A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

I just got internet down here in Fort Myers and I got a ton of emails to catch up on, but here are some of my early reactions to what I've seen and what I've read on here. 

So far Bogearts has been used exclusively at third base, and he has looked good. He has a great swing and the ball explodes off his bat. But he needs more plate discipline which he will get with at least a half-season in AAA where I think he goes. Where he'll play there is anybody's guess, but if the front office is watching the same Iggy that I'm watching, then Bogie plays a corner.

Iggy looks transformed, about 10 pounds heavier and well-muscled. He definitely came here to win a job and his shortstop play has been spectacular. Although at the Rays game when he came in I was explaining to my father-in-law that he's a great fielder who can't hit. So doesn't he commit a throwing error on his first chance then proceed to hit a two-run bomb. Made me look smart! If I'm running the team, he is my starting shortstop, hands down.

Jackie Bradley Jr. is a bona-fide stud! He will not only be starting in our outfield before this season is over, but he will win batting titles and gold gloves. Watching him track fly balls is a treat, even during BP.

Victorino is so much better than anyone we had in RF last year that every pitcher should be buying him dinner. He looks like a bottom of the order bat though.

Lackey threw real well and looked like a new man, same with Lester, although I only saw Lester throw from a distance and not in a game.

Nava is working a ton at first base and looks decent there, although Carp arrived today. Overbay looks like the odd man out. And Gomez is crushing the ball, but his one and only position is DH. Of course they are all getting extra reps because Napoli is still taking it slow.

The entire roster is much more engaged in the entire spring training process than they were last year. The attitude problems have been fixed, now we wait and see if they can play.

And finally, on a humorous note, Pedroia should be okay as long as doesn't have to face that nasty Northeastern pitching staff.

More to come in the next few days.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

I just got internet down here in Fort Myers and I got a ton of emails to catch up on, but here are some of my early reactions to what I've seen and what I've read on here. 

So far Bogearts has been used exclusively at third base, and he has looked good. He has a great swing and the ball explodes off his bat. But he needs more plate discipline which he will get with at least a half-season in AAA where I think he goes. Where he'll play there is anybody's guess, but if the front office is watching the same Iggy that I'm watching, then Bogie plays a corner.

Iggy looks transformed, about 10 pounds heavier and well-muscled. He definitely came here to win a job and his shortstop play has been spectacular. Although at the Rays game when he came in I was explaining to my father-in-law that he's a great fielder who can't hit. So doesn't he commit a throwing error on his first chance then proceed to hit a two-run bomb. Made me look smart! If I'm running the team, he is my starting shortstop, hands down.

Jackie Bradley Jr. is a bona-fide stud! He will not only be starting in our outfield before this season is over, but he will win batting titles and gold gloves. Watching him track fly balls is a treat, even during BP.

Victorino is so much better than anyone we had in RF last year that every pitcher should be buying him dinner. He looks like a bottom of the order bat though.

Lackey threw real well and looked like a new man, same with Lester, although I only saw Lester throw from a distance and not in a game.

Nava is working a ton at first base and looks decent there, although Carp arrived today. Overbay looks like the odd man out. And Gomez is crushing the ball, but his one and only position is DH. Of course they are all getting extra reps because Napoli is still taking it slow.

The entire roster is much more engaged in the entire spring training process than they were last year. The attitude problems have been fixed, now we wait and see if they can play.

And finally, on a humorous note, Pedroia should be okay as long as doesn't have to face that nasty Northeastern pitching staff.

Thanks for the update!! good to hear some first hand analysis.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

In response to jidgef's comment:

Great synopsis and thank you. My only complaint is when you pretend to surmise the attitude problem of last year since you were not there in the clubhouse or dugout - or were you.  LOL, we will never know.

I was at every spring training game and it was obvious from day one that the team had zero respect for their manager. When Valentine spoke, players rolled their eyes and talked to each other inside their gloves. I spent a lot of time within a few yards of their dugout.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Nope, just a wealthy, season-ticket holding father-in-law who is handicapped and I am his care-taker. If you know the park you know how close the handicapped seats are to the dugouts.

Besides, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to recognize an engaged team and dugout. I also sit in an area where the Globe and Herald photographers spend lots of time and they are great sources of info.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

I love the idea of having a SS or Catcher that can hit. They are usually poor offensive positions, and if you can get big production from those positions, then you make big gains on most clubs you are playing, however, those two positions mean so much on defense that you have to weigh the gains vs the loss. Assuming there might be a loss on defense with XB at SS, I don't see the big positional comparative advantage of keeping him there outweighing the loss on defense, but this year should tell us a lot about his defensive development, and perhaps his play will make the decision for Ben obvious- one way or the other. Also, the offensive production at 3B in recent years has been pretty low, so having XB at 3B could give us a huge gain there, and solve our 1B issue by moving Middlebrooks to 1B. Then, we'd have a very cheap solution at 3B and 1B which would free up more money to spend on the pitching staff and OF. Imagine the savings over 4-6 years we'd realize with Iggy, XB, and WMB at 3 of our 4 IF positions.

like i said, for me it's all about Iggy, as long as he can give us SOMETHING close to adequate offensively i'm cool with moving XB to 1B/3B. The worse Iggys bat is the more potent our lineup has to be to make up for it which also plays into my decision. I know you think based solely on his glove that he is already an average SS but i don't share the sentiments..

Iggy HAS to hit, not like ellsbury or pedroia, but he has to give us something. SS is one of the weaker offensive positions so i don't think it's too much to ask of him to give us (or be close to) average SS offenive numbers. If that doesn't happen then i don't see any problems with keeping XB at SS if he proves he can handle the position defensively. As you said, getting production like that from the SS position would give us a HUGE edge over other teams.

I think Iggy will have to hit to get the job, but personally, I'm fine with a top rate fielding SS who hits .230-.250. Now, if XB turns into an above average SS, then it's clear that Iggy will be the utility IF'er or traded.

I do like what someone mentioned here about having XB as our 3Bman when the shift is on and he is playing the SS position while being a 3Bman. Nice little plus there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Jidge, we envy you man! It must be fun.

I am very glad to hear you speak highly of JBJ. Would it be a surprise to see him move through the minors quickly? He played on 2, count them, 2 College World Series champions. And he was their best player when healthy. The guy obviously is solid defensively so that will not hold him back and he seems to have a very advanced approach in his AB. I continue to contend that he may get called up at mid year and contribute a game changing level of performance if he can step in there as our lead off guy against RH pitching and thereby allow us to slot Ellsbury in the 3 slot. That scenario is possible and it could be a game changer for this team. Is JBJ showing that he has a chance of pulling  that off? Of course he is.

And the news on Webster is also real positive. We may see him sooner than expected as well. If we look at these contingencies, along with Xander's situation and De LaRosa's situation we see that by the end of this year some of these guys might be contributing in a significant way. Lavarnway, Iglesias....etc.

I like our chancess. It may not take us beyond this year to develop into that type of top level team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Jidge, we envy you man! It must be fun.

I am very glad to hear you speak highly of JBJ. Would it be a surprise to see him move through the minors quickly? He played on 2, count them, 2 College World Series champions. And he was their best player when healthy. The guy obviously is solid defensively so that will not hold him back and he seems to have a very advanced approach in his AB. I continue to contend that he may get called up at mid year and contribute a game changing level of performance if he can step in there as our lead off guy against RH pitching and thereby allow us to slot Ellsbury in the 3 slot. That scenario is possible and it could be a game changer for this team. Is JBJ showing that he has a chance of pulling  that off? Of course he is.

And the news on Webster is also real positive. We may see him sooner than expected as well. If we look at these contingencies, along with Xander's situation and De LaRosa's situation we see that by the end of this year some of these guys might be contributing in a significant way. Lavarnway, Iglesias....etc.

I like our chancess. It may not take us beyond this year to develop into that type of top level team.

i really glad we did not part with any of our top flight prospects. BC played it smart.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Great news to my ears, jid. I was ridiculed for saying I thought XB should be moved to 3b this year, so when he is ready foir the bigs, he won't have to relearn a new position that may delay his arrival. It's not a done deal, but it encourages me to see them using him at 3B now.

We are on the same page here 100%, and that's the reason I like seeing XB at 3B ASAP. I'm still shocked we gave Drew almost $10M, but at least it's only 1 year.

I hope you are right about JB. We could use a Fred Lynn-like  infusion soon.

Yes. He should bat 9th vs RHPs and 2nd or 6/7th vs LHPs.

Lackey is such a wildcard. I think our season may depend on him. Scary, but true.

Nava at 1B... hmm...

Good do see. Thanks for the insights, jid. 

LOL

You are "the man", jid.

Keep up the non-filtered insights.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

From another thread I started a while back...

The 2013 Sox have some serious lefty-righty split differentials:

Career OPS

vs RHPs  vs LHPs  Diff

Salty       .774   .591      .183

Ortiz       .972   .824      .148

Nava       .768   .621     .147* (small sample size)

Drew      .784   .699      .085

Ellsbury  .803   .762      .035

D Ross    .771   .764     .007

Ciriaco   .723   .732    -.009

Pedroia  .821   .853    -.032

Napoli    .845   .911    -.066

Middlbrk .798  .906    -.108* (small sample size)

Victorino .730  .881    -.151

J Gomes  .732  .894   -.162 

As you can see, there are some great differentials on both sides of the plate. 

A Gomes/Nava and Salty/Ross platoon is obvious and should help alot, but there are several others on this list that will essentially be close to black holes vs certain handed pitchers.

Papi appears to have dealt with his poor splits vs LHPs, but he is aging.

Drew and Victorino seem like they may be the biggest problem areas vs off-handed pitchers. Middlebrooks may also have issues, but the sample size is too small to project going forward.

I think we may have to see some line-up shuffling to maximize the amount of PAs by those with good records vs the type of starting pitcher on the mound.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Boom, I've been away for a few days, trying to catch up on my reading here.  Just want to say that no matter how bad the RS get, for some perverse reason I still watch them.  I think I just got in the habit when I was a kid--all those 50's and 60's teams that were TERRIBLE and I still suffered away.  I don't fault anyone for drifting away when the team is bad, but I either watch the game or read about them in the Globe daily--I used to read the Herald daily as well, just to be sure I didn't miss any slants from the other paper.

Just read about Wright's impressive first outing.  I know, just one and it's ST.  But I'm going to keep reminding everyone that my "Irish thing" is telling me he's going to be good.

It sounds like we've got some young pitching coming and our BP is solid and a strength.  If you  think about some of the great winning teams, Orioles, Atlanta, Dodgers, they had consistent pitching and they stayed together for the most part for multiple years.  I hope our present coach and pitching coach are good at evaluating and can determine who those pitchers can be for us.  I hope people mentioned by posters above--Taz, Mortensen, Morales, Wright, Webster, Whoever--get their shots if others are deemed not into it mentally (Doubie for example...) or lifetime injury cases who aren't ever getting beyond .500 (Buch for example...).  I don't mean these as slams on these two but just saying it's time for some to step up or maybe they'll have to step aside.  My feelings are, if this is a long shot for us to get to the playoffs, then all these young guys should get plenty of chances to "ripen." 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Jid, thank you, it is so exciting to get it from the horse's mouth so to speak.  I hope to be sitting beside you in the next couple of years.  Keep up the good work!  I hope you'll keep feeding your hungry readers.  I have a couple of requests:  if you watch Wright at some point, let us know how he looks.  Also, I thought Ells looked "out of sync" all last summer when he got back, especially on offense.  How's he looking in the games?  Thanks again, Critter

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

how does holt stack up defensively? Ciriaco is probably the best IF'er on the team (save pedey) and his value could be in the late innings as a defensive replacement at SS..

I thought he was a big plus fielder too, but never understood why when both he and Aviles were playing, Aviles was at SS.

well that's on BV, i'm still waiting to hear why he put ciriaco at DH when pedroia was just coming back from injury. But it would make too much sense to keep your injured 2Bman out of the field (where he incurred the injury no less) and slot your best defensive IFer in the field.

Bobby V. was one of those guys you never forget as much as we would like to :)  I hope Pedro continues to improve along with Iggy and the other youngsters.  I really liked his clutch hitting and attitude last year. 

I think he plays hard and like having him around.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

how does holt stack up defensively? Ciriaco is probably the best IF'er on the team (save pedey) and his value could be in the late innings as a defensive replacement at SS..

I thought he was a big plus fielder too, but never understood why when both he and Aviles were playing, Aviles was at SS.

well that's on BV, i'm still waiting to hear why he put ciriaco at DH when pedroia was just coming back from injury. But it would make too much sense to keep your injured 2Bman out of the field (where he incurred the injury no less) and slot your best defensive IFer in the field.

Bobby V. was one of those guys you never forget as much as we would like to :)  I hope Pedro continues to improve along with Iggy and the other youngsters.  I really liked his clutch hitting and attitude last year. 

I think he plays hard and like having him around.

He really looked good last year, but the small sample size and .299 career minor league OBP in over 3500 PAs are troubling to me. I see him as a nice utility IF'er with a chance to be a late-bloomer and give us more.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Does anyone know how much minor leaguers make?

I read somewhere that A.J. Griffin (Oakland A's starter) worked at a Nike store while he was in the minors to help pay his rent.  

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Does anyone know how much minor leaguers make?

I read somewhere that A.J. Griffin (Oakland A's starter) worked at a Nike store while he was in the minors to help pay his rent.  

Heres some pretty accurate numbers IC...

http://www.yougoprobaseball.com/how-much-money-do-minor-league-baseball-players-make-get-paid.html

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

$60K to play the best game ever invented is pretty good. Plus, winters off.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Thank you Selenium- and Southpaw777 for the information.    :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I respect honest people who do not insult our intelligence.    :)

"I could play for the worst team if they paid the most."

-Greinke 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I respect honest people who do not insult our intelligence.    :)

"I could play for the worst team if they paid the most."

-Greinke 

And, I suspect most players feel the same way, but some lie about it. I wouldn't be surprised if some players would go to a last place team over a first place team over $200K to $500K in a big contract.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

actually a serious Q: How's Iggy at bunting? Is he laying down bunts at all? I know he's gotta get his swings in too but...  I read that Farrell is going to be very aggressive offensively. has there been any proof of that in ST yet? Bunts, hustling down the line, hit & runs, advancing the runner(s), etc.?

Sections
Shortcuts