Re: A Realistic Look At 2013: Part I
posted at 12/30/2012 1:54 AM EST
I think there are still a few ways to go regarfding the pitching staff:
1) roll the dice and have a go with the current staff. We have talent, but not consistent winners. Lester, Buch, Lackey, Dempster, Doubront is nothing to sneeze at.
I just sneezed. Hand me a tissue.
2) Sign a Lohse type, best available SP from FA. This would be Doubront/Lackey/Dempster insurance. Early injuries or ineffectiveness could be quickly replace with comparable talent, but Lester and Buch would still have to take the top two spots convincingly.
I don't see Lohse as an answer, unless we use him to fill the role of a pitcher we end up trading to upgrade somewhere.
3) trade for a gavin floyd/brett anderson type. Similar to #2 above, except they are more of a 2/3 then a 3-5 type pitcher. Still need Lester/buch to step up big. Have to give up big talent in this scenario, maybe multiple top prospects or Doubront plus lesser prospects.
I totally agree with this choice. I know it is hard to get a number 1, but Anderson has the potential to be there soon, and certainly could be a solid #2 in 2013. Floyd has had the numbers to justify him being labelled a solid #2 over the last 3-4 years. His numbers place him in the top 25-35 starters in MLB.
4) Go get an ace option 1. Trade the farm for him, possibly including morales/tarazwa/doubront/aceves types. This would make for the best short term team with ace, lester, bucj, lackey,dempster as the staff.
Not many teams are willing to part with an ace. Even if you found one, it would cost the world to get him.
5) Go get an ace option 2. Trade buch or lester in a deal for a more solid ace. Wouldn't have to give up the farm with one of these two included, but would not make the huge short term gain that option 4 would, but would not sacrifice the future either.
This is more possible than #4, and we could also trade 2 of our #4, 5, and 6 starters to get a #3 type.
I think they need to go options 2 or 3 myself. I just do not feel comfortable with #1. They are deep, but deep at the bottom, not the top as in previous years. I would be happy with a lohse or floyd to round out the team. I think they need to move lavarnway/salty, iglesis, aceves/morales, kalish plus prospects to get a floyd, or trade them for more complete/unblocked prospects.
I still think we should trade all players who will be FAs after 2013 that we are not extending. Get the best prospects possible. Then trade some prospects along with a starter and go for a serious upgrade in the rotation.