1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: A Realistic Look At 2013: Part I

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think we will see several Sox prospects rise up in the rankings this winter and next spring, so it will be interesting to see Hill's reaction to trade suggestions he has shot down in the past that now look better in that light.

[/QUOTE]

pike seems to be MIA lately. One can only hope it's long term.

Well hes hyping up his prospects pretty good. Although the M's dont have a good track record of successful ones. Theres a couple there, but far and few between. I only have had a problem recently because of his dim view of the Sox and some of our prospects and then boasting about his. maybe its the reliance on numbers too much...not sure.

Although he has posted some positive stuff lately since a couple people called him on it. I do like Hill and most of his posts. It just seemed for a while he was a bit bitter and it showed in his posts.

bottom line is he is one of the good guys here...

[/QUOTE]

He's been blasted hard by a few posters here who want no non-Sox fans on this site.

[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think we will see several Sox prospects rise up in the rankings this winter and next spring, so it will be interesting to see Hill's reaction to trade suggestions he has shot down in the past that now look better in that light.

[/QUOTE]

Well hes hyping up his prospects pretty good. Although the M's dont have a good track record of successful ones. Theres a couple there, but far and few between. I only have had a problem recently because of his dim view of the Sox and some of our prospects and then boasting about his. maybe its the reliance on numbers too much...not sure.

Although he has posted some positive stuff lately since a couple people called him on it. I do like Hill and most of his posts. It just seemed for a while he was a bit bitter and it showed in his posts.

[/QUOTE]

He's been blasted hard by a few posters here who want no non-Sox fans on this site.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can understand that carnie. Im not trying to pick fights with the guy, like I said Ive enjoyed reading his posts and having conversation with him at times. Just didnt seem like himself and I figured there had to be a reason for it. Notin noticed it too and said something to him as well as me. Respectfully of course.

Well, maybe I slammed the M's organization a little...Just got a little tired of the negativity towards everything Red Sox I guess...Didnt get personal with him though. Not my style...I'll back off...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

[QUOTE]

Interesting stories about the Angels looking to trade Haren any minute- before his option runs out.

[/QUOTE]

Now that Peavy is off the market, I've convinced myself that Haren is the best fit here.  A slight health risk, but otherwise has always been a workhorse (7 years of 200+ IP) who doesn't walk guys.  The Angels need bullpen help, and let's face it; 12 million a year is the going rate for a quality starter.  He said himself that he is pretty much resigned to being traded before the deadline today.  I'd love to see it happen.  Any chance that it becomes a larger trade involving Kendry Morales, who really doesn't have a position there anymore?  What would it take?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to cassvt2004's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Interesting stories about the Angels looking to trade Haren any minute- before his option runs out.

[/QUOTE]

Now that Peavy is off the market, I've convinced myself that Haren is the best fit here.  A slight health risk, but otherwise has always been a workhorse (7 years of 200+ IP) who doesn't walk guys.  The Angels need bullpen help, and let's face it; 12 million a year is the going rate for a quality starter.  He said himself that he is pretty much resigned to being traded before the deadline today.  I'd love to see it happen.  Any chance that it becomes a larger trade involving Kendry Morales, who really doesn't have a position there anymore?  What would it take?

[/QUOTE]

Maybe not too much seeing Haren will be FA after 2013 and Morales in 2014...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can understand that carnie. Im not trying to pick fights with the guy, like I said Ive enjoyed reading his posts and having conversation with him at times. Just didnt seem like himself and I figured there had to be a reason for it. Notin noticed it too and said something to him as well as me. Respectfully of course.

Well, maybe I slammed the M's organization a little...Just got a little tired of the negativity towards everything Red Sox I guess...Didnt get personal with him though. Not my style...I'll back off...

[/QUOTE]

I noticed the same thing. And I'm sure I slammed the Ms at one point. I was just thinking it's usually pike who goes after other teams' fans on this board, and I don't have a lot of use for it, as I am pretty friendly with some of the Yankees fans.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I noticed the same thing. And I'm sure I slammed the Ms at one point. I was just thinking it's usually pike who goes after other teams' fans on this board, and I don't have a lot of use for it, as I am pretty friendly with some of the Yankees fans.

[/QUOTE]

Same here...Im friendly with anyone here who is friendly back no matter what team they cheer for. Its silly to not like someone or not want them around just because theyre not a sox fan.

Now I agree there are some obnoxious fans of other teams and the Sox, but for the most part most everyone here is Ok...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Things are heating up on "the stove".

Papi?

Haren?

Oh my!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Papi?

Haren?

Oh my!

[/QUOTE]

Gonna start to get real interesting starting tomorrow and then after the 9th...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'm hoping the Sox can stay out of the feeding frenzy and pick up on the bargains that will be available later in the FA period.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]

Papi?

Haren?

Oh my!

[/QUOTE]

I hope the Red Sox can make a trade for Haren.  

If Cherington offers Haren free Patriots season tickets and an autographed football by Tom Brady, that shall seal the deal.  LOL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Papi?

Haren?

Oh my!

[/QUOTE]

I hope the Red Sox can make a trade for Haren.  

If Cherington offers Haren free Patriots season tickets and an autographed football by Tom Brady, that shall seal the deal.  LOL

[/QUOTE]

Maybe Tom can send over some racy pics of his wife too ;) THAT would def do it...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe Tom can send over some racy pics of his wife too ;) THAT would def do it...

[/QUOTE]

Top free agents will take a pay cut to come to Boston.  lol     ;)

P.S. Isn't Brady's wife the hot Brazilian who is a model for Victoria Secret?  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Top free agents will take a pay cut to come to Boston.  lol     ;)

P.S. Isn't Brady's wife the hot Brazilian who is a model for Victoria Secret?  

[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

I like the idea of Haren, but not if it involves taking on Vernon Wells. I have no idea what Wells has left on his contract, but I know that is in excess of $20mil per. Even one year is too much.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like the idea of Haren, but not if it involves taking on Vernon Wells. I have no idea what Wells has left on his contract, but I know that is in excess of $20mil per. Even one year is too much.

[/QUOTE]

2yrs/42M

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

2yrs/42M

[/QUOTE]

Then that's way way too much

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

2yrs/42M

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And it went down 5M annually from 26M...It had to be one of the worst contracts, next to the A-Rod deal, in history...He signed it at age 26-27. 7/126 I believe...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

2yrs/42M

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And it went down 5M annually from 26M...It had to be one of the worst contracts, next to the A-Rod deal, in history...He signed it at age 26-27. 7/126 I believe...

[/QUOTE]

That's what can happen with long term contracts. At the time he signed that deal with the Blue Jays he looked like the next Manny type superstar. It's very rare that these 5 year and longer deals work out for the team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

2yrs/42M

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's what can happen with long term contracts. At the time he signed that deal with the Blue Jays he looked like the next Manny type superstar. It's very rare that these 5 year and longer deals work out for the team.

[/QUOTE]

Boston got lucky with Ramirez...He lasted pretty much the whole contract. on a contract that length, if the player can last 6 of the 7 or 7 of the 8 years with consistent production, that team did incredibly well. The Sox' contract with Manny was a definite win for the Sox. Thats certainly not the norm. If you have a 7 year contract with a player, your lucky if you get 5 productive years.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Total Value
    The most lucrative contracts in baseball history, by total value:
    1. Alex Rodriguez, $275,000,000 (2008-17) The worst deal of all time!
    2. Alex Rodriguez, $252,000,000 
    (2001-10)
    3. Albert Pujols, $240,000,000 (2012-21)
    4. Joey Votto, $225,000,000 (2014-23)
    5. Prince Fielder, $214,000,000 (2012-20)
    6. Derek Jeter, $189,000,000 
    (2001-10)
    7. Joe Mauer, $184,000,000 (2011-18)   13 HRs in almost 1,000 PAs since signing (2 yrs)
    8. Mark Teixeira, $180,000,000 (2009-16) w/ NYY.263/.357/.506 .863 (Career .900+)
    9. CC Sabathia, $161,000,000 (2009-15)
    10. Manny Ramirez, $160,000,000 (2001-08)
    . . Matt Kemp, $160,000,000 (2012-19)
    12. Troy Tulowitzki, $157,750,000 
    (2011-20) Injured for much of 2012
    13. Adrian Gonzalez, $154,000,000 (2012-18) About the same OPS as career
    14. Miguel Cabrera, $152,300,000 
    (2008-15)
    15. Cole Hamels, $144,000,000 (2013-18)
    16. Carl Crawford, $142,000,000 
    (2011-17) Well documented failure/injuries
    17. Todd Helton, $141,500,000 (2003-11) 5 of 10 years over .900/under 20Hrs last 8 
    18. Johan Santana, $137,500,000 (2008-13) Injured much of the time.
    19. Alfonso Soriano, $136,000,000 (2007-14) Worse the Wells deal.
    20. Matt Cain, $127,500,000 (2012-17)
    21. Vernon Wells, $126,000,000 
    (2008-14) One of the worst for sure.
    . . . Barry Zito, $126,000,000 (2007-13) Bombed out
    . . . Jayson Werth, $126,000,000 (2011-17) Bombed out
    24. Ryan Howard, $125,000,000 (2012-16) Injured
    25. CC Sabathia, $122,000,000 (2012-16)
    26. Mike Hampton, $121,000,000 
    (2001-08) Bombed out

Not a very good track record.

Take note Theo bashers: he is not alone.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

With Papi in the fold for 2 years, I see Lava being squeezed out of a ML slot, unless we trade Salty. I see less need for 2 years of Ross, unless we plug him in LF and let him DH when Papi sist vs some LHPs.

Here is the updated depth chart:

25 Man                        ML ready            More than a year away

DH Ortiz (1B)                  (Sands)                

C  Salty/Butler               Lava                      Swihart/Vazquez

1B Sands/Gomez                                          Shaw

2B Pedroia                       De Jesus               Coyle

3B Middlebrooks/ Valencia                         Cecchini/Vitek

SS Iggy/Ciriaco              (De Jesus)            Bogaerts/Vinicio/Marrero/Lin

LF (Sands)/Nava            Hassan/Hazelbaker   Jacobs/de la Cruz

CF Ellsbury/Kalish          Linares                 Bradley  

RF Sweeney                      Brentz        

SP  Lester/Buchholtz/Doubront/Lackey/Morales (RP: Tazawa/Mortensen)

ML ready: de la Rosa/Webster/Stewart/Workman/Britton?/Hernandez?

Year away: Barnes/Owens/Ranaudo/Pimental/many others

RP   Bailey/Aceves/Breslow/Miller/Atchison

ML Ready: R Hill/Bard/Melancon/Carpenter/Beato/Rosario/Wilson

Year away: Fields/de la Torre/Kurcz/Balcom-Miller/Ruiz/and others

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

if sweeney is a starter on this team..i'm going to be pissed...if we lose every game next season i would not care...the above lineup would make me sick...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

lol

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]

With Papi in the fold for 2 years, I see Lava being squeezed out of a ML slot, unless we trade Salty. I see less need for 2 years of Ross, unless we plug him in LF and let him DH when Papi sist vs some LHPs.

[/QUOTE]

Moon..forget Sands...he is a AAAA player. Not even an option for lf, DH, or 1b...unless of course we re 30 games under 500 again Nxt yr. You also forgot Kalish. He is a better player than Sweeney, Sands and Nava for one of those of spots. Not cf, unless we trade ells

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Moon..forget Sands...he is a AAAA player. Not even an option for lf, DH, or 1b...unless of course we re 30 games under 500 again Nxt yr. You also forgot Kalish. He is a better player than Sweeney, Sands and Nava for one of those of spots. Not cf, unless we trade ells

[/QUOTE]

I know there will be additions that change several slots above, but this is the way it is now.

Sands is as good as Gomez (1B), Nava or Kalish (LF). He may be AAAA, but then so are Nva, Gomez, kalish and Sweeney.