A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to hill55's comment:

Diamondback pitcher Brandon McCarthy has postive words about the leadership skills of Red Sox outfielder Jonny Gomes, his teammate on last year's division-winning Oakland A's:

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/nickpiecoro/2013/03/12/brandon-mccarthy-talks-leadership-analytics-miguel-montero-on-miguel-cabrera-other-stuff/

Nice article, Hill...By all accounts, McCarthy is a sharp guy, but most people who've ever been around the game will tell you how important chemistry, attitude, leadership, etc. can be. I don't know if the attitudes of Inge & Gomes added "20 plus wins," but it clearly is important to have guys like this in this era.  I think the '04 and '12 Sox are great examples of how it can go both ways.  The Sox Front Office knew they had to fix the "clubhouse" before anything else not too long after the all-star break last year. It looks like they've done a great job in that respect and there is certainly enough talent to compete if these guys get off to solid start and start believing in each other...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Hey Guys, thanks for the news from Florida.  Here's some FYI from the Bay Area:  First, Jed Lowrie was projected as the utility guy for the A's this spring, however his ST has been so good there is serious discussion, comments by coaches, etc. that points to him being in the starting line-up, probably at 2nd.  Their 2nd basemen are dinged up or not playing well.

On the other side of the Bay, Hector Sanchez is fighting nagging injuries and there is no legitimate 3rd catcher or back-up ready in the minors.  There is some worry in Giants camp about what they are going to do.  IF Ben took my calls, I would suggest exploring a trade where we'd give up a catcher and angle for a solid up and coming prospect in their minors, pitcher, first baseman, power hitter.  Maybe this deal could be expanded...I'm not sure who they plan on using for a closer...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Or an outfielder (from the Giants)?

I am now like Softy, posting under several different names.  My reason is that as the least technical of posters in the universe, I can't figure out how to put my old name on my new Lobster icon...oh well, I like having multiple personalities...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to Critter23's comment:

Hey Guys, thanks for the news from Florida.  Here's some FYI from the Bay Area:  First, Jed Lowrie was projected as the utility guy for the A's this spring, however his ST has been so good there is serious discussion, comments by coaches, etc. that points to him being in the starting line-up, probably at 2nd.  Their 2nd basemen are dinged up or not playing well.

On the other side of the Bay, Hector Sanchez is fighting nagging injuries and there is no legitimate 3rd catcher or back-up ready in the minors.  There is some worry in Giants camp about what they are going to do.  IF Ben took my calls, I would suggest exploring a trade where we'd give up a catcher and angle for a solid up and coming prospect in their minors, pitcher, first baseman, power hitter.  Maybe this deal could be expanded...I'm not sure who they plan on using for a closer...

Lowrie can probably be a solid 2nd baseman for them. I think he will do fine. He played his college ball at Stanford. He probably likes it ther and I bet he is a doubles machine at Oakland!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

If I were managing the USA team in the WBC, I wouldn't play AAA Toledo because if they did, they would probably get smoked. Historic failure and Victorino was right there in the middle of that mix unfortunately. So far he has shown nothing. Has he gotten any hits at all this spring?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

Diamondback pitcher Brandon McCarthy has postive words about the leadership skills of Red Sox outfielder Jonny Gomes, his teammate on last year's division-winning Oakland A's:

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/nickpiecoro/2013/03/12/brandon-mccarthy-talks-leadership-analytics-miguel-montero-on-miguel-cabrera-other-stuff/

Nice article, Hill...By all accounts, McCarthy is a sharp guy, but most people who've ever been around the game will tell you how important chemistry, attitude, leadership, etc. can be. I don't know if the attitudes of Inge & Gomes added "20 plus wins," but it clearly is important to have guys like this in this era.  I think the '04 and '12 Sox are great examples of how it can go both ways.  The Sox Front Office knew they had to fix the "clubhouse" before anything else not too long after the all-star break last year. It looks like they've done a great job in that respect and there is certainly enough talent to compete if these guys get off to solid start and start believing in each other...

Good chemistry can never hurt, but personally, I think it's a bit overblown. There are so many examples of teams winning with horrible infighting or clubhouse issues.  Plus, when teams win, you rarely hear about issues in the clubhouse, or if you do, they are not overblown by the media. Here's an example, if we had not won in 2004, would the whole O Cabrera hitting on other player's wives been blown up? Would Manny's antics been blamed? Would issues between Tito and players been manufactured? Would fans be blaming over-cockiness or overly relaxed attitudes by the dirtdogs? 

Look, I'm glad our clubhouse seems like it will be more harmonious this season. I can understand management's goal to try and fix some issues or at least the perception of a chaotic clubhouse. Maybe it will have a long-lasting effect on some of our younger players, and these short-term (bridge) deals will work better than I expect them to, both short-term and longterm.

I also think that we as fans do not often get the whole story, so I am always hesitant to read too much into reports of this or that being harmful to team moral or cohesiveness. Take the Lackey antics after a fellow teammate makes an error. This board roasted him alive, but later we hear that the players were not bothered by it, and think the world of John. Supposedly, he had a talk with the players and explained his actions in a way that they believed he was not trying to show them up. Which story is true? I don't know. Was he or is he harmful to team moral going forward? I don't know, and that leads me to think that a lot of this harmony stuff is so speculative that I try to avoid it. I don't blame Beckett one bit for any attitude issues, but some like Geo make it seem like he single-handedly brought about the collapse of 2011, even though he was one of our top 2 players that year.

Can one or a few players cause others to play worse? I think so, but it is so hard to know for sure. I will say that although I am glad we no longer have Beckett at his contractual cost, I still wish he was on our team. I may be the only one who feels that way, but I'll take a pitcher who pitches like an ace every other year than some of the guys we got right now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Tonight's report from the fort...

Well tonight I met cassvt in person at the game. Did you ever have one of those experiences where you placed a face to a name and were totally overwhelmed to find that the real person was so much better looking and so much more than what you expected to meet? Undoubtably, that is what cass is feeling tonight;) Seriously it was great to finally meet one of my on-line friends in person. We left after eight innings so I never got to say goodbye, so goodbye cass, nice meeting you.

Now for the game, a solid 5-0 win against a Twins lineup that you will never see on a major league field. But Doubront was frustratingly good, four scoreless innings, but a couple of walks and numerous three ball counts. The game was just over three hours, and that only has happened one other time here, also when Doubie pitched. Tazawa had two scoreless innings but gave up hits and well-hit balls. Carpenter looked good against the subs for the JV's. Carter closed it out but I did not see him pitch.

The offense looked better, Ells hit the ball hard, Salty had two hits including an over-the-bullpen bomb. The starting lineup listed Ciriaco at short, but Marerro played, had two hits and looked very smooth at short. He's hitting .600! 3-5. The A-ball guys scraped together a two run rally in the bottom of the eighth with Menenses (SP??) hitting a rocket off the wall.

The Twins might just have the frontrunner for rookie-of-the-year in centerfielder Hicks; he is spectacular! He's hit four homers already this spring and came into the game hitting over .400, but his defense is what leaves you breathless.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Thanks again Jid, it is so great to have "one of us" down there reporting on the games!  I especially like the way you report who is doing well and who is scuffling.  Damn, my guy Wright got sent down...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Well tonight I met cassvt in person at the game. Did you ever have one of those experiences where you placed a face to a name and were totally overwhelmed to find that the real person was so much better looking and so much more than what you expected to meet? Undoubtably, that is what cass is feeling tonight;) Seriously it was great to finally meet one of my on-line friends in person. We left after eight innings so I never got to say goodbye, so goodbye cass, nice meeting you.

Now for the game, a solid 5-0 win against a Twins lineup that you will never see on a major league field. But Doubront was frustratingly good, four scoreless innings, but a couple of walks and numerous three ball counts. The game was just over three hours, and that only has happened one other time here, also when Doubie pitched. Tazawa had two scoreless innings but gave up hits and well-hit balls. Carpenter looked good against the subs for the JV's. Carter closed it out but I did not see him pitch.

The offense looked better, Ells hit the ball hard, Salty had two hits including an over-the-bullpen bomb. The starting lineup listed Ciriaco at short, but Marerro played, had two hits and looked very smooth at short. He's hitting .600! 3-5. The A-ball guys scraped together a two run rally in the bottom of the eighth with Menenses (SP??) hitting a rocket off the wall.

The Twins might just have the frontrunner for rookie-of-the-year in centerfielder Hicks; he is spectacular! He's hit four homers already this spring and came into the game hitting over .400, but his defense is what leaves you breathless.

I saw Hicks, he had some great moves out there! that over the shoulder catch where he robbed Napoli (i think) of an XBH was beautiful. Had a great jump, flew to the ball and snatched it. Very Jacoby-esque

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Good chemistry can never hurt, but personally, I think it's a bit overblown. There are so many examples of teams winning with horrible infighting or clubhouse issues.  Plus, when teams win, you rarely hear about issues in the clubhouse, or if you do, they are not overblown by the media. Here's an example, if we had not won in 2004, would the whole O Cabrera hitting on other player's wives been blown up? Would Manny's antics been blamed? Would issues between Tito and players been manufactured? Would fans be blaming over-cockiness or overly relaxed attitudes by the dirtdogs? 

Cabrera did what he did with Foulke's wife after the World Series was over.  The parties were pretty crazy, so it had no effect on the season.  Manny is a different animal altogether.  You could make a case he was the greatest right handed hitter of all time.  Players dealt with him, because of his talent, and he could be in a good mood at times.  I've heard lots of stories about the guy.  Read Tito's book if you don't believe me.  At one point, Tito was going to snap and Ortiz said, "let me talk to him tonight first."  The next morning, Ortiz said, "F him."  They were never close.  Other players just said, "Bat him 3rd."  They took the vote before the Dodgers trade, and it was 23 to 1.  They had enough.  Yogi Berra was right when he said the game was "90% mental."  I'll agree to disagree, I've just heard too many stories.  You cite the 70's A's & Yankees, but they had leadership, managers who instilled some fear, and when they stepped on the field, they "knew" they were the best team.  It was different then.

Look, I'm glad our clubhouse seems like it will be more harmonious this season. I can understand management's goal to try and fix some issues or at least the perception of a chaotic clubhouse. Maybe it will have a long-lasting effect on some of our younger players, and these short-term (bridge) deals will work better than I expect them to, both short-term and longterm.

It's not about "harmony."  It's about being loose and guys pulling for each other.  Did you read what McCarthy said about Gomes?  Someone who covers the Sox for ESPN told me that the 2012 Sox "clubhouse" was the worst he has seen in 20 years of covering 4 sports.  That's a pretty bold statement.

I also think that we as fans do not often get the whole story, so I am always hesitant to read too much into reports of this or that being harmful to team moral or cohesiveness. Take the Lackey antics after a fellow teammate makes an error. This board roasted him alive, but later we hear that the players were not bothered by it, and think the world of John. Supposedly, he had a talk with the players and explained his actions in a way that they believed he was not trying to show them up. Which story is true? I don't know. Was he or is he harmful to team moral going forward? I don't know, and that leads me to think that a lot of this harmony stuff is so speculative that I try to avoid it. I don't blame Beckett one bit for any attitude issues, but some like Geo make it seem like he single-handedly brought about the collapse of 2011, even though he was one of our top 2 players that year.

Beckett commanded respect and he influenced bad habits, period.  I'm not going to argue that point.  Lackey's teammates love him because he cares, wants to win and always apologizes for his emotion.  Pedey wasn't thrilled with it initially, but now he gets it.  His teammates love the guy.  I don't blame Beckett for 2011 at all, but when someone who covers the Sox calls him the "most despicable human being" he's ever met, it tells you something. 

Can one or a few players cause others to play worse? I think so, but it is so hard to know for sure. I will say that although I am glad we no longer have Beckett at his contractual cost, I still wish he was on our team. I may be the only one who feels that way, but I'll take a pitcher who pitches like an ace every other year than some of the guys we got right now.

They would have traded Beckett this winter for nothing and ate his contract.  It was that bad...We obviously disagree on the chemistry thing, but I would love to have you sit down with someone who has been around it. I heard Schilling say to Kruk at the winter meetings, "The only thing that guy cares about is his f.... batting average.  I can't believe they made that trade."  Not sure who he was talking about, but I could guess.  We'll see what happens, but if this team stays healthy and gets off to a good start, they might have the right guys in the clubhouse to help avoid those long losing streaks.  They may surprise you.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I I hope he can keep it up for a full year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I I hope he can keep it up for a full year.

who? doobie, Taz, Ells or salty??

or all of the above?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

For what it's worth, Aaron Hicks, who has never played above the Double A level, is only six-and-a-half months older than Jackie Bradley.

Last year Hicks posted a .286/.384/.460/.844 line in 563 plate appearances in the Double A Eastern League while Bradley posted a .271/.373/.437/.809 line in 271 plate appearances in the same league (and a .315/.430/.482/.911 line in a combined 575 plate appearances between High A and Double A).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Cabrera did what he did with Foulke's wife after the World Series was over.  The parties were pretty crazy, so it had no effect on the season.  Manny is a different animal altogether.  You could make a case he was the greatest right handed hitter of all time.  Players dealt with him, because of his talent, and he could be in a good mood at times.  I've heard lots of stories about the guy.  Read Tito's book if you don't believe me.  At one point, Tito was going to snap and Ortiz said, "let me talk to him tonight first."  The next morning, Ortiz said, "F him."  They were never close.  Other players just said, "Bat him 3rd."  They took the vote before the Dodgers trade, and it was 23 to 1.  They had enough.  Yogi Berra was right when he said the game was "90% mental."  I'll agree to disagree, I've just heard too many stories.  You cite the 70's A's & Yankees, but they had leadership, managers who instilled some fear, and when they stepped on the field, they "knew" they were the best team.  It was different then.

It's not about "harmony."  It's about being loose and guys pulling for each other.  Did you read what McCarthy said about Gomes?  Someone who covers the Sox for ESPN told me that the 2012 Sox "clubhouse" was the worst he has seen in 20 years of covering 4 sports.  That's a pretty bold statement.

Beckett commanded respect and he influenced bad habits, period.  I'm not going to argue that point.  Lackey's teammates love him because he cares, wants to win and always apologizes for his emotion.  Pedey wasn't thrilled with it initially, but now he gets it.  His teammates love the guy.  I don't blame Beckett for 2011 at all, but when someone who covers the Sox calls him the "most despicable human being" he's ever met, it tells you something. 

They would have traded Beckett this winter for nothing and ate his contract.  It was that bad...We obviously disagree on the chemistry thing, but I would love to have you sit down with someone who has been around it. I heard Schilling say to Kruk at the winter meetings, "The only thing that guy cares about is his f.... batting average.  I can't believe they made that trade."  Not sure who he was talking about, but I could guess.  We'll see what happens, but if this team stays healthy and gets off to a good start, they might have the right guys in the clubhouse to help avoid those long losing streaks.  They may surprise you.

Nice, well thought out reply Jasko. Lots of good points.

The Sox have a long history of accepting poor behavior as long as you keep producing. The superstars have always had a different standard, and that's not something only the Sox follow. To me, it's not so much the poor behavior that causes losing as it is the losing creates a frenzied media that seeks out, at times invents, and then overhypes the events and importance of a few incidents as evidence that the losing years had much worse chemistry than the winning ones. When a team wins, fans and the media can laugh at the silliness, immaturity, infighting or whatever. It doesn't need to be explained away. However, when a team with high expectations loses, our society is geared towards finding a scapegoat and accessing blame, usually on only a select few. Yeah, the guys with the poor attitudes or the ones who rub the media the wrong way seem to be the first ones put under the microscope.

Beckett was a proven winner when he came here. Yes, there were rumblings about clubhouse issues with the Marlins, but everyone loved him after his heroic efforts in 2007. He was a great influence on everyone back then. I remember hearing how he "made Lester and Buch better", then when things went south after Manny left (actually a bit before he left), all of a sudden, he's a bad influence on nearly everyone. I'm not saying he was or he wasn't, but the guy pitched better than all but maybe Lester after 2007. Like him or not, he was our #1 or 2 starter after 2007. We don't even get close in 2009 or 2011 without Beckett. Of course, we didn't get close in 2010 or 2012 partially because Beckett was hurt or pitching poorly, but hius record remains what it is: a plus even after 2007 and a huge plus over his whole time with the Sox.

Just a heads up. If we do poorly this year, watch all the reports on some clubhouse cancer or infighting being the cause of our failure. The blame game is a big part of today's culture, and seems to be magnified in the Boston area, perhaps due to rabid fans and a "gotcha" media.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

For what it's worth, Aaron Hicks, who has never played above the Double A level, is only six-and-a-half months older than Jackie Bradley.

Last year Hicks posted a .286/.384/.460/.844 line in 563 plate appearances in the Double A Eastern League while Bradley posted a .271/.373/.437/.809 line in 271 plate appearances in the same league (and a .315/.430/.482/.911 line in a combined 575 plate appearances between High A and Double A).

...and will he play with the big club this year?

Why? Cause they're out of it?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I hope he can keep it up for a full year.

or all of the above?

All of the above, but I feel like I owe Salty a little after bashing him all 2011 and begging to trade him last winter. His improvement last season was remarkable and remarkably missed by many Sox fans.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

or all of the above?

All of the above, but I feel like I owe Salty a little after bashing him all 2011 and begging to trade him last winter. His improvement last season was remarkable and remarkably missed by many Sox fans.

well moon, you were one of the Few that really brought his improvments to light. In turn, that made others aware of his improvement and overall, he is liked my many true RS fans on this forum. So i don't think you "owe" him anything.

I really think he has a future with this team. He has a drive to get better and like all catchers, the more innings he logs behind the plate and the more he works with our pitching staff the better he will become defensively. Now if we can just get him to work on his plate discipline and increase that dreadful OBP we'll have an allstar in the making :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

or all of the above?

well moon, you were one of the Few that really brought his improvments to light. In turn, that made others aware of his improvement and overall, he is liked my many true RS fans on this forum. So i don't think you "owe" him anything.

I really think he has a future with this team. He has a drive to get better and like all catchers, the more innings he logs behind the plate and the more he works with our pitching staff the better he will become defensively. Now if we can just get him to work on his plate discipline and increase that dreadful OBP we'll have an allstar in the making :)

It would be nice (OBP improvement), but I'm hoping for further CERA-related improvement, proving stamina and durability, and maybe a higher CS%. I'm Ok with 25 HRs in 500 PAs and a .295 OBP (a slight uptick). I think he can get to .310 or higher eventually, but he may be spending most of his time working on other areas.

I'm expecting an overall improved year for Salty, and I think he will get a big payday next winter. It worries me that the better he does in 2013, perhaps the less likely he returns here in 2014.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

or all of the above?

It would be nice (OBP improvement), but I'm hoping for further CERA-related improvement, proving stamina and durability, and maybe a higher CS%. I'm Ok with 25 HRs in 500 PAs and a .295 OBP (a slight uptick). I think he can get to .310 or higher eventually, but he may be spending most of his time working on other areas.

I'm expecting an overall improved year for Salty, and I think he will get a big payday next winter. It worries me that the better he does in 2013, perhaps the less likely he returns here in 2014.

you might have cause for concern, but we never know what's going on behind closed doors... but from the outside looking in, the sox believed in Salty when no one else really did and we stuck it out with the dude. He is well liked by RSN and i think that's gotta count for something. Say what you will about players being loyal only to the highest bidder but i think things like that have got to weigh heavily on a passionate player like salty when/if he hits FA.

i mean, why uproot and go to a new city, showcase yourself to a new fanbase, work with a completely new staff when you have a comprable offer from your current team (assuming the sox don't emulate the Patriots and lowball hometown dudes just to save a buck.). Of course, we won't know until the situation presents itself.. IF he even gets to FA.

If salty is playing well through 3 months i think BC hammers out a fair extension to keep him around for at least 3 years. and IMO, i would think salty would sign it as opposed to hitting FA (the operative word being FAIR).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If salty is playing well through 3 months i think BC hammers out a fair extension to keep him around for at least 3 years. and IMO, i would think salty would sign it as opposed to hitting FA (the operative word being FAIR).

Sounds like the most likely result to me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

My guy Lavarnway is killing me. Is he a AAAA player? He needs to start hitting or he will soon be relegated to that status.

I still can't give Salty a break. Let's see how he does in August before we decide to extend him ok. 

At some point we will find a winning catcher again. Let's hope soon.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I don't think it's remarkable that Salty's improvement with handling the pitching, assuming that there was one, was missed by fans.  For one thing, the starting rotation ended up with a 5.19 ERA, worst in franchise history.  Secondly, here is the team ERA by month:

Apr 5.54

May 3.93

June 3.31

July 4.57

Aug 5.61

Sept 5.51

So things got better in mid-season, then fell apart completely again.  You can't expect fans to be knocked out by Salty's improvement in the face of numbers like that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

I freely admit it is still only ST numbers, but have you all noticed the pitching staff's results ?

Specifically the starters ? Lester, Buch, Dempster and lately Doubront all look GREAT. Lackey seriously struggling , no surprise IMO, but perhaps Webster comes up in late May to replace him.

Assuming of course that he exhibits the consistency with control in AAA that he's demonstrated in Florida , he looks potentially like a M.L. starter to me.

With all the questions regarding Sox' offense ( Ortiz out, Vic not hitting, ss position, etc.) at least the rotation appears ready to carry the team.

I still think 2013 can be Doubront's serious breakout year , and am cautiously optimistic about Lester & Buchholz. Whether it's Pedro's influence or Nieves / Farrell combo, not sure. But I LIKE it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

I freely admit it is still only ST numbers, but have you all noticed the pitching staff's results ?

Specifically the starters ? Lester, Buch, Dempster and lately Doubront all look GREAT. Lackey seriously struggling , no surprise IMO, but perhaps Webster comes up in late May to replace him.

Assuming of course that he exhibits the consistency with control in AAA that he's demonstrated in Florida , he looks potentially like a M.L. starter to me.

With all the questions regarding Sox' offense ( Ortiz out, Vic not hitting, ss position, etc.) at least the rotation appears ready to carry the team.

I still think 2013 can be Doubront's serious breakout year , and am cautiously optimistic about Lester & Buchholz. Whether it's Pedro's influence or Nieves / Farrell combo, not sure. But I LIKE it.

Yes, very encouraging so far.  You do get the sense that the coaching changes have made a difference.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I don't think it's remarkable that Salty's improvement with handling the pitching, assuming that there was one, was missed by fans.  For one thing, the starting rotation ended up with a 5.19 ERA, worst in franchise history.  Secondly, here is the team ERA by month:

Apr 5.54

May 3.93

June 3.31

July 4.57

Aug 5.61

Sept 5.51

So things got better in mid-season, then fell apart completely again.  You can't expect fans to be knocked out by Salty's improvement in the face of numbers like that.

Is Salty pitching now? It remains absurd to say that the catcher has anything but a minimal effect on team ERA. That has NEVER been proven to be true. If you have a bunch of stiffs as starting pitchers, as we had last year and have this year, inserting someone who "calls a good game" is not going to significantly change the team ERA, and if you have a group of aces as SPs, inserting a catcher who "doesn't handle pitchers well" is not going to significantly degrade their ERA. There may be some very slight effect, but not much.

Sections
Shortcuts