In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 808soxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Naps is a good fit, but at least $6M overpaid.

Naps should play 1B except in NL parks (Papi plays 1B) and a few other games here and there.

If we add no more positional players:

vs RHPs   vs LHPs

1)        Ells

2)        Pedey

3) Papi         Naps

4) Naps        Papi

5) Midd         Midd

6) Salty        Gomes

7) Nava        D Ross

8) Kalish       Kalish/Nava (Linares/Brentz?)

9)          Iggy

I could see us adding Swisher and trading Salty (maybe in a package for Gavin Floyd)

vs RHPs  vs LHP

Ells

Pedey

Papi             Swish (RF)

Swish (1B)  Papi

(C) Naps  (1B)

Midd        

Nava (LF)    Gomes (LF)  

Kalish (RF)  D Ross (C)

Iggy

[/QUOTE]

That would put Naps behind the plate an awful lot.

[/QUOTE]

I know, and I'd hate that, but since Ross is about equal vs LHPs and RHPs, and we don't really have anyone better than Swish in RF, we could see Ross catch 90-100 games (mostly vs RHPs), Lava catch vs LHPs, and Naps FT at 1B (except in NL parks) and Swish FT in RF.

Nice to have the flex with Naps (1B/C) and Swish (RF/1B).

[/QUOTE]

I think id the Sox keep Salty and Ross catching the bulk of the games they can have Naps play about 20 games or so. That will keep everyone fresh and at their best. Salty would get the most games at around 80, ross around 60 and Naps 20. If they get a guy like Swish or Morse to play RF/1b that would be good. Lav should be in AAA one more year.

[/QUOTE]

In a vacumn this makes perfect sense, but we have so many high need areas to address, and so many teams need a catcher. We have 4 catchers would would be the best catcher on 6-10 teams right now. One has got to go. One will go. My bet is on Salty, but it could be Lava.

[/QUOTE]

Im comfortable in this vaccum ;) Ill stay here with my thoughts on this subject...Just call me a catcher horder...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Re: A Realistic Look At 2013: Part I

I like Moon's plan.  I think at this point, Swisher is the best pickup we can make.  I'm not a Victorino fan, and think that Cody Ross is a little redundant to Gomes and Napoli, considering that we already have a lot of righty hitters (Ross would make it 6, IF we keep Salty).  I like the idea of trading Salty (or Lavarnway), for Gavin Floyd, as I think he is the ideal #3 starter in our rotation.  

Not sure we'd play Nava over Gomes against RHP.  Sox are paying Gomes good money, and already said that he'd be starting.  Not sure I agree with that idea, but I'll trust BC on this one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to titletownfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like Moon's plan.  I think at this point, Swisher is the best pickup we can make.  I'm not a Victorino fan, and think that Cody Ross is a little redundant to Gomes and Napoli, considering that we already have a lot of righty hitters (Ross would make it 6, IF we keep Salty).  I like the idea of trading Salty (or Lavarnway), for Gavin Floyd, as I think he is the ideal #3 starter in our rotation.  

Not sure we'd play Nava over Gomes against RHP.  Sox are paying Gomes good money, and already said that he'd be starting.  Not sure I agree with that idea, but I'll trust BC on this one.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, I am not for signing Swisher, but I think the Sox will make a strong push for him.

I'd rather us trade for J Upton or Myers, but my first priority has always been to strengthen the front end of our rotation or at least to get two #2/3 slot types.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Howdy, gang!!!  As much as I hate looking at his idiotic grin, Swisher is a good fit IMO.  The positional flexibility we'd have with Swisher+Napoli is a pretty big deal and Swisher profiles as a pretty dependable mid-800's OPS as a high OBP guy with decent power.  

I suspect this is the M.O. going forward: above average producers at many positions for a solid top-to-bottom lineup.  If we have superstars, it will be because we caught lightening in a bottle with a prospect or a breakout performance a la Ortiz when he first arrived.  Personally, I'm fine with that.  There's less risk with having a larger number of possible/fringe all-star types than having a couple of perennial all-stars where you can be crippled by under performance or injuries. 

I think a guy like G Floyd is the best we can hope for on the pitching front.  I'd love to have him if we can get him for Salty plus prospects not in our top 5.  I recall seeing a BC quote basically saying the biggest room for improvement in our rotation is better performances by the pitchers we have.  Hopefully Lester, Buch, Lackey and Doubront show enough that a #3 starter plus a lottery ticket type is enough to get it done in 2013.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to 111SoxFan111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Howdy, gang!!!  As much as I hate looking at his idiotic grin, Swisher is a good fit IMO.  The positional flexibility we'd have with Swisher+Napoli is a pretty big deal and Swisher profiles as a pretty dependable mid-800's OPS as a high OBP guy with decent power.  

I suspect this is the M.O. going forward: above average producers at many positions for a solid top-to-bottom lineup.  If we have superstars, it will be because we caught lightening in a bottle with a prospect or a breakout performance a la Ortiz when he first arrived.  Personally, I'm fine with that.  There's less risk with having a larger number of possible/fringe all-star types than having a couple of perennial all-stars where you can be crippled by under performance or injuries. 

I think a guy like G Floyd is the best we can hope for on the pitching front.  I'd love to have him if we can get him for Salty plus prospects not in our top 5.  I recall seeing a BC quote basically saying the biggest room for improvement in our rotation is better performances by the pitchers we have.  Hopefully Lester, Buch, Lackey and Doubront show enough that a #3 starter plus a lottery ticket type is enough to get it done in 2013.

[/QUOTE]

I think there is a good chance we get Swisher and either Floyd or McCarthy.

Swisher does match up with our needs (RF & 1B if Naps catches a lot), but I would prefer a younger stud like J Upton or Myers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Looks like we just signed Victorino.  Could Ellsbury be on the way out?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Would do a Gavin Floyd for Salty deal in a minute. Floyd is a solid mlb pitcher that will give you IP which why I have been in favor of signing Edwin Jackson. The RS desperately need guys who will go out there and make 31 starts and give us a solid 7 IP each night. RS have had too many guys on spending time on DL or giving us 5 IP start after start. Guys like CC and Shields make your bullpen that much better. Dice K's and others just kill the pen over course of a season. Then go sign a McCarthy and rotation looks much better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

.250, 12 HR, 60 RBI, but if you can OBP in the .300s, you are worth a lot of money to the Sox. They are purchasing victories here, runs, not players. Oh wait, you need pitching to win games...what has been added there? Lackey is back..healthy? Lester is back. An injury prone closer, a top middle man ruined by being forced to close and not allowed to be an SP, a setup guy who was ruined trying to turn him into a SP......Bridge to 2015.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Also I was wrong that free agents wouldn't come here, what I've so far been right about is that no Big-Money, Marquee free agents will come to Boston...they would rather spend 80 milliion on a defenseless 1b-C with some power and a strong defensive mild offensive RF...What's next? Isn't that how much they spent on Lackey (82mil)..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Shocked at Victorino, but I didn't want Swisher at $56M/4.

It looks like Ellsbury's days might be numbered, but I suppose Shane can play RF for a year or more...

His OBP has been at or below .327 for 2 of the last 3 years... hmmm...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

Trades will be coming, I'm sure.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Things are falling into place, but I'm not thinking dumping CC & Beckett, so we could sign Naps, Victorino, D Ross & Gomes was not what I had in mind (about the same yearly cost).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I get the appeal of having a strong defender in RF but a lot of Victorino's offensive pop came from playing in Philly. I just don't see him being worth anywhere near that much to us. Career .275 hitter trending down. Nothing great in terms of recent OBP or pop. He's almost a defensive OF replacement player on a top team at this point. Capable of being full time in a secondary market but I don't see him helping us win championships unpon first glance. Have to look at the hit chart and study the numbers I guess. That is probably more than Cody Ross commands I would think, by a significant margin. 

Maybe they really will trade Ellsbury. If they land a Sanchez maybe we have a shot but we are really pushing the envelope and why spend that much for a bridge type player? We have to land a stud pitcher now or why bother with all of this?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd rather us pool all that money and get someone really good.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think they will get a good pitcher. Not done yet.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I agree with southpaw777 on that last point. None of this makes sense unless they sign a decent starter like Sanchez or another one from that tier. They simply want to put a competitive team on the field in 2013 and are willing to blow some cash in order to do that. Our options are limited and they are doing the best they can given what is available at somewhat reasonable cash. i really do not like the Victorino deal as it is a major overpay IMO but they look to just be trying to give the team at least a chance to win in 2013. they don't want the team to be 15 games out at the all star break and lose the fan base, the TV revenue...etc. It's business.

We are still in rebuild mode. Ergo no long term deals on  any of these guys except for maybe a Sanchez.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I think Ellsbury will be shipped out of Boston for a good pitcher.  Maybe Salty as well.

Perhaps Cherington's "we want a guy who can backup at 1B, and hopefully do a little more" and "we are still looking at some outfielders" is hinting at a Nick Swisher signing coming up.  We'll just wait and see!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If we are spending all of this on offense and nothing on pitching, I'm totally giving up on Ben.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

read an article today that says once grienke signs the rest of the pitching will finally start to go. which is why only 1 pitcher has been taken off the board so far

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

read an article today that says once grienke signs the rest of the pitching will finally start to go. which is why only 1 pitcher has been taken off the board so far

[/QUOTE]

exactly mef. The market hasnt been set yet.

BJ Uptons 15M per set the market for OF'ers, so SV wouldve probably gotten 10-12M anyway. We overpaid to get him for less years. The tribe offered him 4/44, 11M per. So its a 2M overpay. Im fine with that.

I think Vic was obtained because a bigger move involving Ells will be happening soon.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I do not even see a "rumor"-related article about the Red Sox contacting McCarthy, Marcum or even Jackson.  

Cherington should be hunting down these pitchers and their agents.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

To be fair, the Sox were never rumored to be interested in Crawford and Lackey, so we don't always no what's going on.  They made an offer to Haren, and have been rumored to be interested in Sanchez, McCarthy, and Dempster.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

exactly mef. The market hasnt been set yet.

BJ Uptons 15M per set the market for OF'ers, so SV wouldve probably gotten 10-12M anyway. We overpaid to get him for less years. The tribe offered him 4/44, 11M per. So its a 2M overpay. Im fine with that.

I think Vic was obtained because a bigger move involving Ells will be happening soon.

[/QUOTE]

http://espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove12/story/_/id/8712502/baseball-pitching-market-pause-greinke

read and take notes to all the fools crying about why ben hasn't signed a starter yet.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

These last few days seem surreal.  Maybe I need to change the title of the next thread to "A Surrealistic Look At 2013: Part II".

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

These last few days seem surreal.  Maybe I need to change the title of the next thread to "A Surrealistic Look At 2013: Part II".

[/QUOTE]

lets wait for the roster to be somewhat finalized before you do that lol

also, are you more or less optimistic about your team than you were a week ago?