A Realistic Look At 2013: Part I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic Look At 2013: Part I

You left out Jon Lester maybe after 2013, and def after 2014. A big omission and prob the biggest decision as far as trades go this offseason. Will he bounce back to the old Jon Lester in 13? At which case we pick up his option for 14, or will he be a 500 pitcher and we don,t pick it up. We then would recieve nothing for him. It,s a tough call. If I could get a b plus pitching prospect this off season I wouldseriously consider it if I,m the RS

I should have included Lester. He could be a FA after 2013, if the Sox decline his $13M option  and pay the $250K buyout instead.  I do think a poor 2013 could cause the Sox to decline the option, but this team is so in high need of starting pitchers that I don't think we will or should be looking to trade Lester this winter.

His trade value is not very high right now. I suppose if we package him with other players to get a better starting pitcher, I'd do it, but I do not think that is very realistic. 

I have mentioned wanting Buch to be our #2 and Lester our #3 by 2014. Paying a #3 starter $13M is not what I call good fiscal policy, but Lester also has put up numbers over most of his career that compare very very well with most teams' #1 and/or #2 starters.  I'm not looking to give up on Lester, but I can understand those who have. I'd like to see the offers GMs might make for Jon, before I advocate trading him. I'd say the same about the players I have recommended trading as well, but with those players, I am willing to get good prospects or a lesser player with longer team control years in return. With Lester, this is a little more sketchy. His biggest issue this year is his inability to pitch well in Fenway. His home ERA is over 3 runs higher than away. Last year, it was almost identical.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Who knows, maybe Buchholz is a stud next year and Lester, Lackey and Doubront pitch in with good years. It is amazing what can happen if a team gets good pitching. We still have Morales and maybe we stretch out Tazawa. Maybe a De LA Rosa is ready next year. We are not necessarily a disaster in the starting pitching department and if it produces....anything can happen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Who knows, maybe Buchholz is a stud next year and Lester, Lackey and Doubront pitch in with good years. It is amazing what can happen if a team gets good pitching. We still have Morales and maybe we stretch out Tazawa. Maybe a De LA Rosa is ready next year. We are not necessarily a disaster in the starting pitching department and if it produces....anything can happen.

Yes, all of this could happen, but I seriously doubt we will have even 3 decent starters next year if we make no moves. Maybe everything comes to gether at once, but I still think we will need to go outside the system to get at least a couple of players to put us back into contention by 2014. A starting pitcher of the 1 or 2 slot variety is still our number one need.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Maybe there will be love and peace in the world.  We can always dream.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd rather plan and act than dream.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I'd rather plan and act than dream.

I'm no dreamer. I was just referring to the pie in the sky idea of " if everyone pitches well next year , we will be good. "    Planning and acting is fine , as long as you have a good plan and act wisely.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree, and while I get the merit involved with wanting to stockpile good prospects to increase the odds that a few will make it big, I also think there needs to be a balance of quality and quantity. Right now, I think we should make the deals I proposed to gain more prospects by trading away most of our soon-to-be FAs, but then begin to make some 3 for 1 type deals to improve on the quality of our young players as opposed to just trying to get more and more mediocre or long-away prospects. I'd like to get a few proven young players or "surer bets" as I like to call them. Yes, we may make a mistake here or there, but I also think it is a mistake to just stockpile prospects and pray.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I'm just saying our starting pitching situation may not be as bad as many are currently projecting. Sometimes pitchers have bad years and then come back. Lackey may be a solid pitcher next year if he is healthy. It is concievable that Lester could revert to near prior form and Buchholz is in his prime. Doubront may well be better next year. I'm all for getting another top starter but while in rebuild mode I think we can run with what we have while we continue to move talent for prospects. We are in rebuild mode as far as I'm concerned.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

For years I counted on beckett, Lester, and Buch to all stay healthy and put together fine seasons at the same time. I expected it. I thought they would lead us to the playoffs and maybe to a ring. 

After 2011, I gave up on that dream. While I have always advocated rebuilding the rotation from the top (1, 2 or maybe 3 slots) not the bottom (can you say Colon, Byrd, Penny, Smoltz, Andrew Miller, Bedard, & Cook?), I emphasized how doing that for 2012 was clearly the number one priority. 

Now, with Beckett gone, Lester an even bigger question mark than on opening day 2012, Buch having another year with injury and a stretch of ineffectiveness, I don't see the equation improving. I do like our choices for our 4th & 5th starter. We have several:

Lackey

Morales

Doubront

Mortensen

Tazawa

Maybe even Aceves, de la Rosa or Webster.

I'm not overly concerned about getting a 1-2 slot starter this winter, but we need to plan on getting one by 2014, when we should be really looking to seriously compete for a ring. Our rotation looks a lot nicer like this:

1) Stud starter

2) Buch

3) Lester

4) Lackey

5) Doubront/Morales (with the other going to long relief/spot starter)

I'm not saying that this group can't put it all together all at once, and maybe even next year, but I'd say the odds are worse for that happening than they were for Beckett, Lester, and Buch to all do well in 2012.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

For years I counted on beckett, Lester, and Buch to all stay healthy and put together fine seasons at the same time. I expected it. I thought they would lead us to the playoffs and maybe to a ring. 

After 2011, I gave up on that dream. While I have always advocated rebuilding the rotation from the top (1, 2 or maybe 3 slots) not the bottom (can you say Colon, Byrd, Penny, Smoltz, Andrew Miller, Bedard, & Cook?), I emphasized how doing that for 2012 was clearly the number one priority. 

Now, with Beckett gone, Lester an even bigger question mark than on opening day 2012, Buch having another year with injury and a stretch of ineffectiveness, I don't see the equation improving. I do like our choices for our 4th & 5th starter. We have several:

Lackey

Morales

Doubront

Mortensen

Tazawa

I'm not overly concerned about getting a 1-2 slot starter this winter, but we need to plan on getting one by 2014, when we should be really looking to seriously compete for a ring. Our rotation looks a lot nicer like this:

1) Stud starter

2) Buch

3) Lester

4) Lackey

I'm not saying that this group can't put it all together all at once, and maybe even next year, but I'd say the odds are worse for that happening than they were for Beckett, Lester, and Buch to all do well in 2012.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Lackey

Morales

Doubront

Mortensen

Tazawa

1) Stud starter

2) Buch

3) Lester

4) Lackey

I'm partly with you and partly with redsoxprospects on this one moon. A top of the rotation starter is the clear biggest need for this team if they're going to contend anytime soon. That being said, there aren't that many pitchers in all of baseball that I would describe as true TOR studs. Felix, Verlander and Cueto and that's about it, at least for guys I'd want to count on year in and year out. I still think the best plan is to deal Ells to the Reds for their top two pitching prospects, most likely Corcino and Cingrani, and hope that between them, Webster, Barnes and DeLaRosa we can catch lightning in a bottle.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...there aren't that many pitchers in all of baseball that I would describe as true TOR studs. Felix, Verlander and Cueto and that's about it, at least for guys I'd want to count on year in and year out.

I'm not holding out hope for a true ace, and that is why I mentioned #2 slot and maybe a nice #3 slot type pick-up rather than hoping and praying the one of our several seemingly #5 slot tyype starters rise to the occasion and become a #2 or 3 value.

I still think the best plan is to deal Ells to the Reds for their top two pitching prospects, most likely Corcino and Cingrani, and hope that between them, Webster, Barnes and DeLaRosa we can catch lightning in a bottle.

I like this plan, but just as a step one. I'm OK for waiting on step 2 until next July or winter, but to me, we need to make a trade of some of our high quantity pitching prospects combined with other prospects to get a surer bet prospect or a legitimate #2/3 slot guy.

Brett Anderson seems to be the example many of us are using as a trade target. I feel much more confident that he will succeed than Webster, de la Rosa, Corcino, and Cingrani. Now, I get your point that maybe the odds that one of those 4 is better than the odds of 1 out of 2, but I think the odds are the Brett Anderson pitches like a #3 next year, and maybe a number 2 in 2014 and 2015. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

...there aren't that many pitchers in all of baseball that I would describe as true TOR studs. Felix, Verlander and Cueto and that's about it, at least for guys I'd want to count on year in and year out.

I'm not holding out hope for a true ace, and that is why I mentioned #2 slot and maybe a nice #3 slot type pick-up rather than hoping and praying the one of our several seemingly #5 slot tyype starters rise to the occasion and become a #2 or 3 value.

I still think the best plan is to deal Ells to the Reds for their top two pitching prospects, most likely Corcino and Cingrani, and hope that between them, Webster, Barnes and DeLaRosa we can catch lightning in a bottle.

I like this plan, but just as a step one. I'm OK for waiting on step 2 until next July or winter, but to me, we need to make a trade of some of our high quantity pitching prospects combined with other prospects to get a surer bet prospect or a legitimate #2/3 slot guy.

Brett Anderson seems to be the example many of us are using as a trade target. I feel much more confident that he will succeed than Webster, de la Rosa, Corcino, and Cingrani. Now, I get your point that maybe the odds that one of those 4 is better than the odds of 1 out of 2, but I think the odds are the Brett Anderson pitches like a #3 next year, and maybe a number 2 in 2014 and 2015. 

That's a good plan, especially since it would give the FO time to sort out the young arms and decide which ones are keepers.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

That's a good plan, especially since it would give the FO time to sort out the young arms and decide which ones are keepers.

One problem with waiting "to sort out the young arms" is that if some decline, their trade value does too. 

We may need to bite the bullet and gamble some this winter. It all dpends on who is being shopped. We can't wait around for the next Gio Gonzalez to come along. If one becomes available this winter, we might need to pounce and hope we guessed right on which prospects to give up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

One problem with waiting "to sort out the young arms" is that if some decline, their trade value does too. 

We may need to bite the bullet and gamble some this winter. It all dpends on who is being shopped. We can't wait around for the next Gio Gonzalez to come along. If one becomes available this winter, we might need to pounce and hope we guessed right on which prospects to give up.

We gave up some young arms for Pedro, some of them guys I was a little excited about, and that worked out pretty well. Personally I'm hoping that DeLaRosa turns into a top flight starter, since he had a better fastball than Verlander before his surgery, and it's pretty apparent watching Junichi lately that a pitcher can come back strong from Tommy John surgery. His secondary stuff is apparently not as good as Pedro's but whose is? Speaking of Tazawa I think he could develop into a pretty solid #3 type starter, he certainly has the stuff.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Letting prospects go and aquiring prospects is always a gamble. some are more "surer bets" as you say moon, but still a gamble.

All they can do is evealuate all the factors in each situation the best they can and live with their choice.

I wouldnt give up any pitching prospects unless its for a proven commodity that will produce right away.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I'm expecting a lot from Buch in 2013.  He only missed 2 starts this year, and with two more good starts to finish the season, he'll be at 195 IPs.  His only stretch of bad starts came at the beginning of the year, after losing much of 2011 to injury.  I don't know how many realize how good he's been since his early struggles - since May 22, his ERA is 2.79.  I think regardless of who we pick up in the off-season, Buch is our ace in 2013.

I've been against signing Greinke for some time, but he really is tremendously talented.  He doesn't always put it all together, but when he does it's fun to watch.  Maybe this would be a good time to go after him - expectations are suddenly very low, and the worst case scenario is another albatross contract to absorb in the coming years, as Ortiz, Lester & Lackey drop off the books.  Hardly the end of the world.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I posted this on another thread, but I was thinking about how the Red Sox could contend next year and I wanted to post here. Sorry if I'm being repetitive.

If Buchholz comes back in the spring like he is right now the team could be pretty good. Lester and Buchholz figure to give the Sox two pretty good #2 starters so all we need is a stud at the top of the rotation. Right now it appears to me that the plan is to stockpile young arms and hope one of them catches fire. They did pick up a couple of decent arms from the Dodgers in the big trade, but I don't know if I'd want to count on them at the top of the rotation. Perhaps another trade is in the works. I wonder if we could get Johnny Cueto from the Reds for Ellsbury, both of the pitchers we got from the Dodgers and Matt Barnes? Anyway, provided we could come up with a TOR starter, we'd have our ace, Lester, Buchholz, and Lackey in the rotation with auditions probably going to Aceves, Doubront, Tazawa, Morales and possibly one of DeLaRosa and Webster. We could also look at someone like Brandon McCarthy in the rotation. Our bullpen is actually pretty stacked and you might see some trades coming from this area. Between Miller, Tazawa, Aceves, Mortenson, possibly Bard and Bailey the Sox have some very solid arms in the bullpen, and they're mostly pretty young.

A bigger question than maybe the rotation going into the offseason has to be the manager's chair. I know we had injuries and a lot of them. But when your whole team just doesn't show up to play some nights, you have to at least glance in the direction of the manager. And when you look that way the view isn't good. I don't think there is any way you can credibly argue that Bobby Valentine has been anything but a disaster as the manager. He only started out his tenure by alienating the two most team first guys on his ballclub in Youk and Pedey. And it's been all downhill from there. In a way watching BV run the Boston Red Sox has been fascinating, kind of like watching watching a train wreck in slow motion. Bobby has not been a good manager for the Red Sox and the number one job for Ben Cherington is to find the right guy for that job. My report card for Ben Cherington starts with that. My personal choice for the job would be Arnie Beyeler, and I would hope that he would get to bring his staff from Pawtucket with him. By the end of the year his team was literally composed im AAA subs and scraps, yet he had that team in a one game playoff for the triple A championship. Granted the PawSox got pounded, but that's not the point. The point is that Beyeler can clearly relate to and more importantly motivate his players. Oh and the reason I mentioned his staff is that his pitching coach, Rich Sauveur is the genius that turned around Andrew Miller among others.

On to the offense, it looks like we'll be bringing back Cody Ross for a couple of years. But we do have some pretty big questions here. The guys who will definitely be here IMO are Middlebrooks, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Iglesias, Lavarnaway, Saltalamacchia, Kalish, Ciriaco and I guess Sweeney, not that I'm necessarily all that happy about Sweeney being back. The guys who we could be looking at in spring training are Brentz, Linares, Aviles, Gomez, Nava and hopefully Bradley and Bogaerts. I also think David Ortiz will be back. Call me a cockeyed optimist, but I think the big man will retire with the Red Sox. So we could have a nightly lineup featuring Ellsbury (Bradley), Pedroia, Ortiz, Ross, Middlebrooks and a catcher with some pop. That's at least as deep a lineup as most teams have. We could well see Xander Bogaerts in Boston during the coming season and if he comes up to stay he makes our lineup even deeper because he's our cleanup hitter behind David. We could also go after a big free agent this offseason, with Josh Hamilton already being mentioned prominently by the press, but I can't see Ben going after anyone that's going to need more than a 3 year contract. Maybe I'm being overly hopeful though. Seriously though, I don't you'll see the Red Sox being major players in the free agent marketplace this year. What they should and hopefully will do is wait until after Christmas and see who's still out there, there's bound to be a Mike Napoli type player out there that we could get cheap. As far as the big names out there like Greinke and Hamilton, I just don't see anyone who looks like enough of a difference maker to make the kind of long term commitment we would need to sign such a high profile free agent. They certainly don't look like Manny and Pedro if you know what I mean.

I guess this has been kind of a long rambling thought process. Posting while stoned. :) But to sum up my thoughts today, can the Sox contend in 2013? Yes. It all starts with finding the right manager. Selling the farm for Johnny Cueto might be a good idea too.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We gave up some young arms for Pedro, some of them guys I was a little excited about, and that worked out pretty well. Personally I'm hoping that DeLaRosa turns into a top flight starter, since he had a better fastball than Verlander before his surgery, and it's pretty apparent watching Junichi lately that a pitcher can come back strong from Tommy John surgery. His secondary stuff is apparently not as good as Pedro's but whose is? Speaking of Tazawa I think he could develop into a pretty solid #3 type starter, he certainly has the stuff.

Tommy John surgery is not as bad as it used to be.  I really liked Taz before the injury, and I am not discouraged by the sugery or his recovery. He's a big wild card in our future.

From what I have heard about de la Rosa, we could be talking similar outlooks.

Look, we haven't had this many nice looking pitching prospects in recent memory.

I can certainly understand the position of rolling the dice and depending on 2-3 of all the pitching prospects to make it big or at least be capable 3-4-5 starters.

Besides young (27 or younger) non-prospects like Buchholtz,  Doubront, de la Rosa, Morales, Mortensen, Stewart, Miller,  Melancon & Bard, we have these pitching prospects as rated by soxprospects.... (Remember, Lester and Bailey are both only a few months older than Buch at 28.)

2) Barnes

4) Webster

8) Owens

10) Britton

11) Workman

13) Johnson

14) Wilson

15) Ranaudo

19) Pimental

20) Light 

21) Buttrey

22) Carpenter

27) Montas

28) Callahan

30) Kukuk

This is a boatload of pitching prospects, and I guess to simplify my overall philosophy, I think are a bit to heavy on quantity and not quality. That's not to say that some of these guys aren't legitimate top prospects and have enpormous upside, but I'd much prefer to have 15-20 better quality pitchers than this list of 26 under 28 year old pitchers listed here. That's still a lot of quantity to hope a few make it big, but with better quality, I feel the odds improve. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Letting prospects go and aquiring prospects is always a gamble. some are more "surer bets" as you say moon, but still a gamble.

All they can do is evealuate all the factors in each situation the best they can and live with their choice.

I wouldnt give up any pitching prospects unless its for a proven commodity that will produce right away.

I guess what I am saying is that I'd rather have 5 pitchers with a 50% chance at making it big over 10 pitchers with a 25% chance.

I'm oversimplifying, but that is basically my position.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Selling the farm for Johnny Cueto might be a good idea too.

I mentioned trying to trade for this guy the last 2 winters. Not many agreed with me then, especially softy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

I guess what I am saying is that I'd rather have 5 pitchers with a 50% chance at making it big over 10 pitchers with a 25% chance.

Moonslav, I don't want to shake your tree because you seem to be really on the stick on this board, but hold a little bit on DeLaRosa.  The guy does have an explosive fastball but he is not a polished pitcher by any means and he has a pea for a brain, a fast ball as straight as a string, and he was not and is not the Dodgers top pitching p rospect.  Zach Lee is and that's the guy we should have got.  True, Rosie might turn out to be a good one but he could turn out to be a bust as well.  As for DeJesus, he is a total dud, lazy and with an entitlement attitude who failed three times to make the Dodgers.  If he gets in our lineup you will know that our season is down the crapper.  That other pitcher might work out and if they give Sands a solid shot he could surprise you pleasantly.  We will just have to hope with DeLaRosa and that also should mean that next year we hire a solid pitching coach and not a dud like we had this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:

Moonslav, I don't want to shake your tree because you seem to be really on the stick on this board, but hold a little bit on DeLaRosa.  The guy does have an explosive fastball but he is not a polished pitcher by any means and he has a pea for a brain, a fast ball as straight as a string, and he was not and is not the Dodgers top pitching p rospect.  Zach Lee is and that's the guy we should have got.  True, Rosie might turn out to be a good one but he could turn out to be a bust as well.  As for DeJesus, he is a total dud, lazy and with an entitlement attitude who failed three times to make the Dodgers.  If he gets in our lineup you will know that our season is down the crapper.  That other pitcher might work out and if they give Sands a solid shot he could surprise you pleasantly.  We will just have to hope with DeLaRosa and that also should mean that next year we hire a solid pitching coach and not a dud like we had this year.

I know de la Rosa is raw. If he ever does make. it big, it might be a while. I've never said I am counting on DeJesus for anything. I know Sands has to prove his PCL numbers are transferable. I do think Webster is a "for real" prospect.

My point with the 50% vs 25% was just a point, and not trying to be actual representations of how many pitchers we have with a 50% chance of making it big or 25%. I could have used 30% vs 15%.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Selling the farm for Johnny Cueto might be a good idea too.

I mentioned trying to trade for this guy the last 2 winters. Not many agreed with me then, especially softy.

Not much of a surprise, especially about softlaw. I must have missed the conversations about Cueto. Maybe I was busy posting one of my Pedro for pitching coach threads. :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Lackey is the highest-paid Red Sox.   Who would have thought?  lol

Sections
Shortcuts