A Realistic Look At 2013: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: A Realistic Look At 2013: Part I

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I also haven't been posting much, but I have been following along. I agree with the notion that our biggest improvement in 2013 will come from a return to health of under-performers like Petey, Ells, Lackey, and Ortiz. I don't think Petey and Ortiz under-performed as much as their injuries prevented them from delivering the numbers we expect from them. We should also not discount the production we were getting, then stopped getting from Middlebrooks. I also think we will get a lift from John Farrell managing Lester and Buch, not to mention Bard and Aceves. I believe we should keep Ellsbury and see if we can get that monster "contract" year from him, and if we do get that production, we try to resign or cash in the draft pick. I think trading him now will be selling too low. I don't understand what the aquisitions mean to Kalish, whether the team is giving up on him or that Ellsbury is really earmarked for trade, but I like his (Kalish) game and think that he can be at least as good as Victorino at a fraction of the cost. That being said, I always liked Victorino's game, good speed, good glove, and I think his average and OBP will improve in Fenway, especially hitting later in the lineup. I never liked Cody Ross in right field at Fenway, although his overall game would be a big improvement over Gomes in left. I do believe that Ben is bringing these guys in to not just change the clubhouse dynamic, but also to bridge the gap before our future stars are ready.

I am sure there are several more shoes to drop. The guy who I have always liked is McCarthy and I would love to see Ben take a flyer on him. I am not excited about any of the other free agent pitchers, but I think a rotation of Lester, Buch, McCarthy, Lackey and Doubie, with the input of the new coaching staff, can be solid. And there are a few young arms in the wings, the two from the L.A. trade, Tazawa, and Morales. Ben Signed a very solid RHRP today in Uhera (sp?) and if the Bard and Aceves mysteries can be even partially solved then our bullpen will be very solid. I haven't seen or heard anyone speaking about the impact on our pitching of having great defense up the middle. All healthy, Ross catching, Iglesias, Petey and Ells will make our entire staff more effective than they were last year.

Of course, since I've posted all of this watch Ben go out and sign Hamilton and Greinke, trade Ellsbury and continue the makeover that way. I like my plan better, and if it fails then you can move Ells, Lester and even some of the new aquisitions at the deadline and start rebuilding it all again next year. The kids will all be that much closer as well.

[/QUOTE]

well said, i agree about jacoby. you have to keep him around and make an attempt to resign him when he hits FA. if you trade him away then that door pretty much closes.. if he goes elsewhere then you get the almighty comp pick

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Jacoby is gone- even if we offer him slightly more than anyone else (not likely).

Get what we can now and get over him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jacoby is gone- even if we offer him slightly more than anyone else (not likely).

Get what we can now and get over him.

[/QUOTE]

well you know my stance on the position so i think you know that doesn't compute with me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Boras said the Sox and him will sit down and talk extension in January.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He won't be back here.

I'll give 20:1 odds.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cherington: "3 years, $39 million is my offer."

Boras: "I was thinking, 7 years, $150 million." "I miss my talks with your mentor, Theo Epstein."

Cherington: "Four-letter-F-word" you." 

LOL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

he didn't say extension. he said contract (most likely talking about the value of his arbitration).

i really hope it turns into an extension BUT i don't wanna get my hopes up and start crying again LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]

If we are spending all of this on offense and nothing on pitching, I'm totally giving up on Ben.

[/QUOTE]

this is what I'm talking about. Spending bad money after bad.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If we are spending all of this on offense and nothing on pitching, I'm totally giving up on Ben.

[/QUOTE]

this is what I'm talking about. Spending bad money after bad.

[/QUOTE]

I wasn't for spending all this "bad money" in the first place, but my point was that if we are spending bad money, it should have been for pitching- not aging OF'ers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Iamme17, I'm not hard opposed to what the RS are doing. I'm willing to wait and see and support.  But I would offer this for discussion:  instead of offering three or four average positional players too much money over three years, why not go for two young studs who already have major league experience and potential and who will be part of winning in 2014 and beyond?  My choice would be one pitcher (like McCarthy) and one position player (like Alex Gordon).  I wasn't counting someone like Lava coming up from the minors as my young stud.  Add your regulars like Pedey and Papi, and then bring up several guys like Lava, plug them in, and let them grow.  An argument could be made that your best young players would improve with the top level of coaching vs. the best competition.  People like Pedey, Ells, etc. did pretty well when they came up.  I think the RS tend to keep their guys down longer than most but I get it when their big club looks like it did at the beginning of last year--but not when it looks like the end of last  year.  Someone like Gomes might look better at the beginning of the year, but someone like Lava might look better at the end and that might be better for the future of the franchise.  I'm not hating what they're doing, but I'm a little blah about it...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Moon, I'm pretty perplexed about the pitching.  I could easily see them getting 12 wins from Lackey,  I like the idea of Aceves being back in his former role, and as others here suggest, some guys like Doobie could grow a little.  I think their BP will be ok, especially if Bard comes back strong.  Much of the above might be aided by the return of the head coach.  But I was sure they would go for one solid starter and think that would help the whole staff.  I think I like the idea of Dickey.  To this point it would be hard to say the emphasis has been on pitching.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Critter23's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Moon, I'm pretty perplexed about the pitching.  I could easily see them getting 12 wins from Lackey,  I like the idea of Aceves being back in his former role, and as others here suggest, some guys like Doobie could grow a little.  I think their BP will be ok, especially if Bard comes back strong.  Much of the above might be aided by the return of the head coach.  But I was sure they would go for one solid starter and think that would help the whole staff.  I think I like the idea of Dickey.  To this point it would be hard to say the emphasis has been on pitching.

[/QUOTE]

but what other teams have had an emphasis on pitching this offseason? only 3 pitchers have been signed and 2 were traded.  there is still a plethora of pitching talent out there waiting for grienke to set the market. once that happens the rest of the dominoes will fall very quickly. it was smart of ben to get the position players out of the way so when the pitching market does pickup he can apply his undivided attention to it and get the best guy for the job.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

but what other teams have had an emphasis on pitching this offseason? only 3 pitchers have been signed and 2 were traded.  there is still a plethora of pitching talent out there waiting for grienke to set the market. once that happens the rest of the dominoes will fall very quickly. it was smart of ben to get the position players out of the way so when the pitching market does pickup he can apply his undivided attention to it and get the best guy for the job.

[/QUOTE]

I have not made any definitive judgements on ben's overall offseason moves. A lot depends on what he does to build up our staff for the mid/longterm.

I'm against the SV signing, wont complain about the Nap, Gomes & Ross signings though I would not have paid that much.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have not made any definitive judgements on ben's overall offseason moves. A lot depends on what he does to build up our staff for the mid/longterm.

I'm against the SV signing, wont complain about the Nap, Gomes & Ross signings though I would not have paid that much.

[/QUOTE]

maybe we overpaid a bit much for SV but hey, at least we didnt give BJ Upton 15 per for 5 freaking years!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

maybe we overpaid a bit much for SV but hey, at least we didnt give BJ Upton 15 per for 5 freaking years!!

[/QUOTE]

I'd have paid Angel Pagan $41M/4 rather than SV $39M/3. If it took $42 or 43M to get pagan here, I'd have prefered that to SV. H3LL! I'd rather have Pagan than Gomes and SV combined, even if both cost the same.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'd have paid Angel Pagan $41M/4 rather than SV $39M/3. If it took $42 or 43M to get pagan here, I'd have prefered that to SV. H3LL! I'd rather have Pagan than Gomes and SV combined, even if both cost the same.

[/QUOTE]

not sure if pagan would want to come here to play RF anyway. we have jacoby and JBJ for the forseeable future

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Trade Jacoby.

JBJ is just a prospect. If he turns out to be the real deal, we can find room for both of them or trade one.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Phillies have acquired Michael Young from the Rangers according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today (Twitter links). Young will receive $1.2MM in benefits in exchange for waiving his no-trade clause, but Nightengale says he told the Phillies he did not want an extension (Twitter links). The $1.2MM accounts for the state tax difference.

The Rangers have agreed to pay $10MM of the $16MM owed to Young next season according to Nightengale (on Twitter). Earlier today Evan Grant of The Dallas Morning News reported that Josh Lindblom and minor leaguer Lisalverto Bonilla would head to Texas in the trade, which MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan has confirmed. An announced is expected this afternoon.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#Yj3M4r7OLurVhOfQ.99 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Michael Young for a cost of only $6M/yr.

Ludwick for $15M/2 to the Reds.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wonder what comes next for Ben.

He needs to get the solid SP pick-up right.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I hope Cherington signs Marcum.  But I have a feeling that he won't. 

I heard that the Dodgers are closing in on a 6-year, $147 million deal with Greinke.  *shaking my head*

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Perhaps we should have a thread that says Realistic Look at the Future.

According to BB sources, FOX is about to sign a deal with the Dodgers at $6-7B for their TV rights. That is $240M/year. The Rangers have negotiated a similar deal to start the year after next. The Dodgers will blow right through the payroll tax limit at this point.

The Yankees always turn a profit, so after they control their payroll for a year, I expect that they will be bidding up players again. How will the Red Sox and NESN fare? It costs money to keep NESN going, while a huge contract from FOX costs nothing to maintain infrastructure. Will RS invest NESN profits in players?

Contracts will get even crazier because the money is there. Stanton will come up for free agency in a few years and make 7/210 easily. We already talked about 3/90 for Hamilton!!

Problem is that I can't fault the Dodgers for investing in their team. At least the management realizes that they are in a big market and are willing to field the best team possible. Better than the Marlin philosophy.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Perhaps we should have a thread that says Realistic Look at the Future.

According to BB sources, FOX is about to sign a deal with the Dodgers at $6-7B for their TV rights. That is $240M/year. The Rangers have negotiated a similar deal to start the year after next. The Dodgers will blow right through the payroll tax limit at this point.

The Yankees always turn a profit, so after they control their payroll for a year, I expect that they will be bidding up players again. How will the Red Sox and NESN fare? It costs money to keep NESN going, while a huge contract from FOX costs nothing to maintain infrastructure. Will RS invest NESN profits in players?

Contracts will get even crazier because the money is there. Stanton will come up for free agency in a few years and make 7/210 easily. We already talked about 3/90 for Hamilton!!

Problem is that I can't fault the Dodgers for investing in their team. At least the management realizes that they are in a big market and are willing to field the best team possible. Better than the Marlin philosophy.....

[/QUOTE]

It certainly looks like the direction of MLB is changing big time. It's hard to imagine the Sox not being able to keep up.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to louisthelipp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is this the only thread that Mike Farmer can complete a sentence on?

[/QUOTE]

Who is Mike Farmer?