A Realistic Look At 2013: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: A Realistic Look At 2013: Part I

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I looked at Loney's career stats, it's "okay" and not "bad".  

Twice he had seasons with at least 90 RBIs and in 2008 and 2009, he batted .280 and better.

[/QUOTE]

But that was 3+ years ago...

[/QUOTE]

It was 5+ years ago Ortiz hit 30+ 100+ .....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I looked at Loney's career stats, it's "okay" and not "bad".  

Twice he had seasons with at least 90 RBIs and in 2008 and 2009, he batted .280 and better.

[/QUOTE]

But that was 3+ years ago...

[/QUOTE]

It was 5+ years ago Ortiz hit 30+ 100+ .....

[/QUOTE]

But 30 -90 is not that bad either.

23 to 32 HRs for 5 straight years. 89 to 102 RBIs for 4 straight years before 2012. There are guys getting more than $12M a year for that right now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

I supported BV as a managerial choice and have been quite stunned by how it turned out.  I't made me realize that "fantasizing" about running a team and actually having that job are two different things.  I hope this next choice goes better for all concerned.  I like hearing the names Farrell-Ausmus-Tek for one reason--all have worked in the pitching/catching game and that is where it seems we really have to put the future focus.

Look, I'm just playing with an idea here so please don't anyone have a cardiac infarction.  One name no one mentions is Francona.  Is this just something that can't happen, "You can't ever go home again" type of thing?  I mean Billy Martin did go back a few times.  And lets look at it this way: some if not all of last year's malcontents are gone or could soon be, the team is going to have a lot of new, young players, I'm sure Pedey would love him back, he has to look pretty good to management after this year, he may have learned from his experience, and he did a lot of great things in his first eight or nine years.  He already knows a lot of the guys coming...could this ever work?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to Critter23's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I supported BV as a managerial choice and have been quite stunned by how it turned out.  I't made me realize that "fantasizing" about running a team and actually having that job are two different things.  I hope this next choice goes better for all concerned.  I like hearing the names Farrell-Ausmus-Tek for one reason--all have worked in the pitching/catching game and that is where it seems we really have to put the future focus.

Look, I'm just playing with an idea here so please don't anyone have a cardiac infarction.  One name no one mentions is Francona.  Is this just something that can't happen, "You can't ever go home again" type of thing?  I mean Billy Martin did go back a few times.  And lets look at it this way: some if not all of last year's malcontents are gone or could soon be, the team is going to have a lot of new, young players, I'm sure Pedey would love him back, he has to look pretty good to management after this year, he may have learned from his experience, and he did a lot of great things in his first eight or nine years.  He already knows a lot of the guys coming...could this ever work?

[/QUOTE]

I doubt very much that Tito would want to work for the same group that treated him so badly after he was out the door last year. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tito is no Billy Martin and the Sox are no Yanks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]

Tito is no Billy Martin and the Sox are no Yanks.

[/QUOTE]

And we shouldn't want FrancoMa back under any circumstances.  He is the one who created the nursery in the clubhouse mindset---and then the team turned on him and left him high and dry.  We won't miss Valentine either; I was as wrong about the guy as I could be but going back to a guy like Fetch FrancoMa isn't going to cut it either since we should all know by now that he was about three sandwiches short of a picnic as a strategist in the dugout who routinely cost us between 8-12 games a year----more if we believe what our old friend Tchanra said back in '07.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I agree. Bogarts must go... he clearly is someone who cannot help the team when things get tough and Farrell attented Tito's school of managing. Omar Vizquel has already complained about the exact same problems that brough our team down last year.

RED FLAGS!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Yeah, I didn't think the Tito idea would be popular.  I think the idea of Tito and FO being too entrenched in last year's ending and butt hurt is the big negative and in clearing the decks, everyone wants to start fresh.  I wouldn't mind the RS checking out the Texas pitching coach.  I think he dropped out of the Cubs' search last year, but with Texas losing tonight, maybe he would consider a move.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I will be happy to see him in Cleveland, and will root for him to do well. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brawny27. Show Brawny27's posts

What is th Red Sox first move this offseason?....,Besides the obvious choosing a Manager that would fit with this team, they need good starting pitching! Ben get the red sox at least 2 GOOD starters,resign Ortiz,resign Ross.....etc. Should be busy offseason!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I have no problem with Tito coming back. Relatively few of the players he coached will be here by that time!

JK!

Anyway, whoever it is needs to be able to take the pressure off the players and deal with the media. Call me crazy but maybe ........Ortiz!

The Bill Russell of baseball! Heh, I'm kidding here but don't be surprised if David Ortiz doesn't become a managr someday. Just not anytime soon!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The priority has to be startig pitching. At least 1 stud and hopefully 2. And I absolutely support signing Kuroda. It is a short term deal but with pitching that is OK with guys his age especially. He would be happy as heck with a 2 year deal IMO. And it hurts the Yanks. I'm telling you, if Kuroda is not in the picture, someone doesn't have their thinking cap on in Fenway. I don't care if he costs as much as $18 mil/year. Signing him hurts the Yanks and helps us. If we can't sign him, at least make the Yanks spend more cash to keep him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Some interesting notes on Vinicio from the "scouting the Sally" guy!

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/red-sox-jose-vinicios-value-on-the-upswing/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In his 5 years in the majors, Kuroda hasn't had a single year with an ERA above 3.73. And he had a 3.32 in the AL East last year in 219 innings. I'm making that guy an offer!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The question is are we in rebuilding mode or not? Of course we are but why not give ourselves a chance to win also. We have the cash. We are the Redsox. This would inherently be a short term deal. We can play some kids and let them develop still but why not at least give us a chance at winning. If Lackey comes back strong and we have a Kuroda, Lester and Buchholz in the fold we have a good chance at a very solid rotation. Guys like Doubront and Morales at 5 and 6. Maybe they add a Sanchez or Jackson. We have a chance at a Tampa Bay level rotation with maybe a better lineup also.

Starting pitching is the key signing this winter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Tazawa could give us some depth also. I'd put him in the pen as the setup guy though with hopefully Bard back in the groove and the rest of the pen doing well. Aceves is probably gone but as the flexible, rubber armed 5th and 6th inning guy I have no problem with him. As long as he is not a disaster in the clubhouse. Which he might well be.

I wouldn't break the bank for Cody Ross but if available at a reasonable price fine. We shouldn't overestimate his value though and start offering him $10 mil a year. He's not that level of guy.

With Ellsbury back, Pedroia healthy, Middlebrooks knocking maybe 30 HR, maybe Ortiz back or certainly someone in that slot capable of producing and we should be able to land some kind of 1st base prospect or veteran capable of better numbers than Loney. If our starting pitching improves greatly, which it should be capable of doing, we have a chance of a competitive team even in 2013. We should be able to get better offensive production from the OF in 2013. It's not hopeless and it shouldn't cost a fortune to change this team for the better.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I know it's risky, as I'm not a guy who likes to take a chance with substance abuse players, but Hamilton is not completely out of the question to me, hopefully with a substance abuse clause in his contract. The guy has put up some of the best numbers in baseball and he's not a bad defender even in RF, but would preferably be decent in LF. We have the money and he may not break the bank, especially if we can sign him short term. He changes this team offensively and there are not many guys out there like that.

Just saying I'd at least kick that tire.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Don't we need a solid pitching coach too?

I was upset to see Curt Young go back to Oakland after the 2011 season.  Curt Young helped guide Oakland's pitching staff to the best ERA in the AL in 2010.

This year, Curt Young has done a great job again with Oakland's "rookie" pitching staff.    

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

soxprospects put de la Rosa 5th behind Webster at 4th.

The Dodger deal looks better and better every time I think of it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree moon. Just moving the salary might well have been worth it. And we look like we got a lot of talent back.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree moon. Just moving the salary might well have been worth it. And we look like we got a lot of talent back.

[/QUOTE]

I said on the day of the trade that I'd have done the deal for no players in return. That was how much I valued dumping CC and Punto's contracts and to a slightly lesser extent, Beckett's.

Anything these guys do is icing on a pretty nice cake to begin with.

Since our biggest farm weakness was in near MLB ready pitching, gaining Webster and de la Rosa really balanced our farm system from top to bottom- position by position.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

On another thread, I worked out how many wins we had when scoring or allowing a specific amount of runs as compared to the AL average. I found that we lost 13 more games than the league average due to pitching and defense, and 5 more due to offense. 

Had we won the league average when scoring or allowing the amount of runs we did, we'd have had 87 wins not 69.

This does not figure in anything to do with the fact that we had less low scoring pitching performances than the league and more high scoring offensive performances than the league. It is based only on expected wins by AL norms when scoring and allowing certain amounts of runs per game. (See: "Facts are Facts" thread)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm not sure why we are thinking Farrell is the answer.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Since being anointed The Best Team Ever in March 2011, the Red Sox lineup has lost Adrian Gonzalez, Kevin Youkilis, Carl Crawford, J.D. Drew, Marco Scutaro and Jason Varitek. The future of David Ortiz remains uncertain.

That's up to seven talented hitters to replace in a lineup of nine position players.

The Boston pitching staff has clear shortcomings, but the Sox problems don't end there.

25. This post has been removed.