A Realistic Look At 2013: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: A Realistic Look At 2013: Part I

In response to TitleTown11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For real? A 2 game series against the Rockies (in Colorado) in September??

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same.  Doesn't it snow in some parts of Colorado in September?  LOL

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

With 15 teams in each league now, there has to be an interleague series going on all the time.

The Red Sox will travel the most miles of any AL East team, but less than any AL West team:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/ms-travel-most-white-sox-travel-least-among-al-teams-in-2013/

The Angels and Athletics get the short end of the 2013 schedule with only one three-city road trip each.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When your city is in a corner of this nation, it makes sense that you will travel more than anyone else.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When your city is in a corner of this nation, it makes sense that you will travel more than anyone else.

Wrong again.

Alaska is the Northwestern corner of this bankrupt entitlement State. Maine is the northeast corner. Florida is the southeast corner. Hawaii is the Southwest corner. 

[/QUOTE]

Try and be different from Obama and all his broken promises.

Keep your promise to avoid this thread.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Gomes signes for 2 years and should be platooned in LF. I dont think it will be an even split but now that Kalish is in full health, maybe we can see what he can really do getting some semi regulat playing time with Gomes in LF.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We may see another minor RH'd OF'er signed, and Kalsih can alternate platoon in LF & RF, or be a late inning defensive replacement. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Gomes signes for 2 years and should be platooned in LF. I dont think it will be an even split but now that Kalish is in full health, maybe we can see what he can really do getting some semi regulat playing time with Gomes in LF.

[/QUOTE]

Kalish....HEALTHY...will end up making  the Gomes signing a moot point. IMO...Kalish is the BEST outfielder on the teamIncluding Ells, Gomes, Ross, whoever. The kid just needs to put it together. A super 4 plus tool talent...imo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wrong again.

Alaska is the Northwestern corner of this bankrupt entitlement State. Maine is the northeast corner. Florida is the southeast corner. Hawaii is the Southwest corner. 

[/QUOTE]

Here,s a question for ya old softy boy....if you could sit home n collect 2k a month...or...work your  AS& off for 3k a month...what would you do? Keep in mind...the 2k a month gets 500 in free food, plus health ins...I want to hear your explanation and WHY...people are choosing the latter...thanks, in advance"...........happy tg

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Kalish....HEALTHY...will end up making  the Gomes signing a moot point. IMO...Kalish is the BEST outfielder on the teamIncluding Ells, Gomes, Ross, whoever. The kid just needs to put it together. A super 4 plus tool talent...imo

[/QUOTE]

Happy Thanksgiving Makon...
    Hes got to prove he belongs this year. I thought he looked outstanding before all the injuries, which hes had more than his share over his young career. He could be very valuable if he can stay healthy and perform up to expectations.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to makonikyman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Happy Thanksgiving Makon...
    Hes got to prove he belongs this year. I thought he looked outstanding before all the injuries, which hes had more than his share over his young career. He could be very valuable if he can stay healthy and perform up to expectations.

[/QUOTE]

Counting on Kalish to be our #1 OF'ers scares the living you know what out of me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Updated:

Players signed for 2013 (and beyond): We have only 8.

Lackey      $15.25M  ($15.25M in 2014 & min wage in 2015)

Papi           $14M  (plus $1M bonus & $11M for 2014)

Lester       $11.625M ($13M in 2014 club option w/ $0.25M buyout)

Pedroia    $10M        ($10.25M in 2014, $11M club option in 2015 w/ $0.5M buyout)

Buchholtz  $5.5M  ($7.7M in '14, $12M in '15, $13M/$13.5M option in '16 & '17)

Gomes    $5M    ($5M in '14)

D. Ross       $3.1M  ($3.1M in '14)

Iglesias     $2.063M (Then arb)

~$68M in signed players.

Players with arbitration years remaining:
     Player      (2012 salary) Arb year(s) Est. 2013 salary
    Ellsbury        ($8.05M)    3 of 3    $8-10M
    A Bailey          ($3.9M)    2 of 3    $3-5M
    Saltalmacchia ($2.5M)    3 of 3   $5-7M
    C Breslow   ($1.795M)    3 of 3   $3-4M
    R Sweeney   ($1.75M)     3 of 3   $2-3M
    D. Bard         ($1.613M)   2 of  4  $1.7-2M
    A Aceves          ($1.2M)    2 of 3   $2-4M
    M Aviles           ($1.2M)    2 of 3   $2-4M
    A Miller            ($1.04M)  2 of 3   $2-3M
    F Morales         ($850K)   2 of 3   $2-3M
    Rich Hill           ($725M)   3 of 3   $.8M-1M
    Total Est: $35M to $  45M

That puts our budget at about $105M, not counting pre-arb contracts and any players we will acquire.

Pre-arb players (on 40 man roster):
    Middlebrooks
    de la Rosa
    Doubront
    Lavarnway
    Ciriaco
    Tazawa
    Mortensen

Gomez

Sands
    Nava
    Kalish
    Atchison
    Beato
    Melancon
    Webster

C Carpenter

A Wilson

S Wright

D Butler

C Vazquez

A Hassan

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think we willcome in around 130-140M this year as Ive been saying for months...I wouldnt spend $$ just to spend it...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This FA class is weak. I just don't see any great choices.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Red Spx fans might be interested in today's AL East chat at MLB Trade Rumors:

http://www.coveritlive.com/index2.php/option=com_altcaster/task=viewaltcast/altcast_code=f090af8f25/height=550/width=580

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Some think Price or Hellickson will be dealt before Shields. I'm sticking to my "Shields will be dealth this winter" call.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]

Some think Price or Hellickson will be dealt before Shields. I'm sticking to my "Shields will be dealth this winter" call.

[/QUOTE]

The Rays need hitting and they cannot afford a top hitter. 

They have a surplus of good starting pitchers so they can use them as trade bait. 

Either Shields or Hellickson will be dealt this winter. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Rays need hitting and they cannot afford a top hitter. 

They have a surplus of good starting pitchers so they can use them as trade bait. 

Either Shields or Hellickson will be dealt this winter. 

[/QUOTE]

If they deal Shields, they'll free up some money to get a mid range FA while reloading the farm with prospects.

I see Jennings improving next year, and if Longoria can stay healthy, their offense should be better before any moves to improve it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Perhaps some of my earlier suggested trade offers were on the light side, so I'm going to adjust my top priority plan:

1) Trade: Morales, Aceves, Melancon, Bogaerts, & Ranaudo 

For: Justin Upton

2) Trade: Tazawa, Lavarnway, Cecchini, & T. Lin

For: Brett Anderson

3) Trade: Ellsbury, Jacobs & Butler

For: Sergio Romo & Hector Sanchez

4) Trade:  Brentz, Pimentak, & Breslow

For: Kendrys Morales

5) Sign: Brandon McCarthy for $21M/3

6) Sign: Angel Pagan for $16M/3

2013 Red Sox

C:  Salty/Ross  (H Sanchez/Vazquez/Swihart)

1B: K Morales/Gomez (Sands/Swift)

2B: Pedroia

3B: Middlebrooks

SS: Iglesias/Ciriaco

LF: Gomes/Nava (Hassan/de la Cruz)

CF: Pagan/Sweeney (Kalish/Bradley)

RF: Upton (Linares)

DH: Ortiz

SP: Buchholtz, Lester, Anderson, McCarthy, Lackey, Doubront

(Webster/de la Rosa/Wright/Barnes/Owens)

RP: Bailey, Romo, Bard, Miller, Mortensen, Atchison, R Hill (Carpenter, Beato, Wilson)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

This guy is off his rocker....He doesnt think Barnes, Sands, Lavarnway and Iggy are enough to get just Asdrubal Cabrera? Sorry, He a good SS, but hes not that good. He lost all credibility with me on that one...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Perhaps some of my earlier suggested trade offers were on the light side, so I'm going to adjust my top priority plan:

1) Trade: Morales, Aceves, Melancon, Bogaerts, & Ranaudo 

For: Justin Upton

2) Trade: Tazawa, Lavarnway, Cecchini, & T. Lin

For: Brett Anderson

3) Trade: Ellsbury, Jacobs & Butler

For: Sergio Romo & Hector Sanchez

4) Trade:  Brentz, Pimentak, & Breslow

For: Kendrys Morales

5) Sign: Brandon McCarthy for $21M/3

6) Sign: Angel Pagan for $16M/3

2013 Red Sox

C:  Salty/Ross  (H Sanchez/Vazquez/Swihart)

1B: K Morales/Gomez (Sands/Swift)

2B: Pedroia

3B: Middlebrooks

SS: Iglesias/Ciriaco

LF: Gomes/Nava (Hassan/de la Cruz)

CF: Pagan/Sweeney (Kalish/Bradley)

RF: Upton (Linares)

DH: Ortiz

SP: Buchholtz, Lester, Anderson, McCarthy, Lackey, Doubront

(Webster/de la Rosa/Wright/Barnes/Owens)

RP: Bailey, Bard, Miller, Mortensen, Atchison, R Hill (Carpenter, Beato, Wilson)

[/QUOTE]

Although i dont think Az will take 3 relievers (1 possible starter) and a AA guy coming off groin issues and a very down year. Bogy is the prize for sure, but not sure Towers will be blown away.

Pagan should get more than that for 3 years, not much though. Macarthy for 3 years? With his injury history? I think we will see napoli at 1b this year, not Morales. (Thank God).

Im good with the Anderson and the deal with SF, (not sure if they feel the same way though)

IMO, Theyll stick Lav back in AAA to give him more work and get his value back up. go with a Ross/Salty tandum in 2013. I think A's will hold on to anderson at 5M, but he could be available at the deadline if theyre out of it. Unfortunatly I can see the Sox going for Upton, but not willing to give up what AZ wants to get him.

Everyone says we need a front line starter. IMO, there isnt much available out there that can top Lester and Buch when they are on their game, which is why I think having farrell back will help that happen again. Trading everyone away isnt the solution. Its almost like fantasy baseball to me. Nobody makes that many big moves in one offseason.

I can see them going after Sanchez and overpaying a bit. Signing Napoli and a bullpen arm. Also looking at a guy like Stephen Drew for a year. Ross may realize the maket isnt going to favor his 3/25 deal and he could fall back to us again, but not for more than 2 years. Thay could also make a trade for a RF for a year por 2. They like their draft picks, so I think Swisher is out for RF.

Realistically, I can see a trade, but not everything you suggested. maybe one of them though.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Well, even with all the trades of prospects, we'd still have Bradley, Barnes, Webster & de la Rosa.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

Well, even with all the trades of prospects, we'd still have Bradley, Barnes, Webster & de la Rosa.

[/QUOTE]

That would be great. Bradley, .271 , with 6 homers at AA.   Barnes , 5-5 , 3.58 ERA in high A.  Plus two Dodger rejects.  That sounds like a great plan.  Who needs Hamilton or Greinke or Napoli or Swisher ?  We have a great future with the " kids ."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That would be great. Bradley, .271 , with 6 homers at AA.   Barnes , 5-5 , 3.58 ERA in high A.  Plus two Dodger rejects.  That sounds like a great plan.  Who needs Hamilton or Greinke or Napoli or Swisher ?  We have a great future with the " kids ."

[/QUOTE]

Umm, my plan brings us Upton- a better get than Hamilton, B Anderson- a great arm, and a couple of nice role players in Pagan, McCarthy, Romo, as well as a promising young catcher in Hector Sanchez.

Just because it appears we need Greinke and Hamilton, does not mean we break the bank to get them. This has Crawford - Lackey written all over it.

I'd love Josh and Zach on our team, but their cost will mean we will be locked out of obtaining many other players for years to come. Like it or not, there is a limit on our budget.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

JBJ was making the transition to AA, it was only half a season all while dealing with an ankle injury. theres usually a learning curve. He still kept a high OBP at .373, which is the main thing as a leadoff hitter. he was never known for power, so your negative outlook with 6 HR is void and null.

If were going to look at the second half moving to AA and dealing with the usual learning curve, we should now look at his High A salem numbers... .359AVG .480OBP .526SLG in 67 games. His K/BB ratio is outstanding, hes an above average solid defender with a strong arm. He gets on base and is a patient hitter, but you keep cherry picking stats that make him look bad.

Barnes went 7-5 between Greenville and salem with a .2.86 ERA 119.2IP with 97H 29BB 133K 1.05 WHIP. you site W-L for pitchers and BA for hitters as the end all be all which doesnt even come close to telling the whole story, but that wouldnt help what your trying to acomplish. Besides, most pitching prospects dont pitch like MLB pitchers as they are working on certain pitches and stamina. Almost like an MLB pitcher in ST. One day he works on his cutter, then the change, etc., etc., all while making sure the mechanics are in order.

Felix Hernandez won a Cy Young with a 13-12 record because although the W-L didnt look good they realized that he had no run support and lost a lot of 2-1, 1-0, 3-2 games with him pitching. Thats why most baseball people dont rely too much on W-L when other stats tell the true story.

Oh, and the 2 dodger rejects who were ranked in their top 5 prospect list. Rubby had TJS which is why he wasnt this year, but was #3 in 2011...

Sections
Shortcuts