A Realistic Look At 2013: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic Look At 2013: Part I

Trade Ellsbury (+ cash), Salty, Tazawa, Morales, and a prospect below #10 to the A's for one of  Blackley, Parker or Milone (all with 4-5 years of team control) plus Coco Crisp ($7M in 2013 with club option for '14 at $7.5M or $1M buyout), and Seth Smith (2 arbs left & a guy who kills RHPs).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe just Salty straight up for Seth could happen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

i would prefer that. although i think they are going to go with kalish in LF w/ gomes. but the OF depth would be nice in case anyone gets injured. i think is Kalish's time to shine and finally make an impact after a couple years of injuries

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If the Sox didnt spend any $$ and traded away all their prospects, that would go against everything They said they were going to do. If they went on the cheap, it wouldve got even more nasty than it usually gets.

I think the analogy is pretty accurate on that post from Hill. I also believe BC knew this and already had a plan before the season ended, with the big trade being the start of the process. Ben knew who he was going to target for FA, making a quick move to get Ross and Gomes. He just waited until the market set itself for the other guys he wanted who were higher on the FA list.

The Sox are counting on core guys like Papi, Pedey, Ellsbury, Middlebrooks, Buch and lester to be the ones that lead this team. DR, SV, JG, MN (maybe?) were brought in as complimentary guys and help change the clubhouse vibe. They werent just looking for production, they wanted a good fit and attitude just as much. Giving up prospects for anything other than a top return wasnt going to happen. FA cost more than some would like, but its not hurting the team, now or for the teams future.

Im still waiting for ST to start playing ballgames together as a team and how Farrell, now as the Manager, can help this team and certain players. Can Lester and Buch, who are both in ther early prime, get things right and the other "core guys" play to their potential? Will injuries hamper this team yet again? Will the new additions gel good and play to their norms? That will ultimately give us the answer to whether all these transactions this off season were the right ones for what they wanted to accomplish long term.

I question a couple moves, but try and understand it from where their standing. A players salary matters a little. I obviously dont ever want them to give 20M per for 7 years to a punch and judy hitter again. But I also dont mind what theyre doing, which is a bit of an over pay for less years. We still have a lot of $$ to sign a couple more players, so its fine as far as Im concerned.

If a couple of these prospects work out then I expect more FA moves for complimentary guys like these ones more often. You may not like the prices or think is a good "value and fit", but thats the name of the FA game and prices are only going up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If they went on the cheap, it wouldve got even uglyier than it usually gets.

Nobody here, except softy advocated going "on the cheap".

Let's assume we did not make any of the trades I suggested (for Upton or Myers and Anderson) and kept all the kids.

Do you really think people would have been more upset than now had we signed only Naploi, McCarthy, Gomes, Ross and Uehara?

I also think many of us would have been excited by a Lester (& maybe Morales)  trade for Myers. Trading Salty and Breslow (2 FAs to be) and maybe Ellsbury may have been hard for some to swallow, but we'd be way better positioned for 2014 and beyond if we had.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The fact that the Red Sox signed catcher David Ross and are on the verge of signing catcher/1B/DH Mike Napoli is an indication of the confidence their 93-loss team has in catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia. The 94-win Athletics are unlikely to turn to Saltalmacchia when the the A's have a suitable tandem at catcher in George Kottaras and Derek Norris.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

The fact that the Red Sox signed catcher David Ross and are on the verge of signing catcher/1B/DH Mike Napoli is an indication of the confidence their 93-loss team has in catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia. The 94-win Athletics are unlikely to turn to Saltalmacchia when the the A's have a suitable tandem at catcher in George Kottaras and Derek Norris.

"suitable" is debatable, but I respect your opinion. (How much confidence did the Brewers show in GK?)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

:)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

"suitable" is debatable, but I respect your opinion. (How much confidence did the Brewers show in GK?)

From an Oakland Athletics blog:

"As far as the 2013 A's go, catcher and first base are two positions that are pretty clearly set. Right-handed hitter Derek Norris and left-handed hitter George Kottaras will make up the A's catching tandem. This likely won't be a strict platoon though, as the A's view Norris as their catcher of the future. I'd expect Norris to get between 350-400 at-bats, with Kottaras getting somewhere between 200-250 at-bats -- of course, performance on the field could have a big effect on playing time behind the plate."

http://athleticsfarm.com/2012/12/19/is-the-as-roster-set-and-the-river-cats-roster-too/

Scroll down.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

From an Oakland Athletics blog:

"As far as the 2013 A's go, catcher and first base are two positions that are pretty clearly set. Right-handed hitter Derek Norris and left-handed hitter George Kottaras will make up the A's catching tandem. This likely won't be a strict platoon though, as the A's view Norris as their catcher of the future. I'd expect Norris to get between 350-400 at-bats, with Kottaras getting somewhere between 200-250 at-bats -- of course, performance on the field could have a big effect on playing time behind the plate."

http://athleticsfarm.com/2012/12/19/is-the-as-roster-set-and-the-river-cats-roster-too/

Scroll down.

We'll see as the season progesses.

What teams do you say are contenders who need a catcher who hits RHPs better than all but about 5 MLB teams did last year?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

What teams do you say are contenders who need a catcher who hits RHPs better than all but about 5 MLB teams did last year?

They're all in the AL East: Tampa Bay Rays, New York Yankees and Toronto Blue Jays.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm not sure how many of these teams improved themselves at the catcher position this winter, but here are the worst by OPS in 2012:

Mets   .567  (.581 vs RHPs)

A's     .593   (.578)

Cubs  .614   (.604)

Rays  .616   (.584)

Padres .638  (.669)

Angels .644  (.637)

Marlins .646  (.691)

Nats     .663  (.641)

Jays     .680  (.662)

Royals  .683  (.634)

Pirates .684  (.703)

Astros  .685  (.740)

Yanks   .688  (.639)

Reds     .691  (.650)

(Mariners were .715 vs RHPs in 2012.)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If they went on the cheap, it wouldve got even uglyier than it usually gets.

Nobody here, except softy advocated going "on the cheap".

You dont think people would be pizzed if Henry locked his wallet and said no more than 80M, If the A's can do it so can we? really? I think most in RSN know they can and would want them to spend that $$ instead of pocket it.

Let's assume we did not make any of the trades I suggested (for Upton or Myers and Anderson) and kept all the kids.

Do you really think people would have been more upset than now had we signed only Naploi, McCarthy, Gomes, Ross and Uehara?

"fans" arent looking at it from the Sox POV. Thats the problem. They only see what they wouldve done or what they think the sox should do with limited information compared to a MLB team. This is exactly what BC said he was going to do. No "big splashes", but he would spend $$$. Holding on to prospects for the future as well. Signing only short term deals. He kept his word.

I also think many of us would have been excited by a Lester (& maybe Morales)  trade for Myers. Trading Salty and Breslow (2 FAs to be) and maybe Ellsbury may have been hard for some to swallow, but we'd be way better positioned for 2014 and beyond if we had.

If he made the Myers deal for Lester, BC shouldve been sent to a mental home. You dont trade a proven MLB starter whos had great success in the toughest division at the most elite level for an OF'er whos never stepped in a MLB batters box. Thats just dumb. Salty Breslow and Ells would be much easier to swallow. Really? MLB pitching is at a premium, as we all can tell. EJax 4 yrs 13M per. Dempster 13.25M per. Grienke was brutally overpaid as well. Trading Lester would weaken an already suspect part of our roster only to have some kid parked in AAA because our OF is already stacked up unless we make a trade. That trade wouldve been dumb on so many levels for the Sox.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lester could have been replaced by Sanchez.

Let's revisit this one in 3-4 years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Sanchez isnt nearly as good, but Ok. we will revisit.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

you been smoking on the ganja moon? no way, they're the same age, been in the MLB for the same # of years and Lester is beating him in almost every major stat.

JL                    AS

ERA           3.76                 3.75

Whip         1.306               1.346

ERA+         119                   110

K/9           8.2                    7.6

IP            1163                   869

BB/9         3.3                    3.3

W/L*      85-48                48-51

*I don't out much merit into W/L but some people do

Lets get real moon... give me Lester over Sanchez any day

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I think 2013 will be the year when the Blue Jays finally make the playoffs. 

On paper, they are a well-balanced team with speed, power and very good pitching. 

In 1997, although Toronto got Roger Clemens to go along with 1996 Cy Young award winner, Pat Hentgen and 1996 ERA champ, Juan Guzman, the team had no offense.  But in 2013, they have plenty of offense. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

On paper, they are a well-balanced team with speed, power and very good pitching. 

In 1997, although Toronto got Roger Clemens to go along with 1996 Cy Young award winner, Pat Hentgen and 1996 ERA champ, Juan Guzman, the team had no offense.  But in 2013, they have plenty of offense. 

They have def improved, but at a significant cost. On paper they look like a 1st place team. On the field? We'll have to wait and see.

All in all it was a smart move to make by the jays while there is a lot of uncertainty in the ALE right now. If a team was going to go for it, now would be the time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

They have def improved, but at a significant cost. On paper they look like a 1st place team. On the field? We'll have to wait and see.

All in all it was a smart move to make by the jays while there is a lot of uncertainty in the ALE right now. If a team was going to go for it, now would be the time.

agreed, i've said for a couplle years now to my Jays friends that they are 1-2 big moves away from being a contender. they definitely made the plunge. despite being division rivals i don't mind the blue jays much and would be happer if they won the WS than most teams.

we'll see how it all plays out, i didn't think much of J Johnson but i do like Reyes. Burlhe is a bum, Melky should be interesting and Dickey could be a crapshoot. definitely an interesting season on all fronts.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

you been smoking on the ganja moon? no way, they're the same age, been in the MLB for the same # of years and Lester is beating him in almost every major stat.

JL                    AS

ERA           3.76                 3.75

Whip         1.306               1.346

ERA+         119                   110

K/9           8.2                    7.6

IP            1163                   869

BB/9         3.3                    3.3

W/L*      85-48                48-51

*I don't out much merit into W/L but some people do

Lets get real moon... give me Lester over Sanchez any day

It's pretty close, but the real comparison should be:

Lester vs Sanchez and Myers.

I'll take the the second choice "any day".

Also, since I have all but written off 2013, I'll take the many many years of team control of Myers after 2013 over the one option year of Lester after 2013 @ $13M.

Let's look at the last 3 years:

JL                    AS

ERA           3.85                 3.70

Whip         1.28                1.30

tERA         4.06                  3.73

K/9           8.5                    8.1

IP             605                    587

BB/9         3.4                    2.8

W/L*      43-32                30-34

Almost a complete push here, to me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wonder how Bailey is feeling right now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I wouldnt be worried if I were him. Hes been a consistently good closer. His problem is injury. After a full off season he should be good to go come ST. Hanrahan has had control issues and I dont believe they got him to start the year to close, more of insurance in case something happens like last year.

Although it will keep them both, hopefully, at the top of their game. Bailey is an AS closer when healthy. Hanrahan is also very good when he finds his control. Im still waiting to find out who the other players are.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Trade Ellsbury (+ cash), Salty, Tazawa, Morales, and a prospect below #10 to the A's for one of  Blackley, Parker or Milone (all with 4-5 years of team control) plus Coco Crisp ($7M in 2013 with club option for '14 at $7.5M or $1M buyout), and Seth Smith (2 arbs left & a guy who kills RHPs).

Not Tazawa, please, he is one of the last guys I would want to see traded.  He was sensational last year.  Batters hit 227/257/301 against him.  He could be about to come into his own as a premier pitcher after obviously very successful TJ surgery.  He's young and he has had experience starting as well as relieving. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Motivated, would be my guess.

Sections
Shortcuts