A Realistic Look At 2013: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: A Realistic Look At 2013: Part I

In response to pike's comment:
    [QUOTE]Youk lost his skills, replaced by Middlebrooks

Drew and Tek retired, replaced by Ross and Salty / Lavarnway

Gonzalez and Crawford were too expensive, Payroll freed up

Scutaro wrongly let go, lots of SS coming up, Avilles sufficed

Ortiz talks begin next week, he has less bargaining power now with no mandatory arbitration and his lingering injury.[/QUOTE]
    In other words, the Red Sox will replace the talented hitters with hitters who are unlikely to match the production of their predecessors in the prime of each predecessor.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...he has less bargaining power now with no mandatory arbitration ...

There was no "mandatory arbitration" last year either. We voluntarily offered it to him, and he  nearly turned it down.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How's this one?

Trade: Doubront, Aceves, Melancon, Aviles, Sweeney, Bogaerts, Bradley, Brentz, Ranaudo, & de la Cruz

To Milwuakee

For:

Ryan Braun 13: $12M, 14: $13.5M, 15: $15.5,  $16:$19M, 17:$19M, 18:$19M, 19:$18M, 20:$16M, 21:$15M mutual option ($4M buyout)

Yovani Gallargo 13:$7.75M, 14:$11.25M, 15:$13M club option ($0.6M buyout)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pike's comment:
    [QUOTE]Youk lost his skills, replaced by Middlebrooks

Ortiz talks begin next week, he has less bargaining power now with no mandatory arbitration and his lingering injury.[/QUOTE]
    In other words, the Red Sox will replace the talented hitters with hitters who are unlikely to match the production of their predecessors in the prime of each predecessor.

[/QUOTE]

We'll have to wait until these young players are in their prime to answer these questions.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How's this one?

Trade: Doubront, Aceves, Melancon, Aviles, Sweeney, Bogaerts, Bradley, Brentz, Ranaudo, & de la Cruz

To Milwuakee

For:

Ryan Braun 13: $12M, 14: $13.5M, 15: $15.5,  $16:$19M, 17:$19M, 18:$19M, 19:$18M, 20:$16M, 21:$15M mutual option ($4M buyout)

Yovani Gallargo 13:$7.75M, 14:$11.25M, 15:$13M club option ($0.6M buyout)

[/QUOTE]

10 players for 2? Doubront Bradly Bogaerts and Brentz should do it...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

How's this one?

To Milwuakee

For:

Yovani Gallardo 13:$7.75M, 14:$11.25M, 15:$13M club option ($0.6M buyout)

[/QUOTE]

10 players for 2? Doubront Bradly Bogaerts and Brentz should do it...

[/QUOTE]

Well, Aviles, Sweeney and Melancon are marginal assets. Gallardo alone is worth more than just 2 of the 4 you listed. I actually think Milwaukee would say no to my offer, but might make a counter offer close to what I suggested. They may wany Webster or de la Rosa instead of or along with Ranaudo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

But, many of these guys listed were long removed from their "primes" and CC never had a good year with the Sox, so "replacing" him and some others on this list were and can be clear improvements.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

5 guys rated in the top 50! (3 in the top 24)

Bogaerts, barnes, Bradley, Webster & Owens.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The first big decision will be Papi.

If Papi comes back, we may trade Salty.

Next, is the trade Ellsbury decision.

Finding FA that fit into our longer term plan is important, but will come after these 2 choices.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Hello moonslav59   :)

Do you think Boston should go after Napoli?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Moon, I really don't think this is the time to move Ellsbury. I hear your logic regarding his worth to other teams with regard to the draft pick, and that is an excellent point. But he is coming off another injury plagued year where he underperformed, therefore deflating his value. The Sox may be better served by having him play out his "contract year" here, hopefully have a monster year, and then take their chances on signing him (which I feel is unlikely), or just taking the extra draft pick themselves. Rather than going out to find a bridge to Bradley, we use Ells. If healthy, he's far better than anyone we could grab as a bridge in center.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hello moonslav59   :)

Do you think Boston should go after Napoli?

[/QUOTE]

NO.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...he is coming off another injury plagued year where he underperformed, therefore deflating his value. The Sox may be better served by having him play out his "contract year" here, hopefully have a monster year, and then take their chances on signing him (which I feel is unlikely), or just taking the extra draft pick themselves.

If he has a great year elsewhere in 2013, we can still sign him as a FA, although that would be highly likely.

We need to look at 2014 and beyong, and Ellsbury will not be in that picture. What we get in return for him can be.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

If we trade Ellbsury for prospects this winter it would be like taking out a route 128 billboard saying "We are mailing the season in this year". Move along, nothing to see here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

If we trade Ellbsury for prospects this winter it would be like taking out a route 128 billboard saying "We are mailing the season in this year". Move along, nothing to see here.

[/QUOTE]

In a sense we already did that by trading AGon and Beckett.

Also, if we trade Ellsbury for prospects, then trade prospects for J Upton, Brett Anderson, and then sign McCarthy, and a couple of other younger FAs, then we will look better in 2013 than just keeping Ellsbury, Papi and Ross.

I'm not saying we should trade all our FAs-to be and then do nothing. I'm fine with trades and signings that help us in 2013, but I'd like the deals to help in2014 and beyond as well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Some interesting names being considered for the next manager.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

I'd like to see Mike Maddux get an interview.  I think I like the idea of Ausmus.  

I'd offer Big Papi 22/2 and if he doesn't take it fine.  I don't think he would.  It would be great to see Papi retire as a RS, but he has been well compensated and it's time to think with the head and not the heart.  I think he has the potential to make a huge stink if he isn't happy.  He was great when he played this year, but I'm afraid he's reached an age where injury is a serious threat to playing time.  (See Yankee vets.)  Any other views as to his max offer?

Moon, I think you suggested a trade with the Giants for Bumgarner and Sanchez.  What do they need?  Maybe a young SS for the future?  I've heard on the radio out here that some NL teams think the RS don't know what they have in Iggy--and maybe they don't.  I go along with what I've seen here--if the RS who usually want some offense from that spot aren't going to play him, then lets trade him.  I think the Giants also need a 1B but we need one of those ourselves.  On a different site, I saw someone propose trying to get Rizzo back.  What do you think? 

As for Ells, I see both sides.  Maybe it comes down to what we can get back.  If we can get back some good young players either playing now  or on the cusp, then go for it.

I would trade Salty and Bard. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd like to see Mike Maddux get an interview.  I think I like the idea of Ausmus.  

I'd offer Big Papi 22/2 and if he doesn't take it fine.  I don't think he would.  It would be great to see Papi retire as a RS, but he has been well compensated and it's time to think with the head and not the heart.  I think he has the potential to make a huge stink if he isn't happy.  He was great when he played this year, but I'm afraid he's reached an age where injury is a serious threat to playing time.  (See Yankee vets.)  Any other views as to his max offer?

Yours is about right. One thing that bothers me about Papi is that he has gone 3-4 years with almost no walk-off HRs and barely any clutch hits.

Moon, I think you suggested a trade with the Giants for Bumgarner and Sanchez. 

I doubt we can make an offer large enough to get Bumgarner, but I have mentioned Ellsbury for Romo & Sanchez, then deal Lava with others to Oakland for Brett Anderson.

What do they need? 

Hitting.

Maybe a young SS for the future?  I've heard on the radio out here that some NL teams think the RS don't know what they have in Iggy--and maybe they don't.  I go along with what I've seen here--if the RS who usually want some offense from that spot aren't going to play him, then lets trade him. 

As everyone knows here, I have been for starting Iggy at SS for 2 years now, but last winter I suggested that if we were never going to give him a chance, we should trade him. I still feel the same way.

I think the Giants also need a 1B but we need one of those ourselves.  On a different site, I saw someone propose trying to get Rizzo back.  What do you think? 

I think we find a 1 year bridge at 1B and hope T Shaw advances or we get a better 1b FA pool next winter.

As for Ells, I see both sides.  Maybe it comes down to what we can get back.  If we can get back some good young players either playing now  or on the cusp, then go for it.

The draft choice alone should get us a good player, so I do think we can get a decent enough return to make it worthwhile. Have you seen what some team give up for lesser players than Ellsbury?

I would trade Salty and Bard. 

I think Bard's stock is too low to sell.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's an interesting plan that makes us semi contenders in 2013 and pretty strong in 2014 and beyond, if Bradley, Barnes and Bogaerts contribute like some think they will by then...

Start with a 3-way trade:

To SF: Ellsbury & J. Vinicio

To Oak: S. Romo, H. Sanchez, M. Aviles & C. Lin

To Boston: Brett Anderson

Then,

Trade: F. Doubront, C. Breslow, B. Brentz, G. Cecchini & A. Ranaudo

For: Justin Upton

and,

Trade: A. Aceves & M. Gomez

For: Mike Morse

Then,

Sign: 

Anibal Sanchez  ($48/4)

Brandon McCarthy ($28M/3)

Michael Bourn ($36M/4)

Cody Ross ($10M/2)

Eric Chavez ($5M/2)

2013 Red Sox

SP: Lester, Buchholtz, Sanchez, Anderson, McCarthy (Lackey, Morales, Tazawa)

RP: Bailey, Bard, Mortensen, Atchison, Miller, Melancon, Hill (Beato, Carpenter)

C: Saltalamacchia, Lavarnway

1B: Morse, Chavez

2B: Pedroia (Ciriaco)

3B: Middlebrooks, (Chavez)

SS: Iglesias, Ciriaco

LF: Ross, Nava (Morse)

CF: Bourn, Sweeney

RF: Upton (Sweeney)

DH: (Ross, Lavarnway, Morse, Chavez)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I am a big fan of Brandon McCarthy.  I felt bad when he was hit in the head and had to have emergency brain surgery. 

I hope he makes a full recovery. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think he was scheduled to return in the playoffs had the A's advanced.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

True.  Brett Anderson came back to pitch in the playoffs.  Maybe the Red Sox should recruit the medical staff and trainers of the Oakland A's.  LOL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

True.  Brett Anderson came back to pitch in the playoffs.  Maybe the Red Sox should recruit the medical staff and trainers of the Oakland A's.  LOL

[/QUOTE]
    Brandon McCarthy was the player with the head injury, not Brett Anderson. McCarthy is expected to make a full recovery in plenty of time for spring training.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Brandon McCarthy was the player with the head injury, not Brett Anderson. McCarthy is expected to make a full recovery in plenty of time for spring training.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the confusion.  I knew that.  I meant to say that Anderson came back on time but McCarthy did not.  

It would be great if Boston can get both.  LOL