A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

Who is going to make a qualifying offer on almost any catcher going forward? The new CBA just cruched the FA market for lots of guys. No way we get a pick for Salty if he walks. But the trade value of catchers may have gone up as catchers rarely apper to be available in the FA market. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I was posting on a different thread about possibly DHing Drew or having him play first (Naps would then DH) while Papi was out. This would allow Iggy to start at SS. He doesn;t have a FA clock or anything like that to worry about and we can give him that shot some posters are clamoring for. If Iggy puts up respectable numbers offensively we obviously would want him at SS ahead of Drew. So instead of having a 10 million dollar bench guy or trading him i was thinking we could move him to LF and have him as the RHH half of a platoon with Gomes.

Drew hits righties better than lefties and puts up respectable numbers. I know he doesn't play the OF but neither did A-gon and he played (the larger) RF very well with less speed. Like A-gon, Drew is very good at positioning himself and since he already plays the left side of the field he can read the ball coming off of the bat just as well. Being a smaller area to cover (especially with Jacobys excellent range to his left) in fenways LF i think he would give us decent defense while hitting righties pretty well.

just something to chew on... since we are looking for a better RHH platoon partner to pair with Gomes than Nava or Carp.. Drew hits righties better than Nava and it has an added bonus of getting Iggy into the starting MLB lineup.

am i crazy? or does that sound like it could work.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Salty may be moved at the deadline, if we are out of it by then. His contract runs out this season.

With the new wild card it's really only a small number of teams that are truly out of it at the deadline.  All you have to do is look at last year's standings on July 31.  We were 53-51, but we were only a couple of games out of the last wild card with 58 games left.  There's been some talk about pushing the trade deadline further back because of this.

i like that idea. makes sense too, i know we didn't make any drastic changes to try to push us into over the hump at the deadline but shortly after the AS break we tanked and it pretty much killed our season. After that we floundered until the mega-deal and from there on the season was over.

Pushing the deadline back will give teams a better picture of where they stand now that there is more PS bound teams. If the deadline was even 2 weeks further back we probably would have been sellers and we may have been in better shape than we are now.. in terms of future outlook anyway.

But, how fair is it for a team to totally reload so late in the season and enter the playoffs with a very different team than the one who toiled for 5 months?

The poorer competitive teams could only sit and watch... again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was posting on a different thread about possibly DHing Drew or having him play first (Naps would then DH) while Papi was out. This would allow Iggy to start at SS. He doesn;t have a FA clock or anything like that to worry about and we can give him that shot some posters are clamoring for. If Iggy puts up respectable numbers offensively we obviously would want him at SS ahead of Drew. So instead of having a 10 million dollar bench guy or trading him i was thinking we could move him to LF and have him as the RHH half of a platoon with Gomes.

Drew hits righties better than lefties and puts up respectable numbers. I know he doesn't play the OF but neither did A-gon and he played (the larger) RF very well with less speed. Like A-gon, Drew is very good at positioning himself and since he already plays the left side of the field he can read the ball coming off of the bat just as well. Being a smaller area to cover (especially with Jacobys excellent range to his left) in fenways LF i think he would give us decent defense while hitting righties pretty well.

just something to chew on... since we are looking for a better RHH platoon partner to pair with Gomes than Nava or Carp.. Drew hits righties better than Nava and it has an added bonus of getting Iggy into the starting MLB lineup.

It does sound crazy that before the season even starts, we have realized what a waste of $10M the Drew signing was.

It's not chump change. We could have upgraded at another weak link position.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Without Ortiz to start the season I might go with a DH platoon of Drew (obviously with Iggy starting at short) or Gomes with Victorino in left and Bradley Jr. in right.But realistically, I don't see them keeping both Iggy and Bradley on the 25 man roster to start the season. If they want to start with a dedicated DH, like Ortiz, then they have him in camp in Mauro Gomez. He can hit and he is best suited for DH(I am a better firstbaseman).

Moon, to your point, based on last September the team had little or no faith in either Lavarnway (Ross signing) or Iggy (Drew signing). In a "bridge" year it makes all the sense in the world to go with the kids, but no one in power in Boston would ever admit to that "bridge" word. Drew's signing was definitely superfluous. Ross' signing can be justified as a mentor to Salty and Lavarnway, but I think his signing was done with an eye towards a deal that has yet to happen. Further Ross was brought in to help with the pitching woes, and what better way to help your pitching then to back them up with superior defenders like Iggy and Bradley.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Its not as easy as some think to just switch positions. It doesnt matter how good of an athlete they are. if they have never played the position, your setting them up to fail.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Without Ortiz to start the season I might go with a DH platoon of Drew (obviously with Iggy starting at short) or Gomes with Victorino in left and Bradley Jr. in right.But realistically, I don't see them keeping both Iggy and Bradley on the 25 man roster to start the season. If they want to start with a dedicated DH, like Ortiz, then they have him in camp in Mauro Gomez. He can hit and he is best suited for DH(I am a better firstbaseman).

Moon, to your point, based on last September the team had little or no faith in either Lavarnway (Ross signing) or Iggy (Drew signing). In a "bridge" year it makes all the sense in the world to go with the kids, but no one in power in Boston would ever admit to that "bridge" word. Drew's signing was definitely superfluous. Ross' signing can be justified as a mentor to Salty and Lavarnway, but I think his signing was done with an eye towards a deal that has yet to happen. Further Ross was brought in to help with the pitching woes, and what better way to help your pitching then to back them up with superior defenders like Iggy and Bradley.

I would love to have Iggy and JBJ here jid, but only if they play 100% of the time. Maybe the FO makes a move before the season starts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

Cass, hopefully we'll communicate before you get here so we can arrange a meet. I'm in section 109, row 12 (the handicapped row), seats 12-14. I like Vazquez as well, but at 22 with a crowd in front of him, I'm sure he's ticketed for Portland. That doesn't mean everyone ahead of him is now or will be better than him, it simply means that his bat belongs there and he'll get a better chance to fine-tune his skills. The one catcher here that I don't get is Butler, he's 26 and split time between Portland and Pawtucket last year with marginal offensive success. But I haven't been impressed with his bat or glove down here. It appears that unless a deal can be struck somewhere that Salty and Ross start in Boston and Lavarnway and Butler make up the AAA tandem which should give Vazques lots of playing time in AA. Of the five, based on what I've seen this spring and trying to forget what I saw last season, I would rank them defensively, Ross, Vazquez, Salty, Lavarnway and Butler. Offensively, I would say Lavarnway, Salty, Ross, Vazques and Butler, again, that is based strictly on what I've seen this spring which will be sure to bring out the "small sample size" arguments. Salty has put up pretty good numbers down here, but his swing is sooo long and his plate discipline is awful, but he does feast on weak pitching.

Hey Jid, thanks for getting back to me.  I'll be @ Jet Blue on Friday night.  I'm in section 114, but will make my way over to where you are.  I look forward to the game and meeting up.  I'm trying to project out, and it looks like Dempster will be getting the start.  I'm hoping to see JBJ and Iglesias too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

It does sound crazy that before the season even starts, we have realized what a waste of $10M the Drew signing was.

i never said it is a waste.. im not saying to put him on the bench. i'm trying to fufill your wishes of Iggy playing SS as well as increase our productivity VS RHP in the OF. Drew is still a better SS than iggy as it stands now but since we can kill 2 birds with 1 stone with that move i figured it would be a decent option. If offers us further flexibility.

and like i already said, the roster was mostly set before Drew was signed... so idk how you think that 10M could have been put to better use when the roster was already rounded out when we brought Drew into the mix. were you planning on spending that 10M on a closer and not make the Hanrahan trade?? other than that i don't see how it could have been used aside from banking it for use at the deadline.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Its not as easy as some think to just switch positions. It doesnt matter how good of an athlete they are. if they have never played the position, your setting them up to fail.

don't you think the transition would be eased by staying on the same side of the field as well as moving to the small OF? i realize that if this was an option to the FO that they would have had Drew out there in ST.. this is just a proposition that gives us more flexibility.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm fine with the Ross signing, but even though Drew's deal is just 1 year, it was a waste. I wouldn't have signed him for that money for 2-3 years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

i never said it is a waste.. im not saying to put him on the bench. i'm trying to fufill your wishes of Iggy playing SS as well as increase our productivity VS RHP in the OF. Drew is still a better SS than iggy as it stands now but since we can kill 2 birds with 1 stone with that move i figured it would be a decent option. If offers us further flexibility.

and like i already said, the roster was mostly set before Drew was signed... so idk how you think that 10M could have been put to better use when the roster was already rounded out when we brought Drew into the mix. were you planning on spending that 10M on a closer and not make the Hanrahan trade?? other than that i don't see how it could have been used aside from banking it for use at the deadline.

Drew's not good enough to be a DH, but I get what you are trying to do.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i didn't say he should DH either. i said he should platoon LF with Gomes

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

i didn't say he should DH either. i said he should platoon LF with Gomes

Sorry, I misread your post.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

So, what does JBJ have to do to make this team? 3-4 today with a HR, double and a walk. He is hitting like .519. Did he need more development time last year or did he just get tired? The guy seems to get off to fast starts. The proverbial guy who can walk out of bed and hit.

This is one heck of a fast start, in addition to an incredibly fast start last year. Considering the situation, I think he might actually make this team. He can hit against RH pitching and God knows our OF is not optimized against RH pitching. And he just maybe is our lead off guy, allowing us to slot Ellsbury in the 3 hole. I'm 50/50 at this point. It's good to give him additional PT and save his year's of control but this guy might just be a game changer for us right now. At some point I believe in giving a guy his due.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

What did Fred Lynn hit in the minors, something like .276. At the same age. And then he hit .331 his rookie year. JBJ came from a top flight college program. He might just be ready right now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Did he need more development time last year or did he just get tired? 

There's more answer choices than just those two.

If we found a way to start Iggy at SS and JBJ in CF, I'd actually think we'd have a legitimate shot at advancing in the playoffs this year.

Oh well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

You may get your wish Moon!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Well, I don't see anyone whining here about Papi yet so I guess I will.  I admit I didn't say "Don't sign him!" But I'm pretty sure I expressed surprise at how much we offered and I never fell into the "Oh we owe him so much for all he's done!"  I'm of the philosophy that these guys are very well paid, and that business is business, on all sides.  I loved Mike Lowell but I didn't buy into the "Poor Mike has a few dings but he's done so much for us, he should be starting."

Anyway, we should have offered Papi no more 10 mil/one year or 14 mil/two.  A thirty seven year old guy with that kind of injury who couldn't run much anyway...Not hating on Papi, just think RS "baseball people" just didn't think this out very well.  Read an article this morning which said the RS wanted him this year to bring people to the park with all this new look.  If that's true, I'm disappointed.  Build a young team the right way, and I believe people will come anyway.  I've been worried about Papi, and now I'm more worried.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I've been saying don't re sign Ortiz for a couple years now. How do you like me now? Is it any coincidence that they are doing HGH testing this year? I really don't think so. I'm expecting nothing from Ortiz this year. It was only a matter of time for the implosion.

I have a right to my opinion and yes I do have significant data which supports my hypothesis. We will see who ends up right on that situation. As predicted for over a year now. I'm not going into this in depth again but watch and see what happens. We need to find plan B quickly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

So, what does JBJ have to do to make this team? 3-4 today with a HR, double and a walk. He is hitting like .519. Did he need more development time last year or did he just get tired? The guy seems to get off to fast starts. The proverbial guy who can walk out of bed and hit.

This is one heck of a fast start, in addition to an incredibly fast start last year. Considering the situation, I think he might actually make this team. He can hit against RH pitching and God knows our OF is not optimized against RH pitching. And he just maybe is our lead off guy, allowing us to slot Ellsbury in the 3 hole. I'm 50/50 at this point. It's good to give him additional PT and save his year's of control but this guy might just be a game changer for us right now. At some point I believe in giving a guy his due.

Boom, I don't know about his history, but based on what I've seen he hits lefties just as well as righties; hangs in very well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My guess is Ben will keep JBJ in AAA until we don't lose the year of team control on the back end. Iggy may take Papi's roster spot, and the DH role will be rotated between Drew, Gomes, and others.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

What about Gomez at DH until Papi is ready? It's not something I've seen anyone mention, but the guy rakes at the plate, and I think he's already on the 40 man roster.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

What about Gomez at DH until Papi is ready? It's not something I've seen anyone mention, but the guy rakes at the plate, and I think he's already on the 40 man roster.

I'm not high on Gomez. He seems like a career AAAA player.

I think we will see Gomes, Nava and Drew rotate through the DH slot.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

I'm not high on Gomez. He seems like a career AAAA player.

I think we will see Gomes, Nava and Drew rotate through the DH slot.

That's what he's been so far. But he's really hit in Boston whenever he's gotten the chance. You're probably right though on who we'll see filling in for the big man. A bigger mystery is what does Linares have to do to merit a long look?