A Realistic Look At 2013: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic Look At 2013: Part I

At this rate we may end up with the 9th or 10th pick instead of 6 or 7th.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

(Special warning to softy: have your mom explain to you that this is not moonslav's plan, but rather just a presentation of what could be if management reverted back to their old traditional method of building a team.) - moonslav59

I had to laugh at this part.... u2 are funny.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

(Special warning to softy: have your mom explain to you that this is not moonslav's plan, but rather just a presentation of what could be if management reverted back to their old traditional method of building a team.) - moonslav59

I had to laugh at this part.... u2 are funny.

I doubt even that warning will work, but I'm glad you got a chuckle or two out of it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Moon, would you bring back Cook next year?  He's another guy (like Khalish) who I want to like and root for but he just doesn't seem to grab his chance.  Though he won last night, he seems to be a five innings pitcher who does fine as long as his pitch is down in the zone, but if he's up, then he's going to get bombed from inning #1.  I'm glad he's getting these starts so we can take a good look at him, but to me he's more of a long reliever at this stage. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

To me Cook is a lot like Wakefield, a cheap back-of-the rotation guy and useful as such.  He's pitched fairly well his last three starts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Except that Wakefield actually pitched well for most of his career, whereas Cook has been terrible most of his career.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe his best role is long relief/spot start. He's OK as a bridge to 2014, but I don't see him as an important player for our longer term future.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We already have too many #5 slot starters. We need a #1 or a couple #2's at the very least.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Cook is probably a national league #5. His last 3 starts give him some hope for that. And one of the biggest reasons for that option is that he will be cheap.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I still don't get why we are giving him the opportunity to showcase his "value" for his own good- not ours.  I think we could be learning more about Tazwa or Mortensen by giving them a start or two.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It is interesting that the Sox do play guys like Loney also. It is about winning and doing the right thing for the players sometimes also. Maybe Mortensen and Tazawa just are not stretched out. Maybe seeing a guy or 2 starting from the minors would be nice also but they are not always completely healthy or they don't want to push their innings projections. Lots of factors.

It will be interesting if we can get some value from Lackey next year. I bet we can.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Hopefully, we will see much the same line-up as is now playing in Tampa, with the obvious additions of Ortiz and Middlebrooks. Gomez and Loney will split 1B and the catching will stay the same. Ciriaco is the best athlete on the team, and will either be at 3rd or SS. Ellsbury will be in CF, and Ross and Sweeney will split RF

This will be alightening fast team that everyone will enjpy watching. What money is spent will be for starting pitching. Some of the relievers will be gone (Aceves for one) as well as Dice K. Felix D. needs an angry management course, and others will have to prove themselves in the next 2 weeks.

Pitching, speed and defense  wins baseball games; only the pitching needs overhaul.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:

Except that Wakefield actually pitched well for most of his career, whereas Cook has been terrible most of his career.

Wakefield pitched for the Sox for 17 years.

10 of those years his ERA was above 4.5

5 years it was above 5.

I'm comparing Cook especially to Wakefield of 2009-2011 vintage.  The relatively durable and cheap #5/#6 guy with the ERA close to 5.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It is interesting that the Sox do play guys like Loney also. It is about winning and doing the right thing for the players sometimes also. Maybe Mortensen and Tazawa just are not stretched out. Maybe seeing a guy or 2 starting from the minors would be nice also but they are not always completely healthy or they don't want to push their innings projections. Lots of factors.

Good points, but I'd like to see Taz or Mort get a start or two in, even if they just go 3-4 innings.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wakefield pitched for the Sox for 17 years.

10 of those years his ERA was above 4.5

5 years it was above 5.

However, 11 of those 17 years he had an ERA+ above 100. He also had 2 seasons at 99, 1 at 98, and one at 93, so his first 15 years in Boston, he was at 98 or better in 14 of them.

He was paid like a number 5, but often pitched like a 3/4 or even a #2 for long stretches.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Right you are, moon.  Cook's current 2012 ERA+ is 89.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Right you are, moon.  Cook's current 2012 ERA+ is 89.

Better than Wake's last 2 seasons though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

10 BBs last night. 

Aceves, now at 5.00.

Bard looking no better.

Good to see Atchison back and as always, pitching well. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It will be interesting if we can get some value from Lackey next year. I bet we can.

I think we keep Lackey and hope he rebounds. We do have that free year waiting at the end. I wonder if we will restructure the deal, so he doesn't just retire that year rather than play for min wage.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I still don't get why we are giving him the opportunity to showcase his "value" for his own good- not ours.  I think we could be learning more about Tazwa or Mortensen by giving them a start or two.

I don't think those two are stretched out enough for starting. They might be able to go 4 innings or so. I would hate to see them ruin an arm experimenting with them at the end of the season, and Tazawa is coming off TJ surgery.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't think those two are stretched out enough for starting. They might be able to go 4 innings or so. I would hate to see them ruin an arm experimenting with them at the end of the season, and Tazawa is coming off TJ surgery.

You are probably right, but I just can't believe there is no starting pitcher in our system that could benefit from a start or two in the bigs.  Starting Dice-K is only for his sake- not ours.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Good points, but I'd like to see Taz or Mort get a start or two in, even if they just go 3-4 innings

I'd love to see Junichi get some starts. His stuff looks pretty good now that he's healthy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He looked good before the injury too!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

You know what else? I want to go on record right now as saying Thank You Theo! for Xander Bogaerts. That kid has superstar written all over him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

You know what else? I want to go on record right now as saying Thank You Theo! for Xander Bogaerts. That kid has superstar written all over him.

True enough!

There's several more that could shine very soon.

Sections
Shortcuts