A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to jidgef's comment:

Cass, hopefully we'll communicate before you get here so we can arrange a meet. I'm in section 109, row 12 (the handicapped row), seats 12-14. I like Vazquez as well, but at 22 with a crowd in front of him, I'm sure he's ticketed for Portland. That doesn't mean everyone ahead of him is now or will be better than him, it simply means that his bat belongs there and he'll get a better chance to fine-tune his skills. The one catcher here that I don't get is Butler, he's 26 and split time between Portland and Pawtucket last year with marginal offensive success. But I haven't been impressed with his bat or glove down here. It appears that unless a deal can be struck somewhere that Salty and Ross start in Boston and Lavarnway and Butler make up the AAA tandem which should give Vazques lots of playing time in AA. Of the five, based on what I've seen this spring and trying to forget what I saw last season, I would rank them defensively, Ross, Vazquez, Salty, Lavarnway and Butler. Offensively, I would say Lavarnway, Salty, Ross, Vazques and Butler, again, that is based strictly on what I've seen this spring which will be sure to bring out the "small sample size" arguments. Salty has put up pretty good numbers down here, but his swing is sooo long and his plate discipline is awful, but he does feast on weak pitching.

Maybe Butler is injury insurance, as he (and maybe Lava) might be the most ML ready catcher we have in the system right now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Tonight's report from the fort...

Where has all our offense gone? Bradley had good at bats, but not much else positive to report. I left after eight innings so I missed the four-run ninth, 3 for the O's and 1 for us. 

Doubront got roughed up a little in the first inning, actually his first two pitches put runners on second and third and no outs. He got out of it with just allowing the one run, but had to throw a lot of extra pitches because Holt messed up two double plays on consecutive plays with terrible relays. He has such great swing and miss stuff but is not consistent with it. Hanrahan looked great for the first time this spring, Baily looked shaky again. Miller looked unhittable as he has all spring. Doyle looked okay against the JV's for two innings and I missed him giving up three in the ninth.

The highlight for me tonight was getting to sit next to the father of Mike Belfiore who pitched two scoreless against us. He was a first round draft pick out of Boston College and is starting his fourth year of pro ball as a lefty reliever. He was traded to the O's from Arizona last year and is on the O's 40 man roster, ticketed for AA but hopeful of a shot at AAA. It was fun to talk with his dad, obviously a very proud papa, and to watch him, the dad, live and die with every pitch his boy threw. It brought back memories for me as my son was a pretty good high school pitcher, just starting his college career at a D3 school, and the stomach-churning this dad was going through had me and the guys I was sitting with actually cheering for the kid pitching against us. He did throw two scoreless against us, but gave up three hits. The hits were by Salty, Middlebrooks and Carp, and I didn't have the heart to tell the dad that his boy got all the minor-league hitters out but didn't get one MLB hitter out. But it was fun and informative listening to dad talk about the recruiting process, the college career and his professional career to date. I wished him well and said I hope his boy has a great career in the national league. He responded by saying that he did too because his boy is a better hitter than a pitcher! Fun night in spite of the home team's offensive ineptitude.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tonight's report from the fort...

Where has all our offense gone? Bradley had good at bats, but not much else positive to report. I left after eight innings so I missed the four-run ninth, 3 for the O's and 1 for us. 

Doubront got roughed up a little in the first inning, actually his first two pitches put runners on second and third and no outs. He got out of it with just allowing the one run, but had to throw a lot of extra pitches because Holt messed up two double plays on consecutive plays with terrible relays. He has such great swing and miss stuff but is not consistent with it. Hanrahan looked great for the first time this spring, Baily looked shaky again. Miller looked unhittable as he has all spring. Doyle looked okay against the JV's for two innings and I missed him giving up three in the ninth.

The highlight for me tonight was getting to sit next to the father of Mike Belfiore who pitched two scoreless against us. He was a first round draft pick out of Boston College and is starting his fourth year of pro ball as a lefty reliever. He was traded to the O's from Arizona last year and is on the O's 40 man roster, ticketed for AA but hopeful of a shot at AAA. It was fun to talk with his dad, obviously a very proud papa, and to watch him, the dad, live and die with every pitch his boy threw. It brought back memories for me as my son was a pretty good high school pitcher, just starting his college career at a D3 school, and the stomach-churning this dad was going through had me and the guys I was sitting with actually cheering for the kid pitching against us. He did throw two scoreless against us, but gave up three hits. The hits were by Salty, Middlebrooks and Carp, and I didn't have the heart to tell the dad that his boy got all the minor-league hitters out but didn't get one MLB hitter out. But it was fun and informative listening to dad talk about the recruiting process, the college career and his professional career to date. I wished him well and said I hope his boy has a great career in the national league. He responded by saying that he did too because his boy is a better hitter than a pitcher! Fun night in spite of the home team's offensive ineptitude.

Thanks again for the update. Good stuff.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Jid,  as usual, GREAT reading and sincerely appreciated.

I'm sorry about the health of your father-in-law.  In a previous post, I didn't intend to compare or seem to boast about the health of my faher-in-law.  If you felt that, I apologize.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It seems that sometimes Doubront gets that outside pitch up and RH hitters can easily take it to RF. He's got to keep that pitch down more. For whatever reason it sometimes floats up there waiting to be smacked.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Jid,  as usual, GREAT reading and sincerely appreciated.

I'm sorry about the health of your father-in-law.  In a previous post, I didn't intend to compare or seem to boast about the health of my faher-in-law.  If you felt that, I apologize.

No apology necessary! Anyone who can shoot 85 should be boasting;)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to cassvt2004's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

When you watch an outfielder like Bradley Jr. break on a ball at the crack of the bat you get an instant appreciation for natural fielding gifts. Ellsbury has improved with time and experience, and his speed can make up for poorer breaks, but he'll never have the natural instincts of a Bradley or a JD Drew for that matter.

Last night's game was a bit of a yawner; it looked like both teams were anxious to catch a bus or something. Lots of first-pitch grounders to the infield and too many called-third strikes, the worst of which came in the first inning when Nava left the bases loaded with one out. The highlight of the game for Boston was probably the play of young Vazquez as the back-up catcher, throwing out a would be stealer by a mile and cracking a solid double in the ninth. The back end of Pawtucket's pitching staff pitched pretty well. Other than that, only the cooler than expected temperatures kept us awake.  

Im starting to become a big fan of Vasquez. I stared watching him a little more closely last year and really liked what I saw defensively. Hes got some power, but has only showed inconstant glimpses of it. But at such a young age for a catcher (22), Im sure the offensive numbers will rise. 

I think instead of Lavarnway or Swihart, fans should start taking notice of this kid as our catcher of the future...

It seems like the Sox certainly are dealing from a position of strength at one of the hardest positions to draft and develop.  I wouldn't be so quick to move one of them however, unless they were overwhelmed.  Lavarnway could be a C/1B/DH type at the ML level, much like Napoli has been up to this point.  Swihart is 20, I believe, but it doesn't seem like his body projects to that of a prototypical ML catcher. (isn't he like 5'10", 180 lbs.?) In addition, his bat and the fact he is a switch hitter may make him more valuable somewhere else, like Houston did with Biggio when they realized that catching was going to take a toll on his knees.  Vasquez just looks the part.  He is solid like Pudhe and the Molina's.  He has a strong, accurate arm and a super quick release.  He seems to block balls well.  I haven't yet heard what kind of game he calls, but if pitchers like throwing to him, he seems to have the whole package.  Sometimes offense develops a bit later w/ a catcher as well.  I do not know much about Dan Butler, but they must have seen something in him as well to use a 40 man roster spot on him. 

Hey jid,
    I certainly wouldnt be moving any of our catchers just yet either. Im just very excited to finally see the prototypical type catcher with great defense and the offensive potential that Vasquez has. I read somewhere yesterday that he grew up around or watching the molinas and models his game after theirs. Nothing wrong with that. From all accounts hes a smart catcher with great instincs for the position and the game. Still, unless he just completely breaks out this year, Im looking at 2015 for him. But wouldnt be surprised if he made an appearence in 2014.

Ive been saying for a while that Lavarnway doesnt look natural behind the plate. Lumbering and clumsy IMO. His bat is his big asset and IMO would be better at 1b/DH and could catch in an emergency. Hes not a starting catcher in MLB IMO. But what do I know.

Dan butler was non drafted in 2009 I believe. Im not sure hes a ft starter in MLB either. Good defense, game calling but lacking on offense. Hes projected as a BU at the MLB level or maybe a starter on a low level team.

Im with you on Swihart. I think hes going to end up at a different position mainly because of his size. Im sure he will fill out a bit, but his body type doesnt look like your prototypical catcher, ie; Vasquez, Salty. Hes got great potential, but like Biggio, I not sure he will last behind the plate in the long run.

The future does look pretty good at that position for the Sox. Look forward to your next updates. Enjoy sunny FT. Myers...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty may be moved at the deadline, if we are out of it by then. His contract runs out this season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Salty may be moved at the deadline, if we are out of it by then. His contract runs out this season.

With the new wild card it's really only a small number of teams that are truly out of it at the deadline.  All you have to do is look at last year's standings on July 31.  We were 53-51, but we were only a couple of games out of the last wild card with 58 games left.  There's been some talk about pushing the trade deadline further back because of this.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

With the new wild card it's really only a small number of teams that are truly out of it at the deadline.  All you have to do is look at last year's standings on July 31.  We were 53-51, but we were only a couple of games out of the last wild card with 58 games left.  There's been some talk about pushing the trade deadline further back because of this.

He could also be dealt on a waiver deal in August.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

It's nice to see five teams from each league make the playoffs (compared to only two from each league up to 1993).

The 1993 SF Giants won 103 games but did not make the playoffs because the Braves won the NL West by winning 104 games. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i like that idea. makes sense too, i know we didn't make any drastic changes to try to push us into over the hump at the deadline but shortly after the AS break we tanked and it pretty much killed our season. After that we floundered until the mega-deal and from there on the season was over.

Pushing the deadline back will give teams a better picture of where they stand now that there is more PS bound teams. If the deadline was even 2 weeks further back we probably would have been sellers and we may have been in better shape than we are now.. in terms of future outlook anyway.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Who is going to make a qualifying offer on almost any catcher going forward? The new CBA just cruched the FA market for lots of guys. No way we get a pick for Salty if he walks. But the trade value of catchers may have gone up as catchers rarely apper to be available in the FA market. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I was posting on a different thread about possibly DHing Drew or having him play first (Naps would then DH) while Papi was out. This would allow Iggy to start at SS. He doesn;t have a FA clock or anything like that to worry about and we can give him that shot some posters are clamoring for. If Iggy puts up respectable numbers offensively we obviously would want him at SS ahead of Drew. So instead of having a 10 million dollar bench guy or trading him i was thinking we could move him to LF and have him as the RHH half of a platoon with Gomes.

Drew hits righties better than lefties and puts up respectable numbers. I know he doesn't play the OF but neither did A-gon and he played (the larger) RF very well with less speed. Like A-gon, Drew is very good at positioning himself and since he already plays the left side of the field he can read the ball coming off of the bat just as well. Being a smaller area to cover (especially with Jacobys excellent range to his left) in fenways LF i think he would give us decent defense while hitting righties pretty well.

just something to chew on... since we are looking for a better RHH platoon partner to pair with Gomes than Nava or Carp.. Drew hits righties better than Nava and it has an added bonus of getting Iggy into the starting MLB lineup.

am i crazy? or does that sound like it could work.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

i like that idea. makes sense too, i know we didn't make any drastic changes to try to push us into over the hump at the deadline but shortly after the AS break we tanked and it pretty much killed our season. After that we floundered until the mega-deal and from there on the season was over.

Pushing the deadline back will give teams a better picture of where they stand now that there is more PS bound teams. If the deadline was even 2 weeks further back we probably would have been sellers and we may have been in better shape than we are now.. in terms of future outlook anyway.

But, how fair is it for a team to totally reload so late in the season and enter the playoffs with a very different team than the one who toiled for 5 months?

The poorer competitive teams could only sit and watch... again.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was posting on a different thread about possibly DHing Drew or having him play first (Naps would then DH) while Papi was out. This would allow Iggy to start at SS. He doesn;t have a FA clock or anything like that to worry about and we can give him that shot some posters are clamoring for. If Iggy puts up respectable numbers offensively we obviously would want him at SS ahead of Drew. So instead of having a 10 million dollar bench guy or trading him i was thinking we could move him to LF and have him as the RHH half of a platoon with Gomes.

Drew hits righties better than lefties and puts up respectable numbers. I know he doesn't play the OF but neither did A-gon and he played (the larger) RF very well with less speed. Like A-gon, Drew is very good at positioning himself and since he already plays the left side of the field he can read the ball coming off of the bat just as well. Being a smaller area to cover (especially with Jacobys excellent range to his left) in fenways LF i think he would give us decent defense while hitting righties pretty well.

just something to chew on... since we are looking for a better RHH platoon partner to pair with Gomes than Nava or Carp.. Drew hits righties better than Nava and it has an added bonus of getting Iggy into the starting MLB lineup.

It does sound crazy that before the season even starts, we have realized what a waste of $10M the Drew signing was.

It's not chump change. We could have upgraded at another weak link position.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Without Ortiz to start the season I might go with a DH platoon of Drew (obviously with Iggy starting at short) or Gomes with Victorino in left and Bradley Jr. in right.But realistically, I don't see them keeping both Iggy and Bradley on the 25 man roster to start the season. If they want to start with a dedicated DH, like Ortiz, then they have him in camp in Mauro Gomez. He can hit and he is best suited for DH(I am a better firstbaseman).

Moon, to your point, based on last September the team had little or no faith in either Lavarnway (Ross signing) or Iggy (Drew signing). In a "bridge" year it makes all the sense in the world to go with the kids, but no one in power in Boston would ever admit to that "bridge" word. Drew's signing was definitely superfluous. Ross' signing can be justified as a mentor to Salty and Lavarnway, but I think his signing was done with an eye towards a deal that has yet to happen. Further Ross was brought in to help with the pitching woes, and what better way to help your pitching then to back them up with superior defenders like Iggy and Bradley.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Its not as easy as some think to just switch positions. It doesnt matter how good of an athlete they are. if they have never played the position, your setting them up to fail.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Without Ortiz to start the season I might go with a DH platoon of Drew (obviously with Iggy starting at short) or Gomes with Victorino in left and Bradley Jr. in right.But realistically, I don't see them keeping both Iggy and Bradley on the 25 man roster to start the season. If they want to start with a dedicated DH, like Ortiz, then they have him in camp in Mauro Gomez. He can hit and he is best suited for DH(I am a better firstbaseman).

Moon, to your point, based on last September the team had little or no faith in either Lavarnway (Ross signing) or Iggy (Drew signing). In a "bridge" year it makes all the sense in the world to go with the kids, but no one in power in Boston would ever admit to that "bridge" word. Drew's signing was definitely superfluous. Ross' signing can be justified as a mentor to Salty and Lavarnway, but I think his signing was done with an eye towards a deal that has yet to happen. Further Ross was brought in to help with the pitching woes, and what better way to help your pitching then to back them up with superior defenders like Iggy and Bradley.

I would love to have Iggy and JBJ here jid, but only if they play 100% of the time. Maybe the FO makes a move before the season starts.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

Cass, hopefully we'll communicate before you get here so we can arrange a meet. I'm in section 109, row 12 (the handicapped row), seats 12-14. I like Vazquez as well, but at 22 with a crowd in front of him, I'm sure he's ticketed for Portland. That doesn't mean everyone ahead of him is now or will be better than him, it simply means that his bat belongs there and he'll get a better chance to fine-tune his skills. The one catcher here that I don't get is Butler, he's 26 and split time between Portland and Pawtucket last year with marginal offensive success. But I haven't been impressed with his bat or glove down here. It appears that unless a deal can be struck somewhere that Salty and Ross start in Boston and Lavarnway and Butler make up the AAA tandem which should give Vazques lots of playing time in AA. Of the five, based on what I've seen this spring and trying to forget what I saw last season, I would rank them defensively, Ross, Vazquez, Salty, Lavarnway and Butler. Offensively, I would say Lavarnway, Salty, Ross, Vazques and Butler, again, that is based strictly on what I've seen this spring which will be sure to bring out the "small sample size" arguments. Salty has put up pretty good numbers down here, but his swing is sooo long and his plate discipline is awful, but he does feast on weak pitching.

Hey Jid, thanks for getting back to me.  I'll be @ Jet Blue on Friday night.  I'm in section 114, but will make my way over to where you are.  I look forward to the game and meeting up.  I'm trying to project out, and it looks like Dempster will be getting the start.  I'm hoping to see JBJ and Iglesias too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

It does sound crazy that before the season even starts, we have realized what a waste of $10M the Drew signing was.

i never said it is a waste.. im not saying to put him on the bench. i'm trying to fufill your wishes of Iggy playing SS as well as increase our productivity VS RHP in the OF. Drew is still a better SS than iggy as it stands now but since we can kill 2 birds with 1 stone with that move i figured it would be a decent option. If offers us further flexibility.

and like i already said, the roster was mostly set before Drew was signed... so idk how you think that 10M could have been put to better use when the roster was already rounded out when we brought Drew into the mix. were you planning on spending that 10M on a closer and not make the Hanrahan trade?? other than that i don't see how it could have been used aside from banking it for use at the deadline.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Its not as easy as some think to just switch positions. It doesnt matter how good of an athlete they are. if they have never played the position, your setting them up to fail.

don't you think the transition would be eased by staying on the same side of the field as well as moving to the small OF? i realize that if this was an option to the FO that they would have had Drew out there in ST.. this is just a proposition that gives us more flexibility.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm fine with the Ross signing, but even though Drew's deal is just 1 year, it was a waste. I wouldn't have signed him for that money for 2-3 years.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

i never said it is a waste.. im not saying to put him on the bench. i'm trying to fufill your wishes of Iggy playing SS as well as increase our productivity VS RHP in the OF. Drew is still a better SS than iggy as it stands now but since we can kill 2 birds with 1 stone with that move i figured it would be a decent option. If offers us further flexibility.

and like i already said, the roster was mostly set before Drew was signed... so idk how you think that 10M could have been put to better use when the roster was already rounded out when we brought Drew into the mix. were you planning on spending that 10M on a closer and not make the Hanrahan trade?? other than that i don't see how it could have been used aside from banking it for use at the deadline.

Drew's not good enough to be a DH, but I get what you are trying to do.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Drew's not good enough to be a DH, but I get what you are trying to do.

i didn't say he should DH either. i said he should platoon LF with Gomes

Sections
Shortcuts