A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to emp9's comment:

actually a serious Q: How's Iggy at bunting? Is he laying down bunts at all? I know he's gotta get his swings in too but...  I read that Farrell is going to be very aggressive offensively. has there been any proof of that in ST yet? Bunts, hustling down the line, hit & runs, advancing the runner(s), etc.?

Not sure, but I would think that with him not having any power, he "should" be a good bunter...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

actually a serious Q: How's Iggy at bunting? Is he laying down bunts at all? I know he's gotta get his swings in too but...  I read that Farrell is going to be very aggressive offensively. has there been any proof of that in ST yet? Bunts, hustling down the line, hit & runs, advancing the runner(s), etc.?

The only thing I've seen so far is that everyone is hustling on every play, even running out routine grounders and pops and flies. But I have yet to see a bunt or hit-and-run and have only seen one steal attempt (failed) so far. We had runners on first and second with no outs in the first yesterday and they died there and left two more on in the second. But the highlight yesterday was Dempster looking very good and the barrage of runs the Cards scored were mainly against pitchers we'll never see in Boston. Mortenson gave a bases loaded, and bases clearing, double, but it was a routine fly that the wind, which was howling, took off the wall. Gomez continues to hit very well but there is no room on the roster for a left-right DH only rotation. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The only thing I've seen so far is that everyone is hustling on every play, even running out routine grounders and pops and flies.

That's because Papi hasn't played yet.  (LOL)

But I have yet to see a bunt or hit-and-run and have only seen one steal attempt (failed) so far. We had runners on first and second with no outs in the first yesterday and they died there and left two more on in the second. But the highlight yesterday was Dempster looking very good and the barrage of runs the Cards scored were mainly against pitchers we'll never see in Boston. Mortenson gave a bases loaded, and bases clearing, double, but it was a routine fly that the wind, which was howling, took off the wall. Gomez continues to hit very well but there is no room on the roster for a left-right DH only rotation. 

Keep up the excellent updates. I trust your words more than most writers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Gomez continues to hit very well but there is no room on the roster for a left-right DH only rotation. 

AAA Insurance for a Naps or Papi injury.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

was lava invited to camp? i'm assuming so but i have literally heard NOTHING about him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

was lava invited to camp? i'm assuming so but i have literally heard NOTHING about him.

He has 2 starts and 6 AB...he's getting his share of time but there are a lot of catchers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

we were 26 out last year!  I just looked up the standings and seeing that and the Yanks in 1st made it seem like it was today's news! Unbelievable.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Lava does need to be at first..... no reason to sign broken down has beens like Napoli instead of giving Lava  shot out there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Yeah, but he hasnt done anything news worthy..Been pretty quiet.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

6 ABs is a pretty tiny sample size to generate much excitement.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The media (e.g. ESPN, CNN, FOX) is not picking the Red Sox to do well this year which is fine with me.  So I hope the team can relax, have fun out there, and play hard.  

There was too much drama in the Red Sox clubhouse in 2012 (similar to the LA Lakers this year).  

This is why I like a team like the Oakland A's--a group of guys who support each other, have fun, and go out and win.  I heard on the MLB chanel that Josh Reddick and his teammates met up for dinner and watched WWE, Monday Night RAW.  

Do the Red Sox players meet up and socialize too?  I hope they do because I believe it is important to help build team unity.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

The media (e.g. ESPN, CNN, FOX) is not picking the Red Sox to do well this year which is fine with me.  So I hope the team can relax, have fun out there, and play hard.  

There was too much drama in the Red Sox clubhouse in 2012 (similar to the LA Lakers this year).  

This is why I like a team like the Oakland A's--a group of guys who support each other, have fun, and go out and win.  I heard on the MLB chanel that Josh Reddick and his teammates met up for dinner and watched WWE, Monday Night RAW.  

Do the Red Sox players meet up and socialize too?  I hope they do because I believe it is important to help build team unity.

Maybe they can meet up and watch reruns of "Little House on the Prairie".

I don't want them to start piledriving each other in the clubhouse!

LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Lava does need to be at first..... no reason to sign broken down has beens like Napoli instead of giving Lava  shot out there.

Napoli's best season was 2011...yeah, that was eons ago...I guess Ellsbury is a broken down has been too.

Try and be reasonable and wait till Napoli plays some actual games for us.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

6 ABs is a pretty tiny sample size to generate much excitement.

Tell that to JBJ ;)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Napoli's best season was 2011...yeah, that was eons ago...I guess Ellsbury is a broken down has been too.

Try and be reasonable and wait till Napoli plays some actual games for us.

don't forget Shanes 2011 season.... what a bum!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Got me thinking about career (300+ PA season) bests of of new players...

BA  HR  RBI  OBP  SLG  (Misc)

Victorino:  .293  18  69  .358/.491  (16 3Bs/ 39 SBs)

Napoli:      .320 30  75   .414/.631

Drew:      .291  21  67   .352/.502  (45 2B+3B)

Gomes:   .282  20  86  .377/.541

Ross:      .255  21  52  .353/.579  (in 296 PAs in 2009)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

not bad. now, i'm not expecting them to match or surpass their career best this year but for most of these guys, their best seasons were not too long ago..  And i know they are older now but lots of players have pretty darn good years at older ages.. (although i don't think 30-32 is old)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

not bad. now, i'm not expecting them to match or surpass their career best this year but for most of these guys, their best seasons were not too long ago..  And i know they are older now but lots of players have pretty darn good years at older ages.. (although i don't think 30-32 is old)

If I posted their worst numbers, we might faint.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

If I posted their worst numbers, we might faint.

hahahahaha

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Their career averages are less scary.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Their career averages are less scary.

What about their "median averages"?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Their 162 game averages based on career numbers...

(About $81M for 9 combined years of service)

.275  14  62

.259  33  85

.265  15  70

.244  25  76

.238  21  61

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Not bad numbers, but also not the types of numbers that will lead a 69 win team, that was actually worse after the big trade, to a title in 1 year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Not bad numbers, but also not the types of numbers that will lead a 69 win team, that was actually worse after the big trade, to a title in 1 year.

Partially agree.  Partially because I think this everyday lineup, if it stays reasonably healthy, is 'good enough' to go deep in the playoffs.  But only if the starting pitching is vastly improved, and that's where things get very shaky.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Partially agree.  Partially because I think this everyday lineup, if it stays reasonably healthy, is 'good enough' to go deep in the playoffs.  But only if the starting pitching is vastly improved, and that's where things get very shaky.

I agree. I think our offense should be better, and except for maybe papi, naps and drew I don't see health being something that should be expected.

Our SPs have the potential to be playoff caliber, but to me, that involves too many things all going right at the same time. I'm hoping for the best.

Other teams improving also scares me, and except for the Yanks, Rangers and O's, I think many teams that were ahead of us last year got even better, but even some of those teams were so much better than us last year that they might still end up better this year as well.

In the AL, I see only the Twins as being clearly worse than us. The Indians and KC both got better, but can easily be worse than us. The Mariners CWS, and O's should be close. That's 6 teams that look as good or worse than us. That leaves 8 teams that I rate better than us, and there are only 5 slots to make the playoffs. That's a tough hill to climb.