A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to notin's comment:

Doubront would need more movement since he does not throw as hard and isn't thst much younger. ..

True, but years of team control is a huge factor as well.

Morales: 2

Doubront: 5

I would also need to see a larger sample size of Morales as a starter.  Being in the pen can hide a lack of secondary pitches.  I think that Doubront's tight curve is a good second pitch.  I think Morales lack of secondary pitches would get exposed as a full time starter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Other than Dempster (turns 36 in May) and Lackey (turns 35 in October), our rotation and future rotation looks pretty young (some may be in the pen).

Aceves  31 in December (pen)

Lester 29

Buchholtz 29 in August

S Wright 29 in August

Mortensen 28 in April  (pen?)

Morales 27

Tazawa 27 in June  (pen?)

Doubront  26 in October

Workman  25 in August

Webster 23 in February

de la Rosa 23 in March

Britton  23 in May

Barnes 23 in June

Henry  21 in July

Others:

24: C. Hernandez

23: Ranaudo 

22: B Johnson, N Ramirez

21 P Light

20: S Mercedes

19: Buttrey, Montas, Kukuk

18: M Margot, Callahan

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

If Lackey maintains an ERA of around 4.50 then I will be happy. 

Lackey needs to prove to me that he is not a spy sent by the Angels.  LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I think chances are good that Lackey beats expectations this year.

It will be interesting to see what our rotation looks like in 2016, when Lester, Dempster, Morales, and Lackey's deals run out...

(Assuming no additions)

1) Buch

2) Doub

3) Tazawa

4) de la Rosa

5) Webster/Barnes (Britton/Workman/Ranaudo)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I have not idea how the Sox will play this season, but if they win 90, Farrell should get AL MOY

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

It will be interesting to see what our rotation looks like in 2016, when Lester, Dempster, Morales, and Lackey's deals run out...

(Assuming no additions)

1) Buch

2) Doub

3) Tazawa

4) de la Rosa

Hello moonslav59   :)

I hope the Red Sox starting pitchers do better in 2013.  In 2012, The Red Sox starters ranked 27th out of 30 teams with a 5.19 ERA. 

Do you think both Lester and Bulcholz will rebound in 2013?  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

(Assuming no additions)

1) Buch

2) Doub

3) Tazawa

4) de la Rosa

Hello moonslav59   :)

I hope the Red Sox starting pitchers do better in 2013.  In 2012, The Red Sox starters ranked 27th out of 30 teams with a 5.19 ERA. 

Do you think both Lester and Bulcholz will rebound in 2013?  

My guess is Lester will not be as good as he once was, but maybe like the second half of last year. A good 2/3 slot type starter.

It's all about health with Buch, and how can anyone know if he will be healthy all year or not? I've been burned by projecting normal health for this club for years and years, so I'm not going to predict he will be 100% healthy for 28+ starts. I'll guess 25 starts at upper #2 slot quality.

Dempster is also hard to project, and I'm not counting on him to be anything more than a decent 4 slot starter.

Lackey is an unknown as well, but I'll say decent #4 slot quality.

Doubront may improve, but I'll say he's another decent #4.

In total, that gives us ...

upper #2

a 2/3 slotter

3 number 4 slotters.

That should put us much higher than #27, but I do not think our starters will be top 15.

We are still at least "an ace" away from being near the top of the league in starting rotations.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

(Assuming no additions)

1) Buch

2) Doub

3) Tazawa

4) de la Rosa

Owens should be up by then, and if they draft one of the top college pitchers this June he should be in the mix also. Hopefully one or 2 will turn into that ACE they will need...2 would be better though....lol

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

(Assuming no additions)

1) Buch

2) Doub

3) Tazawa

4) de la Rosa

Owens should be up by then, and if they draft one of the top college pitchers this June he should be in the mix also. Hopefully one or 2 will turn into that ACE they will need...2 would be better though....lol

Owens will be 22 when the 2015 season begins. He has only played in single A so far. Maybe by 2016, he might be ready, but it's a close call.

(Note: I meant to say 2015 not 2016, but Lackey will probably still be here for 2015 due to the minimun wage injury clause in his contract.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Other than Dempster (turns 36 in May) and Lackey (turns 35 in October), our rotation and future rotation looks pretty young (some may be in the pen).

Lester 29

Buchholtz 29 in August

S Wright 29 in August

Morales 27

Doubront  26 in October

Workman  25 in August

Webster 23 in February

de la Rosa 23 in March

Britton  23 in May

Barnes 23 in June

Henry  21 in July

Others:

21 P Light

It is a good list of possible and future starters, despite the lack of a #1 this year. Hopefully one of the younger arms [Barnes / Owens / De La Rosa] developes into a No.1. But really like the 19 yr old group as well Buttrey / Montas / Kukuk, lots of potential. With all the rule changes that seemed geared toward taking the advantages that big markets had away [International FA, Money allotment for draft picks, etc] more important than ever to produce your own talent. Teams are doing a much better job of locking up there young talent before arbitration yrs are over as well. Seems like it will be more important than ever to produce talent to stay on top. If a top player hits FA it'll likely the costs are going to sky rocket given the fact not as much top talent making it to FA. Not like in years past when RS were chosing between Mussina vs. Manny. Look at this year Greinke / head issues - Hamilton / substance issues - Lohse / age the top talent available all had blemishes that there former teams were willing to let test FA before trying to resign. In Lohses case teams still staying away because they do not want to lose that draft pick. Would not surprise if he re ups w/ Cards now that Carpenters career is possibly finished. But Cards were more than willing to accept draft pick for a guy who has pitched very well for them the last 2 yrs, thats a good reason why Cards are near the top yr in and yr out. Staying ahead of the curve so to speak. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

So it looks like Alex Hassan will miss at least the start of spring training with a stress fracture in his foot. (https://twitter.com/nickcafardo/status/298861368067633152) Maybe Linares will finally get his shot at the Boston outfield.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

Lester 29

Buchholtz 29 in August

S Wright 29 in August

Morales 27

Doubront  26 in October

Workman  25 in August

Webster 23 in February

de la Rosa 23 in March

Britton  23 in May

Barnes 23 in June

Henry  21 in July

Others:

21 P Light

It is a good list of possible and future starters, despite the lack of a #1 this year. Hopefully one of the younger arms [Barnes / Owens / De La Rosa] developes into a No.1. But really like the 19 yr old group as well Buttrey / Montas / Kukuk, lots of potential. With all the rule changes that seemed geared toward taking the advantages that big markets had away [International FA, Money allotment for draft picks, etc] more important than ever to produce your own talent. Teams are doing a much better job of locking up there young talent before arbitration yrs are over as well. Seems like it will be more important than ever to produce talent to stay on top. If a top player hits FA it'll likely the costs are going to sky rocket given the fact not as much top talent making it to FA. Not like in years past when RS were chosing between Mussina vs. Manny. Look at this year Greinke / head issues - Hamilton / substance issues - Lohse / age the top talent available all had blemishes that there former teams were willing to let test FA before trying to resign. In Lohses case teams still staying away because they do not want to lose that draft pick. Would not surprise if he re ups w/ Cards now that Carpenters career is possibly finished. But Cards were more than willing to accept draft pick for a guy who has pitched very well for them the last 2 yrs, thats a good reason why Cards are near the top yr in and yr out. Staying ahead of the curve so to speak. 

Great points all over this post.  I have been screaming this free agent class isnt a one year arbiration, its a sign of things to come.  Teams have more money these days and just arent letting their superstars hit free agency anymore.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Ghow, the cards also havent been afraid to sacrifice draft picks for free agents either (M. Holliday).  I think that they weigh every decision on its own merits and dont hide behind some overly simplistic rule such as: acquire as many draft picks as possible or grow your own talent.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When a good one comes along, we need to be ready and willing to pounce.

I had hoped we went after Gio G last winter, but am not sure we even made an offer.

As I have said all along, I did not like this FA class, but after seeing all the money we spent, I'd have rather had A Sanchez than what we ended up with. Who knows.

There looks to be some good SPs in next year's class, but you may be right- teams are locking the good ones up earlier these days.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

We are still at least "an ace" away from being near the top of the league in starting rotations.

That is the bottom line, isn't it. Without a real consistent #1 SP the team is likely to continue to struggle. What is mind boggling to me is that the starting pitching has been in fairly consistent decline since 2008 (thats FIVE YEARS) and our front office has not satisfactorily addressed the issue. I admit that its not an easy job, but they have the budget to do it and in the end, it IS their job. This falls in the lap of Theo Epstein, the guy in charge of personnel decisions during the decline. He did some good things early on in his tenure here, but he left the franchise in shambles.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

That is the bottom line, isn't it. Without a real consistent #1 SP the team is likely to continue to struggle. What is mind boggling to me is that the starting pitching has been in fairly consistent decline since 2008 (thats FIVE YEARS) and our front office has not satisfactorily addressed the issue. I admit that its not an easy job, but they have the budget to do it and in the end, it IS their job. This falls in the lap of Theo Epstein, the guy in charge of personnel decisions during the decline. He did some good things early on in his tenure here, but he left the franchise in shambles.

They tried the Penny-Smoltz experiment.

They tried the Lackey experiment. His performance scared us away from trying again.

It's not easy finding and getting the right guy. Not many thought Pedro would become who he became.  Not many thought Schill still had enough in him to lead us the way he did. Not many thought Beckett was the answer, and many were upset we extended him in 2010. Many were upset we let Pedro go.

There are no easy answers to the problem of getting or developing an ace. On could try to have a rotation of 5 2 slot starters as the next best plan, but that's not easy to do either.

We missed out on Gio Gonzalez last winter, and I'm not sure anyone like him was available this winter, but I never heard any rumors that we even tried to pry an ace from another team. (Other than maybe Cliff Lee)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

They tried the Penny-Smoltz experiment.

They tried the Lackey experiment. His performance scared us away from trying again.

It's not easy finding and getting the right guy. Not many thought Pedro would become who he became.  Not many thought Schill still had enough in him to lead us the way he did. Not many thought Beckett was the answer, and many were upset we extended him in 2010. Many were upset we let Pedro go.

There are no easy answers to the problem of getting or developing an ace. On could try to have a rotation of 5 2 slot starters as the next best plan, but that's not easy to do either.

We missed out on Gio Gonzalez last winter, and I'm not sure anyone like him was available this winter, but I never heard any rumors that we even tried to pry an ace from another team. (Other than maybe Cliff Lee)

I believe Gio was named in the recent Miami juicing scandal. I am interested to see how he does once he is off PEDS. Its quite possible that its a good thing we missed out on him.

I agree: the job is not an easy one. But they had five years to do it. It was not necessary to pry loose an established ace, costing a plethora of prospects and a ton of money and years. Thats probably not the way to go. There were other possibilities: trading one of our own established players (or several of them) to obtain top flight pitching prospects. They did it with DelaRosa and Webster; they probably should have done it soon after the 08 season and more often. The bottom line is that it was Epstein's job to fix the problem and he did not do it. In fact, under his watch things went from bad to worse.

As for Penny and Smoltz...they were dead on arrival. Dregs. Some would call them "depth", but they never had a realistic chance of really helping the team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I believe Gio was named in the recent Miami juicing scandal. I am interested to see how he does once he is off PEDS. Its quite possible that its a good thing we missed out on him.

Maybe. Maybe not.

I agree: the job is not an easy one. But they had five years to do it. It was not necessary to pry loose an established ace, costing a plethora of prospects and a ton of money and years. Thats probably not the way to go. There were other possibilities: trading one of our own established players (or several of them) to obtain top flight pitching prospects. They did it with DelaRosa and Webster; they probably should have done it soon after the 08 season and more often.

Awful hard to do a year after winning a ring.

I have said that we should have continued the plan the Dodger trade began. We should have traded every player that was going to be a FA after 2013 and 2014, unless we planned on extending them. We might not have gotten a de la Rosa, but we could ahve gotten some quality pitchers, and at worst built up our farm to make a blockbuster at some point.

I'd have also looked to sign younger FAs who could significantly help in year 2014, 2015 or beyond. I get the bridge while appearing to compete plan, but toi me, we are playing half way and hurting our chances next year and beyond.

The bottom line is that it was Epstein's job to fix the problem and he did not do it. In fact, under his watch things went from bad to worse.

Yeah, there was some bad luck (injuries), but that's the nature of a GM's job: judged in hindsight.

As for Penny and Smoltz...they were dead on arrival. Dregs. Some would call them "depth", but they never had a realistic chance of really helping the team.

It was a "bridge" without calling it such.

This year is the same. Dempster is Penny & Smoltz combined.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

I had hoped we went after Gio G last winter, but am not sure we even made an offer.

As I have said all along, I did not like this FA class, but after seeing all the money we spent, I'd have rather had A Sanchez than what we ended up with. Who knows.

There looks to be some good SPs in next year's class, but you may be right- teams are locking the good ones up earlier these days.

I had heard the Sox had interest in Gio Gonzalez last winter, and it sounds like they were involved until the end in this article. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/15861/sox-miss-on-gio-saving-bullets-for-another-deal

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

I had heard the Sox had interest in Gio Gonzalez last winter, and it sounds like they were involved until the end in this article. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/15861/sox-miss-on-gio-saving-bullets-for-another-deal

Thanks for the link.

I had not heard we tried.

I wonder what our final offer was and what they wanted from us. I wonder if Reddick was part of the Gio offer.

I'm glad to know we tried, but I am still curious what we turned down.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Im sure the Sox are at least somwhat "in" on most top pitchers whether we hear about it or not... Washingtons offer was better and they were willing to part with good pitching prospects , which Boston didnt have yet.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Im sure the Sox are at least somwhat "in" on most top pitchers whether we hear about it or not... Washingtons offer was better and they were willing to part with good pitching prospects , which Boston didnt have yet.

We don't know if the A's thought any of our pitching prospects were good enough to make the deal with us over the Nats. It might have been us who turned down their offer. 

I'd like to know who they wanted.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I think the word you were looking for is saboteur. :-)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

... a "wolf in sheeps clothing"...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Hey Pump, I agree the pitching has been going down.  I for one don't like to blame it all on Theo who is always going to get a pass from me for bringing us two championships in my lifetime.  I do agree the moves he made didn't work--but I think he was trying with Lackey, for example, and as much as I've been sour about him as a person, I think he can win 14/15 games this year.  I've been trying not to keep backing up and harping on this, but last year and the year before we were supposed to be great (some saying the WS was a lock, etc.) and our pitching was expected to be good.  Well, at the conlclusion of last year we KNEW we were no damn good--so why didn't we go out and get a #1 this year, buy, trade, sell, deal, steal, etc. since as you say we aren't going big time until we get one...and, if we're waiting for our promising youngsters, that's all good, but we have zero assurance that we have a #1.  Please, please don't anyone tell me it was a poor crop of free agents--take Ells, Iggy, one catcher, one reliever, one of our best minor league starters and/or one of our best minor league position players and I think you could get a #1 or a #2 who's young and almost a #1.  I think this deal could have been made with the Giants immediately after the season for example before they got their CF.  They have a lot of young blossoming pitching, but they're tighter with their budget than we are.  Maybe there's still some deal to be made there...

As an aside, I have a hunch about Wright.  I just feel it.  It's a premise that's worked in this organization before, we have a guy who can work with him--you heard it here first.

Sections
Shortcuts