A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

2009 MLB Draft Sox took Fuentes no. 28 @ $1.1M and Alex Wilson $470k in the second round passing on Wil Myers twice and his $2M asking price. 

One year later, Henry had the cash to buy Liverpool.

Hindsight? Of course, but going cheap was the problem not the talent evaluation.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/boston_red_sox/2013/03/wil_myers_coveted_in_boston

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Drew's 9.5 million contract makes him very disposable.  Last year the Red Sox traded Youk early and for garbage, and paid 11 million of his 12 million salary for the year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

But last year Youk was hurt, not playing well and not getting along with his manager. None of those issues are in play with Drew/Iggy. I'm sure the team will go the "conservative" route and start Drew, especially since they've spent the money. But I still believe the better lineup, or should I say the better all around team, has Iggy at shortstop. Would it be too outside the box for Drew to be the $10mil backup infielder? If he ever plays anywhere but short down here it might be a sign that they're thinking it's possible.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Think everyone here would love to see Iggy playing SS @ Fenway. But Iggy has much to prove first. Could see a scenario at deadline someone looking for SS help RS could move Drew and eat large part of contract. But if RS are in contention are they going to be willing to take a chance on Iggy's bat again after .118 audition last year. He's going to have to be hitting it pretty well in AAA for RS to make such a move.

This is a big year for Iggy much of his RS career he's played at younger age than most at most every level he's played. Not the case anymore, at 23 [age appropriate for AAA] must prove he's able to contribute w/ bat as well. If he doesn't can see scenario where RS leave Boegarts at SS position and passes Iggy on depth chart. If Iggy proves bat has matured, RS could move Middlebrooks to 1b, Boegarts 3b or LF [depending on Cecchini developement] which really makes the RS a much better team down the road. Lets hope that Iggy's ST is not a fluke. Would love to see that glove for the next 10 yrs @ SS in Fenway.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I would bet that Iggy will eventually be the Sox FT SS. That could happen mid-season, next year, or even 3 weeks after the season starts if Drew gets hurt.

Either way, like ive said all along, I believe Iggy will hit MLB pitching good enough to warrant a starting job in Boston.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Drew's 9.5 million contract makes him very disposable.  Last year the Red Sox traded Youk early and for garbage, and paid 11 million of his 12 million salary for the year.

Yeah, and paying $1.5 to 2.5M of Drew's remaining $3.1.62M deal after a trade (assuming at the deadline) would be brilliant as well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...going to be willing to take a chance on Iggy's bat again after .118 audition...

It's a tiny sample size that even Ben is hardly paying attention to.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Yeah, and paying $1.5 to 2.5M of Drew's remaining $3.1.62M deal after a trade (assuming at the deadline) would be brilliant as well.

I'm not making any judgment on the intelligence of such a move.  Merely pointing out that the Red Sox have demonstrated that they are willing to eat this kind of money on a player who is in the way.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I'm not making any judgment on the intelligence of such a move.  Merely pointing out that the Red Sox have demonstrated that they are willing to eat this kind of money on a player who is in the way.

And consider that they might not have to eat any of it at all in the right situation. If Iggy is ready and there is a big need at the deadline for a SS, we could actually get something back depending on how well Drew is doing.

There are just too many scenarios to list with this situation. Like the saying goes... things will work themselves out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Thanks, Jid.

Your input and observation is always appreciated.

The boss and I decided to pass on spring training since we'll be going to a few different cities besides the west coast this year to see them play. 

I hope your father-in-law is doing well.  Mine is 85 and just flew back to Sacramento from Orlando to attend a golf school.  The guy plays every day and shoots his age!!  Every time I see him, the pressure his on...

I was looking forward to meeting you and your bride in person. I wish my father-in-law could do what yours is doing but that is not the hand we were dealt. Instead I push a wheelchair. But I do get to go to all these spring training games. Got one today at 1:35 with Lester on the bump.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

For what it's worth, MLB Trade Rumors has reviewed the Red Sox offseason:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/03/offseason-in-review-boston-red-sox.html

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

seems about right...Basically it could go either way with them this year. It was an honest view of this team in 2013 IMO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Interesting thread. Just to add my two cents worth: There should be competition for roster spots. And , the best twenty five should make the team. If that includes Iglesias , Bradley , Lavarnway , De La Rosa, Tazawa and Webster , then so be it.  I understand the arguments for remaining options , player control , etc. , but these considerations should take a back seat to putting our best team on the field.  You can't be always planning for the future. The future never comes. If the Sox are a better team with Iglesias at short , then he should be there, regardless of how much Drew is being paid.  Major League baseball is big time entertainment. The Sox should be putting their best on the field every day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Interesting thread. Just to add my two cents worth: There should be competition for roster spots. And , the best twenty five should make the team. If that includes Iglesias , Bradley , Lavarnway , De La Rosa, Tazawa and Webster , then so be it.  I understand the arguments for remaining options , player control , etc. , but these considerations should take a back seat to putting our best team on the field.  You can't be always planning for the future. The future never comes. If the Sox are a better team with Iglesias at short , then he should be there, regardless of how much Drew is being paid.  Major League baseball is big time entertainment. The Sox should be putting their best on the field every day.

No argument that the best should be on the field.  The only problem is that it's pretty hard to tell from a month of spring training games how some players (like Bradley) will do when the real games start.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

No argument that the best should be on the field.  The only problem is that it's pretty hard to tell from a month of spring training games how some players (like Bradley) will do when the real games start.

Sure. Who actually are the best 25 is a matter of opinion.  I am just saying that if one player is clearly better , he should not be sent down solely because he has options , or for control purposes , or just because the other guy was signed as a free agent and is being highly paid.  I just want to see our best lineup out there . There is no reason why we should not be able to compete for the pennant. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Dan Shaughnessy told Ellsbury that he would shave his head if Ellsbury was back with the Red Sox next season.  LOL

So far, Bradley Jr. looks like the real deal and if Ellsbury puts up 2011 numbers this year, his market value will go quite high. 

I think Ellsbury will be traded in July. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Interesting fact I found,

In 2014, the Red Sox have $87.9 million in guarenteed contract obligations

But in 2015, it drops to only $29.25 million.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Dan Shaughnessy told Ellsbury that he would shave his head if Ellsbury was back with the Red Sox next season.  LOL

So far, Bradley Jr. looks like the real deal and if Ellsbury puts up 2011 numbers this year, his market value will go quite high. 

Trading Ellsbury depends on the circumstances.  If the Sox are clearly in playoff contention in July and Ellsbury is playing well, how can you trade him?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Trading Ellsbury depends on the circumstances.  If the Sox are clearly in playoff contention in July and Ellsbury is playing well, how can you trade him?

Good morning Hfxsoxnut   :)

I agree with you--it depends on the circumstances. 

As a fan, I would hate to see Ellsbury leave and the Red Sox get nothing.  I think the front office will take the conservative approach and pull a "Nomar trade" where they get a couple of good players in return. 

I can only imagine the pressure Ellsbury is going through--free agent year, Bradley Jr being a great talent, and he has dealt with a few injuries, etc.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Red Auerbach had the same philosophy.  He felt the future was 'now' and acquired players accordingly.  Usually, mostly veterans interspersed with a rookie or two....made famous by the 'sixth-man' strategy that Havlicekand others were famous for.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Oakland's approach: Sign former Red Sox players and make 99% of trades with Arizona    LOL

Speaking of Oakland, I pick them to win the AL West again.  Last year was not a fluke. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, and I have said Iggy might play, but only of Drew is traded  (Like Youk) or hurt.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Here's the jist...

The rotation includes Jon LesterClay Buchholz and Felix Doubront, who all posted ERAs above 4.50 in 2012. Each pitcher can be better, but counting on bounce-back performances from so many players seems risky.... 

...The Red Sox will be an improved team in 2013. But after falling to the bottom of the American League East standings a year ago, this club can no longer be considered prohibitive co-favorites, as they were for most of the last decade. Instead, they’re a fringe contender that could just as easily end up with another sub-.500 record.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

By use of the phone... LOL.

Sections
Shortcuts