A Realistic Look At 2013: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: A Realistic Look At 2013: Part I

I hope the Red Sox get Marcum.  Please do not get Dempster.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I hope they dont get either. But if I had to choose between the 2, Id go with marcum as well...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It might end up being Lohse.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I can't remember but wasn't Lackey's operation a TJ surgury. Pitchers usually lose control for a while but often gain 2-3 mph on their fastball. I think there is a good chance Lackey puts up decent numbers especially in the 2nd half. I'm pretty confident Buchholz will do well. If we can just get a De La rosa to emerge and maybe get Lester back on the beam we have a shot. Doubront might continue to improve and be a real decent #4 or 5.  

I prefer to be an optimist! YES!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can't remember but wasn't Lackey's operation a TJ surgury. Pitchers usually lose control for a while but often gain 2-3 mph on their fastball. I think there is a good chance Lackey puts up decent numbers especially in the 2nd half. I'm pretty confident Buchholz will do well. If we can just get a De La rosa to emerge and maybe get Lester back on the beam we have a shot. Doubront might continue to improve and be a real decent #4 or 5.  

I prefer to be an optimist! YES!

[/QUOTE]

At the winter meetings, there was some buzz about Lackey having a big year next year when it's all said and done.  One MLB.COM writer said he wouldn't be surprised if Lackey had a better year than any free agent pitcher out there, including Greinke. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Now, wishful thinking is just getting downright silly.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not a Lackey guy, but plenty of guys have come back from T.J. surgery and were better than before.  By the way, it's not "wishful thinking." Guys who actually work in baseball, you know, people who actually have a clue what they're talking about.  Go back to ridiculous trade proposals for guys that aren't available and clogging up the board with arguments with that idiot Softlaw.  By the way, the Sox wouldn't have given Angel Pagan a two year deal, never mind the 4/40 he got from the Giants... 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not a Lackey guy, but plenty of guys have come back from T.J. surgery and were better than before.  By the way, it's not "wishful thinking." Guys who actually work in baseball, you know, people who actually have a clue what they're talking about.  Go back to ridiculous trade proposals for guys that aren't available and clogging up the board with arguments with that idiot Softlaw.  By the way, the Sox wouldn't have given Angel Pagan a two year deal, never mind the 4/40 he got from the Giants... 

[/QUOTE]

I meant my statement as a good-natured razzing. Sorry you seemed to take it so harshly.

I do actually think Lackey could come back strong this year or next (or midyear). I also think Lester can have a big year. I also think Buch can stay healthy and repeat 2011. I also think Doubront can improve. What I sincerely don't think will happen, and my guess is that people who actually work in baseball woud agree with, is that all of these things are not very likely to happen at once. That has been my contention all along. I have been the eternal optimist for too long, and I'm trying to step back a notch. Maybe I've gone 2 notches back, and I need to adjust a bit more to the good, but I just don't see all 5 of our projected starters performing well in 2013, in fact I wouldn't be shocked if only 1 or 2 do very well. If I had to bet, I'd guess 2-3 will do well, 1-2 OK and 1-2 below expectations. Maybe Taz, de la Rosa, or Webster can rise to the occasion. We can always "wish".

I never said I was certain Pagan would sign for us for $550K or $1M more or that the Sox would ever have thought of offering him 4 years. I was just giving my opinion that out of all the signings so far, I'd prefer to have Pagan and Ludwick (and pay them slightly more to make it somewhat realistic) than Gomes and SV. I guess I'm not allowed to disagree with Sox management on hiw many years they might or might not have offered Pagan. They are baseball people, so I should just shut up, and maybe this board shoud be shut down.

As for who is available and who is not, maybe you have some internal connections to GM that I don't have, but because a GM says he's not looking to trade someone, certainly does not mean he may not be traded. It happens all the time, in fact an offer was made by KC for B Anderson and there have been countless trade talks involving Upton for months. Those are my two biggest trade target suggestions. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

I feel very BLAH about what's happened so far and the slow pitching developments.  I wish the pitching moves had come first.  Didn't someone get McCarthy for 13 mil/two years?  If that's true, I just don't get our inertia.  That seems pretty fair for a young and tested starter--and maybe even a little cheap since coming off an injury.  Maybe new players will look better when the games actually begin. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Critter23's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I feel very BLAH about what's happened so far and the slow pitching developments.  I wish the pitching moves had come first.  Didn't someone get McCarthy for 13 mil/two years?  If that's true, I just don't get our inertia.  That seems pretty fair for a young and tested starter--and maybe even a little cheap since coming off an injury.  Maybe new players will look better when the games actually begin. 

[/QUOTE]

the slow moves on the pitching front was due to the grienke sweepstakes. and the sox aren't looking for a lottery ticket pitcher.. we need a dependable guy who can go out every 5th day and give us innings.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Dempster??? No Hamilton at 5 years????  Hmmm.... Like I said before, this cannot even be considered a bridge year. Seems like "in the river looking up at the bridge" year.

With the strength of the AL East, it will be a long year for us. Toronto and Tampa will fight it out for 1 and 2. Baltimore will do OK. Yankees and Orioles will fight for 3 and 4. Red Sox are last with ~ 70-75 wins.

I would still try to trade Lackey for Morales. If Napoli does not good through, this is a good alternative.

I might revise my prediction if somehow we can obtain a young player like Upton or Stanton.

I am always optimistic about the Red Sox, but a lot of players will have to have banner years for us to compete. High payroll??? What kind of bu11 is that?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I'm not ruling out a solid year in 2013 but I wouldn't bet on it either. This seems like a 90win year max but miracles have happened before. Those of us who remember 67 can attest to that.

Sometimes just one guy can carry a good team and make it great. For example Yaz in 67. That guy was unreal in 1967 and hopefully we can get a guy like Ellsbury, Ortiz, Pedroia, Middlebrooks or Napoli to just catch fire and carry this team on his back all year long.

That might be what we need to make the playoffs. I'm optimistic about our starters. They should be much better in 2013. And our pen looks good also. 

Who knows. I'll give it a ride anyway...because I'm a fan da  mn it!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

On the bright side, so far the Red Sox farm system remains virtually intact (despite the trades of Zach Stewart, Sandy Rosario, Danny Valencia and Jeff Kobermus).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Great! We have a farm system! And in 3-4-5 years, our "farmers" will be playing those of other teams in 3-4-5 years, when suddenly we will discover that our prospects are about as good as everyone else's prospects.

Hmmm.... I see a trend here...

I firmly believe that we have to trade some of the "farm" to get good, young player(s) that have already proven themselves. I do not see any evidence of that yet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Critter23's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

the slow moves on the pitching front was due to the grienke sweepstakes. and the sox aren't looking for a lottery ticket pitcher.. we need a dependable guy who can go out every 5th day and give us innings.

[/QUOTE]

Like Wakefield. ERA in the stratosphere, but man, can he eat innings.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Balh, what we have is a realist baseball team for 2013 and 2014. This team will be competitive in every game. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Not impressed by a single offseason move.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

David Ross and Koji Uehara represent solid free agent signings.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

David Ross and Koji Uehara represent solid free agent signings.

[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected: one move was solid: Uehara.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great! We have a farm system! And in 3-4-5 years, our "farmers" will be playing those of other teams in 3-4-5 years, when suddenly we will discover that our prospects are about as good as everyone else's prospects.

Hmmm.... I see a trend here...

I firmly believe that we have to trade some of the "farm" to get good, young player(s) that have already proven themselves. I do not see any evidence of that yet.

[/QUOTE]

Teams are asking for the moon in any trade for top talent. The Sox shouldnt sell the farm for guys like Upton etc..
    We build the farm up so we can have consistant home grown talent flowing up. The FA contracts will get even more ridiculous over the next few years and the best way to go will be home grown talent with a couple FA for fillers.

If you expected them to be a ws champion this year, you were fooling yourself. Sure, anything can and probably will happen in MLB. But It was going to take more than 1 year to rebuild this team. MN, SV, DR, RD and JG are all fillers for a couple years while our own talent arrives. This years FA class was nothing special anyway.

I think because of the end of 2011 and 2012 people think our pitching is terrible and thats just not true. Lester has been one of the best ALE and MLB pitchers from 2008-2011. With 3 pitching coaches in 2 years along with picking up some bad habits from beckett its no wonder the pitching has gone downhill. That doesnt mean hes finished like some here think.

Buch looked great last year and Dooubie started, hit a wall, then finished strong. Lackey will prob start out rough but could finish strong. And Im hoping Dempester (although I dont like the signing) can at least keep us in the games. John Farrell should be a calming, stable presence for these guys and I believe that will help them turn it around. I aslo think Bard will bounce back.

Weve always had a strong offense when were healthy, so Im not really worried about that.

Maybe Im overly optomistic, but in reality all this could very well happen. These guys are all capable of winning 15+ games. Now, I dont think all of it will happen but I believe most of it can and will.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

What would people think about trading Ellsbury and Lavarnway to Texas for Elvis Andrus?

They have a highly touted SS in the wings, and have holes at CF and C with not too much on the market.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I dont think they would do it. They didnt let him go for J. Upton, so I dont think Ells and an unproven player will do it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

That was before Hamilton went off the market, they might be a bit more desperate now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to titletownfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That was before Hamilton went off the market, they might be a bit more desperate now.

[/QUOTE]

upton has 3 years of control at reasonable rates. Ells has one.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The way the Sox are building this team (if thats what you want to call it), trading Ells doesn't fit their busniess (if thats what you want to call it) model.

I'm all for it at this point, since I see a less than 1% chance at a ring in 2013.