A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

Nut, right now Bradley is our best defensive outfielder, especially when you factor in his arm, which is far superior to Ells. I'm not saying that he would transition perfectly into a MLB lineup right now, although I'd like to see the Sox try it, but his glove, like Iggy's, is already well above MLB average.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Thinking outside of the box a little....

1) Bradley is ready now defensively for sure.

2) Bradley does appear to have a very advanced hitting approach already, particularly in terms of getting on base.

3) Bradley has produced in high pressure situations in college and seems to be a mature young man emotionally, capable of dealing with adversity and a big market.

4) Considering the wear and tear a center fielder often takes in MLB, are the normal "prime" years the same for a center fielder? Would he be better now rather than at 29? Look at other CF who have aged quickly in mlb and had difficulty staying on the field.

5) What are our needs THIS YEAR? Would he not fit in as a solid outfielder against all RH pitching and as a defensive replacement for THIS TEAM? The kid would potentially get into almost every game if he were also subbed as a defensive replacement in left field and he would probably play against most RH pitching considering the extreme splits of our normal LF and RF starters. 

6) He's a young player who is not used to playing 155 games anyway. He may be better off playing with some periodic rest in order to optimize his performance. Would he not develop just as fast in this situation, playing at least 2/3 the games?. 

7) It could just be that Bradley is one of our best lead off options already. Enabling us to slot Ellsbury at #3. Significantly changing the entire lineup.

*** I'm not saying go with Bradley at the start of the year but after we arrange to keep him from being a super 2, I have no problem at all bringing him up. The key to me is why did he slump the last month in AA ball? Was it a pitching adjustment which he just couldn't handle? Or was it fatigue and/or injuries or just a slump? To me that is a huge aspect of this decision.

After seeing Bradley this ST one thing that is clear that RS might soon regret the SV signing. Think he could have started in RF this year and given us the same defense and probably more production offensively. Then probably would become starting CF next year and hopefully Brentz/ or Kalish would have been ready to take over RF position in 14.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

2) Bradley does appear to have a very advanced hitting approach already, particularly in terms of getting on base.

3) Bradley has produced in high pressure situations in college and seems to be a mature young man emotionally, capable of dealing with adversity and a big market.

4) Considering the wear and tear a center fielder often takes in MLB, are the normal "prime" years the same for a center fielder? Would he be better now rather than at 29? Look at other CF who have aged quickly in mlb and had difficulty staying on the field.

5) What are our needs THIS YEAR? Would he not fit in as a solid outfielder against all RH pitching and as a defensive replacement for THIS TEAM? The kid would potentially get into almost every game if he were also subbed as a defensive replacement in left field and he would probably play against most RH pitching considering the extreme splits of our normal LF and RF starters. 

6) He's a young player who is not used to playing 155 games anyway. He may be better off playing with some periodic rest in order to optimize his performance. Would he not develop just as fast in this situation, playing at least 2/3 the games?. 

7) It could just be that Bradley is one of our best lead off options already. Enabling us to slot Ellsbury at #3. Significantly changing the entire lineup.

*** I'm not saying go with Bradley at the start of the year but after we arrange to keep him from being a super 2, I have no problem at all bringing him up. The key to me is why did he slump the last month in AA ball? Was it a pitching adjustment which he just couldn't handle? Or was it fatigue and/or injuries or just a slump? To me that is a huge aspect of this decision.

After seeing Bradley this ST one thing that is clear that RS might soon regret the SV signing. Think he could have started in RF this year and given us the same defense and probably more production offensively. Then probably would become starting CF next year and hopefully Brentz/ or Kalish would have been ready to take over RF position in 14.

As soon as I posted that Gary I also thought about the 3 years of control we have of Victorino. And I also thought we may well live to regret it. What if we do extend Ellsbury for example nd we coul have sotted JBJ out there? I agree, it's very possibe that we regret the $39 mil Victorino signing.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if we regret the $26 mil Ortiz deal either. There are lots of reasonswhy it would have been better to let him walk finally this winter. I hope not but why resign him for that amount when we knew he had a major injury? We may not see much at all from Ortiz this year either from injury time or reduced performance IMO. It wsn't worth the risk.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to jidgef's comment:

They should print your reports on the Globe Sports Pages.

You mean they're not?

You haven't gotten a check yet?

They're probably mailing it to Mass while I'm down here in Florida; just my luck!

Don't expect a windfall.

;)

I got a $100 check as a blogger last year. I wouldn't quit your day job Jidge! Then again, Andrew Sullivan is grossing over $800,000 and the guys at mlbtraderumors are doing just fine.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Boom, I retired seven years ago, but now I'm semi-employed as my father-in-law's caretaker. The pay isn't too good but the benefits (he has season's tickets to Jet Blue) are pretty good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

Hey Moon, Notin, Drewski, Jid, Mef, Boom, Ice, Gary, Dgale, Southpaw and all the other guys i failed to mention but enjoy the good baseball talk on this thread.....I'll be in the Fort next week!  I managed to escape snowy Vermont, by myself, to see three games in four days.  I'll be at Hammond on Thursday, Jet Blue Friday night, and Port Charlotte Saturday.  Been all over Florida several times through the years, but never to Fort Myers.  I have great seats for all three games and am one of those guys who watches every pitch of every game and looks for the nuances of the game that day.  I should see a good representation of major and minor leaguers as well as most of the pitchers since i'm seeing a day game, night game, day game.  I will try to post while there, but I won't be as diligent as Jid. (Maybe i'll see you on the 15th though).  If there is anything in particular anyone wants me to look for, shoot me a message on here and i'll do my best.  I don't post a lot on these threads but I read them as much as I can and I respect the guys who keep it to baseball talk, still the best game out there. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

we shouldn't waste Bradleys time if he isn't going to be an everyday player..

Whaaaa, we're "building his confidence!"

;)

i'll take 1 extra year closer to his prime rather than a confident rookie who is still developing thank you very much :)

Why waste the year of control and more important, have him sit on the bench part of the time and play out of position? Just so everyone gets to see him play? Makes no sense to me.

Unless hes playing 100% of the time, and in CF, he should be in AAA

agreed, although if we keep jacoby he will have to get used to playing RF next season Laughing

Actually if Ells' does hit for power and by some miracle we do resign him, I could see him in LF with JBJ in CF...JBJ is the better out for the 2 defensively and has a much better arm.

+1

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

So Anibal Sanchez didn't look very good against the DR last night...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

;)

i'll take 1 extra year closer to his prime rather than a confident rookie who is still developing thank you very much :)

Why waste the year of control and more important, have him sit on the bench part of the time and play out of position? Just so everyone gets to see him play? Makes no sense to me.

agreed, although if we keep jacoby he will have to get used to playing RF next season Laughing

Actually if Ells' does hit for power and by some miracle we do resign him, I could see him in LF with JBJ in CF...JBJ is the better out for the 2 defensively and has a much better arm.

thus the arm would be much better suited for RF where it can be put to good use. Plus a configuration with either of them in LF is a vast waste of their talent. one has to be in CF and one in RF. Ells doesn't have the arm for RF, JBJ does.

besides, Fenways RF is like a second CF anyway...

You have a point...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Jid, don't worry about the money.  I'm working on something more important for you.  I'm working on your nomination for the annual "Curt Gowdy Jet Blue Award" for the best journalism offered up at the ST venue.  So far, you are the only one nominated.  Those who don't understand the significance and importance of this award just are too young to get it.  "Many are called but only a few are qualified to serve."  The beautiful chalice that comes with this award is of a much higher coin than the filthy lucre that will soon be gone...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to cassvt2004's comment:

Hey Moon, Notin, Drewski, Jid, Mef, Boom, Ice, Gary, Dgale, Southpaw and all the other guys i failed to mention but enjoy the good baseball talk on this thread.....I'll be in the Fort next week!  I managed to escape snowy Vermont, by myself, to see three games in four days.  I'll be at Hammond on Thursday, Jet Blue Friday night, and Port Charlotte Saturday.  Been all over Florida several times through the years, but never to Fort Myers.  I have great seats for all three games and am one of those guys who watches every pitch of every game and looks for the nuances of the game that day.  I should see a good representation of major and minor leaguers as well as most of the pitchers since i'm seeing a day game, night game, day game.  I will try to post while there, but I won't be as diligent as Jid. (Maybe i'll see you on the 15th though).  If there is anything in particular anyone wants me to look for, shoot me a message on here and i'll do my best.  I don't post a lot on these threads but I read them as much as I can and I respect the guys who keep it to baseball talk, still the best game out there. 

Thanks cass...Look forward to your posts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

;)

thus the arm would be much better suited for RF where it can be put to good use. Plus a configuration with either of them in LF is a vast waste of their talent. one has to be in CF and one in RF. Ells doesn't have the arm for RF, JBJ does.

besides, Fenways RF is like a second CF anyway...

You have a point...

i mean it's the only configuration i can think of that maximized both of their talents... In fenway anyway, in other parks we can mix and match, Like in yankee stadium put Ells in LF and JBJ in CF.

but in Fenway i don't see how you can justify putting either of them in that tiny LF, a complete waste of their elite range. And it's not like your missing out by putting Ells in CF, he is one of the best CF'ers in the entire league defensively. his only knock is his arm but he makes up for it with his speed and excellent range.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to cassvt2004's comment:

You got that right: baseball is the best.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

And it's not like your missing out by putting Ells in CF, he is one of the best CF'ers in the entire league defensively. his only knock is his arm but he makes up for it with his speed and excellent range.

You missed the knock on his slow breaks on some balls hit his way, the poor routes he takes to get to some balls hit his way, and his reluctance to call off IF'er charging after bloopers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

And it's not like your missing out by putting Ells in CF, he is one of the best CF'ers in the entire league defensively. his only knock is his arm but he makes up for it with his speed and excellent range.

You missed the knock on his slow breaks on some balls hit his way, the poor routes he takes to get to some balls hit his way, and his reluctance to call off IF'er charging after bloopers.

i don't see it that way..... well maybe the IF'ers part. i see that hit in my sleep sometimes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

i don't see it that way..... well maybe the IF'ers part. i see that hit in my sleep sometimes.

Watch closely this year, or go back and look at game film.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

As soon as I posted that Gary I also thought about the 3 years of control we have of Victorino. And I also thought we may well live to regret it. What if we do extend Ellsbury for example nd we coul have sotted JBJ out there? I agree, it's very possibe that we regret the $39 mil Victorino signing.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if we regret the $26 mil Ortiz deal either. There are lots of reasonswhy it would have been better to let him walk finally this winter. I hope not but why resign him for that amount when we knew he had a major injury? We may not see much at all from Ortiz this year either from injury time or reduced performance IMO. It wsn't worth the risk.

Best case scenario for RS is that SV plays very well for RS and JBJ continues to impress in AAA. Then hopefully RS might find a suitor to take SV's contract off their hand [might have to eat some of it] and Bradley gets the call. Nothing motivates a team more than a young player coming to big club and playing well, seems to get everyone to play w/ more passion. But long season and injuries always play a part too, so hopefully JBJ in Fenway not to distant future.

As for Ortiz if there was ever a player who even if he didn't take another swing in a RS uniform has earned every penny of it, its Ortiz. While I would not want that to be the case, after RS made him squirm for 1 yr contracts for so long and produced as much as any RS player.You'll never hear me complain about $ Ortiz is being paid.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

His knock was always getting bad breaks on balls. I remember he would start in on a ball going deep and go back on a ball not hit so hard. A lot of those great catches were made because of his great speed to make up for bad reads.

I admit he has gotten a lot better at reading the ball off the bat, but it is still his weakness.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Best case scenario for RS is that SV plays very well for RS and JBJ continues to impress in AAA. Then hopefully RS might find a suitor to take SV's contract off their hand [might have to eat some of it] and Bradley gets the call. Nothing motivates a team more than a young player coming to big club and playing well, seems to get everyone to play w/ more passion. But long season and injuries always play a part too, so hopefully JBJ in Fenway not to distant future.

Agreed.

As for Ortiz if there was ever a player who even if he didn't take another swing in a RS uniform has earned every penny of it, its Ortiz. While I would not want that to be the case, after RS made him squirm for 1 yr contracts for so long and produced as much as any RS player.You'll never hear me complain about $ Ortiz is being paid.

Papi could deserve even more. As compared to other higher priced players over the years, one could argue that he is owed more.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

His knock was always getting bad breaks on balls. I remember he would start in on a ball going deep and go back on a ball not hit so hard. A lot of those great catches were made because of his great speed to make up for bad reads.

I admit he has gotten a lot better at reading the ball off the bat, but it is still his weakness.

It's something more noticable live than on TV, but when you can notice it so much on TV, it's an issue.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

When you watch an outfielder like Bradley Jr. break on a ball at the crack of the bat you get an instant appreciation for natural fielding gifts. Ellsbury has improved with time and experience, and his speed can make up for poorer breaks, but he'll never have the natural instincts of a Bradley or a JD Drew for that matter.

Last night's game was a bit of a yawner; it looked like both teams were anxious to catch a bus or something. Lots of first-pitch grounders to the infield and too many called-third strikes, the worst of which came in the first inning when Nava left the bases loaded with one out. The highlight of the game for Boston was probably the play of young Vazquez as the back-up catcher, throwing out a would be stealer by a mile and cracking a solid double in the ninth. The back end of Pawtucket's pitching staff pitched pretty well. Other than that, only the cooler than expected temperatures kept us awake.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

When you watch an outfielder like Bradley Jr. break on a ball at the crack of the bat you get an instant appreciation for natural fielding gifts. Ellsbury has improved with time and experience, and his speed can make up for poorer breaks, but he'll never have the natural instincts of a Bradley or a JD Drew for that matter.

Last night's game was a bit of a yawner; it looked like both teams were anxious to catch a bus or something. Lots of first-pitch grounders to the infield and too many called-third strikes, the worst of which came in the first inning when Nava left the bases loaded with one out. The highlight of the game for Boston was probably the play of young Vazquez as the back-up catcher, throwing out a would be stealer by a mile and cracking a solid double in the ninth. The back end of Pawtucket's pitching staff pitched pretty well. Other than that, only the cooler than expected temperatures kept us awake.  

Im starting to become a big fan of Vasquez. I stared watching him a little more closely last year and really liked what I saw defensively. Hes got some power, but has only showed inconstant glimpses of it. But at such a young age for a catcher (22), Im sure the offensive numbers will rise. 

I think instead of Lavarnway or Swihart, fans should start taking notice of this kid as our catcher of the future...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

Im starting to become a big fan of Vasquez. I stared watching him a little more closely last year and really liked what I saw defensively. Hes got some power, but has only showed inconstant glimpses of it. But at such a young age for a catcher (22), Im sure the offensive numbers will rise. 

I think instead of Lavarnway or Swihart, fans should start taking notice of this kid as our catcher of the future...

It seems like the Sox certainly are dealing from a position of strength at one of the hardest positions to draft and develop.  I wouldn't be so quick to move one of them however, unless they were overwhelmed.  Lavarnway could be a C/1B/DH type at the ML level, much like Napoli has been up to this point.  Swihart is 20, I believe, but it doesn't seem like his body projects to that of a prototypical ML catcher. (isn't he like 5'10", 180 lbs.?) In addition, his bat and the fact he is a switch hitter may make him more valuable somewhere else, like Houston did with Biggio when they realized that catching was going to take a toll on his knees.  Vasquez just looks the part.  He is solid like Pudhe and the Molina's.  He has a strong, accurate arm and a super quick release.  He seems to block balls well.  I haven't yet heard what kind of game he calls, but if pitchers like throwing to him, he seems to have the whole package.  Sometimes offense develops a bit later w/ a catcher as well.  I do not know much about Dan Butler, but they must have seen something in him as well to use a 40 man roster spot on him. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Cass, hopefully we'll communicate before you get here so we can arrange a meet. I'm in section 109, row 12 (the handicapped row), seats 12-14. I like Vazquez as well, but at 22 with a crowd in front of him, I'm sure he's ticketed for Portland. That doesn't mean everyone ahead of him is now or will be better than him, it simply means that his bat belongs there and he'll get a better chance to fine-tune his skills. The one catcher here that I don't get is Butler, he's 26 and split time between Portland and Pawtucket last year with marginal offensive success. But I haven't been impressed with his bat or glove down here. It appears that unless a deal can be struck somewhere that Salty and Ross start in Boston and Lavarnway and Butler make up the AAA tandem which should give Vazques lots of playing time in AA. Of the five, based on what I've seen this spring and trying to forget what I saw last season, I would rank them defensively, Ross, Vazquez, Salty, Lavarnway and Butler. Offensively, I would say Lavarnway, Salty, Ross, Vazques and Butler, again, that is based strictly on what I've seen this spring which will be sure to bring out the "small sample size" arguments. Salty has put up pretty good numbers down here, but his swing is sooo long and his plate discipline is awful, but he does feast on weak pitching.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I find myself anxiously awaiting your reports each night. Thanks again, Jid.

If Vazquez can turn out like we hope, Lava and/or Swihart could end up being nice trade bait, but that is a ways off from now.

Sections
Shortcuts