A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

His overall career numbers show a really bad range. I doubt he gets any better with a pin in his ankle in that area of defense, which happens to be a big chunk of what SS D is all about.

still don't buy it. Pedroia played with a pin in his foot and put up MVP worthy numbers and GG defense.

Pedey is a freak.

Drew never had good range, so I'm not expecting a pin and a 30th birthday to improve on it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Moon, you and I agree that Iggy should be our starting shortstop. In fact, I filled out the interactive batting order in  today's Globe with Bradley Jr leading off and Iggy batting ninth. But I am also of the opinion that Drew will be a solid upgrade over Aviles defensively. He looked good tonight and so did Napoli. But the highlight to tonight's game, in my opinion, was the pitching. Lester looked very sharp; he was popplng the mitt and his breaking pitches had good bite. Rubby was equally impressive; it seemed like he had two strikes on every hitter. Wright had two very clean innings before walks got him in trouble, but most of his outs were recorded against subs for the JV team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Moon, you and I agree that Iggy should be our starting shortstop. In fact, I filled out the interactive batting order in  today's Globe with Bradley Jr leading off and Iggy batting ninth. But I am also of the opinion that Drew will be a solid upgrade over Aviles defensively. He looked good tonight and so did Napoli. But the highlight to tonight's game, in my opinion, was the pitching. Lester looked very sharp; he was popplng the mitt and his breaking pitches had good bite. Rubby was equally impressive; it seemed like he had two strikes on every hitter. Wright had two very clean innings before walks got him in trouble, but most of his outs were recorded against subs for the JV team.

Aviles played a very decent SS on defense in 2012. Quite frankly, he shocked me. I was so prepared to prove how Iggy would have saved 75-125 hits last year, but I stopped counting after a few weeks. I think I had 2-3 plays by the end of April.

Maybe Drew is better than Aviles, but I'll be surprised if he does better than the 2012 version of Aviles. Mike was 9th best last year in UZR and 7th in RngR.

My point has been this: it's not as simple as Iggy vs Drew should be viewed as Iggy plus a $9.5M upgrade at another position vs Drew.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Lester still can't get a strike call though. the umps still hate him. It's easy to see.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Pedey is a freak.

Drew never had good range, so I'm not expecting a pin and a 30th birthday to improve on it.

You threw in 30th birthday for effect, right?  A ballplayer doesn't lose much in year 30 do they?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Lester still can't get a strike call though. the umps still hate him. It's easy to see.

Boom, I couldn't tell if he was getting sqeezed or not, but I never saw any of the histrionics he displayed last year which really pi$$es off umpires.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Pedey is a freak.

You threw in 30th birthday for effect, right?  A ballplayer doesn't lose much in year 30 do they?

It was meant to show that players don't gain range at age 30. It seems some here are expecting Drew to get better than his career norm on defense as he turns 30 and deals with a relatively recent pin put in his ankle. I am hoping for the best, but am not as optimistic about his 2013 fielding.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Boom, I couldn't tell if he was getting sqeezed or not, but I never saw any of the histrionics he displayed last year which really pi$$es off umpires.

It may take time to reverse the effects.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Linares goes yard today.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

It's early and the pitchers are only going an inning or two, often against backups, but it's encouraging the young pitchers doing well at this point.  Seems like we've go some good depth.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I agree that Lester didn't show the histrionics that he is known for but I really think the umps have it in for him still. Hopefully they will give him a break over time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Linares goes yard today.

I've always liked this guy. I think he could be this year's sleeper.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Both Victorino and Gomes fill his slot though, as both are extremely strong against LH pitching. He's probably our best depth from AAA ball though, beyond potentially Nava and JBJ.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Both Victorino and Gomes fill his slot though, as both are extremely strong against LH pitching. He's probably our best depth from AAA ball though, beyond potentially Nava and JBJ.

Yes, both Gomes and SV have near insane numbers vs LHPs recently, but my guess is one of our OF'ers will get hurt this year. Linares may be better than both of them vs RHPs, so maybe overall, he could do a good job out there. He may also be Papi's replacement if injured (Gomes to DH- Linares to LF).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Yes, both Gomes and SV have near insane numbers vs LHPs recently, but my guess is one of our OF'ers will get hurt this year. Linares may be better than both of them vs RHPs, so maybe overall, he could do a good job out there. He may also be Papi's replacement if injured (Gomes to DH- Linares to LF).

i think in the event papi goes down that Naps will DH and Nava/Carp/Overbay take over 1st base.

it's not like Naps defensively abilities are envious ya know? and we can try to keep him as healthy as possible

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Drew is better on defense than his numbers suggest. hes a smart ballplayer and like his brother, positions himself correctly and get great jumps on balls. His "range" might not be great, but he gets to balls because of what I listed above. Hes not as bad as it would appear.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

it's not like Naps defensively abilities are envious ya know? and we can try to keep him as healthy as possible.

Naps may not be very good at 1B, but my guess is he is better than Nava. Of course, if his hip is tender, the Naps should DH.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Drew is better on defense than his numbers suggest. hes a smart ballplayer and like his brother, positions himself correctly and get great jumps on balls. His "range" might not be great, but he gets to balls because of what I listed above. Hes not as bad as it would appear.

1) He does not get to balls hit in his zone, otherwise his UZR/150 would be at least close to average. It is not even close.

2) How do you know he "positions himself correctly"?

3) He may be worse than he appears to be right now in ST.

4) He may be worse than his career stats and metrics show him to be (especially with his range and first step explosiveness), due to a recently placed pin in his ankle.

He as had a couple of decent years by the numbers, but the larger sample size career range numbers are a bit frightening.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Drew's UZR/150 did show a lot of improvement before his injury.

2006 -13.3

2007 -13.8

2008 -17.6

2009 +3.1

2010 +10.0

2011 +8.7

2012 -10.7

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

just watched the "evil empire" destroy the sox at jetBlue park. The

Sox started a lot of their regulars and the Yankee scrubs still beat them

handily. This does not bode well. Only Napoli hit a longball. The rest of

these guys just grounded out nearly every at bat. Most of them couldn't

even get the ball out of the infield. Pitching was ok...but the hitters were

truly pathetic....especially Ellsbury.  Yankee pitching just shut us down

and we just gotta do better.. The Yanks didn't even have Cano, Tex, Jeter

in the game, and Gardner was lifted early. No Grandy or Youk, and the

Yanks didn't even raise a sweat to beat us.  It was a sorry sight to see !!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to marstan's comment:

oh noes!! these games are so important!!!!!11111

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Drew's UZR/150 did show a lot of improvement before his injury.

2006 -13.3

2007 -13.8

2008 -17.6

2009 +3.1

2010 +10.0

2011 +8.7

2012 -10.7

A nice trend until the injury, and I suppose he could be unaffected by the pin in the ankle, but I have my doubts.

SD's RangR improved as well, but not as dramatically:

+0.3

+2.6

+1.8

I'm hoping he surprises me as much as Aviles did in 2012.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

We should just trade everybody now. This is horrible.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

We should just trade everybody now. This is horrible.

pack it in. trade off all the assets and START THE KIDS. BC had his chance and he blew it!!!!!

i'd be surprised if we won 10 games this year..

Sections
Shortcuts