contracts Jenks - CC - Lackey - Dice K have no problem w/ the Ortiz deal.

+1

When you look at the other contracts offered/signed this off-season, it is hard to deny Ortiz two years. Napoli has the potential to make $13M. Not sure that I would place Victorino for 3 years in the same category as Ortiz for 2 years, but they are getting paid the same. Victorino showed a serious slip last year, while Papi showed a renaissance on his "new diet". Let's hope it was the diet and he crushes the ball!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree.

I feel worse for Papi than for the team. It would have been nice to go out a winner, but that option was not a good one with this weak FA crop.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

John Lackey is now the highest paid Red Sox.  Geez.  LOL

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

As Red Sox fans. let's hope that Lackey is over his personal problems and his injuries. Right?

He should be over both after the lengthy recovery time.

I'm hoping for the best.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Well, I said I'd try to be more positive, but over the last few days I've been reading the previews of the positions in the Globe, infield, outfield, etc.  I find these sort of shocking when you actually look at the players.   Once again I would ask this question:  Who would you choose to hang your hat on as a semi-sure thing to anchor the team this year?  As you move around the field:  3rd, coming off injury, SS, new to team and coming off injury, 2nd, coming off injury, first, new to team and evidently has injury with impact on future, L, new to team, very low defensive rating and only hits righties, CF, coming off injury and has played about 50% of time the last couple of years, R, good D but offensive numbers going down, DH, coming off injury and 37 (?) which may be more important than PED use, C, not that great defensively.

Who do you say "This is our rock"?  Our Cano?  Our Trout?  Our Posey?  If I had to choose, I might guess our 2nd or 3rd basemen, but that's no sure thing.  Once again, I know I sound negative and I don't want to and I'm not trying to dump on my team, but just looking at these guys realistically, you know that it takes some people more than a year to get back to their expected level of play after an injury, it takes time for new players to mesh, etc. 

That's how I'm feeling this morning.  When ST starts, I'll be rootin' for 'em.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

The Lackey I remember pre RS was gritty, won 12-15 games, and pitched pretty well in big games and had numbers not dissimiliar to our buddy Beckett's.  I think if he is healthy, he can give us those types of numbers again.  I don't want to go fishing with him or anything.  Sometimes we all need a new start.  I'm hoping.  Hey Boom, am I sounding like Polly here or what?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Critter23's comment:

Well, I said I'd try to be more positive, but over the last few days I've been reading the previews of the positions in the Globe, infield, outfield, etc.  I find these sort of shocking when you actually look at the players.   Once again I would ask this question:  Who would you choose to hang your hat on as a semi-sure thing to anchor the team this year?  As you move around the field:  3rd, coming off injury, SS, new to team and coming off injury, 2nd, coming off injury, first, new to team and evidently has injury with impact on future, L, new to team, very low defensive rating and only hits righties, CF, coming off injury and has played about 50% of time the last couple of years, R, good D but offensive numbers going down, DH, coming off injury and 37 (?) which may be more important than PED use, C, not that great defensively.

Who do you say "This is our rock"?  Our Cano?  Our Trout?  Our Posey?  If I had to choose, I might guess our 2nd or 3rd basemen, but that's no sure thing.  Once again, I know I sound negative and I don't want to and I'm not trying to dump on my team, but just looking at these guys realistically, you know that it takes some people more than a year to get back to their expected level of play after an injury, it takes time for new players to mesh, etc. 

That's how I'm feeling this morning.  When ST starts, I'll be rootin' for 'em.

I hear you loud and clear. I can't wait for the games to begin. I miss baseball dearly.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to Critter23's comment:

The Lackey I remember pre RS was gritty, won 12-15 games, and pitched pretty well in big games and had numbers not dissimiliar to our buddy Beckett's.  I think if he is healthy, he can give us those types of numbers again.  I don't want to go fishing with him or anything.  Sometimes we all need a new start.  I'm hoping.  Hey Boom, am I sounding like Polly here or what?

Go Polly!

I can't wait for the season to start either. I would love to go to Spring Training this year like "Jidge" wasn't it. Now that would be fun. Seeing all the new guys and the prospects like JBJ and Bogaerts ( at least in minor league camp ). 

To me, the thing to remember with Lackey is that when guys come back from TJ surgery they often have some control problems but they also can sometimes see a couple MPH boost in their fastball. I think Lackey pitched hurt for years. We could well see a major contributor to the rotation from this guy. He was a bulldog. We need that guy to show up this year and I really think he will.

Crit, I offer Pollyanna lessons here daily for free and that is not going to stop anytime soon but we could all use the help so keep Polly here when I'm offline OK! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Boom, I leave on the 19th and will see every game at Jet Blue and even a couple at the Twins' park, God willin'. Last year I did not have much computer access while I was there, hopefully this year will be a little better.

When Lackey first came to the Sox, even in Spring Training, he had the best control on the team, but the late life was not there on his fastball and his breaking pitches also lacked the bite they needed to be effective. Both of those are symptoms of an arm injury. He was actually on a throwing program late last summer so it's not unrealistic to expect him to be a big help this year. If you look at him and Dempster taking DiceK's and Cook's starts, we should be better. But we will only go as far as the two "aces" take us; Lester and Buch both need to rebound in a big way. Does any of that sound pollyanna enough?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Boom, I leave on the 19th and will see every game at Jet Blue and even a couple at the Twins' park, God willin'. Last year I did not have much computer access while I was there, hopefully this year will be a little better.

When Lackey first came to the Sox, even in Spring Training, he had the best control on the team, but the late life was not there on his fastball and his breaking pitches also lacked the bite they needed to be effective. Both of those are symptoms of an arm injury. He was actually on a throwing program late last summer so it's not unrealistic to expect him to be a big help this year. If you look at him and Dempster taking DiceK's and Cook's starts, we should be better. But we will only go as far as the two "aces" take us; Lester and Buch both need to rebound in a big way. Does any of that sound pollyanna enough?

I'd love to hear your daily ST updates.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Jidge...we envy you man! Get some photos and videos of the prospects if you can!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I started a Part II thread. See you there.