A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to selenium-'s comment:

Marstan , the troll, returns. Long time, no see, Marstan. You need to get in the concern troll line at the rear this time. The line is long. Get your number, hope that you brought a lawn chair and food and drink.

You are the worst troll on this site. Please refrain from posting on this thread. Thank you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

let's keep this thread on the topic of baseball..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

The offense was weak today to be sure, but when the "starting lineups" left the Sox were leading 1-0. Dempster, Uehara and Tazawa all looked very good. Hanrahan was victimized by two bad errors by a thirdbaseman who will not play in Boston and two walks. He gave up two hits, a broken-bat bloop and a grounder that trickled into right. The first error by Sutton was on a routine double-play ball. Bailey did give up two shots. But to characterize this game as the Yankee junior varsity easliy beating the Red Sox varsity is not even close to what happened. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Yes, nice job by Dempster today.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Yes, nice job by Dempster today.

i heard good things but i don't put too much stock into it. I am reserving judgment of him until i see him pitch in meaningful games.

but it is encouraging... it's never a bad thing to have a good outing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

selenium, please avoid this thread. It is about baseball and not discussing poster's motives, team affiliations, or any other non-baseball topics.

I'm asking politely. Find other threads to pick posters apart. Please.

Thanks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Moon, my offseason hopes were similar to yours: I wanted one young power pitcher, one young hitter added to our players.  Now I've accepted this is the way it's going to be.  As I think we are actually rebuilding--does anyone in RS organization actually say that?--I'm watching the accounts of ST with quite a bit of interest.  I think there is a big opportunity for young players.  It seems when there is a vacuum then that vacuum will be filled in some manner.  Right now I'm quite worried about some of our players; I think it's ominous that Papi is still not playing and Naps may be fragile.  But I also think it's very likely that two or three young players/pitchers will be playing regularly before the year is over.  I've mentioned this before, but I think in the past we were slow to bring up young guys and where to play them with high priced free agents needing to play.  Times of change are exciting times, I do hope some of these young kids make it, and I for one would rathers see them get more games and de-emphasize the "playoffs."  I don't know how patient management will be, but I think this is the course we're on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

What if Napoli actually gives us 35 plus HR and anywhere near a .280 average? He should hit quite a few doubles also and not playing catcher should help his game some overall. The guy clearly has pop in his bat and he is optimized for Fenway Park. I like the way the pitching staff is shaping up, which is most of the battle right there, and we have a lot more depth at starting pitcher than most had projected.

I like our chances more each day.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

What if Napoli actually gives us 35 plus HR and anywhere near a .280 average? He should hit quite a few doubles also and not playing catcher should help his game some overall. The guy clearly has pop in his bat and he is optimized for Fenway Park. I like the way the pitching staff is shaping up, which is most of the battle right there, and we have a lot more depth at starting pitcher than most had projected.

I like our chances more each day.

there are some interesting dynamics to this team. We need good health and a bit of luck. but overall, i like our chances.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

It was about baseball. MEF was not pleased by Dempster's performance. You were pleased and MEF is saying no.. How could there be such a dichotomy in opinion? Just watch the game or look at the box score. The concern trolls are very concerned since it wasn't a "meaningful game" and you are happy because it was a meaningful game. So what is a meaningful game. Why not decide that all ST games are meaningless and not come here and expression optimism or pessimism. Meanwhile all those who watched the game are very happy with the performance of Dempster. Some will always come here to bi-tch. They love to stir the pot Lonliness?

You don't even realize you are doing it, do you?

Sad.

How is this "about baseball"?

"Well then,  if ST games are not meaningful, so why not hold your tongue until the regular season? Don't applaud, be happy, be critical, or bash, since the games are not "meaningful". Why say anything at all if you have that opinion? Why be here as a poster in ST if all games and opinions are not meaningful. Are you trying to stifle optimism and pessimism? If so why bother?   "

How is your next post "about baseball"?

"It was about baseball. MEF was not pleased by Dempster's performance. You were pleased and MEF is saying no.. How could there be such a dichotomy in opinion? Just watch the game or look at the box score. The concern trolls are very concerned since it wasn't a "meaningful game" and you are happy because it was a meaningful game. So what is a meaningful game. Why not decide that all ST games are meaningless and not come here and expression optimism or pessimism. Meanwhile all those who watched the game are very happy with the performance of Dempster. Some will always come here to bi-tch. They love to stir the pot Lonliness?  "

It's all about you and your crusade to rid the board of perceived trolls, Sox fan pretenders, and just about anything but baseball.

I will ask kindly again, sir. Please do not post on this thread. Thank you.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

anyway moon, What do you think Naps line will be over the season? assuming good health (130ish games)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, my offseason hopes were similar to yours: I wanted one young power pitcher, one young hitter added to our players.  Now I've accepted this is the way it's going to be.  As I think we are actually rebuilding--does anyone in RS organization actually say that?--I'm watching the accounts of ST with quite a bit of interest.  I think there is a big opportunity for young players.  It seems when there is a vacuum then that vacuum will be filled in some manner.  Right now I'm quite worried about some of our players; I think it's ominous that Papi is still not playing and Naps may be fragile.  But I also think it's very likely that two or three young players/pitchers will be playing regularly before the year is over.  I've mentioned this before, but I think in the past we were slow to bring up young guys and where to play them with high priced free agents needing to play.  Times of change are exciting times, I do hope some of these young kids make it, and I for one would rathers see them get more games and de-emphasize the "playoffs."  I don't know how patient management will be, but I think this is the course we're on.

I understand and do not disagree. I get what Ben is doing. I'm not really upset with him, since the Dodger trade was a huge move for our future... HUGE!

I do think we may see some kids come this year up quicker than in the past. It may not even take an injury to make it come true. I'm pretty sure someone will be tearing up the minors enough to make it obvious to bring him up. I'm glad we kept our farm intact. I'm hoping our next moves will be to improve our longterm outlook either at the deadline or next winter.

I guess the draft pick we get for Ellsbury might turn out fine, but I have to think we could have gotten more. I'd have liked to see maybe just one winter move to get a player that can help in 2015 and beyond, but maybe every move from now on will be in that manner.  I think we have all the transition players we need for the nest 2 years, so...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

there are some interesting dynamics to this team. We need good health and a bit of luck. but overall, i like our chances.

Very interesting dynamics for sure, but I cannot share your optimism over our meager chances. Too many things have to go right for us to even have a slight chance to make the wildcard play-in game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

anyway moon, What do you think Naps line will be over the season? assuming good health (130ish games)

130 games and 550 PAs:

.305  32  105

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I guess the draft pick we get for Ellsbury might turn out fine, but I have to think we could have gotten more. I'd have liked to see maybe just one winter move to get a player that can help in 2015 and beyond, but maybe every move from now on will be in that manner.  I think we have all the transition players we need for the nest 2 years, so...

[/QUOTE]

you got that right, everything from now on should be long term moves. Promoting prospects and signing marquee FAs.

Half of me wants this year to be over so we can start signing some of those FA pitchers.. Just thinking of the Doc in a sox uni has me salavating.. If he pitches ~250 innings this year his option will automaticall kick though

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Very interesting dynamics for sure, but I cannot share your optimism over our meager chances. Too many things have to go right for us to even have a slight chance to make the wildcard play-in game.

i'm eyeing the division actually. No one is really a runway.. Sure the Jays look tough but if that core of players couldn't do anything in Miami i don't see them doing it in Toronto... especially in the dogfight of the ALE. all it takes is an injury to Longo and Tampa is out. The Yanks are not a threat IMO and i don't think Baltimore can keep the magic alive. Sure the sox have just as many question marks as the other teams in the ALE but that certainly doesn't put us out.

Especially considering we have the best farm out of all the teams in the ALE by far. So if we need to make a midseason move (promotion or trade) we can further bolster our team and thus our chances.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I guess the draft pick we get for Ellsbury might turn out fine, but I have to think we could have gotten more. I'd have liked to see maybe just one winter move to get a player that can help in 2015 and beyond, but maybe every move from now on will be in that manner.  I think we have all the transition players we need for the nest 2 years, so...

[/QUOTE]

you got that right, everything from now on should be long term moves. Promoting prospects and signing marquee FAs.

Half of me wants this year to be over so we can start signing some of those FA pitchers.. Just thinking of the Doc in a sox uni has me salavating.. If he pitches ~250 innings this year his option will automaticall kick though.

I hate to say it, but due to my concern that if we are in it at the deadline, Ben might go for a key piece to help us in the "here and now" and sacrifice part of our future to get it, "half of me" is hoping that if it isn't meant to be this year, it will be clear by the deadline that we have no chance. That way, Ben will almost be forced to deal away shortterm players for longterm gain, and face little wrath from the media and  fans.

I'm not rooting for failure. I'd never due that, but my worst fear is that we do well enough to be "in it" at the break, go for broke, come up short, and be worse off for 2014 and beyond than we are now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I guess the draft pick we get for Ellsbury might turn out fine, but I have to think we could have gotten more. I'd have liked to see maybe just one winter move to get a player that can help in 2015 and beyond, but maybe every move from now on will be in that manner.  I think we have all the transition players we need for the nest 2 years, so...

Half of me wants this year to be over so we can start signing some of those FA pitchers.. Just thinking of the Doc in a sox uni has me salavating.. If he pitches ~250 innings this year his option will automaticall kick though.

I hate to say it, but due to my concern that if we are in it at the deadline, Ben might go for a key piece to help us in the "here and now" and sacrifice part of our future to get it, "half of me" is hoping that if it isn't meant to be this year, it will be clear by the deadline that we have no chance. That way, Ben will almost be forced to deal away shortterm players for longterm gain, and face little wrath from the media and  fans.

I'm not rooting for failure. I'd never due that, but my worst fear is that we do well enough to be "in it" at the break, go for broke, come up short, and be worse off for 2014 and beyond than we are now.

[/QUOTE]

well he had that chance last season and he didn't do it... Fans crucified him for "standing pat" too. it was a bloodbath on the forum around the time of the trade deadline. People crying that we made no moves blah blah blah. We came away with Breslow though so it wasn't too bad. but people were still crying that we got rid of Albers (who was pitching good at the time but aside from that period of time was "So-So").

we'll see what happens when the time comes. I do think that if we are buyers at the deadline that our top prospects won't be touched.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Especially considering we have the best farm out of all the teams in the ALE by far.

TB has a very good farm. They got more than just Myers from KC, and they were very good beforehand.

They had aboatload of comp picks recently, are seeing the results from the Garza, bartlett and Kazmir deals, and have several young players locked up for the longterm.

TB will not go away.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

What if guys like Webster, De LaRosa and Barnes emerge in the next year or 2 as some of the top young starters in baseball? What if we sign a big bopper FA 1st baseman next winter or do a trade for a Morneau assuming he comes back strong by the break? What if some of our young prospects like Bradley and Bogaerts emerge as top players. Maybe Ellsbury has a great 2013 and we resign him. We may be a lot closer to being a championship team than people realize.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

well he had that chance last season and he didn't do it... Fans crucified him for "standing pat" too. it was a bloodbath on the forum around the time of the trade deadline. People crying that we made no moves blah blah blah. We came away with Breslow though so it wasn't too bad. but people were still crying that we got rid of Albers (who was pitching good at the time but aside from that period of time was "So-So").

we'll see what happens when the time comes. I do think that if we are buyers at the deadline that our top prospects won't be touched.

[/QUOTE]

I was saying we should be buyer (get a longterm player- pitcher if possible) and seller (shed the FAs to be) at the deadline. I liked the Breslow trade, and the Albers deal worked our very well, we ended up getting Pods back for free. The Shoppach deal was a dump. The Dodger deal was heavenly.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Especially considering we have the best farm out of all the teams in the ALE by far.

TB has a very good farm. They got more than just Myers from KC, and they were very good beforehand.

They had aboatload of comp picks recently, are seeing the results from the Garza, bartlett and Kazmir deals, and have several young players locked up for the longterm.

TB will not go away.

I think TB is maybe even favored this year, or at least favored to make the playoffs. They still have great young pitching and it doesn't take a lot of offense to emerge to win with a staff like that. They just need to stay healthy and have a few offensive players have solid years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

TB will not go away.

I think TB is maybe even favored this year, or at least favored to make the playoffs. They still have great young pitching and it doesn't take a lot of offense to emerge to win with a staff like that. They just need to stay healthy and have a few offensive players have solid years.

I like the Rays better than the popular Jays pick. Even though they lost Shields and Davis, they still have 7 decent to great starters:

Price, Hellickson, Moore, Cobb & Niemann, and waiting in the wings is R Hernandez & Chris Archer. 

While Rodney and Fransworth are old, thier pen has some up and coming young arms.

With Escobar at SS, they no longer need Zobrist in the IF, so they improved their OF as well. They have some depth and flex now with R Roberts, K Johnson and S Rodriguez to play 2B and back-up SS and 3B. Zobrist may end up at 1B if Joyce, Jennings, and Fuld or Guyer play well.

They may also have some cash to spend at the deadline, if needed- something new for them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The Rays just have an impressive FO and management team. They seem to unload guys at the right time and develop good young talent with consistency. Especially young pitching.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Maybe we are the new Rays if you watch what we are doing. It is similar in some ways with a greater focus on young pitching and improvements in farm development.

Sections
Shortcuts