A Realistic Look At 2013: Part I

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic Look At 2013: Part I

No, if you read my posts, I have been saying we need to get a solid SP and/or trade for Upton or Stanton and we can be highly competitive. I have not given up on the Sox, because this winter is not over yet. I don't need to try and fool myself into thinking that at this time we are serious contenders to enjoy watching the Sox or any baseball game for that matter. I enjoy baseball for what it is: the best game ever invented. I don't need pink glasses to enjoy the game.

I am also not all about winning this year as long as we are making strides to improve our club in the long run. I am dissapointed with that direction so far, but have come out and said I have "not given up on Ben yet and he deserves a chance to prove himself". So, please stop doing your softy impersonation of misrepresenting my positions.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I honestly think Cherington overpaid for a couple players but considering the aailable options, and that he didn't lose a single pick and didn't commit to any long term contracts, He has done all right to me. The Dodger trade alone should have warranted at least a C grade. Moonie, I'm glad I never took any classes from you! 

[/QUOTE]

If we go back to the Dodger trade, then I'd give Ben a B or B-, but for the winter alone, I'd go with a D.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Dodger trade was amazing. I don't know what it is they are trying to do  now though.... it doesn't look good to me. I may be the only one in favor of the Victorino signing. I like getting the closer from Pittsburgh the more I think about it. 

I still see this team moving Elles in July, maybe Lester, and any number of the new guys should this team be under .500

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dodger trade was amazing. I don't know what it is they are trying to do  now though.... it doesn't look good to me. I may be the only one in favor of the Victorino signing. I like getting the closer from Pittsburgh the more I think about it. 

I still see this team moving Elles in July, maybe Lester, and any number of the new guys should this team be under .500

[/QUOTE]

Agree on Ells, B. Not sure about Lester. Depends on his performance, more than the teams.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Those picks will be crucial to putting us over the top in a few years. Now is the era of hoarding picks and being judicious in signing players which can help a team win. I wouldn't be surprised if Carl Crawford comes back with a really strong year and is a heck of a player in LA but NWIH he was ever going to be worth that contract to us. LA's new TV deal is off the charts, as is the situation in NYC for the Yanks with the new stadium. We could try to compete in the same manner with a huge new ballpark etc...but wouldn't we want to keep Fenway and not do it with big money only? I like our approach. The Redsox are spending a lot of money still. We can't complain about the FO's effort to win.

There just wasn't much talent available, particularly at a low cost in the FA market. And few teams want to trade top starting pitching prospects like Webster and De La Rosa, which is the way most great starting rotations is now built. If either of those guys hits that deal clearly comes down positive for us. We probably were not going to be able to position this team to win in 2013 no matter what we did. Or in 2014 for that matter either. So what did Cherington do? He did the best he could with the hand dealt to him. He unloaded crippling contracts and guys who were malcontents. Unfortunately he had to unload Adrian also but that was the pprice of getting rid of Crawford's contract. Was it necessary to reload? I think clearly given the past 2 years.

Our best shot of winning it all again is to build another strong core of talent to peak at the same time in maybe 3-4 years. Even after the young guns like Bradley and Bogaerts emerge on the scene ( if they make it ), it is very likely that it will still take another year or 2 for them to become the mlb players they are capable of being. We are probably looking at 2015 or 2016 if things work as planned. So,....no deals over 3 years as a result. Ben can bob and weave as opportunities arise.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

We have the #7 pick and a full slate of money to sign prospects since we retained all of our pick slots. We are extremely well positioned with one of the strongest farms in baseball already. We have a solid team going into 2013. We did our best. We can't know if certain players were available in a trade at a reasonable cost. We can't know who didn't want to join the rebuilding effort. We can't know how much money Henry really wants to spend given his recent financial setbacks. I was not a fan at all of Cherington at first but I think overall he has made a number of solid decisions, even though I do think he has overpaid on several occasions. The pieces are fitting together. It does appear that he has a plan.

If we can get good pitching, this team has a shot. The best shot we had a hope of attaining this winter.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Hanrahan trade would be great if I thought we had a real chance at winning this year, and maybe with a big move we still can be, but as of now, I'd rather have 4 years of Melancon and the long shots that Sands or Pimental will rise and shine than 1 year of a decent closer on a team destined for 3rd place at best.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

We have the #7 pick and a full slate of money to sign prospects since we retained all of our pick slots. We are extremely well positioned with one of the strongest farms in baseball already. We have a solid team going into 2013. We did our best. We can't know if certain players were available in a trade at a reasonable cost. We can't know who didn't want to join the rebuilding effort. We can't know how much money Henry really wants to spend given his recent financial setbacks. I was not a fan at all of Cherington at first but I think overall he has made a number of solid decisions, even though I do think he has overpaid on several occasions. The pieces are fitting together. It does appear that he has a plan.

If we can get good pitching, this team has a shot. The best shot we had a hope of attaining this winter.

[/QUOTE]

I can't wait for the 7th pick! It's been a long time since we had one that high, and I hear this is a deep draft. (We also get the 7th pick in the 2nd and following rounds as well!)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can't wait for the 7th pick! It's been a long time since we had one that high, and I hear this is a deep draft. (We also get the 7th pick in the 2nd and following rounds as well!)

[/QUOTE]

dark clouds with silver linings. i'll have to take your word on the depth of the draft as i have no idea. but i guess if there was a time to have good draft picks it would be this one.

i hear good things about the guys in last years draft too. Its nice to know our system is being filled with quality talent. we'll see how it equates in the coming years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

[QUOTE]

The Hanrahan trade would be great if I thought we had a real chance at winning this year, and maybe with a big move we still can be, but as of now, I'd rather have 4 years of Melancon and the long shots that Sands or Pimental will rise and shine than 1 year of a decent closer on a team destined for 3rd place at best.

[/QUOTE]

Moon, I understand the disconnect in bringing in a potentially one-year closer on a team without true championship capabilities, but I have seen both Melancon and Pimental pitch and am not al all impressed with either. I never saw Sands play but he did put up video-game type numbers in AAA for LA, but he did it in a ballpark that dramatically inflates offensive production. Hanrahan could also be another trading chip down the line to help with the reload. Having said all that, I still think this team wins more than it loses in 2013, channeling Dick Williams in 1967;)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

dark clouds with silver linings. i'll have to take your word on the depth of the draft as i have no idea. but i guess if there was a time to have good draft picks it would be this one.

i hear good things about the guys in last years draft too. Its nice to know our system is being filled with quality talent. we'll see how it equates in the coming years.

[/QUOTE]

We've done a pretty good with sandwich picks and 2nd rounders too, so maybe our high 2nd rounder will net us a good one.

(Here's some of the good ones)

2011: #40 Jackie Bradley

2010: 36 Brentz/ 39 Ranaudo

2005: 42 Buchholtz/ 45 Lowrie/ 47 Bowden

2004: Pedey

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Moon, I understand the disconnect in bringing in a potentially one-year closer on a team without true championship capabilities, but I have seen both Melancon and Pimental pitch and am not al all impressed with either. I never saw Sands play but he did put up video-game type numbers in AAA for LA, but he did it in a ballpark that dramatically inflates offensive production. Hanrahan could also be another trading chip down the line to help with the reload. Having said all that, I still think this team wins more than it loses in 2013, channeling Dick Williams in 1967;)

[/QUOTE]

Melancon did look bad last year, but relievers often have bad years at some point in their career, and he had a couple nice years in Houston (2.85/1.211). 

I'm not upset by this trade, but it is taking away some chance of future benefit. Overall, however, Ben has preserved our prospects this winter and added greatly to the youth in the Dodger trade.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Melancon did look bad last year, but relievers often have bad years at some point in their career, and he had a couple nice years in Houston (2.85/1.211). 

I'm not upset by this trade, but it is taking away some chance of future benefit. Overall, however, Ben has preserved our prospects this winter and added greatly to the youth in the Dodger trade.

[/QUOTE]

yeah i would have been fine if melancon was still on the staff. I wasn't convinced he was a failure but im not exactly sorry to see him go. JH is a great addition even at 1 year. he can easily be moved at the deadline and his value will skyrocket if a contenders closer goes down or falls apart. It could turn into Melancon + prospects for a highly touted pitching prospect.. even if it doesn't we'll still have a killer BP in 2013 and that can go a long way

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yeah i would have been fine if melancon was still on the staff. I wasn't convinced he was a failure but im not exactly sorry to see him go. JH is a great addition even at 1 year. he can easily be moved at the deadline and his value will skyrocket if a contenders closer goes down or falls apart. It could turn into Melancon + prospects for a highly touted pitching prospect.. even if it doesn't we'll still have a killer BP in 2013 and that can go a long way

[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure what a "long way" is possible, but his trade value could be huge if he is doing well through July.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

The trade for the closer baffled me to no end..... but after a few days I started to like the player and forgot that I didn't "get" the move.

I suppose the last thing we needed was a closer... maybe in July if we were in contention.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The trade for the closer baffled me to no end..... but after a few days I started to like the player and forgot that I didn't "get" the move.

I suppose the last thing we needed was a closer... maybe in July if we were in contention.

[/QUOTE]

"Extra" pitching never hurts, but my biggest concern was giving up several years of future chances of contributions for one year- a year in which we are not expected to be highly competitive anyways.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The knock on Melancon (fair or not, but it's very real) is that he is just not a "big market" guy, which goes back to his Yankee days.  Unfortunately, he did nothing to shake that reputation while he was here.  He is supposedly a good guy and he has great stuff, but he very likely wasn't coming back, regardless if the Hanrahan deal presented itself or not.  My guess is that he does very well in Pittsburgh, and this was just a case of another trade where the "stats" don't tell much of the story...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The knock on Melancon (fair or not, but it's very real) is that he is just not a "big market" guy, which goes back to his Yankee days.  Unfortunately, he did nothing to shake that reputation while he was here.  He is supposedly a good guy and he has great stuff, but he very likely wasn't coming back, regardless if the Hanrahan deal presented itself or not.  My guess is that he does very well in Pittsburgh, and this was just a case of another trade where the "stats" don't tell much of the story...

This may or may not be true about Melancon, and certainly there is some evidence to support that view, but I must caution against using small sample sizes to make definitive judgements about any player, especially a relief pitcher under 27.

Melancon only pitched 20.1 innings with the Yanks from ages 24-25 (his first 2 seasons in MLB).

He then had 92.1 IP with Houston, so he was still a relative ML pup when he came here last year. He certainly struggled in his 45 IP here, and I'm not in anyway saying I think we gave up a great pitcher or even someone who has a good chance to become a good pitcher, but he does have the potential to pitch like the 95 IP with Houston (2.85/1.211 with almost a K per IP). 

If we were strong contenders, I'd love this trade, but since we are not, I'm not thrilled by it and not upset by it either... just pointing out that it wasn't a trade that helps our longer term future.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

This may or may not be true about Melancon, and certainly there is some evidence to support that view, but I must caution against using small sample sizes to make definitive judgements about any player, especially a relief pitcher under 27.

Melancon only pitched 20.1 innings with the Yanks from ages 24-25 (his first 2 seasons in MLB).

He then had 92.1 IP with Houston, so he was still a relative ML pup when he came here last year. He certainly struggled in his 45 IP here, and I'm not in anyway saying I think we gave up a great pitcher or even someone who has a good chance to become a good pitcher, but he does have the potential to pitch like the 95 IP with Houston (2.85/1.211 with almost a K per IP). 

If we were strong contenders, I'd love this trade, but since we are not, I'm not thrilled by it and not upset by it either... just pointing out that it wasn't a trade that helps our longer term future.

[/QUOTE]
    I don't think the whispers that he is not suited for big markets have anything to do with statistical sample sizes, small or not.  It could be a number of things, but where there is smoke, there is usually fire in these cases.  Whether or not the Sox will be competitive next year is certainly debatable, but I don't think trying to improve bullpen depth by trading guys who didnt really figure into future plans is a bad thing.  If the Sox are competitive, Hanrahan should be a part of it.  If not, he'll likely have value at the deadline.  There's also the possibility they'll re-sign him this off season if he works out.  They could also get a pick if he walks.  I don't see any downside here at all, especially when you consider the fact that they didn't give up anyone who they considered to be part of the future.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't think the whispers that he is not suited for big markets have anything to do with statistical sample sizes, small or not.  It could be a number of things, but where there is smoke, there is usually fire in these cases.  Whether or not the Sox will be competitive next year is certainly debatable, but I don't think trying to improve bullpen depth by trading guys who didnt really figure into future plans is a bad thing.  If the Sox are competitive, Hanrahan should be a part of it.  If not, he'll likely have value at the deadline.  There's also the possibility they'll re-sign him this off season if he works out.  They could also get a pick if he walks.  I don't see any downside here at all, especially when you consider the fact that they didn't give up anyone who they considered to be part of the future.

The possible draft pick gain is huge, but we could have signed him as a FA next winter anyways, so I don't see much a plus on any 2014 and beyond influence.

It will be hard to ever prove who did better in this trade, because even if melancon becomes a great or very good reliever with the Pirates, people will say, "he could not have done that under the spotlight of Boston".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Although this list does not count significant arbitration figures for players like Ellsbury, it is insightful in terms of projecting forward. Financially, the team has a ton of payroll flexibility hitting around 2015. this if from Cot's baseball contracts ( BP ):

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tz8qHiYrIzlFtVnly7gibjw&output=html

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

A big factor in the Stephen Drew deal was his potential to generate a Type A pick. In 2014 if he does well. We may have 2 #1 picks if Ellsbury leaves also. We may also have zero if neither performs as needed but they both have a chance to be worth a #1 pick. I can't see that happening with Hanrahan under any circumstances.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

A big factor in the Stephen Drew deal was his potential to generate a Type A pick. In 2014 if he does well. We may have 2 #1 picks if Ellsbury leaves also. We may also have zero if neither performs as needed but they both have a chance to be worth a #1 pick. I can't see that happening with Hanrahan under any circumstances.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, $13M for Hanrahan would be a big stretch.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The owners must love this new CBA. It's got to be saving some money for a lot of clubs and making it a lot easier to stay competitive.