A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

Jid, I got that idea of "apathetic" from your reports; that is hard for me to understand.  What baseball player doesn't want to hit?  It's so hard for me to understand that I'm wondering if he's got some nagging minor injury, strain, bruise...???  (Have you got anyone in the clubhouse who can find out?)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

pumpie and those cute 10 year old nick names.

Growing up is hard to do...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to Critter23's comment:

Jid, I got that idea of "apathetic" from your reports; that is hard for me to understand.  What baseball player doesn't want to hit?  It's so hard for me to understand that I'm wondering if he's got some nagging minor injury, strain, bruise...???  (Have you got anyone in the clubhouse who can find out?)

He's moving perfectly well, running out his groundouts and preventing them from being double-plays in some cases. He's certainly not being selective, swinging at first or second pitch most at bats, and when he does swing he's just rolling the ball over to the right side. About a week ago he had two hits in a game, both line drives to left. That's the way I would prefer to see him swing as I'm not seeing any evidence of the 30 homer power he showed two years ago. I blame it on the ennui of spring training and that is your word of the day!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to jidgef's comment:

Plus they are BEST in team ERA and in the middle of the pack in runs scored. Maybe a different kind of Red Sox team?

They will not finish the season with the best ERA in the AL. They will be lucky to finish in the middle of the pack. Last year they were 12th in the AL in ERA and didn't even have Lackey to make it worse. This year we have both Lackey AND Dumpster. I suspect we will be somewhere around 9th or 10th in ERA in the AL.

While I agree our staff will not likely be top 7 in the AL, and our rotation top 9, I do think that Lackey and Dempster can improve on these 60 games started:

21 Beckett  5-11  5.23  (Team: 7-14)

18 A Cook   4-11  5.65  (5-13)

11 Dice-K    1-7   8.28   (4-7)

10 D Bard   4-6    5.30   (4-6)

Total Team Record in these 60 starts: 20-40.

Even during Lackey's horrible 2011 season, the team went 14-14 after going 16-17 in 2010.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I blame it on the ennui of spring training and that is your word of the day!

softy will claim it's because AGon is no longer 2-3 batters down from him in the line-up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Plus they are BEST in team ERA and in the middle of the pack in runs scored. Maybe a different kind of Red Sox team?

They will not finish the season with the best ERA in the AL. They will be lucky to finish in the middle of the pack. Last year they were 12th in the AL in ERA and didn't even have Lackey to make it worse. This year we have both Lackey AND Dumpster. I suspect we will be somewhere around 9th or 10th in ERA in the AL.

While I agree our staff will not likely be top 7 in the AL, and our rotation top 9, I do think that Lackey and Dempster can improve on these 60 games started:

Even during Lackey's horrible 2011 season, the team went 14-14 after going 16-17 in 2010.

I assume you mean DURING HIS STARTS the team went 14-14 in 2011. You know how nearly meaningless the W-L record is for a pitcher, right? And if you look at the two best pitchers to compare Dumpster and Lackey with, Beckett and Bard, they had ERAs of 5.23/5.30. I think these are not unreasonable numbers for Dumpster and Lackey to achieve this year. You can compare the numbers for Cook and DiceK to our 2013 #6 and #7 SP later. We will be near the bottom of the pack in team ERA again this year.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I assume you mean DURING HIS STARTS the team went 14-14 in 2011. You know how nearly meaningless the W-L record is for a pitcher, right? And if you look at the two best pitchers to compare Dumpster and Lackey with, Beckett and Bard, they had ERAs of 5.23/5.30. I think these are not unreasonable numbers for Dumpster and Lackey to achieve this year. You can compare the numbers for Cook and DiceK to our 2013 #6 and #7 SP later. We will be near the bottom of the pack in team ERA again this year.

Yes, I clearly said "the team went 20-40". And, yes, I do think those numbers matter more than the starters record, anyways. I will not argue with anyone projecting 5.30 to 5.60 from Lackey and/or Dempster, but I do feel they can do better, even much better.

The fact is, if Lackey and Dempster give us 60 starts, they are, in a sense, replacing the 4 starters I listed.

I do think that Morales, Tazawa, Mortensen & Webster will do better than our #6-10 starters last year, but I do agree with you: we will be near the bottom of the pack in team ERA again this year- maybe not bottom 3, but probably bottom  6 or 7.  Our starting rotation will probably be bottom 4-6.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Yes, I clearly said "the team went 20-40". And, yes, I do think those numbers matter more than the starters record, anyways. I will not argue with anyone projecting 5.30 to 5.60 from Lackey and/or Dempster, but I do feel they can do better, even much better.

The fact is, if Lackey and Dempster give us 60 starts, they are, in a sense, replacing the 4 starters I listed.

I do think that Morales, Tazawa, Mortensen & Webster will do better than our #6-10 starters last year, but I do agree with you: we will be near the bottom of the pack in team ERA again this year- maybe not bottom 3, but probably bottom  6 or 7.  Our starting rotation will probably be bottom 4-6.

Seriously, I do expect Lackey has a decent shot at an ERA around 4.50, but Dempster, I have no faith in him in the ALE at all. Lester is almost certain to improve a bit, and if Buchholtz stays healthy he can pitch very well. Your assessment of our overall pitching is reasonable and should result in a marked improvement. Its hard to fathom how some people expect more than a 13 game improvement to .500 ball or maybe slightly higher. Thats a huge improvement for a team to make, a very big jump. To expect more is unrealistic.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I think the Redsox starters will be top 10 this year!

....and it's because Salty's CERA will become so freaking off the charts great!

...maybe I should capitalize and embolden everything so everyone will know I'm just channeling Bill!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Seriously though, this team has a good chance to have solid pitching this year. I've been saying that since before spring training began and I'm sticking with it. I think they have a good chance to be decent if they can stay healthy. I'm not surprised at all with Buchholz'spring performance and although Lester has been better than expected that was not out of the realm of possibility. Lackey is finally healthy for maybe the first time in 3-4 years. Dempster can be a mlb league average guy and maybe Doubront emerges to be part of a normal progression for a young starter. None of this is all that surprising.

And I like our deep depth more than last year. De La Rosa and Webster could emerge in the 2nd half. Maybe even Ranaudo and Barnes could help a little by year end. Morales might be of significant help before we are done and the pen looks solid. Strong and deep. The key probably is the health of our starters though, as it is most years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Whoops, didn't mean to use that ID. I'm gone again.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Seriously, I do expect Lackey has a decent shot at an ERA around 4.50, but Dempster, I have no faith in him in the ALE at all. Lester is almost certain to improve a bit, and if Buchholtz stays healthy he can pitch very well. Your assessment of our overall pitching is reasonable and should result in a marked improvement. Its hard to fathom how some people expect more than a 13 game improvement to .500 ball or maybe slightly higher. Thats a huge improvement for a team to make, a very big jump. To expect more is unrealistic.

I can see the point about more things going right than what happened in 2012.

Ellsbury repeats his 2011 numbers.

Middlebrooks repeats or improves on 2012, but for a full season.

Papi plays more games than in 2012.

Lester and Buch return to earlier form and stay healthy.

The added role players play as they have in their best recent season.

Lots of ifs. Too many ifs for me to get jacked up on, but it could happen.

More likely, our staff improves some, our offense improves some, but you are right, a 13-15 game improvement is about as reasonable as it can get for me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Boomerangsdotcom's comment:

I think the Redsox starters will be top 10 this year!

Top 10 in the AL?

....and it's because Salty's CERA will become so freaking off the charts great!

You're jiving!

...maybe I should capitalize and embolden everything so everyone will know I'm just channeling Bill!

BILL is channeled enough already.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

To me, anything is possible in the AL East this year. A couple key injuries and TB is toast. NYY already have a lot of big injuries and if they lose even one or 2 of their starters for an extended period they may be out. It is tough to keep expecting their starters to be as good as they have been although Sabthia and Kuroda sure look real to me. I just can't go there with Toronto...something will happen and no way Baltimore is as good as they have been looking at least this year but they are certainly improving. I think with a little luck and a few guys stepping up we have a real chance. I don't expect anything from PApi this year though. If we get a good year from him I think we make the playoffs. The pitching is going to be much better than expected and we have some players who should produce some runs also. We don't have to be perfect. We just have to get to 90 wins.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Farrell is wondering who is going to bat 2nd against RH pitching ( assuming Pedroia bats 3rd ) and JBJ is setting there with a .545 OBP in spring traing so far in 45 AB. 

Duh!

I mean it is getting silly guys. The kid is hitting .444 with 8 walks so far. The kid has tremendous on base skill. I know it's a small sample size but he got on base like crazy last year also. For a while there even late in the year he was leading the minors in OBP.

He is looking like the Greek God of OBP!

And we have always been good at mythology!

Farrell doesn't think he's a LF though. This kid is seriously opening up some eyeballs. We need to find a place for this young man soon. Hold him out for 2 weeks but for heaven's sake bring him up then. I don't care if he plays SS. Get him in the game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Moon, when I looked at your pitching stats above, what was so shocking was my concept that Bard had a "terrible" year, yet when you look at those above, he didn't look so bad in comparison.  It would be hard to imagine that we couldn't improve on those numbers.  I'm excited by what seems a good relationship between our new manager and pitching coach and the progress in ST.  Even Boom is coming around on CERA...first day of spring, lots to be enthused about...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Moon, unless we start dealing prospects, the guys competing for these last few jobs are all either on minor league contracts or will fetch very little in a trade. And a few of these guys, like Overbay, Carp, Sweeney are not likely to take a demotion to AAA, more likely to become free agents and go somewhere else. We are also faced with the dilemma of what to do for April 1st then what to do when Drew and Papi are ready. Not sure I'd want to be making those calls, but there are others getting paid to do just that. What I would do is keep the kids (Bradley and Iggy), the heck with the free-agent clock. I know Iggy is not subject to that issue. But the only way to keep them is to play them.

What was our biggest problem last year? Pitching! You want to fix the pitching? The pitchers are already throwing great, adopting what Farrell and Nieves are preaching. The only missing link is making our up-the-middle defense spectacular, and with Pedroia and Iggy we would have the best middle infield defense in baseball, Add in an outfield of Victorino, Ellsbury and Bradley and you probably back up the best middle infield with the best outfield. Want to talk CERA, how about DERA? Defensive earned run average. Pitchers want to throw strikes when they know that balls put in play are going to be handled.

Farrell has stated that he doesnt view JBJ as a LF'er. That tells me that unless hes playing CF, hes more likely to start the year in AAA... Ellsbury has looked awful at the plate and all these weak grounders to 2nd tell me hes not trying to go with the pitch and maybe go the other way. Instead hes trying to overswing (looking for the longball for a bigger contract?) and rolling over on the ball. He needs to just make contact and go with the pitch and be patient.

Personally, I would keep Nava in Boston. Hes better than Carp or Sweeney. Nevermind options, hes 32 and should play.

Iggy starting in Boston is probably a safe bet at this point, but he better prove people wrong this year about his hitting. He still looks very over matched on offspeed stuff.

Thanks for the reports jid. Keep them coming!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I would agree with your statement if it was the same team. Unfortunately we were fielding a AAA team for the better part of 2 months to finish the season. sitting the regulars that were healthy in favor of rookies or scrubs.

We had one starter who threw the most inning in his career hit a wall and were filling in the 4 & 5  slots with guys like Dice-K (who didnt even cut it in Cleveland) and Aaron Cook. So basically we had no regular 3-5 pitchers.

Add in the BV factor and all the internal issues which are far removed this year as well.

Sorry, its not nearly the same team this year. You cant really compare the two IMO. Im not saying this team is a WS caliber team, but they are a lot better than some people he will give them credit for. Maybe some are just afraid of getting their hopes up and being let down again, which is understandable.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to UnionFallsNY's comment:

The assessment comparing last year with this year should also include the following factors:

The record number of injuries and trips to the DL last year.

The strong possibility that Beckett and Lester had off-seasons.

The impact of Bobby Valentine

The fact that the FO gave up with a month to go and auditioned the Pawsox roster at Fenway.

Lackey on the bench.

No Pedroia, Papi, Middlebrooks, Ellsbury, Bailey for significant parts of the season.

These happenings were ATYPICAL - not expected or projected.

Good post! ATYPICAL - good way of putting it. or last year was Murphy's Law, anything that could go wrong did go wrong. Seems everyone here wants to believe RS are a 69 win team, and that 15 game improvement would be unprecedented. Look RS have been winning 90 games prior to last yr for the past 10. The one loss that will hurt will be Agon, but Naps should be able to replace a alarge % of those #'s. But why can't for a change:

Ellsbury stay healthy for a yr

Lester / Buchholz get back to their career norm #'s

Lackey everyone wants to compare to the guy who pitched w/ shredded elbow for 2 seasons as a RS pitcher. While at his age probably won't get back to Angel #'s, should at least improve on RS #'s

Dempster everyone wants to look at small sample size and say his limited succes in AL will be his #'s for entire year? The guy was leading NL in era for much of early part of last season. I don't see a 5+ era for entire yr. A 4 era and about 13 wins not unrealistic.

Middlebrooks / Doubront continue to get better after promising 1st yrs w/ RS

Look a lot of bad things happened to RS last yr the chances of all that happening again are pretty slim, looks like Yanks now have that cloud hanging over them instead. But IMO RS will win closer to the 90 number than the 69 win team of last yr.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I also feel that using last year's team as a baseline is not useful.  But I do feel that a projection of around 84 wins for this team is reasonable.  As we all know, pre-season projections in baseball can be off by plenty.  I could see 84 turning to 90 if a lot goes right, and to 78 if a lot goes wrong.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

In response to UnionFallsNY's comment:

The assessment comparing last year with this year should also include the following factors:

The record number of injuries and trips to the DL last year.

The strong possibility that Beckett and Lester had off-seasons.

The impact of Bobby Valentine

The fact that the FO gave up with a month to go and auditioned the Pawsox roster at Fenway.

Lackey on the bench.

No Pedroia, Papi, Middlebrooks, Ellsbury, Bailey for significant parts of the season.

These happenings were ATYPICAL - not expected or projected.

Good post! ATYPICAL - good way of putting it. or last year was Murphy's Law, anything that could go wrong did go wrong. Seems everyone here wants to believe RS are a 69 win team, and that 15 game improvement would be unprecedented. Look RS have been winning 90 games prior to last yr for the past 10. The one loss that will hurt will be Agon, but Naps should be able to replace a alarge % of those #'s. But why can't for a change:

Ellsbury stay healthy for a yr

Lester / Buchholz get back to their career norm #'s

Lackey everyone wants to compare to the guy who pitched w/ shredded elbow for 2 seasons as a RS pitcher. While at his age probably won't get back to Angel #'s, should at least improve on RS #'s

Dempster everyone wants to look at small sample size and say his limited succes in AL will be his #'s for entire year? The guy was leading NL in era for much of early part of last season. I don't see a 5+ era for entire yr. A 4 era and about 13 wins not unrealistic.

Middlebrooks / Doubront continue to get better after promising 1st yrs w/ RS

Look a lot of bad things happened to RS last yr the chances of all that happening again are pretty slim, looks like Yanks now have that cloud hanging over them instead. But IMO RS will win closer to the 90 number than the 69 win team of last yr.

Its the same people that use Jon Lesters 2012 stats to define him, forgetting about the 4 years prior. I suppose its these kind of facts that dont work well for their arguement.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

After two very disappointing seasons, although one was still a 90 win season, this team has earned some degree of cynicism. But after watching this team for the past five weeks, fifteen games and a couple workouts, I am convinced that this team will at the very least win more than they lose. For those of you who are too young to remember, that is what Dick Williams predicted in 1967 when he inherited a next-to-last place team that is now most responsible for creating the Red Sox nation as we now know it. They took advantage of a season without a super team, unfortunately except for the Cardinals in the NL, to win a very close pennant race. I am not ready to declare that this team will win a pennant this year, but I have seen a lot of the AL East teams, they're all here in Florida, and no one is going to run away with the division just as no one is going to be blown away and left behind. Every team in the division could win the division or finish last in the division, that's the way I see it. 

The key word from many of the posts on this thread is "IF"! If Lester, if, Buch, if Lackey, if, Doubie, if Dempster, if Papi and so on. Not all of these lf's are going to have a positive outcome. I haven't seen Ortiz yet so I can't be too optimistic about him. But I can tell you that there is an energy here. It starts with the starters who have been working quickly, pounding the strike zone, and for the most part getting great results. Pedroia, Gomes, Napoli, Salty and Victorino are competitive veterans who hustle, who care, and who appear to be leading by example. The bullpen looks outstanding! And the defense looks at times, spectacular. Finally the kids; before this eason is over we will see very meaningful performances from Iglesias, Bradley Jr., Webster, Ciriaco, Holt, and one of either Linares of Hazelbaker. There is a ton of talent waiting in the wings.  

It should be a fun ride! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

To me, anything is possible in the AL East this year. A couple key injuries and TB is toast. NYY already have a lot of big injuries and if they lose even one or 2 of their starters for an extended period they may be out. It is tough to keep expecting their starters to be as good as they have been although Sabthia and Kuroda sure look real to me. I just can't go there with Toronto...something will happen and no way Baltimore is as good as they have been looking at least this year but they are certainly improving. I think with a little luck and a few guys stepping up we have a real chance. I don't expect anything from PApi this year though. If we get a good year from him I think we make the playoffs. The pitching is going to be much better than expected and we have some players who should produce some runs also. We don't have to be perfect. We just have to get to 90 wins.

It might only take 88 to win the East. Amazing how fast the East has fallen.

However, a quick exit awaits the winner.

Sections
Shortcuts