A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Closers with control issues are too scary for my liking.

One inning is different for some guys with control issues. Usually its because after a few innings they have trouble repeating the delivery or start overthrowing. Some are better suited to "let it fly" for one inning.

Could be, but it's a big gamble to change his game at this point.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Diamondback pitcher Brandon McCarthy has postive words about the leadership skills of Red Sox outfielder Jonny Gomes, his teammate on last year's division-winning Oakland A's:

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/nickpiecoro/2013/03/12/brandon-mccarthy-talks-leadership-analytics-miguel-montero-on-miguel-cabrera-other-stuff/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Diamondback pitcher Brandon McCarthy has postive words about the leadership skills of Red Sox outfielder Jonny Gomes, his teammate on last year's division-winning Oakland A's:

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/nickpiecoro/2013/03/12/brandon-mccarthy-talks-leadership-analytics-miguel-montero-on-miguel-cabrera-other-stuff/

Hopefully he can lead, because he sure can't play defense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Hopefully he can lead, because he sure can't play defense.

Games are now won or lost in the clubhouse; haven't you heard?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

Ok, I'm down in Fort Myers and was at the game against the Twins @ Hammond yesterday. A few observations, although I don't know if I can hold a candle to Jid's excellent posts:

* Ryan Dempster is not going to overwhelm anyone with his stuff, but he seems to be a smart veteran pitcher. I know Farrell said he was working on his secondary pitches yesterday, but I never saw his fastball top 89mph on the twins scoreboard. He would really benefit from the defense of Iglesias and JBJ, as he pitches to contact a lot.

* Daniel Bard looked pretty good after getting himself in an initial jam by putting two on w/ no out. He settled down and threw strikes and was hitting 96. You could see the relief in his shoulders when he got out of that inning without giving anything up. It is easy to root for him.

* Jose Iglesias hit the ball hard all three times up. The double down the line was his only hit, but the other two were hit harder. His 2nd AB was ripped off the pitchers foot and bounced right to an infielder.his 3rd AB he smoked one right at the 3rd basemen. It's easy to see his teammates like him and are pulling for him.

* Mike Napoli needs a lot of stretching work on those hips to get ready to play a game. He hardly threw or ran like all the others, The trainer was working on him for a long time. 

* Middlebrooks three run double was crushed and would've easily been a HR if the wind wasn't blowing in. The ball sounds nice coming off his bat.

* pedroia took time from his pre-game routine to go over and sign for some kids. Only after the game did I read that he was fighting a head cold.

* Jackie Bradley Jr is quickly developing a fan club down here in SW Florida.

Off to the beach and then jet blue tonight for first time. See you there Jid and go sox.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to cassvt2004's comment:

Ok, I'm down in Fort Myers and was at the game against the Twins @ Hammond yesterday. A few observations, although I don't know if I can hold a candle to Jid's excellent posts:

* Ryan Dempster is not going to overwhelm anyone with his stuff, but he seems to be a smart veteran pitcher. I know Farrell said he was working on his secondary pitches yesterday, but I never saw his fastball top 89mph on the twins scoreboard. He would really benefit from the defense of Iglesias and JBJ, as he pitches to contact a lot.

* Daniel Bard looked pretty good after getting himself in an initial jam by putting two on w/ no out. He settled down and threw strikes and was hitting 96. You could see the relief in his shoulders when he got out of that inning without giving anything up. It is easy to root for him.

* Jose Iglesias hit the ball hard all three times up. The double down the line was his only hit, but the other two were hit harder. His 2nd AB was ripped off the pitchers foot and bounced right to an infielder.his 3rd AB he smoked one right at the 3rd basemen. It's easy to see his teammates like him and are pulling for him.

* Mike Napoli needs a lot of stretching work on those hips to get ready to play a game. He hardly threw or ran like all the others, The trainer was working on him for a long time. 

* Middlebrooks three run double was crushed and would've easily been a HR if the wind wasn't blowing in. The ball sounds nice coming off his bat.

* pedroia took time from his pre-game routine to go over and sign for some kids. Only after the game did I read that he was fighting a head cold.

* Jackie Bradley Jr is quickly developing a fan club down here in SW Florida.

Off to the beach and then jet blue tonight for first time. See you there Jid and go sox.

I envy you guys and wish I could join you.

Thanks for the updates.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Cass, look forward to meeting you tonight; I'll be wearing my jimmy fund hat. Spot on with your take on Dempster, nothing flashy but pitches to contact and throws strikes. He also works very fast, which is a trend that is getting contagious this spring. I know it's only spring training, but Doubront's first start is the only game this year at Jet Blue to last three hours.

Also spot on with regard to Iglesias; his average is stuck around .230 but he has made very good contact. He's never going to be a guy who walks much, especially batting ninth, but he's shown an ability to spank the monster, if I can say that on a family website;). He could surprise with lots of doubles this year IF IF IF he gets the chance to play.

I don't know if it's by design or not, but Bard has been used almost exclusively in road games, so I haven't seen much of him. Obviously, if he's close to what he was before the starter experiment, it's a huge lift for the pen.

I'm reading on here today about this afternoon's split squad game featuring Iggy, Bradley, Lavarnway among others and I'm dissappointed that I'm going to have to watch the "regulars" tonight. What does that tell you?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

how has lavarnway looked? think he will be called on to DH a little bit with papi out??

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

how has lavarnway looked? think he will be called on to DH a little bit with papi out??

I think Lava will catch FT in AAA to start the season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

I agree Moon. He's way behind the other catchers defensively and his offensive numbers haven't been good. Like Iggy, his at bats have been better than his numbers. He seems to have power to right and right-center, so he has had his share of 400 plus foot outs. But overall, there are more seasoned, if not more high-ceilinged, candidates for DH in Papi's absense. Aside from reworking the outfield to keep Bradley and use Gomes as the DH, the next most obvious DH candidate to me is Salty, which could keep Lavarnway in the mix until May. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Brentz just homered in his second ST at bat at Sarasota against the O's in a split-squad game. Also Vazquez just made it five-for-five in throwing out basestealers!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

I agree Moon. He's way behind the other catchers defensively and his offensive numbers haven't been good. Like Iggy, his at bats have been better than his numbers. He seems to have power to right and right-center, so he has had his share of 400 plus foot outs. But overall, there are more seasoned, if not more high-ceilinged, candidates for DH in Papi's absense. Aside from reworking the outfield to keep Bradley and use Gomes as the DH, the next most obvious DH candidate to me is Salty, which could keep Lavarnway in the mix until May. 

I see 3 main DH solutions until Papi returns:

We may see Gomes at DH FT (even against RHPs).

Another option might be to use Drew at DH and Iggy at SS.

The 3rd choice is Salty vs RHPs and Lava vs LHPs with Ross catching as much as possible and either Salty or Lava catching when Ross needs a rest.

Perhaps we could see Gomes vs LHPs and Salty vs RHPs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Nice article, Hill...By all accounts, McCarthy is a sharp guy, but most people who've ever been around the game will tell you how important chemistry, attitude, leadership, etc. can be. I don't know if the attitudes of Inge & Gomes added "20 plus wins," but it clearly is important to have guys like this in this era.  I think the '04 and '12 Sox are great examples of how it can go both ways.  The Sox Front Office knew they had to fix the "clubhouse" before anything else not too long after the all-star break last year. It looks like they've done a great job in that respect and there is certainly enough talent to compete if these guys get off to solid start and start believing in each other...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Hey Guys, thanks for the news from Florida.  Here's some FYI from the Bay Area:  First, Jed Lowrie was projected as the utility guy for the A's this spring, however his ST has been so good there is serious discussion, comments by coaches, etc. that points to him being in the starting line-up, probably at 2nd.  Their 2nd basemen are dinged up or not playing well.

On the other side of the Bay, Hector Sanchez is fighting nagging injuries and there is no legitimate 3rd catcher or back-up ready in the minors.  There is some worry in Giants camp about what they are going to do.  IF Ben took my calls, I would suggest exploring a trade where we'd give up a catcher and angle for a solid up and coming prospect in their minors, pitcher, first baseman, power hitter.  Maybe this deal could be expanded...I'm not sure who they plan on using for a closer...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Or an outfielder (from the Giants)?

I am now like Softy, posting under several different names.  My reason is that as the least technical of posters in the universe, I can't figure out how to put my old name on my new Lobster icon...oh well, I like having multiple personalities...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to Critter23's comment:

Hey Guys, thanks for the news from Florida.  Here's some FYI from the Bay Area:  First, Jed Lowrie was projected as the utility guy for the A's this spring, however his ST has been so good there is serious discussion, comments by coaches, etc. that points to him being in the starting line-up, probably at 2nd.  Their 2nd basemen are dinged up or not playing well.

On the other side of the Bay, Hector Sanchez is fighting nagging injuries and there is no legitimate 3rd catcher or back-up ready in the minors.  There is some worry in Giants camp about what they are going to do.  IF Ben took my calls, I would suggest exploring a trade where we'd give up a catcher and angle for a solid up and coming prospect in their minors, pitcher, first baseman, power hitter.  Maybe this deal could be expanded...I'm not sure who they plan on using for a closer...

Lowrie can probably be a solid 2nd baseman for them. I think he will do fine. He played his college ball at Stanford. He probably likes it ther and I bet he is a doubles machine at Oakland!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

If I were managing the USA team in the WBC, I wouldn't play AAA Toledo because if they did, they would probably get smoked. Historic failure and Victorino was right there in the middle of that mix unfortunately. So far he has shown nothing. Has he gotten any hits at all this spring?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

Nice article, Hill...By all accounts, McCarthy is a sharp guy, but most people who've ever been around the game will tell you how important chemistry, attitude, leadership, etc. can be. I don't know if the attitudes of Inge & Gomes added "20 plus wins," but it clearly is important to have guys like this in this era.  I think the '04 and '12 Sox are great examples of how it can go both ways.  The Sox Front Office knew they had to fix the "clubhouse" before anything else not too long after the all-star break last year. It looks like they've done a great job in that respect and there is certainly enough talent to compete if these guys get off to solid start and start believing in each other...

Good chemistry can never hurt, but personally, I think it's a bit overblown. There are so many examples of teams winning with horrible infighting or clubhouse issues.  Plus, when teams win, you rarely hear about issues in the clubhouse, or if you do, they are not overblown by the media. Here's an example, if we had not won in 2004, would the whole O Cabrera hitting on other player's wives been blown up? Would Manny's antics been blamed? Would issues between Tito and players been manufactured? Would fans be blaming over-cockiness or overly relaxed attitudes by the dirtdogs? 

Look, I'm glad our clubhouse seems like it will be more harmonious this season. I can understand management's goal to try and fix some issues or at least the perception of a chaotic clubhouse. Maybe it will have a long-lasting effect on some of our younger players, and these short-term (bridge) deals will work better than I expect them to, both short-term and longterm.

I also think that we as fans do not often get the whole story, so I am always hesitant to read too much into reports of this or that being harmful to team moral or cohesiveness. Take the Lackey antics after a fellow teammate makes an error. This board roasted him alive, but later we hear that the players were not bothered by it, and think the world of John. Supposedly, he had a talk with the players and explained his actions in a way that they believed he was not trying to show them up. Which story is true? I don't know. Was he or is he harmful to team moral going forward? I don't know, and that leads me to think that a lot of this harmony stuff is so speculative that I try to avoid it. I don't blame Beckett one bit for any attitude issues, but some like Geo make it seem like he single-handedly brought about the collapse of 2011, even though he was one of our top 2 players that year.

Can one or a few players cause others to play worse? I think so, but it is so hard to know for sure. I will say that although I am glad we no longer have Beckett at his contractual cost, I still wish he was on our team. I may be the only one who feels that way, but I'll take a pitcher who pitches like an ace every other year than some of the guys we got right now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Tonight's report from the fort...

Well tonight I met cassvt in person at the game. Did you ever have one of those experiences where you placed a face to a name and were totally overwhelmed to find that the real person was so much better looking and so much more than what you expected to meet? Undoubtably, that is what cass is feeling tonight;) Seriously it was great to finally meet one of my on-line friends in person. We left after eight innings so I never got to say goodbye, so goodbye cass, nice meeting you.

Now for the game, a solid 5-0 win against a Twins lineup that you will never see on a major league field. But Doubront was frustratingly good, four scoreless innings, but a couple of walks and numerous three ball counts. The game was just over three hours, and that only has happened one other time here, also when Doubie pitched. Tazawa had two scoreless innings but gave up hits and well-hit balls. Carpenter looked good against the subs for the JV's. Carter closed it out but I did not see him pitch.

The offense looked better, Ells hit the ball hard, Salty had two hits including an over-the-bullpen bomb. The starting lineup listed Ciriaco at short, but Marerro played, had two hits and looked very smooth at short. He's hitting .600! 3-5. The A-ball guys scraped together a two run rally in the bottom of the eighth with Menenses (SP??) hitting a rocket off the wall.

The Twins might just have the frontrunner for rookie-of-the-year in centerfielder Hicks; he is spectacular! He's hit four homers already this spring and came into the game hitting over .400, but his defense is what leaves you breathless.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Thanks again Jid, it is so great to have "one of us" down there reporting on the games!  I especially like the way you report who is doing well and who is scuffling.  Damn, my guy Wright got sent down...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Well tonight I met cassvt in person at the game. Did you ever have one of those experiences where you placed a face to a name and were totally overwhelmed to find that the real person was so much better looking and so much more than what you expected to meet? Undoubtably, that is what cass is feeling tonight;) Seriously it was great to finally meet one of my on-line friends in person. We left after eight innings so I never got to say goodbye, so goodbye cass, nice meeting you.

Now for the game, a solid 5-0 win against a Twins lineup that you will never see on a major league field. But Doubront was frustratingly good, four scoreless innings, but a couple of walks and numerous three ball counts. The game was just over three hours, and that only has happened one other time here, also when Doubie pitched. Tazawa had two scoreless innings but gave up hits and well-hit balls. Carpenter looked good against the subs for the JV's. Carter closed it out but I did not see him pitch.

The offense looked better, Ells hit the ball hard, Salty had two hits including an over-the-bullpen bomb. The starting lineup listed Ciriaco at short, but Marerro played, had two hits and looked very smooth at short. He's hitting .600! 3-5. The A-ball guys scraped together a two run rally in the bottom of the eighth with Menenses (SP??) hitting a rocket off the wall.

The Twins might just have the frontrunner for rookie-of-the-year in centerfielder Hicks; he is spectacular! He's hit four homers already this spring and came into the game hitting over .400, but his defense is what leaves you breathless.

I saw Hicks, he had some great moves out there! that over the shoulder catch where he robbed Napoli (i think) of an XBH was beautiful. Had a great jump, flew to the ball and snatched it. Very Jacoby-esque

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

Good chemistry can never hurt, but personally, I think it's a bit overblown. There are so many examples of teams winning with horrible infighting or clubhouse issues.  Plus, when teams win, you rarely hear about issues in the clubhouse, or if you do, they are not overblown by the media. Here's an example, if we had not won in 2004, would the whole O Cabrera hitting on other player's wives been blown up? Would Manny's antics been blamed? Would issues between Tito and players been manufactured? Would fans be blaming over-cockiness or overly relaxed attitudes by the dirtdogs? 

Cabrera did what he did with Foulke's wife after the World Series was over.  The parties were pretty crazy, so it had no effect on the season.  Manny is a different animal altogether.  You could make a case he was the greatest right handed hitter of all time.  Players dealt with him, because of his talent, and he could be in a good mood at times.  I've heard lots of stories about the guy.  Read Tito's book if you don't believe me.  At one point, Tito was going to snap and Ortiz said, "let me talk to him tonight first."  The next morning, Ortiz said, "F him."  They were never close.  Other players just said, "Bat him 3rd."  They took the vote before the Dodgers trade, and it was 23 to 1.  They had enough.  Yogi Berra was right when he said the game was "90% mental."  I'll agree to disagree, I've just heard too many stories.  You cite the 70's A's & Yankees, but they had leadership, managers who instilled some fear, and when they stepped on the field, they "knew" they were the best team.  It was different then.

Look, I'm glad our clubhouse seems like it will be more harmonious this season. I can understand management's goal to try and fix some issues or at least the perception of a chaotic clubhouse. Maybe it will have a long-lasting effect on some of our younger players, and these short-term (bridge) deals will work better than I expect them to, both short-term and longterm.

It's not about "harmony."  It's about being loose and guys pulling for each other.  Did you read what McCarthy said about Gomes?  Someone who covers the Sox for ESPN told me that the 2012 Sox "clubhouse" was the worst he has seen in 20 years of covering 4 sports.  That's a pretty bold statement.

I also think that we as fans do not often get the whole story, so I am always hesitant to read too much into reports of this or that being harmful to team moral or cohesiveness. Take the Lackey antics after a fellow teammate makes an error. This board roasted him alive, but later we hear that the players were not bothered by it, and think the world of John. Supposedly, he had a talk with the players and explained his actions in a way that they believed he was not trying to show them up. Which story is true? I don't know. Was he or is he harmful to team moral going forward? I don't know, and that leads me to think that a lot of this harmony stuff is so speculative that I try to avoid it. I don't blame Beckett one bit for any attitude issues, but some like Geo make it seem like he single-handedly brought about the collapse of 2011, even though he was one of our top 2 players that year.

Beckett commanded respect and he influenced bad habits, period.  I'm not going to argue that point.  Lackey's teammates love him because he cares, wants to win and always apologizes for his emotion.  Pedey wasn't thrilled with it initially, but now he gets it.  His teammates love the guy.  I don't blame Beckett for 2011 at all, but when someone who covers the Sox calls him the "most despicable human being" he's ever met, it tells you something. 

Can one or a few players cause others to play worse? I think so, but it is so hard to know for sure. I will say that although I am glad we no longer have Beckett at his contractual cost, I still wish he was on our team. I may be the only one who feels that way, but I'll take a pitcher who pitches like an ace every other year than some of the guys we got right now.

They would have traded Beckett this winter for nothing and ate his contract.  It was that bad...We obviously disagree on the chemistry thing, but I would love to have you sit down with someone who has been around it. I heard Schilling say to Kruk at the winter meetings, "The only thing that guy cares about is his f.... batting average.  I can't believe they made that trade."  Not sure who he was talking about, but I could guess.  We'll see what happens, but if this team stays healthy and gets off to a good start, they might have the right guys in the clubhouse to help avoid those long losing streaks.  They may surprise you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I I hope he can keep it up for a full year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I I hope he can keep it up for a full year.

who? doobie, Taz, Ells or salty??

or all of the above?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

For what it's worth, Aaron Hicks, who has never played above the Double A level, is only six-and-a-half months older than Jackie Bradley.

Last year Hicks posted a .286/.384/.460/.844 line in 563 plate appearances in the Double A Eastern League while Bradley posted a .271/.373/.437/.809 line in 271 plate appearances in the same league (and a .315/.430/.482/.911 line in a combined 575 plate appearances between High A and Double A).

Sections
Shortcuts