A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

I don't think Linares will break camp this year.  But he may very well be the first (one of the first) to get a call up to provide depth in the event of an injury. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Linares does not need to be on the 40 man roster at this time, so we'd have to cut someone loose to give him a shot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Linares does not need to be on the 40 man roster at this time, so we'd have to cut someone loose to give him a shot.

Maybe he could get Hassan's spot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Hassan has a career OBP of .391. He just got to AAA, so it might be too early to give up on his chances to take a gamble on JC.

I have always liked Linares, but it's hard see him getting his shot this year.

Maybe, but unless we think Linares is the real deal, I doubt they cut ties with anyone just to give him a chance this year- a year of little hope anyways.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Maybe, but unless we think Linares is the real deal, I doubt they cut ties with anyone just to give him a chance this year- a year of little hope anyways.

I honestly think Hassan would clear waivers. He really doesn't bring anything to the table except the ability to get on base. He has little power and his defense is practically non existent. I don't think another MLB club would be willing to carry him all year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I honestly think Hassan would clear waivers. He really doesn't bring anything to the table except the ability to get on base. He has little power and his defense is practically non existent. I don't think another MLB club would be willing to carry him all year.

He'd make several team's 40 man rosters. I do not even think Ben views him as the 40th man. Perhaps Butler is that man. Ben may also trade a relief pitcher for a prospect to free room for Linares, if he feels he wants him on the big club.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Linares is great OF depth. If omeone gets hurt Linares is standing there with the ability to step in and he even has options. That is probably where he fits in this year.

I don't think we should rule out guys like rotating the spare OF talent to fill that spot. Sweeney, Nava...etc. if they are the ones chosen. A guy like Linares could crack into one of those spots though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Hassan is a rule 5 waiting to happen. We have Brentz and Bradley in the wings fairly soon. Linares is a stronger option. Hassan will not be kept around as window dressing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

I was posting on a different thread about possibly DHing Drew or having him play first (Naps would then DH) while Papi was out. This would allow Iggy to start at SS. He doesn;t have a FA clock or anything like that to worry about and we can give him that shot some posters are clamoring for. If Iggy puts up respectable numbers offensively we obviously would want him at SS ahead of Drew. So instead of having a 10 million dollar bench guy or trading him i was thinking we could move him to LF and have him as the RHH half of a platoon with Gomes.

Drew hits righties better than lefties and puts up respectable numbers. I know he doesn't play the OF but neither did A-gon and he played (the larger) RF very well with less speed. Like A-gon, Drew is very good at positioning himself and since he already plays the left side of the field he can read the ball coming off of the bat just as well. Being a smaller area to cover (especially with Jacobys excellent range to his left) in fenways LF i think he would give us decent defense while hitting righties pretty well.

just something to chew on... since we are looking for a better RHH platoon partner to pair with Gomes than Nava or Carp.. Drew hits righties better than Nava and it has an added bonus of getting Iggy into the starting MLB lineup.

am i crazy? or does that sound like it could work.

Its not as easy as some think to just switch positions. It doesnt matter how good of an athlete they are. if they have never played the position, your setting them up to fail.

don't you think the transition would be eased by staying on the same side of the field as well as moving to the small OF? i realize that if this was an option to the FO that they would have had Drew out there in ST.. this is just a proposition that gives us more flexibility.

OF and IF are totally different...Ask Youk.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jcri's comment:

Well, I don't see anyone whining here about Papi yet so I guess I will.  I admit I didn't say "Don't sign him!" But I'm pretty sure I expressed surprise at how much we offered and I never fell into the "Oh we owe him so much for all he's done!"  I'm of the philosophy that these guys are very well paid, and that business is business, on all sides.  I loved Mike Lowell but I didn't buy into the "Poor Mike has a few dings but he's done so much for us, he should be starting."

Anyway, we should have offered Papi no more 10 mil/one year or 14 mil/two.  A thirty seven year old guy with that kind of injury who couldn't run much anyway...Not hating on Papi, just think RS "baseball people" just didn't think this out very well.  Read an article this morning which said the RS wanted him this year to bring people to the park with all this new look.  If that's true, I'm disappointed.  Build a young team the right way, and I believe people will come anyway.  I've been worried about Papi, and now I'm more worried.  

The way I see it is the injury was looked at my more then just the Sox medical staff, and both said he should be fine by opening day. With the numbers he was putting up there was no sign of regression, so a contract was made.

We can argue all day about the $$ or the years, but the fact is they had the money to do it and I also understand, besides his great production, what it means to have Papi here during this transformation of the team. They have 87M commited next year and no matter what happens to papi, this contract will in no way interfere with anything. This year or next.

They still have about 13-15M to spend this year if they want to. Theres no question they had a plan B, C and D. people who run companies that are worth over a Billion dollars ALWAYS have multipe backup plans. Im sure they knew this and knew their options if it did come to this.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Well, I don't see anyone whining here about Papi yet so I guess I will.  I admit I didn't say "Don't sign him!" But I'm pretty sure I expressed surprise at how much we offered and I never fell into the "Oh we owe him so much for all he's done!"  I'm of the philosophy that these guys are very well paid, and that business is business, on all sides.  I loved Mike Lowell but I didn't buy into the "Poor Mike has a few dings but he's done so much for us, he should be starting."

Anyway, we should have offered Papi no more 10 mil/one year or 14 mil/two.  A thirty seven year old guy with that kind of injury who couldn't run much anyway...Not hating on Papi, just think RS "baseball people" just didn't think this out very well.  Read an article this morning which said the RS wanted him this year to bring people to the park with all this new look.  If that's true, I'm disappointed.  Build a young team the right way, and I believe people will come anyway.  I've been worried about Papi, and now I'm more worried.  

The way I see it is the injury was looked at my more then just the Sox medical staff, and both said he should be fine by opening day. With the numbers he was putting up there was no sign of regression, so a contract was made.

We can argue all day about the $$ or the years, but the fact is they had the money to do it and I also understand, besides his great production, what it means to have Papi here during this transformation of the team. They have 87M commited next year and no matter what happens to papi, this contract will in no way interfere with anything. This year or next.

They still have about 13-15M to spend this year if they want to. Theres no question they had a plan B, C and D. people who run companies that are worth over a Billion dollars ALWAYS have multipe backup plans. Im sure they knew this and knew their options if it did come to this.

Good points, but the Papi money is not "throw away". It could have been used elsewhere.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Good points, but the Papi money is not "throw away". It could have been used elsewhere.

i understand that and agree with you. but Im not complaining about the signing because all signs pointed to him being Ok per a couple different doctors. Not just the Sox staff.

With the numbers he put up last year, I was ok, if the medical professionals were.

I understand it couldve been used elsewhere, but at the time its was a good signing IMO for many reasons.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

i understand that and agree with you. but Im not complaining about the signing because all signs pointed to him being Ok per a couple different doctors. Not just the Sox staff.

With the numbers he put up last year, I was ok, if the medical professionals were.

I understand it couldve been used elsewhere, but at the time its was a good signing IMO for many reasons.

He wasn't worth this money on the open market, so it's hard to defend it being a "good signing", but there was just no way Papi should not retire in a Sox uniform. He is our true legend and hero. 

I'm Ok with the signing, but wish we had just offered him $14M/1, and if he walked and signed elsewhere, we'd have the draft pick.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

He wasn't worth this money on the open market, so it's hard to defend it being a "good signing", but there was just no way Papi should not retire in a Sox uniform. He is our true legend and hero. 

I'm Ok with the signing, but wish we had just offered him $14M/1, and if he walked and signed elsewhere, we'd have the draft pick.

I dont think he would have got what we offered anywhere else either Moon. Then again, papi was worth more to Boston than other teams, IMO. I think he was overpaid, like a few signings this offseason. But I think signing him was the right move.

But remember, Papi also loses 4M if hes on the DL for more than 20 days due to that injury...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

It was my understanding that there was language in Papi's contract to protect RS in event heel injury prevented Papi from playing?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

• 2 years/$26M (2013-14)
      • re-signed by Boston as a free agent 11/2/12
      • $1M signing bonus
      • 13:$14M, 14:$11M
      • 2014 salary may increase to $13M or $15M based on days on active roster in 2013 ($15M if he spends 20 days or fewer on the disabled list with pre-existing Achilles injury)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

• 2 years/$26M (2013-14)
      • $1M signing bonus
      • 2014 salary may increase to $13M or $15M based on days on active roster in 2013 ($15M if he spends 20 days or fewer on the disabled list with pre-existing Achilles injury)

Guess its better than nothing? But after last yr RS had no choice but to resign Papi. Papi was the one who said he would not settle for another 1yr deal, left RS between a rock and a ........... I also was in favor of signing Papi, if RS did not take care of him what will other players in this town think when it comes time to make a decision between RS or other. I know its a bussiness but sometimes you need to take care of those who have taken care of you and Papi is the best possible example for RS. Great Player-Great Teamate-Great in the Community-Great w/ Media-Great w/ the fans! What else could you ask for from a player? He's earned every cent of that contract IMO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

• 2 years/$26M (2013-14)
      • $1M signing bonus

Guess its better than nothing? But after last yr RS had no choice but to resign Papi. Papi was the one who said he would not settle for another 1yr deal, left RS between a rock and a ........... I also was in favor of signing Papi, if RS did not take care of him what will other players in this town think when it comes time to make a decision between RS or other. I know its a bussiness but sometimes you need to take care of those who have taken care of you and Papi is the best possible example for RS. Great Player-Great Teamate-Great in the Community-Great w/ Media-Great w/ the fans! What else could you ask for from a player? He's earned every cent of that contract IMO.

This is exactly what I meant by hes worth more to the Sox...Thanks for wording it much better than I could. Im much better with talking than with typing :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

* It was a miserable outing for Rubby De La Rosa, who got just two outs in the seventh inning. The 24-year-old right-hander walked four batters and allowed two hits, including a three-run double by Kevin Kouzmanoff

I remember how some pined for this guy and his fastball...well, pine some more, then.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

* It was a miserable outing for Rubby De La Rosa, who got just two outs in the seventh inning. The 24-year-old right-hander walked four batters and allowed two hits, including a three-run double by Kevin Kouzmanoff

I remember how some pined for this guy and his fastball...well, pine some more, then.

Those of us that were aware of his control issues still love his "stuff"...His change is ridiculous. Its his control that has always been anissue as Ive stated numerous times. He tends to overthrow too much as weve seen his last 2 outings...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Those of us that were aware of his control issues still love his "stuff"...His change is ridiculous. Its his control that has always been anissue as Ive stated numerous times. He tends to overthrow too much as weve seen his last 2 outings...

There are several 99 mph guys out there who never harnessed it and that's why so few make it to MLB. Got to throw strikes and got to get outs. Great change, explosive fastball. Daniel Bard, same thing. When he was on, he was lights out, then he went to pieces last year. Got to harness the control.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

There are several 99 mph guys out there who never harnessed it and that's why so few make it to MLB. Got to throw strikes and got to get outs. Great change, explosive fastball. Daniel Bard, same thing. When he was on, he was lights out, then he went to pieces last year. Got to harness the control.

exactly. This is why some think he could be a better closer than starter.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Closers with control issues are too scary for my liking.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

We should have offered Papi a 1 year, qualifying offer at $13 mil. If he turned it down and signed a 2 year deal somewhere else at 2/$20 mil we still would have gotten a pick. Shoulda, coulda, didn't.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

We should have offered Papi a 1 year, qualifying offer at $13 mil. If he turned it down and signed a 2 year deal somewhere else at 2/$20 mil we still would have gotten a pick. Shoulda, coulda, didn't.

It's likely he would have gotten an offer from the Rangers considering the deal they gave Berkman.  Berkman's deal is only one guaranteed year but the second year vests if he reaches 550 PA's, about 135 games.  If it vests Berkman gets 2 years, 22 million.