[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to javaukti1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My bet on a catcher trade:

Salty to the Cubs for Garza, plus a farmhand or two.

Two reasons, first is that both players are free agents after 2013 (I think) so the reduced value is cancelled out. Second is Theo's man-crush on Salty. He really went out of his way to bring him to Boston, and like Rizzo who he managed to get to the Cubs, wants to keep players he has faith in.

Javaukti

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't call Chris McGuiness & Roman Mendez going "out of his way", but you may be right about Theo wanting Salty in Chi-town.

I think we'd have to give the farmhand or two with Salty to get Garza, not the other way around. It may take Salty & Aceves to get Garza.

I'm not high on Garza or any one year starter for that matter.

[/QUOTE]

Playing for a contract is always a positive thing. The work ethic increases and thedrive is greater for those interested in securing the future one final time.

[/QUOTE]

Not everyone has great "contract years", but assuming Garza does, when he walks after 2013, where will we be?

I'd prefer making trades that help us in 2013 and beyond- not just one year and outs.

[/QUOTE]

Webster, RDLR, Workman etc...

Your not going to get a bunch of years back for a catcher who has 1 year til FA. We need a pitcher, they need a catcher. Both needs are filled.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic Look At 2013: Part I

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Two reasons, first is that both players are free agents after 2013 (I think) so the reduced value is cancelled out. Second is Theo's man-crush on Salty. He really went out of his way to bring him to Boston, and like Rizzo who he managed to get to the Cubs, wants to keep players he has faith in.

Javaukti

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't call Chris McGuiness & Roman Mendez going "out of his way", but you may be right about Theo wanting Salty in Chi-town.

I think we'd have to give the farmhand or two with Salty to get Garza, not the other way around. It may take Salty & Aceves to get Garza.

[/QUOTE]

Playing for a contract is always a positive thing. The work ethic increases and thedrive is greater for those interested in securing the future one final time.

[/QUOTE]

Not everyone has great "contract years", but assuming Garza does, when he walks after 2013, where will we be?

I'd prefer making trades that help us in 2013 and beyond- not just one year and outs.

[/QUOTE]

Your not going to get a bunch of years back for a catcher who has 1 year til FA. We need a pitcher, they need a catcher. Both needs are filled.

[/QUOTE]

1) I know if the deal is one to one, we will not get equal value but for more years, but since I do not see us as majoe contenders in 2013, I'd rather trade Saltzy for lesser value but for 2+ years.

2) I actually think Salty will be dealt as part of a larger deal, since we need to make roster space anyways, and a 2 or 3 for 1 deal makes most sense.

3) I'm still not sure it will be Salty that is dealt. It could be Lava.

Our greatest need is for 2014 and beyond, not 2013 alone.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Javaukti

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

1) I know if the deal is one to one, we will not get equal value but for more years, but since I do not see us as majoe contenders in 2013, I'd rather trade Saltzy for lesser value but for 2+ years.

2) I actually think Salty will be dealt as part of a larger deal, since we need to make roster space anyways, and a 2 or 3 for 1 deal makes most sense.

[/QUOTE]

I think he'll be part of a bigger deal as well. It wouldnt make much sense to get a mid-rotation starter for 1 year. We can do that without giving up a player.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Javaukti

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think he'll be part of a bigger deal as well. It wouldnt make much sense to get a mid-rotation starter for 1 year. We can do that without giving up a player.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. There are a lot of mid rotation pitchers that may perform like #2's on the FA market. I'd much prefer to package Salty or Lava with others to get an 2+ year upgrade at a position not easily filled through free agency.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Javaukti

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. There are a lot of mid rotation pitchers that may perform like #2's on the FA market. I'd much prefer to package Salty or Lava with others to get an 2+ year upgrade at a position not easily filled through free agency.

[/QUOTE]

Like 1st base?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Ryan Ludwick? And over Cody Ross? 

The last thing you would want is the pair of them manning your outfield as it guarantees certain mediocrity. However as Ross slowly slips away you are going to take a chance on Ludwick? Please!

Either of these two are just as likely to hit 12 homers than 25 homers, drive in 60 runs rather than 80.

Either re-sign Ross or move on but not with Ludwick. It defies common sense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from smuldy84. Show smuldy84's posts

Sox won't get Garza. Will go after less talented but less costly trade partner for starting depth ala Aaron Cook/Brad Penny/John Smoltz. Will get ONE outfielder in same mold but again not top tier since the Torii Hunter's of the world won't play here now that this division is so stacked against Boston. They could get a Victorino/Ludwick/Swisher/LaRoche type to come here but would only do so by overpaying and I don't see the owners inflating the payroll above $100m when they have personal financial trouble and think they can just fleece the fans of Boston forever with $100 bricks and $12 Budweisers. I expect Kalish to be an opening day starter. Iglesias too. I expect that Gomes or Sands could be in the mix for major abs. I expect Morales to stay burried in the bullpen. I expect Bailey to cost them over 7 games before management considers installing Tazawa as the closer. I expect a gimmick reunion by the All Star break. A Tim Wakefield appreciation day. Every gimmick Lucchino can think of to sell tickets. I expect even this team will acknowledge an end to the sellout streak this May. And I expect a last place team with a record similar to last season but slightly better, 70-80 wins.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Some "lofty" expectations there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The AL East just became more competitive.  Thanks to Toronto and their out-of-nowhere-blockbuster deal with Miami. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

The Red Sox unless they catch lightening in the bottle are not going to the play-offs this coming season. With NY weakening, Baltimore coming alive, and Tampa remaining a winner the Jays realised this might be the right time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Red Sox unless they catch lightening in the bottle are not going to the play-offs this coming season. With NY weakening, Baltimore coming alive, and Tampa remaining a winner the Jays realised this might be the right time.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you.

Reyes joining a good lineup with Bautista, Encarnacion and Lawrie.

Johnson and Buehlre joining Romero (who will bounce back), Drabek and Morrow.  

On paper, the Blue Jays look very good.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is the perfect time for them to strike. Good timing on AA's part.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to smuldy84's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sox won't get Garza. Will go after less talented but less costly trade partner for starting depth ala Aaron Cook/Brad Penny/John Smoltz. Will get ONE outfielder in same mold but again not top tier since the Torii Hunter's of the world won't play here now that this division is so stacked against Boston. They could get a Victorino/Ludwick/Swisher/LaRoche type to come here but would only do so by overpaying and I don't see the owners inflating the payroll above $100m when they have personal financial trouble and think they can just fleece the fans of Boston forever with $100 bricks and $12 Budweisers. I expect Kalish to be an opening day starter. Iglesias too. I expect that Gomes or Sands could be in the mix for major abs. I expect Morales to stay burried in the bullpen. I expect Bailey to cost them over 7 games before management considers installing Tazawa as the closer. I expect a gimmick reunion by the All Star break. A Tim Wakefield appreciation day. Every gimmick Lucchino can think of to sell tickets. I expect even this team will acknowledge an end to the sellout streak this May. And I expect a last place team with a record similar to last season but slightly better, 70-80 wins.

[/QUOTE]

well then we can count on you tonot watch any games this year since you already know how its going to turn out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

bump

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe the days of the big blockbusters are back.

The AGon deal and now this- all within 4 months.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

[QUOTE]

We will probably end up with one of these guys starting in April: Gomez (1B), Sands (1B/LF), Nava (LF), Kalish (LF/RF), Iggy (SS) or Ciriaco (SS). If we end up with 2 or more, then it is surely a "bridge year", and all other moves and decisions should be mde accordingly... with 2014 and beyond in our sights.

[/QUOTE]

Iggy probably...I don't think any of the rest cut it. As starters unless there are some injuries.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

We will probably end up with one of these guys starting in April: Gomez (1B), Sands (1B/LF), Nava (LF), Kalish (LF/RF), Iggy (SS) or Ciriaco (SS). If we end up with 2 or more, then it is surely a "bridge year", and all other moves and decisions should be mde accordingly... with 2014 and beyond in our sights.

[/QUOTE]

Iggy probably...I don't think any of the rest cut it. As starters unless there are some injuries.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree Boom, if its anyone it will be Iggy unless we get struck with a bunch of injuries again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

[QUOTE]

I mentioned this past summer that if Papi was extended, we'd probably trade Salty or Lava. It looks more likely now, but since Ross hits RHP'ers better than LHPs, it could be Salty who is to be traded.

[/QUOTE]

Ross's splits are pretty even. Historically I think it probably is the other way around. He hasn't had very many AB for several seasons in a row. I looked into it the other day and recently he has hit RH better for a year or 2 maybe wasn't it but generally I think his splits are about even, which is good!

To me, he looks like a Lavarnway tutor but I wouldn't be surprised at all if LAvarnway starts off next year in AAA. They didn't pay Ross $6 mil to send him to AAA. It's possible they go with 2 RH catchers but a Pittsburg deal may well be in the works also involving a catcher ( and it could well be LAvarnway ). And Moon, you know how it hurts me to say that. My guess is that either a trade or another FA signing is on the way or Lavarnway is starting the year in AAA. I have no problem with it being LAvarnway and Ross though and hope it ends up that way. We are in rebuild mode for sure next year so why the heck not!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

To me there just isn't enough available in the FA market to have very much hope to make the playoffs in 2013. We need major change. Let's go with a competitive team but optimize our chances for 2014 and 2015 as I believe Moon has been saying. I've been out of the loop for a few weeks but I believe that was his position before I left. 

Sanchez might be worth 6/90 mil. That is what it would take I would think if anyone goes 6 years. Even a 5 year deal is tough to get for a non superstar.

I still like Kuroda in a 2 year deal under $36 mil. Heh, I know it's a lot but it is possible. The guy has been a consistent stuf for 5-6 years now. Who knows, maybe the rotation solidifies around him and we make a run for the wild card. It's worth a shot IMO. Teams like Tampa have been winning for years with worst lineups than we can throw out there. It's rotation, rotatio, rotation!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I mentioned this past summer that if Papi was extended, we'd probably trade Salty or Lava. It looks more likely now, but since Ross hits RHP'ers better than LHPs, it could be Salty who is to be traded.

[/QUOTE]

Ross's splits are pretty even. Historically I think it probably is the other way around. He hasn't had very many AB for several seasons in a row. I looked into it the other day and recently he has hit RH better for a year or 2 maybe wasn't it but generally I think his splits are about even, which is good!

To me, he looks like a Lavarnway tutor but I wouldn't be surprised at all if LAvarnway starts off next year in AAA. They didn't pay Ross $6 mil to send him to AAA. It's possible they go with 2 RH catchers but a Pittsburg deal may well be in the works also involving a catcher ( and it could well be LAvarnway ). And Moon, you know how it hurts me to say that. My guess is that either a trade or another FA signing is on the way or Lavarnway is starting the year in AAA. I have no problem with it being LAvarnway and Ross though and hope it ends up that way. We are in rebuild mode for sure next year so why the heck not!

[/QUOTE]

Hey Boom, I brought up the idea of lavarnway at 1b. Lets say next year theres not a lot of improvemnt of his defense and his offense is taking a big hit as it did this year, would you be open to that idea seeing as he was a position player before he was a catcher and we have a need at 1b?

He could then concentrate on his offense, which was always his strong point. I understand his value would be more if he was a catcher, but if we plan on keeping him what does it matter what his value to other teams is?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Welcome back, boom.

Yes, Ross is about even over his career on L/R splits (slightly better vs RHPs), but he is much better vs RHPs over the last 2 years.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

boooomp

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is the perfect time for them to strike. Good timing on AA's part.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you.   :)

I was impressed when Alex Anthopoulos dumped Vernon Wells and his hefty contract to the Angels.

Anthopoulos impressed me again by making this blockbuster trade with the Marlins.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Three pitchers I hope the Red Sox will get during the offseason.

• Brandon McCarthy
    • Shaun Marcum
    • Brett Anderson (via trade)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey Boom, I brought up the idea of lavarnway at 1b. Lets say next year theres not a lot of improvemnt of his defense and his offense is taking a big hit as it did this year, would you be open to that idea seeing as he was a position player before he was a catcher and we have a need at 1b?

He could then concentrate on his offense, which was always his strong point. I understand his value would be more if he was a catcher, but if we plan on keeping him what does it matter what his value to other teams is?

[/QUOTE]

I don't think Lavarnway has ever played 1st in college or the minors. I don't think he has even played the OF in the minors. If he doesn't catch or DH he is of virtually no value in the majors right now. He is god awful slow but Adrian gonzalez was also. If he does prove to be a good hitter in mlb I think it would be a good idea to maybe give him some reps at 1st base in ST or something like that. If he stays long in the minors maybe even this year maybe give him some reps at 1st. There have been a lot of big slow guys who have proved successful at 1st. It would add to his value as a potential back up player. Ala Victor Martinez.